• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
We're all holding our breath in anticipation for the new guide.
Hope you dont die before then, especially since people wanted a ****in matchup section. XD

So, yeah. Reaper's friends need to learn to DI.
You could say that about any combo vid that isn't entirely compose of chaingrabs/grab combos.
Ya know, after watching it again, i can say most of them were DIing. That's the prime example of why you dont DI into the ****.

****Edit****

Got some bad news elven, looks like another day went by that i didnt work on the guide. :p

ATLEAST I WASNT PLAYING HORRIBRAWL ONLINE THIS TIME.

Actually, there's still time for me to put a little bit on there, question is will it happen?

DRD

Smash Lord
I was at Rx's tourney today, and I played doc, but I lost =[
My first match was against Marin, wo is possibly the best peach in florida, which sucked
I hadn't read anything on peach lately; all I knew was that Corneria was a good Doc stage

I got 3-stocked first match, and counterpicked corneria
I 2-stocked her, which I found shocking
Because I sort of suck

It was just really easy to play there, I didn't expect stages to matter that much

But then she counterpicked Dream Land =(

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
The last clip was my favorite.

Also, where'd you get the name Dogysamich? And what happened to your Thirst sig, it was pretty awesome.
*sighs*

First, you have to realize that it comes from my last name, Dogan. So, (being technical), alot of people call me "dawgy" when it's actually "Dough-gee", but I dont ever complain because i know for a fact it LOOKS like dawgy.

So, years ago (11 years ago? i think) I was walkin down the street with my friend Tommie. Tommie was a fat black kid who had just moved into my neighborhood from Macon (one of the worst cities in Georgia). One day, we were walkin to my house and he said to me "Ya know what man, when we get to your house, I wanna Dogysamich." And I replied "WTF is a dogysamich?". He says "***** ITS THE SAMICH YOU GON' MAKE ME".

And for the rest of the time i knew him, he kept calling me Dogysamich. It just stuck. Oh but it didnt stop there. He called my mom "Momma Dogy" and my Dad "Daddy Dogy."

.... and that's the end of the story.
I was at Rx's tourney today, and I played doc, but I lost =[
My first match was against Marin, wo is possibly the best peach in florida, which sucked
I hadn't read anything on peach lately; all I knew was that Corneria was a good Doc stage

I got 3-stocked first match, and counterpicked corneria
I 2-stocked her, which I found shocking
Because I sort of suck

It was just really easy to play there, I didn't expect stages to matter that much

But then she counterpicked Dream Land =(
Marin? Really? I dunno if you're sucking up to her or what, but I can think of 3 peaches in FL that would probably give you nightmares (XiF not included).

Marin's kool though, im not hating on her or anything. (I hope she makes it up to TO4... and zoro too i guess. >.>)

____

Dreamland vs Peach actually isnt as bad as you would think it is. Peach doesnt really have anything to send you out at a low angle, so you will be able to live longer than you normally should. Granted, she'll be living for a long time too, d.throw f.air still kills (i think, i forget, i have to check, i just do it anyway).

Corneria isnt a bad counterpick, either. Although peach can turnip spam to defend the fin, she really doesnt have much to defend her from above. I mean, yeah she's got upsmash, which is actually good (the sweetspot is actually on her shoulders, if i remember right?), and she's got... uptilt? (For like, all 3 peaches ever that use it?) Beyond that, she doesnt really have anything (u.air aint doin **** unless you just fall into the ****).

And as for her coming down, yeah she's got d.air, but that's not that big of a threat alone.

___

Who else did you play?

DRD

Smash Lord
Marin? Really? I dunno if you're sucking up to her or what, but I can think of 3 peaches in FL that would probably give you nightmares (XiF not included).
nah I don't have any reason to suck up to her

its just what I've heard/read; I still don't know most of the smashers in florida

____

Dreamland vs Peach actually isnt as bad as you would think it is. Peach doesnt really have anything to send you out at a low angle, so you will be able to live longer than you normally should. Granted, she'll be living for a long time too, d.throw f.air still kills (i think, i forget, i have to check, i just do it anyway).

