• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Eldiran's PSAs 'n' Stuff: Newest - Zero 1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kk Eldiran, I've been researching Zero's Unequipped Side-B, or UESB for short, and I've discovered A LOT.

It's gonna be a while before I make a super lengthy post about that, but here are the highlights of it:

-New AT!
-Boosted Aerial
-Z-air-grab rush

and....

-WALLJUMP OMG TEH EPICNESS

If any of that is know already then nyeh I'm still gonna post it as a research compilement post.

S84 PATCH

Smash Rookie
How do you add CSPs and stock portraits? That Zero looks so cool but I'd like to get everything to make him look like he was originally part of the game. What folder do i put them in? Thanks in advance!

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
I'm working on a certain evil zero texture *coughX6cough* and his stupid eyes keep screwing up... it looks cool though, so I'll just make him a little darker and then I'll post pics.

Zokay, if anyone has a capture card and a Youtube account AND would be willing to upload about 6 replays for me, that'd be awesome.

Also, has anyone figured out how to cancell the jump forced by Zero's DSmash? I've done it twice, but it was by accident. :/

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
I'm working on a certain evil zero texture *coughX6cough* and his stupid eyes keep screwing up... it looks cool though, so I'll just make him a little darker and then I'll post pics.
I've done my own version, but since I'm so new to texture creation that I didn't feel like it was worth posting it. I personally made him all washed out and faded, to give him a sort of ephemeral feel. However, all I did was change the hue and saturation on of the original red Zero, so yours will probably be better.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
I've done my own version, but since I'm so new to texture creation that I didn't feel like it was worth posting it. I personally made him all washed out and faded, to give him a sort of ephemeral feel. However, all I did was change the hue and saturation on of the original red Zero, so yours will probably be better.
Hmm... well, I was gonna do an emerald texture earlier on, but then decided that it might take away from him looking like zero, and just a weird-*** colored link... but then, if I didn't put much detail into the overlaying emerald... hmm, I'm gonna remake this lol.

S84 PATCH

Smash Rookie
I know it's probably a very newbie and common question but can someone answer it? Whenever I ask hacking teams they misunderstand me and tell me how to make them.

goaliedude3919

Smash Rookie
First of all, I can't wait to see what you've come up with Indigo-Jeans!
Secondly, I realized today that Zero has an absolutely horrid match-up against Fox. Almost to the point of being unfair
Thirdly, maybe this is just me, but I think the circular part of Zero's F-tilt should have a little less range. He can use it on the stage and hit someone trying to recover below the stage. It makes edge-guarding almost too easy.
Fourthly, I think that Uair should have more vertical knockback and less horizontal knockback
Lastly, the upward slash of Zero's jab combo seems really stiff. I don't know if you can do anything about this, but I think it needs to look a bit more fluid/natural if possible.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Secondly, I realized today that Zero has an absolutely horrid match-up against Fox. Almost to the point of being unfair
Thirdly, maybe this is just me, but I think the circular part of Zero's F-tilt should have a little less range. He can use it on the stage and hit someone trying to recover below the stage. It makes edge-guarding almost too easy.
Fourthly, I think that Uair should have more vertical knockback and less horizontal knockback
Lastly, the upward slash of Zero's jab combo seems really stiff. I don't know if you can do anything about this, but I think it needs to look a bit more fluid/natural if possible.
To add to this fellow's statement about N-Air, perhaps adjusting the saber location would make it look nicer. currently, the saber swipe beings on Zero's back, when it should begin at his hands.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
In MMX4, the circular slash is an automatic ability acquired Split Mushroom, so it isn't inaccurate. That's also the first time it appears.

This would be pretty cool, especially because it gives more incentive to actually charge to the second level rather than just using the first. Maybe something like X or Model X's second shot, with small effects around it to make it bigger? Adding a few Super Scope shots would work...

Either that or let him use a Zaneidan-style cutting wave projectile for the second one, like when fighting him in X2 or X5.
Ah, good to hear. I did use X4 as my primary inspiration.

I am certainly considering something more unique, seeing as I can't recally many blast-like objects...

Kk Eldiran, I've been researching Zero's Unequipped Side-B, or UESB for short, and I've discovered A LOT.

