• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

**Diddy Kong [Old] General Match-Ups**

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
oo well i wish i was there to play =(

p.s. i think diddy has a chance against metaknight for the fact that mk can't last that long in the air but mk can grab bananas as well as diddy. i'll say 6/4 or 5.5/4.5 mk's favor.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
Any advice against aggressive MetaKnights that are also good at gimping like M2k?? Thats my hardest matchup and the only match up that I feel like picking another character (Snake) Thanks.

-advent

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
While people answer Advent's question, I'll go ahead and initiate the next Matchup character.

- ROB -

ROB is an interesting to say the least. Both ROB and Diddy tend to be reliant on their projectiles.
Last weekend, I managed to beat my friend 'Accelerate's MetaKnight, but still lost to his ROB.

You'll find alot of people don't have Glide Tossing down as much as we do, but ROB's can be an exception to this rule as they have a use for glide tossing with their Down B. Meaning that if they pick up on how to make the bananas work against you, there's a good chance they might even pick up on how to chain them with glide tossing.

Of course, this is just my speculation.

What are your experiences?

Vall3y

Smash Lord
i have hard time KOing rob
when he gets to high % hes acting careful enough to make it real hard to land a good banana to a smash
so i found myself killing him with utilt\uair or fair in very high %
on the other hand he can KO you off the top easily
his nair is so effective vs like... all your air moves
well thats from one time playing rob , but it still seems to me its an uphill fight for diddy

Xionix

Smash Journeyman
With rob I find you have to constantly be spot dodging since many of them just camp on the side with their gyro/lasers. Throwing a banana directly at them won't always work since they can just shield and sit in one place. I find you have to throw the first banana at them, and follow with a second one where you actually make the attack. With Rob i feel like your best way to KO him is to dsmash or fsmash him when he's like 110%+ or try to aerial him while he's recovering (although his aerials are pretty strong considering his up+b). Also getting juggling a rob from underneath seems to be affective since he doesnt seem to have quick attacks that attack downward in the air.

Wafflekingz

Smash Cadet
I don't remember ever having too much trouble with rob, just sheild his gyro, or if u get a hold of it throw it along with ur bananas, he is a large target easy to hit like dk or bowser but he isn't as heavy so you can kill him at a lower %.

Also if u edgeguard him well and make him recover low at some point, all u have to do is use ur rocket barrel, charge it if u need to for timing if hes underneath u, u can spike him to his death.

Keep pressure up on him and use ur banana combos, watch out for his spot dodge to down smash and his f airs and f tilts and you should be fine just watch ur spacing.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Catch the gyro. Shorthop airdodge. Not easy to edgeguard with his uair. IF hes comin from below, throw a banana down or drop it to a dair. That'll stop the dair. And yes rob is hard to kill. I fought KDJs and Azens rob. Same prob. U win but with a high azz percent.

Count

Smash Champion
Thanks for the hints on defeating a rob. Last time I played one I did a good job controlling the gyro, but I've always felt that ROB is one of diddy's most difficult matchups and I've generally had trouble against him. In my opinion, one of diddy's most difficult matchups. 60-40 ROB? Thanks to vyse for updating this weekly.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Yea the main prob is killing him. Hes heavy. BTW use the barrel blast for his laser and gyro if needed to kill him or at least get damage.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
I'm totally with NL on this one. I never have a hard time controlling the match, although his projectiles can be a pain sometimes. The main problem is just killing him. ROB tends to out-prioritize my air game, so I'm mostly limited to ground moves for finishing him off. I find myself usually relying on a dash-attack to Utilt for most kills, with Fsmash/Dsmash getting occasional KOs.

saberhof

Smash Master
usually for kills vs a rob, i just try to look at his damage, and send him as low and far as possible, so i can attack with a Down Air, followed by a UpB, its really awesome....

so when you have the right damage, look for an attack that can send him down in a diagonal way, because that may be the only way you can spike/meteor him for a kill....i find no other way...

as far as the on stage fight, i find diddy pretty much rules, if he knows how to perfectly shield all he throws, then he wont have a problem...when he gets close, rolling away works, rob cannot really follow diddy that fast to catch onto his roll... though sometimes i fall for the usual, Bair, and get hit by the Front Hit-box, forgetting that the attack covers almost all his body >_>...

and as for approaching, bananas are extremely good, you just have to be careful if you leave them around, i hate when they grab your bananas and throw em at you...

