• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Directional Influence - Episode 55 - The Final Episode

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
PodBean is down or something. I can't download. Whatever i'll just listen on my laptop.

Edit: Nvm the little bar isn't working either. Guess i'll just wait.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
You sure? I just checked the player at the vVv post, it's working fine for me.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Alright, I re-looked over everything and it doesn't seem like there was a problem originally, but if there was it should be fixed.

Also, in other news, I now have a blog: http://dlaskyblog.wordpress.com/

I'll be updating that with not only the new episodes of this, but also fiction writings, random blog posts, and whatever. The reason I'm posting this is because I'll probably be blogging before, during and after the show concerning that said episode, so check it out for a pretty insider scoop on the making of the show, as well as...well, whatever else I write about. Make sure you subscribe and comment!

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Episode 24 - It's Completely Justified (March 15th, 2011)
Listen in!
This week on Directional Influence, Rapture and PD discuss the scrub mentality and perceptions of fighting games by non-fighting game fans, as well as going over how awesome Spencer is in MvC3 while commenting on side events at tournaments (the pros and cons of having them, etc.) and the current state of Japan.

You can check out Stemage here:
Stemage's "Metroid Metal" Homepage

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Different people had different opinions. Some people had a glorious time, while others were just miserable.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Episode 25 - Sodium Levels Rising (March 22nd, 2011)
[Listen in!
Rapture, Will, DMG, Vinnie and Sillykyle talk Whobo 3, including the competition, upsets, Will vs Rich Brown, the rave party, stories and a whole lot more. Let's just say a lot went into this making this episode actually happen.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Haha, sorry Espy. To let you in on a little secret, we record on Mondays, but because of some scheduling issues, we couldn't record Monday night, though we release the next day on Tuesday. Thus, we had to record very quickly after I got home from school and immediately release the show once we were done, so it wasn't going to be very long. That right there is essentially a raw recording without much editing, besides the music and whatnot.

So that's why it was short. xD

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
New episode out tonight everyone! We got...damn...over half a dozen guests this episode. xD

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Episode 26 - DMG's Johns (March 29th, 2011)
Listen in!
Rapture, Will and Punishment Divine are joined by 5 guests from across the Smash land to talk about camping effectively in Brawl, as well what truly defines a top player, which spirals into usage of lower tier characters as opposed to higher tier ones. After that, DMG johns, Verm goes hard and them Waddle Dees get up in our business. Listen in to one of our most packed episodes yet!

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Wow, a ton of hits for this weeks episode, thanks everyone!

Unjustly plug, check out the latest entry in my blog! Click here! I'd love some subscribers and the word being spread around.

Anyway, next week, we'll be having a very special guest, one who was on episode 15...Alphazealot!

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Episode 27 - The Zealot Returns (April 5th, 2011)
Listen in!
After a long weekend at MLG Dallas, the one and only Alphazealot joins Rapture and PD to discuss the upcoming BBR-RC Unity Ruleset. While going into all the details about it, AZ also gives his thoughts on the future concerning this new announcement, as well as weaving a yarn about his experience at Dallas and how hype we all know Starcraft II was.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Episode 28 - The Steamroll Effect (April 12th, 2011)
Listen in!
A week after the release of the BBR-RC Unity Ruleset, vVv Gaming's Chibo, top Lucario player Junebug, and the doubles god himself, Inui, join Rapture and PD to go over the upcoming Clash of the Titans 5, the career of Junebug, and the launch of said ruleset.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Episode 29 - The Future of Many (April 19th, 2011)
Listen in!
It's a week off for many of us, but we don't rest here at DI. This week, Rapture and Will discuss the rumors of a Wii 2, the local NY/NJ scene, and more. Check out this casual episode with some news, discussion, and an insider look at how we do DI.

You're always hungry for those comments ^.^

I'd be a skeptic of Nintendo releasing a Wii2 so soon. The 3DS released like a month ago. Would they really want to deter the hype/sales from their new biggest innovation? I have doubts. Nintendo really really really x9001 loves sales and the Wii ***** XBOX360 and PS3 really really really x9001 hard in sales. I don't think they'd drop their current strategy

The rumors are just way too good to be true. As mentioned before, (current) Nintendo appealing to hardcore gamers doesn't seem right. Secondly, the controller is going to be like a GameCube controller + a touch screen. Is this the next step up from the motion controls? Then again, Nintendo's always done some big changes with each new console's controllers. There's also the price I'm worried about. The wiimote costs $40, then add a nunchuck ($20) and you're looking at a $60 controller. I'm a bit worried about the price. And would players really be able to easily see both the TV screen and the controller screen simultaneously easily?