Corneria isnt a bad counterpick, either. Although peach can turnip spam to defend the fin, she really doesnt have much to defend her from above. I mean, yeah she's got upsmash, which is actually good (the sweetspot is actually on her shoulders, if i remember right?), and she's got... uptilt? (For like, all 3 peaches ever that use it?) Beyond that, she doesnt really have anything (u.air aint doin **** unless you just fall into the ****).

And as for her coming down, yeah she's got d.air, but that's not that big of a threat alone.
Maybe I got psyched out because I thought it was a bad stage, I dunno
Or maybe she's just better than me :ohwell:

___

Who else did you play?
In melee singles, losers bracket was my second match
my opponent was Mana Lord x_x

First match was FD, his Marth against my Doc
He 4-stocked me, which was expected

Next round, I figured there was no way I could possibly beat mana lord, so I picked pichu, and chose Corneria.

I got two kills on him before he beat me, and on my 3rd stock I was at 215%

It's pretty pathetic that I'm better with pichu than with Doc :dizzy:

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Peach's usmash sweetspot is on her shoulder, yah. Her nair hits below her, I think.

Don't get psyched out. One of the worst things to do is to make excuses for yourself like "Oh, this is a bad matchup" or "This is a crappy stage" or "I'm having a bad day". None of those help you. Just play.

Maybe he was sandbagging your Pichu...

EDIT: Also, now that I have a last name, I can actually add you to my AIM list =P

DRD

Smash Lord
Peach's usmash sweetspot is on her shoulder, yah. Her nair hits below her, I think.

Don't get psyched out. One of the worst things to do is to make excuses for yourself like "Oh, this is a bad matchup" or "This is a crappy stage" or "I'm having a bad day". None of those help you. Just play.

Maybe he was sandbagging your Pichu...
I don't doubt it

maybe I should main pichu and see what happens

EDIT: Also, now that I have a last name, I can actually add you to my AIM list =P
Why would that matter?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Because I'm terrible with remembering screen names and I have nicknames for everyone on my Buddy List and I'm too OCD to just have Dogysamich sitting there... although I don't think I'll remember who Ethan Dogan is, but whatever.

Falcinho

Smash Ace
I know Reaper, he's a talented smasher so i don't want to say anything against his vid.

But srsly, most clips in the vid were against noobs =/

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
So, yeah. Reaper's friends need to learn to DI.
I'm 100% sure they know how to DI, they just DI'd incorrectly in those vids. People do mistakes with DI all the time b/c incorrect prediction of what the person they're getting combo'd by is going to do (example: they survival di cuz they expect a fsmash but instead they get Uair'd again)
if you wonder why they DI'd wrong everytime, it's b/c if they would have DI'd perfectly those clips wouldn't have been in the vid in the first place. just b/c they weren't diing (and teching) as well they could've in those clips doesn't mean they suck.
There is no combo video where the people getting combo'd are di:ing perfectly. (except if it's like chaingrabs, and maybe falco combos on fast fallers)

Falcinho

Smash Ace
yeah, but at higher levels of play you also need good reflexes to change your DI very fast.

And when you do survival DI and 4 uparis ina row and then don't DI the fsmash properly, that's a bit bad =P

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
^^really? O.o which attack should you SDI?

-falchino: i watch that vid a few hours ago and I dont remember the DI being THAT bad... at all >.> maybe my memory fails me tho, when in the vid?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Lol, awesome story.

Is it bad to have trouble in Doc vs Link? It's the bombs mostly >_>
I honestly wouldnt think it is, because we always talk in here like caping links bombs is the end of the story.

That's not really the case. Good links know how to deal with their bomb game getting nerfed/nulled. Although yes, you do want to reverse cape because it's easier than caping forward. (If you want to know the technical stuff behind it, it goes something like this: bombs are multihit, and if they get touched by 2 hitboxes they explode. The cape has 2 hitboxes, one "reflect" shell that goes around doc, and one actual hitbox on the cape, if the bomb gets hit by 2 hitboxes it explodes. I actually think it goes by if it gets hit it explodes which is why you cant cape it (cause it has a hitbox), but you get the point.)