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Yea its kinda gay. Dont bother tryin to gimp him. u kinda have to use bananas for everything since he out prioritizes the entire game lmao. basically if u grab him near the ledge and ur facing the ledge, bthrow or dthrow. u'll never get damage off throwing him off unless u have excellent aim with ur bananas and/or peanuts. Try to keep ur smashs fresh to kill him around 100% i guess. He IS the second lightest character next to jiggs.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Yea its kinda gay. Dont bother tryin to gimp him. u kinda have to use bananas for everything since he out prioritizes the entire game lmao. basically if u grab him near the ledge and ur facing the ledge, bthrow or dthrow. u'll never get damage off throwing him off unless u have excellent aim with ur bananas and/or peanuts. Try to keep ur smashs fresh to kill him around 100% i guess. He IS the second lightest character next to jiggs.
Yeah, I fought a GnW who I think probabyl faces good diddys regularly, he knew everything about the bananas I was so screwed.

IDK

Smash Lord
for lower kills on rob you can follow a spike with a stagespike using fair/bair etc. at the right percentage he'll run out of fuel just before the edge can be reached. i have a lot of trouble with ROB though. i think the two moves that piss me off the most are rob's dsmash and sidestep. i'm not sure it just seems like his sidestep is extremely long... and it gets way more annoying than other sidesteppers. but his dsmash is worse. it seems that almost every time he dsmashes me i will shield and it gets through somehow even at full shield. i know i could just spotdodge but then it has such little lag that he can follow with a grab so that i can't do anything. if i shield i still get attacked, but the grab gets me before i can punish. i've tried spot dodging twice but it's not fast enough, and rolling away gets punished. what do i do?

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Questions, the Barrels semi home... if you UpB in the air(when he's going to follow up whatever threw you out there with a Lazer) can you retain your Second Jump or no? I don't think I've ever bothered to think about my second Jump by the time I'm UpB'ing... it's always either an attack or a recovery, and I've already used my Jump by that point...

Plus i main Sonic so my UpB is enough of a jump to never need to try and use my Second Jump if I had it...

I had another thought, but I don't remember it now... shucks.

EDIT: What happens when Gyro's and Banana's collide?

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
U can save ur upb IF u didnt jump. So u lightly have to hold up to do it without jumping unless u have tap jump off.

Colbert

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much : ]
It wasn't a yes or no question. <_<

Unfortunately, with the lack of structure we have going on in this topic, it seems that this is just a "learn how to defeat xxx character" thread.

To be honest, saying "lollk i have no problem with meta hes ez to me" or "i beat the bets meta evar" doesn't mean anything when it comes to matchups. Matchups are 100 percent theory, and a real matches have no impact on them.

Good Example:

"I believe that Diddy Kong is at a 40-60 disadvantage with Snake.

Diddy doesn't have too much of a hard time with setting up his banana game due to Snake's ground oriented nature. Because Snake likes to camp, Diddy causes Snake some problems when pressuring. Diddy also can take advantages of opportunities when Snake is using his Sypher in a bad position and get a spike.

However, Snake's spacing, long dash attack, power, and weight all provide a significant problem for Diddy. Snake definitely has huge priority and range on his attacks/ tilts. A simple utilt, which outprioritizes Diddy's aerials, will kill Diddy at low percents. Throw in Snake's huge weight and it is clear that Snake definitely has an easier time KOing in this matchup."

Bad Example:

"I think Diddy ponez Snake cuz I always beat him! Even players that are like uber pro I can own and its like lol I totally know how to beat you n00bbb!"

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Wario, Peach and Falco are what Ive had the most trouble with so far

How is Wario not hard? He can eat the bannanas with no lag, can KO you easy and is hard to KO because he's heavy, has alot of priority over you, can be in the air a lot

Futile wrecked me.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
This is why I'm waiting for it, there's some good debate with respect to Wario. He can shut down banana game, kill well, survive long... but he can also be combod like the fatty he is.