I don't know about the next Smash game. Sakurai ruined barlw (it's a bad game. FACE IT!!!! ...compared to Melee and Smash64). He went far out of his way to ruin the tournament scene for this game. He's a stubborn fool forcing his ideals on his buyers. Sadly, Iwata once said he doesn't want the next Smash game to happen without his efforts. Or something worded kind of similarly to it. Another reason why the game sucks is because HAL didn't make it. Sakurai's own little group, Sora LTD, worked on it and I don't know how good or experienced they are at making games. In an ideal world, Retro Studios would be developing Smash4. They're good. VERY GOOD [I don't follow gaming news much anymore, so there may be a few inaccuracies]

I disagree with how common going to tournaments and not entering is becoming. It ruins the tournament for everyone as well as it kills your own interest in the game. When you stop competing, you stop caring. It's bad. Why play the game to improve if you're never going to test yourself? It's like studying in college. Imagine if there were no exams, not even finals, and all you were told to do was study at home. Not many would be able to push themselves to learn stuff. The point of college is to get smart (to get diplomas and fancy jobs). The same logic can apply for video game tournaments. Your placements are a reminder of how good you are among your community. Every tournament is always a test

But people shouldn't play the game solely to be the best. Only a few can shine above everyone else. You're not Naruto or whoever anime protagonist you watch on TV. Play the game because you like playing the game. So what if losing's bad? half the time someone loses the game and it will always happen in every game. If you really don't want to lose, you could try never playing the game again and your problem is solved forever

Tournament are a different way to play the game. It's adds hype, suspense, pride, glory, or whatever you could see it as to the game. Money on the line gives players that push to play their absolute best. There's no other feeling like it. The best feeling is when you're in grand finals with everyone watching and you lose 0-3. You get paid your 30% of the pot money and then you look at the winner's 60%. It will ignite a new fire in you. It's the best feeling I've ever felt about this game

But for those who play and put money in the pot without getting any of it back, I can understand the lack of money concern. I personally think that locals should not be $10 because it discourages the bad players from joining. Sure it entices the best from farther away to show up but the winner's aren't the ones losing anything by competing. But then there's venues which cost money to rent and venue fees seem to commonly be $10. Is it really that bad if an event entry fee is less than the venue fee?

Some players know I never compete anymore and only record for youtube, but I think I'm going to start competing again. But only for doubles. Teams aren't really popular in Melee and they need an extra boost in participation. I record off of 2 different setups at the same time and no one ever plays on the secondary setup during 2v2's. I think I'm easily capable of competing again while still getting what I want on youtube

Watch me, I'm going to be that Rapture to take out a good team in a tournament, and my partner's going to be that other rapture too ^.^

I might have an easy idea on how to help get you noticed better: What if your podcasts get uploaded to a channel with a lot of subscriber's like VideoGameBootCamp? Or is there some part of the vVv contract that restricts it from being uploaded outside of the vVv site?

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Episode 30 - Paid In Gum (April 26th, 2011
Listen in!
This week on Directional Influence, the cast discusses some of the latest news in gaming, gives a report on their experience at the third installment of Uprise of Long Island, then discuss the presence, importance, and usage of money matches in power rankings. We also learn that Rapture is rather good at passing time and that paying people with Trident Layers actually works.

I'm starting to change my perspective on the Project Cafe rumors. It might be more real than I initially thought. The only real way to know anything for sure is to see what happens at this year's E3. A recent rumor mentioned Smash4 will be a playable demo and if Nintendo is seriously going to reach out to the hardcore fans again, maybe there's a chance of a true sequel to Melee? 1.5 months of waiting can't be too long to find out

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'd REALLY rather not see a "true sequel" to Melee.
Just get Brawl, and make it better, is all I want.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Honestly, the best kind of game will take the best of Melee, the best of Brawl, and then add new things. I don't want a Brawl 2.0 or a Melee 2.0. I want SSB4.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Episode 31 - Bathroom Beatbox (5/3/2011)
Listen in!
E3 is so close, we can even taste it! And with the Wii 2 appearing, we just can't get over the hype we feel, so this week on DI, we present new rumors about the console and discuss our involvement in E3, as well as learn about sketchy people in creepy bathrooms and all about the people behind the Smash Lab. You probably won't want to miss this.

Rapture talking about candidacy for Smash4 development said:
Number 1: Project Sora is probably not involved at all
VICTORY! WE HAVE ACHIEVED VICTORY!
Sakurai is Project Sora, right?

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Episode 32 - The Peaches Get Peachies (5/10/2011)
Listen in!
This week on Directional Influence, Vinnie stops by to talk about his success in Florida, Illmatic finally finishes downloading Skype so he can tell us about his Smash career and where it is headed, Rapture becomes a poet, and we all laugh at the expense of our favorite Long Island Wolf main.

Top Bottom