It's gonna be a while before I make a super lengthy post about that, but here are the highlights of it:

-New AT!
-Boosted Aerial
-Z-air-grab rush

and....

-WALLJUMP OMG TEH EPICNESS

If any of that is know already then nyeh I'm still gonna post it as a research compilement post.
Sounds good! I am very excited to read your infos.

How do you mean -- is it horrid for Fox, or for Zero? I can see it going either way, honestly. Zero's super high gravity should make him resistant to upsmashes, at least.

I bet that Ftilt is very excellent in B+. It doesn't really stand out in vBrawl.

Yeah, it is rather stiff. But I am also rather lazy :p To be honest, rather than refine every animation, I'd rather save my effort for when model hacking comes out and I can put Zero in proper. I will however balance this in case super-cool f'reals Zero never happens.

How do you add CSPs and stock portraits? That Zero looks so cool but I'd like to get everything to make him look like he was originally part of the game. What folder do i put them in? Thanks in advance!
I actually don't know how to do this either, at least in a way that doesn't interfere with a custom CSS. I believe there's something about InfFaceBrres files going into a portrite folder... but I don't know the proper directory structure.

To add to this fellow's statement about N-Air, perhaps adjusting the saber location would make it look nicer. currently, the saber swipe beings on Zero's back, when it should begin at his hands.
Yeaah, it's a tad ugly. But only if you pause! Well anyway the only reason I haven't changed this (it's not just laziness) is because I am afraid I will not be able to keep the attack's range the same. It's currently just long enough to look like it's the same attack as from the games, and just short enough to not be unbeatable.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Haha, true, true. Right, yeah the attack is more important than cosmetic things. If "f'reals" (lol) Zero doesnt happen, perhaps use PSM Code to remove the pouches/bangs and lengthen his cap (hair in zeros case)

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
Ah, good to hear. I did use X4 as my primary inspiration.
Not surprising, all of his moves afterward were just variations of them...

For the second level charge, I remembered that Awakening Zero in X5 has an interesting attack that could be used here. The Shingetsurin is a giant energy saw that fires forward, stops, and then homes in on the target. Without the homing part, a move like that could be interesting for spacing. Just a thought, I'd prefer the cutting wave.

At this point, what do you feel still needs doing? No real balancing issues have come up recently, and bugs are becoming less common. Besides using custom animations or models (eventually...), I think there isn't much that can be improved. Of course, that is the goal when making a new character, and you've worked really hard to make him as close to authentic as possible.

Maybe you should do a variation of Zero based on Omega or Awakening Zero for Brawl-, if they'd let you.

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
Very impressive. I tried to stay close to the appearance of the sprite, but some of your details (eyes especially) are much better than the one I did. I don't have any pictures except the CSS portrait, but my version is this. I'm starting to think the faded appearance isn't needed.

DL:http://www.mediafire.com/Zeruel21

This is the original, for comparison.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Very impressive. I tried to stay close to the appearance of the sprite, but some of your details (eyes especially) are much better than the one I did. I don't have any pictures except the CSS portrait, but my version is this. I'm starting to think the faded appearance isn't needed.

DL:http://www.mediafire.com/Zeruel21

This is the original, for comparison.
Oh... I didn't know yours was already done... sorry X_X I like your hair better, though. That thanks ^_^ about the eyes- I think that was only because I didn't index them. I found out later, but I thought it looked more like he had gone "insane". And yeah, I used a sprite sheet for reference too, thus some of the white on him is kind of tinted blue. I wonder how he would've looked as an emerald... probably not good, because you'd only be able to see the details close up.

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
Oh... I didn't know yours was already done... sorry X_X I like your hair better, though. That thanks ^_^ about the eyes- I think that was only because I didn't index them. I found out later, but I thought it looked more like he had gone "insane". And yeah, I used a sprite sheet for reference too, thus some of the white on him is kind of tinted blue. I wonder how he would've looked as an emerald... probably not good, because you'd only be able to see the details close up.
It's no problem, like I said this wasn't good enough for me to post at the time. I actually did a whole set of recolors, but someone else beat me to it >.> The only other one I'd make available for download is a blue based on Zero's alternate color from TvC, because no one else did that.

