• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dallas/Fort Worth! - www.twitch.tv/tourneylocator at 7pm on Thursdays

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Wait, you were there, Denti? There was a game room created... before it got shut down. Otherwise, Animefest was fun. Also, Denti, I will not be able to attend the San Antonio tourney on the 18th. I found out that my coworker already has a week's worth of vacation in, and that day is included. =(

Epic Kovumon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I passed by him in the halls.

Speaking of which, I'm asking Jeramy if he can put Rufus on night crew with yall, I refuse to do it again.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
Wait, you were there, Denti? There was a game room created... before it got shut down. Otherwise, Animefest was fun. Also, Denti, I will not be able to attend the San Antonio tourney on the 18th. I found out that my coworker already has a week's worth of vacation in, and that day is included. =(
There was only Table top gaming at the con, due to the lack of an arcade manager(This is per Robert Jenks, Chairman of AF). Robert and I are due to talk next week about the future of the Arcade department because I'm interested in becoming Arcade manager for AF.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
There was only Table top gaming at the con, due to the lack of an arcade manager(This is per Robert Jenks, Chairman of AF). Robert and I are due to talk next week about the future of the Arcade department because I'm interested in becoming Arcade manager for AF.
Go for it. =) It would be awesome if you held tournaments (SSBB esp.) there as well.

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
By the way I'm gonna need more details about when we head out to San Antonio Denti...just you know...gas money and all that jazz...

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer

Epic Kovumon

Smash Journeyman
Upcoming Tournaments, don't miss out!

Smash Con Queso - (San Antonio, TX)
Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=284332
Date: Sept 18, 2010

Slast v2 - (Wichita, KS)
Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=282952
Date: Sept 18, 2010

Phase 14 - (Dallas, TX)
Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=285493
Date: Sept 25, 2010

Hobo 28 - (Houston, TX)
Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=284054
Date: Oct 9, 2010
Thanks, I'll add this to the OP.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Oh, you are always welcome to be in my carpool, Zane. Double Link team? Seriously, we need some practice. Anyone willing to host a smashfest sometime this or next week/end?

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I might, but I'm a bit worried that I won't have my homework done by then (major procrastinator + I always get stuck on assignments every time. >_>)

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
So here's a good question. Do you gotta have a name for yourself in order to be a hungry and notable contender for brawl?

So far from what i've seen in tournament play is that people who make a name for themselves have this higher echelon of authority and that's fine. You would think that they deserve it.

However names don't impress me. It's all about the individual player. I gotta have a feel for him or her. (no homo lol)

Now I've rarely gotten to play GNES and every time I've played him it's either close or he dominates me....yet I've never gotten to win against him. Reason why? He is that good. He's no slouch either, he's no one hit wonder, he's not a 15 minute in the spotlight kinda guy, he's GNES and you should be afraid. This is good considering he's legendary in my book. But outside of brawl and even in brawl, he's a fun guy to be around. We got to hang out, talk about whatever.....I can tell he's a good friend and a key player for the Texas Brawl community.

So to answer my question is yes AND no. It depends on what angle you prefer to look at it with.

But......

What I love about our community is that people have a chance to be the next Dphat, UTDZac or GNES/DOJO/Razer, xyro, denti, ALSM, kovu, Neo Batou, etc.....you just gotta work hard at it. Or even better, make your OWN name for yourself.....but during the process....

You will be gimped.
You will be timed out from MK shuttle loop if necessary.
You just gotta do it.

But also great players are just great people to be around in the first place. I've met plenty of them.

I won't lie. Just because I've seen UTDZac do well in tournaments...don't automatically assume that I'm gonna be a big fan of his. I've never played him so I really can't tell you what I think of him brawl wise. I just know he does a FANTASTIC job with tournaments and making a name for himself. But one of these days Zac I'll face you and I think that it'll be an awesome time. From what I can tell your a good person to be around and I appreciate that. You like to have fun while playing and that's something I adore about this game...to have fun period. That's what having a NAME FOR YOURSELF and being a great player is all about in my opinion.