Lol, he can also dribble if he grabs a banana, which is hilarious. Also, you're a bit hardcore NinjaLink. There's a difference between a character having a good matchup and a player just wrecking people worse than him, haha.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Im puttin up 5 vs peach videos as i type. For wario he DOES lag when he eats. He has to swallow the bananas.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Yeah, he has some small lag when he eats bananas, but it's not that much. Does anyone know if bite beats the kung fu kick? I'm curious, I don't have much experience vs very competent Diddys (and I'm not a very efficient one myself yet)... and all the ones I have played I've been able to beat by biting with good spacing to eat bananas (or them), gimping their rocketbarrels with fairs, outliving them, etc.

I donno. Diddy's aerials are quite good, and in many cases either beat out or trade hits w/ Wario's, hence why I've been lurking around waiting for discussion XD

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
It wasn't a yes or no question. <_<

Unfortunately, with the lack of structure we have going on in this topic, it seems that this is just a "learn how to defeat xxx character" thread.

To be honest, saying "lollk i have no problem with meta hes ez to me" or "i beat the bets meta evar" doesn't mean anything when it comes to matchups. Matchups are 100 percent theory, and a real matches have no impact on them.

Good Example:

"I believe that Diddy Kong is at a 40-60 disadvantage with Snake.

Diddy doesn't have too much of a hard time with setting up his banana game due to Snake's ground oriented nature. Because Snake likes to camp, Diddy causes Snake some problems when pressuring. Diddy also can take advantages of opportunities when Snake is using his Sypher in a bad position and get a spike.

However, Snake's spacing, long dash attack, power, and weight all provide a significant problem for Diddy. Snake definitely has huge priority and range on his attacks/ tilts. A simple utilt, which outprioritizes Diddy's aerials, will kill Diddy at low percents. Throw in Snake's huge weight and it is clear that Snake definitely has an easier time KOing in this matchup."

Bad Example:

"I think Diddy ponez Snake cuz I always beat him! Even players that are like uber pro I can own and its like lol I totally know how to beat you n00bbb!"
I understand how you feel. But I think the way the thread is going isn't a bad thing either. People are throwing out questions, and people giving them tips. This is a good thing, off topic, I'll grant you that, and unstructured as it is, it's still not a bad thing. Especially since it keeps the forum from getting with 'How to beat xxx?' threads.

Posts like the 'bad' example you gave in your post don't contribute, I'll agree with you, but I'm not going to be the one reporting them.

In light of what Colbert has said and indications from others, I'm going to say this. Feel free to discuss any character, and ask questions about them. Each week will have a focal character that people can speak their opinions on in particular. But people should also feel free to talk about other characters as well.

---

This week's focal character is Peach. There has been recent discussion about this matchup in several threads. I haven't played any good peach's in Brawl, so I'm not sure how to approach the matchup.

Floating is what throws off alot of Diddy's, messing up your ground game.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I've only fought a few good Diddy's but I will say this, Ground Floating is going to mess with your Bananas since Peach can't slip on them whilst Floating. If you get predictable with the whole 'Throw a Banana then Dash attack into the opponent whilst re-grabbing the Banana' thing, she'll Toad you. Watch out for Dair combos as always

Count

Smash Champion
Are we going to decide upon a specific advantage or disadvantage number for each character? I'm just curious. I don't have much experience vs solid peaches, so I will read this discussion with interest.

Krayn

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I fought a GnW who I think probabyl faces good diddys regularly, he knew everything about the bananas I was so screwed.

So basically what your saying is if you have mastered diddy you can beat any other diddy? No offense but thats a ******** statement. Thats like basically saying diddy is only good as long as the other person hasnt played with him.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Well it has some basis to it. If the opponent knows about the banana game and can either shut it down effectively or use the bananas for his own gain, one of Diddy's largest advantages is forfeit.

Don't think Watch has a good way to abuse it though, as his glide-tossing isn't easy, and he doesn't have a very effective way of picking up bananas.

Top Bottom