But the think that link has on doc (which actually can make the match kinda hard) is that link has range on doc. Fighting a Link is kinda like fighting a marth, in that you have to get inside his range or stay completely out of it. The difference is; against link, if you're out of his sword range, you're in his projectile range, and although you beat him in a spam war he can cover more. The other thing that's different is that unlike marth, link has hitboxes that stay out for days (u.air, d.air, n.air, d.tilt). So you have to deal with those differently than marths, which allow him to move faster.

No, there's nothing with you having problems with a link, it's not like Doc is a high tier or anything.

me and cosmo are going CRAZYYY we've got so much footage. I'll find some good vids and put them up tomorrow :smash:
Excellent. :D

nah I don't have any reason to suck up to her

its just what I've heard/read; I still don't know most of the smashers in florida
____
Maybe I got psyched out because I thought it was a bad stage, I dunno
Or maybe she's just better than me :ohwell:
____
In melee singles, losers bracket was my second match
my opponent was Mana Lord x_x

First match was FD, his Marth against my Doc
He 4-stocked me, which was expected

Next round, I figured there was no way I could possibly beat mana lord, so I picked pichu, and chose Corneria.

I got two kills on him before he beat me, and on my 3rd stock I was at 215%

It's pretty pathetic that I'm better with pichu than with Doc :dizzy:
I dont think i've ever played anything against marin (i mighta played her in some team friendlies at FAST1, i cant remember), but I will tell you this.

If somebody tells you a female is the best _____ in smash, they are normally just sucking up to her. IM NOT SAYING THAT TO BE SEXIST, it's just the truth, cause EVERYBODY does it. (Hell, ask me bout that Forkgirl edgeguard. XD)

The only exepction to that would be somebody saying emmy is the best zelda, cause that's possible (I mean, who plays zelda anyway? Zone? who else?)

But na, you wanna talk about FL peaches, you've got elliot, (I think) DoP, and MOTHER ****ING EXARCH.

__

Dont get hung up on the dreamland thing. The stage IS better for peach. No matter what way she looked at it, she had every reason to go there because you HAD to have been killing her "too quickly" on corneria (close walls, low ceiling). If she was killing you by edgeguarding, dreamland only helps her because she wasnt flat out killing you anyway, so wall/ceiling distance doesnt matter.

__

And man, dont think of it like being "a better pichu than a better doc". Maybe manalord was ****ing around? Or (and i say this half jokingly) maybe he knows how to fight a doc better than a pichu. As dumb as that sounds, if you've never REALLY played a decent lowtier, that happens. You're in Winter Park; hop over to Melbourne and see if you can catchup with Dguy or Angry Lobster, play their M2 or Ness (respectively, although I think i heard AL dropped ness when he got back into melee :()

or hell, go down south and catch Nick Riddle. >.>

No, it doesnt. It goes from her arms to her *** (yeah i had to go look at the hitboxes again to check. XD) but no, it doesnt go below her. And actually, you can catch her in her feet and be aight.

DRD

Smash Lord
I dont think i've ever played anything against marin (i mighta played her in some team friendlies at FAST1, i cant remember), but I will tell you this.

If somebody tells you a female is the best _____ in smash, they are normally just sucking up to her. IM NOT SAYING THAT TO BE SEXIST, it's just the truth, cause EVERYBODY does it. (Hell, ask me bout that Forkgirl edgeguard. XD)

The only exepction to that would be somebody saying emmy is the best zelda, cause that's possible (I mean, who plays zelda anyway? Zone? who else?)

But na, you wanna talk about FL peaches, you've got elliot, (I think) DoP, and MOTHER ****ING EXARCH.
I suppose so

I've never played a decent peach, so I couldn't tell the difference

Hopefully that will change as I start going to more tournaments and playing better people :)

__

Dont get hung up on the dreamland thing. The stage IS better for peach. No matter what way she looked at it, she had every reason to go there because you HAD to have been killing her "too quickly" on corneria (close walls, low ceiling). If she was killing you by edgeguarding, dreamland only helps her because she wasnt flat out killing you anyway, so wall/ceiling distance doesnt matter.
Now that I think about it, every kill she got on me was an edgegaurd

I really hate peach's recovery

It's too good
She would air dodge through my bairs and stuff coming down, and then float like all the way to the other side of the stage.