Also let's talk about character choice.

When I play any game, I have this code of honor, in which I always have some sort of say so in which styles of play I deem worthy or unworthy. I didnt like MK, I never will and I never have....and I never had in the first place...but slowly yet surely I"m beginning to understand why people play as MK. He's a safe character. He's fast and a great choice for anyone to main.

Over the years I've seen people top the MK players too. Illmatic, Denti, myself included....so many of us choose our main as a sign of passion and respect. We don't have to conform to MK to place well in tournaments and that's good. But playing as MK I can respect that as well, so I would like to formally apologize if I may of offended anyone for playing MK just because he's the best character and whatnot. I respect that decision regardless of why you chose MK.

So with all of this it turns me into a better player in a sense. I may not get top 16 in tournaments for singles lately but I respect all the players of this game, even if they troll on purpose :laugh:

This is why Kovu and I created the DFW thread, we want everyone to play whoever you want and have fun while doing so. Sure we hate MK, but then again I'm a captain falcon main, so anyone who's Marth, Diddy Kong, Snake, or MK is going to give me hell haha....but don't worry it makes me a stronger player to play against them so I know how to do better in the long run.

Sorry it kinda took long to respond but it took time and dedication to put my feelings on brawl into words. So as your leaders Kovu and Batou always say, play hard, have fun and enjoy brawl. Don't let it get to you. Easier said than done, but that's why I'm here, to make you laugh after the BS has happened. Don't worry it happens to me in ALL games ranging from Third Strike to brawl so....whatever lol

Jiveturkey

Smash Cadet
I posted on the DFW thread already, but i thought i would post here as well to get more noteriety i guess....>.> either way i want to try to start hosting events at my place in Euless. I've been playing smash brothers for forever, and reading smashboards for a long time as well, but was just now introduced to the regional section haha. Neobatau, your post pretty much explains verbatum why i want to start hosting/attending stuff with this community. :) I look forward to playing with as many people as want to play.

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
Welcome to the DFW smashboards Jiveturkey, on behalf of the leaders and the great players who make this thread possible, we welcome you bro. If you want to start making smashfests, please post all the info, time, directions and whatnot so people will know what's up.

Well here's a basic intro. We play for competitive purposes but mostly we play for fun. We want you to have a great time playing brawl and not just brawl, just hanging out with us and getting to know us better as friends. That's what I think makes the brawl community here so awesome...whether it be Dallas, Lewisville, or wherever your from in Texas.

And thanks for liking the post. I am glad you can relate in one way or another.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman

2/3rds?!

get ***** dallas

edit: 3 spots still open for the carpool to SA this weekend

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=284332

If only I didn't have the meeting for the arcade manager job at AF...

Speaking of AnimeFEST, they put the arcade forum back up for next year. A request thread is already there. Everybody should pay attention to the thread as you know that I will because some of the games that will be in the arcade dept. this year will come from you. Please keep requests to PS3, PS2 or Wii since I'm sure that it will all that the convention can afford for this year. [Note: Not speaking for Staff, mind you.]

The only games that, if I get my way, will be there for sure is SSF4, Brawl, 3s, HDR, Marvel 3, Marvel 2, BBCS, T6, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, A DBZ game(probably Raging Blast 2), DDR, and Rock Band/Guitar Hero. I will get more based on requests, but you have to respond NOW!

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
Yeah. It was a really good fest. We need to get the Adam and Eve combo loaded soon. It's so good, it's sinful!
Oh no....more impressive than that...(which was **** impressive as it is ALSM )
It was a game ending combo with Captain Falcon/Zelda.
Man that **** was epic.
A knee to meteor smash :)

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
Team CREAM MACHINE!!!!! <3

Got 5th in teams I am super proud of our teamwork.
It's like customary now that we place high in teams.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
AnimeFEST status UPDATE: I talked to Robert about the arcade yesterday. Touched on a lot of different subjects that concerns the arcade. It was a fruitful meeting. Now it goes before the convention board to even have the department, which they should meet this week.