Looking at the sprite again, your purple is a lot closer to the original than mine.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Haha, true, true. Right, yeah the attack is more important than cosmetic things. If "f'reals" (lol) Zero doesnt happen, perhaps use PSM Code to remove the pouches/bangs and lengthen his cap (hair in zeros case)
Actually, I lengthened his hair for an animation or two, and was able to get it to work. Unfortunately, because the hair can't be concentrated into a single point (it comes out of his head as a big round blob) it just looked ridiculous. It was interesting, but it didn't look any good.

Not surprising, all of his moves afterward were just variations of them...

For the second level charge, I remembered that Awakening Zero in X5 has an interesting attack that could be used here. The Shingetsurin is a giant energy saw that fires forward, stops, and then homes in on the target. Without the homing part, a move like that could be interesting for spacing. Just a thought, I'd prefer the cutting wave.

At this point, what do you feel still needs doing? No real balancing issues have come up recently, and bugs are becoming less common. Besides using custom animations or models (eventually...), I think there isn't much that can be improved. Of course, that is the goal when making a new character, and you've worked really hard to make him as close to authentic as possible.

Maybe you should do a variation of Zero based on Omega or Awakening Zero for Brawl-, if they'd let you.
I remember that. It is an interesting idea, though I can't imagine what model I could borrow to make it.

I am currently basically just deliberating on what I could use to replace Link's arrow to turn it into an energy blast. I should actually take a look at some of the regular graphic effects for this, too... The only other change I am contemplating is whether I should make Zero's dtilt faster. It might have some good use against fast types, but I worry that it could be too potent against the heavies.

Eldiran, any chance of an ETA on Wisp & Zero v 1.3?
I think that once I change Zero's highest charge to something cooler, I'll be ready to release 'im. As for Wisp... pretty much indefinitely postponed, because for the life of me I can't think of a way to eliminate Jigglypuff while still keeping Jiggly's bone structure (and subsequently her hurtboxes) intact. Once I can do that... well, I'm pretty much done.

Well, as promised, I present to you, The Nightmare Virus:

D/L:
http://www.mediafire.com/?jtuomnyttim
Very nice work, guys! I will be putting these up on the main posts at some point.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
It's no problem, like I said this wasn't good enough for me to post at the time. I actually did a whole set of recolors, but someone else beat me to it >.> The only other one I'd make available for download is a blue based on Zero's alternate color from TvC, because no one else did that.

Looking at the sprite again, your purple is a lot closer to the original than mine.
Ah ok lol XD I'd love to see your blue zero. And who beat you do it..?

Actually, I lengthened his hair for an animation or two, and was able to get it to work. Unfortunately, because the hair can't be concentrated into a single point (it comes out of his head as a big round blob) it just looked ridiculous. It was interesting, but it didn't look any good.
Hmm... well, would editing the bones help? Also, I had done a similar thing to Link (to make it like Zora Link), and it looked okay... but there was a large... ahem... "growth" atop his head. It wasn't awful looking, but it did look odd. It looked much better when I turned it into an Oni Link model.

As for Wisp... pretty much indefinitely postponed, because for the life of me I can't think of a way to eliminate Jigglypuff while still keeping Jiggly's bone structure (and subsequently her hurtboxes) intact. Once I can do that... well, I'm pretty much done.
Wouldn't making her transparent (via texture hacking) do that? You could use it for all costumes since Wisp is a moveset, and you wouldnt be seeing any of the textures you've got anyway...

Very nice work, guys! I will be putting these up on the main posts at some point.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Hmm... well, would editing the bones help? Also, I had done a similar thing to Link (to make it like Zora Link), and it looked okay... but there was a large... ahem... "growth" atop his head. It wasn't awful looking, but it did look odd. It looked much better when I turned it into an Oni Link model.
That's pretty much what I did...

Wouldn't making her transparent (via texture hacking) do that? You could use it for all costumes since Wisp is a moveset, and you wouldnt be seeing any of the textures you've got anyway...
Unfortunately, none (or most) of Jigglypuff's textures can be made transparent.

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
Ah ok lol XD I'd love to see your blue zero. And who beat you do it..?
digiholic posted a full set of colors, names, and CSPs a while back. I had one more to finish at the time, but my colors were so different that I didn't post them. Basically, I went through the Megaman Zero Official Complete Works and did a few of the forms from MMZ2.

I put the TvC texture up on my earlier files, it's called "XformZero" because that was the other inspiration.

