• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Duke Biweeklies:Smashin' with Passion: Round 6

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Danny and I would bring a setup, but we don't own a CRT TV that can realistically fit in our car. :glare:

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
Basically it gives players who arnt pr'd or something or someone who would be consider a lower seed a chance to play other players cause they dont wanna get eliminated so fast and it gives them a slight chance to get lucky and beat someone who would be seeded higher, even tho that shouldnt happen.
oh I just read this.

Now I'm not really sure if you're defending or arguing against pools. Cause everything I see in there is a positive (except for the characterization of the last part).

more tourney sets = better tournament experience (interpreted both ways: more experience to grow and an overall more pleasurable time; you get your money's worth)

better seeding: I don't see it as getting lucky; I see it as a way for inactive players or bracket-****ed players or new players to show their skill before going into a new tourney. That way they can be more properly seeded.

The main reason I like pools is cause when I was first starting out the first 2 people I always (and I literally mean always) played were 1 of the 3: werk, stock, and foxy. I literally went to 6 tourneys in a row to only play those 3 people in a tourney set. That is where most of my frustration with ROB, Samus, and MK originated from (but has since disappeared).

What happened to me (and I'm sure what happens to other people) was: I didn't get a varied set of tourney matches, I constantly got the same seed cause I had no opportunity to actually beat anyone in tourney (now I must stop and say this: I sucked and I still suck; and I am fully aware of this; however, there are players out there who may be moderately skilled but have 1 or 2 match-ups they have a mental block on or something of the sort; if they go against those 2 and only those 2 match-ups every time, they constantly recieive low seeds in a never ending cycle;), and I developed a very shallow scope of the tourney scene.

Well I'm past this (i.e. this hasn't been the case in months). So the argument for I'm being selfish and are using pools for my own benefit is null and void.

But we have lots of new players and lots of less experienced players who may be experiencing the same or similar scenarios.

Pools offers every player a plethora of opportunities: they get the chance to actually beat someone in tourney and hopefully improve their seed (even in future tourneys that just seed people and don't use pools; at least they were given this chance to actually beat someone in a tourney set); they get a wider range of match-up knowledge; they get to experience a wider set of playstyles; they get the actual experience of what tourney level play is.

2 sets a tourney is going to do little for you. 5,6,7, or even 8 sets a tourney will do tremendous for you.

friendlies and smashfests are good but they don't offer you the same opportunities that a tourney set does.

So now I've finally said my peace. I know I already said 'end argument' but now I actually mean it. I'm absolutely convinced that pools offer a great amount of good. This is the real world. There are time contraints. We work around them. No prob.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
Danny and I would bring a setup, but we don't own a CRT TV that can realistically fit in our car. :glare:
bring it anyways I 4 tvs and 4 setups. And then there is the huge flat screen at the venue that has been confirmed to have 0 lag. And then I have my led tv that has very minimal lag with hd cables (which i have). So basically we have 2 extra televisions. And if we do end up with more wiis than televisions, I have a friend who has a 19 inch crt that I could go get. So bring the setup anyways!!!!

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
Would we still get our door fees waived?
any setup or partial setup that is used gets the door fee waived

steps back a moment and emphasizes that splitting a full setup into 2 partial setups will not fly.

Now that this is settled, I must rephrase what I said. All wii+brawl get door fee waived. All just televisions get $1 off.

This all assumes the setups can be used.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I might text you halfway through for encouragement stingers, be sure to prepare some uplifting statements.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I'm thinking about coming. Probably leaving in around an hour.

Does anyone need a doubles partner?

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
vice beAT shady.

me and vice were in WF

i 3-1d him.

2-0d everyone in brac except vice

vice is waiting for someone in lf

- Mongoose

Killanator90

Smash Journeyman
Thnx for showing me how much i suck at the game. I have a lot to learn before i can get better

Dublio

Smash Ace
So what got recorded? Grand Finals, Loser Finals, and Winner's Finals? Looking forward to seeing how the matches turned out. :D

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
Will post brackets by monday.

but:

Singles:

Keith
Shady
Vice

Doubles:

Keith and Shady
Vice and Stock
Uncle and _______(I forget)_______

LT Singles:

Shady
Uncle
Stock

V1CE

Smash Champion
It felt like there was more than 17 people there... it felt like 25 haha. Shoutouts to 5 hour energy for helping not fall asleep while playing keiths wario. Shoutouts to that awesome and random anime convo. Mad fun tourney.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
this tourney was really fun.

shoutouts will go on results page when ev dat comes through.

- Your friendly neighborhood MonGo0sE

Top Bottom