Here is what the con has as far as items are concerned, so that I can have a base to work with:
ITEM - AnimeFEST has - NEEDED
Monitors (in particular ASUS VH242H) - 0* - >16
Playstation 3 - 1 - 8
Nintendo Wii - 1 - 8
Xbox 360 - 6 - 8**
Playstation 2 - 1 - 5
Laptop - ? - 1
Mario Kart Wii - 0 - 5
Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 0 - 8
Super Street Fighter 4 - 0 - 8
Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - 0 - 8
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (PS3) - 0 - 8
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection - 0 - 5
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo: HD Remix - 0 - 8
BlazBlue Continuum Shift w/DLC - 0 - 8
Tekken 6 - 0 - 5
Naruto Game (Game to be voted on in the AF "Back Room") - 0 - 8
Assortment of Dance Dance Revolution games - 0 - ?
Guitar Hero and or Rock Band - 0 - ?
Dance Dance Revolution Dance Pads - 2? - (at least 2 per PS2 console)
Wii/PS3 VGA cable - 0 - 16
Dragon Ball Z Raging Blast 2 - 0 - 5
Xbox 360 VGA cable or HDMI cable*** - 0 - 8

* AnimeFEST has other monitors available, but they haven't been tested for lag, so I don't trust them.

** I honestly didn't think that there would be 360s available for use by the arcade department. I guesstimated 8 because of 4v4 events that could be happening with FPS such as Halo Reach and Medal of Honor. Vote on which FPS that you would like to see at AnimeFEST this year in the "back room" (Thread link below)

*** This is in case that the monitors do not support HDMI. I know that the ASUS monitors that I requested do, but I doubt that I will get a hold of enough of them for a true lag free arcade this next year.

AnimeFEST Arcade "Back Room" thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=286835

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Bump. Ok, so I'm thinking of either making my own carpool for HOBO 28, or maybe have O.T.L. make a carpool for Ft. Worth should he decide to attend. So, who's up for HOBO 28? I know Denti has plans, so he's out.

Possible Car Pool List:
ALSM
Batou
O.T.L.
Zane
Kovu

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
^ K, added you to the possible carpool list.

Just to let you guys know, I'm planning on leaving Friday afternoon, so I hope that fits into everyone's schedules.

Update: PJ (Shadow) is willing to house us, so Friday afternoon, we leave (I'll let you know specifically what time in due time); I'm also planning on meeting and hanging out with Deva and Xyro, so anyone else is welcome to join me after we arrive at our destination for the rest of the day.
Hype for HOBO 28, I'm hoping for a really good tournament experience. =)
Bring plenty of monies! Gas, food, whatnot, and MMs!

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Kk, added you.

Possible Car Pool List:
ALSM
Batou
O.T.L.
Zane
Kovu
Sanji Himura

6 people? O.o Keep in mind that not everyone is confirmed, it's just a potential number in a carpool. With 6 people, we might need two cars, IF there happens to be six people. I know I'm going, and O.T.L. is confirmed. I'm pretty sure Batou is up for this as well. Zane and Kovu are a maybe. We'll see.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Bump. Ok I have an actual confirmed carpool as of today:

Carpool:
ALSM
O.T.L.
Batou

Seeing as there are more people than my car can handle, hopefully someone else will be willing to drive. If not, priority goes to the the people who requested to be on the carpool soonest. I have two spots left in my carpool.

Possible add-ons:
Kovu (depends on job schedule)
Sanji Himura (If Batou goes)
Echo
Zane (yet to confirm with parents)

Final decision on carpool will be by no later than Oct. 6, 2010.

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
You should ask OTL if he can use a SUV or a van of some sort. I know he can probably ask his parents. This way a lot of us can go.

Top Bottom