Edit: Ninja'd...

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Unfortunately, none (or most) of Jigglypuff's textures can be made transparent.
Aw! I was almost certain that would work! >:U

digiholic posted a full set of colors, names, and CSPs a while back. I had one more to finish at the time, but my colors were so different that I didn't post them. Basically, I went through the Megaman Zero Official Complete Works and did a few of the forms from MMZ2.

I put the TvC texture up on my earlier files, it's called "XformZero" because that was the other inspiration.

Edit: Ninja'd...
Oh ok, I'll go look for them.
EDIT: Wow, these are good... well, maybe you can put yours on Kitty Corp Gallery? If you ask someone from that team I'm sure they'd do it.

goaliedude3919

Smash Rookie
Eldiran, have you seen the topic about deleting model parts where some guy removed kirby's feet? Would it be possible to use that and remove all of Jigglypuff and put Wisp's texture over that? Forgive me if that's a stupid question, but I don't know how any of this stuff works.

Also, I think that increasing Dtilt's speed would be good and not crippling to heavies. Also, I think that the circle part of Ftilt needs to have a little less range, especially since it can go below platforms and levels. With it's slight spike effect, it makes it really hard for some characters to recover and makes edge guarding really easy while staying on the stage.

And in regards to my previous post, Fox seems to destroy Zero mainly because of his multi-hit moves and his speed. Pretty much all of his moves come out faster than Zero's which makes basically your whole game camping and prediction. You can't really go for a direct attack because (with just about any move) if you miss or he shields, he will punish you.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
^^I agree with goalie about Fox > Zero... seems like hes too slow or something. Also, I beat MMX4 with Zero today; THATS where the Fully charged F-Smash comes from!

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
Zero faring poorly against Fox isn't really a problem. Some characters simply have a difficult time beating others, which is a sign of overall balance for the entire game. Of course, that isn't what players want to hear...

I've tried to get around Fox's speed with hit-and-run tactics until they make a mistake, but that's a long and exhausting process. Range doesn't help much due to Fox's speed and ability to camp with lasers. The modified Shield Boomerang and Z-Buster might help here, by giving him some higher power moves that come out a little faster than his tilts.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Sorry for taking forever to respond... it's coming up on finals time :/ Otherwise I would probably even have the next version of Zero up already.

Eldiran, have you seen the topic about deleting model parts where some guy removed kirby's feet? Would it be possible to use that and remove all of Jigglypuff and put Wisp's texture over that? Forgive me if that's a stupid question, but I don't know how any of this stuff works.

Also, I think that increasing Dtilt's speed would be good and not crippling to heavies. Also, I think that the circle part of Ftilt needs to have a little less range, especially since it can go below platforms and levels. With it's slight spike effect, it makes it really hard for some characters to recover and makes edge guarding really easy while staying on the stage.

And in regards to my previous post, Fox seems to destroy Zero mainly because of his multi-hit moves and his speed. Pretty much all of his moves come out faster than Zero's which makes basically your whole game camping and prediction. You can't really go for a direct attack because (with just about any move) if you miss or he shields, he will punish you.
I actually asked VILE to delete all of Jigglypuff's parts for me, which he did, but there were problems. It worked great in most stages, but on certain areas (such as Smashville or the results screen) the game would glitch out crazily and lag severely. So, I'm not sure if it's the method VILE used or what... I asked RandomTBush while he was active to do try the same deal, but that was a long time ago. If anyone thinks they can remove Jiggly without glitching (or moving Jigglypuff's bones) please do.

As for Ftilt... I'll see how I can retool it to fix that issue. I am wondering, who it would help most against to speed up Dtilt? If it's the right people, I'll likely do it.

Yeah, I toyed around with Fox against Zero, and I can see what you mean. No doubt it'll be a rough matchup... do you feel that it's unwinnable, or even very bad? I don't have a decent Fox or Zero that I can play against to find out. I am willing to allow some bad matchups for Zero, after all.

^^I agree with goalie about Fox > Zero... seems like hes too slow or something. Also, I beat MMX4 with Zero today; THATS where the Fully charged F-Smash comes from!
Nice. That's like the best/most awesome move in the game. (Double jump aside.)