__

And man, dont think of it like being "a better pichu than a better doc". Maybe manalord was ****ing around? Or (and i say this half jokingly) maybe he knows how to fight a doc better than a pichu. As dumb as that sounds, if you've never REALLY played a decent lowtier, that happens. You're in Winter Park; hop over to Melbourne and see if you can catchup with Dguy or Angry Lobster, play their M2 or Ness (respectively, although I think i heard AL dropped ness when he got back into melee :()

or hell, go down south and catch Nick Riddle. >.>
I'm pretty sure he was ****ing around
he knew he would win anyways, so

Hm
that's kind of annoying :ohwell:

Actually it's Winter Haven. Winter Park is over near Orlando I believe

Jeez, you are so **** hard to quote
:p

otg

Smash Master
I really don't hope you think you're better then those people. >.>
(Not that your bad, I've seen your vids and I mean you're prolly better then me)
It's not even an issue of me being better than them, the only way to prove that would be to play. You can't judge people's skill of youtube vids to begin with (no less combo vids), but you can certainly tell how those combo's are not practical at all on decent opponents.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Peach is all tilted to the side through during her nair. And you can SDI any attack... so even set knockback stuff like waveshines aren't guaranteed.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Oww I hate Link's up b, luckily I'm used to it haha. :3

Sago

Smash Lord
i've heard a viscous rumor that the doc boards think marth is an easy matchup for doc? If so i dont know what the hell your all smokeing. Marth out ranges and out prioritises doc in every way.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Oh no, I know a few Marths and boy are they good, man. Sure but Doc can find a way to get in and try to not get hit. :3 Although against someone like Zoro, lol I get three stocked, too good.

Marths are scary. D: (well their swords)

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
Marths are scary. D: (well their swords)

xD Agreed. The man himself isn't all that terrifying.. just.. gah.. that sword. I think Marth is still my personal worst matchup, I dunno how other Docs are doing against him. One of my crewmates is a pretty decent marth, and even though I can smoke most of the rest of his characters, his Marth gives me alot of grief. The feeling is like walking uphill through molasses; for every three or four hit combo Doc manages to get off, Marth can sweep it all away with a nice gimp or a few decent movements of the sword. It is -really- difficult to get it on a smart Marth, even if their tech isn't all that spectacular; it makes this, at the very least, a rather exhausting matchup. You really have to work for every KO..

otg

Smash Master
I just want to point out the usage of Periods in my last statement. Maybe you guys don't know how they work, but they tend to end statements and sentences. So when I said, "I **** link for breakfast."(<--- note the period) and than followed that up with "So I'm gettting bored with Smash" they are two different points entirely.

But yeah, I still play but I don't have any motivation to play or get better anymore. I don't care enough to go out to tournies, so wtf is the point in playing?

Edit:

Also, whoever said that the Doc Boards think that Marth is an easy matchup need to only go back a page or two to realize how ****ing dumb they are.

He's not losing interest. Me and him are supposed to play soon, so I'll **** him back into having some interest. (or try to and get 3 stocked >_>)
lol yeah.. well It's not that I don't want to play. I just used to get a kick out of learning new things and learning new matchups, but now I just don't give a **** about getting better anymore. Too much Fox I guess lol.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Well for some reason "so" makes us think that it was linked with the link statement, not that I can remember if "so" can be used to start sentences anyways, lol. (like I said not that I can recall haha)

Also, I also have had this bump. Here I am trying to get better, but then realize I am bad at almost everything, and I stop playing. Why should I keep playing? I think I have reached my peak anyways, what else can I do? I'm also confused..... >_> But you know what? I still like playing, and I keep playing... Well when I have time.

Top Bottom