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Sorry for the double post, but I have a question to raise regarding Zero. Does anyone know how to access the graphical effect that comprises this:

I refer to the blue hadoken Joe fires. That would be exceptionally perfect for my purposes, but the graphic is not contained within Joe's files. Neither is it contained in Joeshot, oddly (Joeshot only has Params).

If anyone can locate this graphic, I will be indebted to them.

Alternately, if anyone has any ideas for good blaster-type graphics, that could also help. I'm coming to the point where I am considering merely recoloring Lucario's Aura Sphere to be light blue.

goaliedude3919

Smash Rookie
No worries Eldiran. I think a lot of people have been really busy myself with exams. I know I have been!

As for the Fox vs. Zero issue, things are probably much different between vBrawl and Brawl+. in B+, Fox is a very dominant character b/c of his speed, strong smash attacks, and he can wrack up damage quickly. W/ B+'s speed increase, I find it almost impossible to do well against Fox when I play my friend (keep in mind that this was when I was using Zero very often and would've considered him my main, whereas Fox is my friend's 7th ish best character). Now that's just us and that could have a lot to do with play styles and whatnot, but it's definitely something to keep an eye on for the future. When we go back to school (btw, my friend's also my roommate) we'll do some more testing with this matchup.

I have no idea where the file is but I can at least offer some suggestions. Possibly the ray gun blasts from the Ray MK II, or whatever it's called. Although it's fairly similar to the normal ray gun. Maybe like a half charged Samus shot? I'm not sure if that'd be possible. I don't really remember how big it is, but what about the electric ball that Rayquaza shoots at you? Or on a similar note, one of the things that Meta-Ridley shoots at you and re-coloring it? Those are all I can think of for now.

One more thing: Zero has the Z-sabre attached to his hand and then Link's sword is still on his back. Being able to delete parts of characters now, would it be possible to get rid of the sword on Zero's back? I noticed that the other day and it kinda sticks out. If I'm not mistaken, the guys working on Project Geno did something similar taking away the sword and the shield of Toon Link, so that might be a good reference.

Keep up the great work, man! I can't wait to see the next version of Zero :)

ChronicleX

Smash Cadet
Alternately, if anyone has any ideas for good blaster-type graphics, that could also help. I'm coming to the point where I am considering merely recoloring Lucario's Aura Sphere to be light blue.
Why not use recoloured Samus blaster shots or ZZS blaster? Surely that would look better than Aura Sphere since Aura Sphere shots wobble when fired.

toddtj

Smash Apprentice
One more thing: Zero has the Z-sabre attached to his hand and then Link's sword is still on his back. Being able to delete parts of characters now, would it be possible to get rid of the sword on Zero's back? I noticed that the other day and it kinda sticks out. If I'm not mistaken, the guys working on Project Geno did something similar taking away the sword and the shield of Toon Link, so that might be a good reference.
I think it sticks out and I don't like it either, but the sword in the sheath is actually the spear that zero uses in his Ftilt and Dair. Personally, I would prefer that he pull it out of nowhere(like Mario's FLUDD), but I think Eldiran likes it as is.

Am I correct?

I'm guessing you don't have a different plan for it once we import his model, anyway.

EDIT:
Why not use recoloured Samus blaster shots or ZZS blaster? Surely that would look better than Aura Sphere since Aura Sphere shots wobble when fired.
As I understand it, he would be using a fully charged Aura Sphere, which wouldn't wobble.

A recolored ZSS shot certainly has potential as the level 1 charge.

Would a recolored Aura Sphere with some extra effect around it really look so bad?

Xeial

Smash Cadet
In response to the Fox vs. Zero match-ups, I'd like to provide some input.

As a dedicated Fox main in Brawl+/vBrawl, I can see where Fox would have the advantage in some respects. I really think that there are a few factors that have not been considered though. (I will respond in regards to B+ only.)

A.) Zero has his shield. Thus, Fox cannot force an approach. SHDL (Short-Hop Double Laser) Is integral to Fox's damage wracking game, and an attentive Zero player will not have to deal with this to the extent many other characters do. If Fox tries to rush once you pull out the shield, throw it and dash away, Power-Shield, or interrupt his rush with Jab combo or FTilt.

B.) Zero does have many options to keep Fox from getting the combos going, and the CC-Dash provides superior spacing tools for him to use. Is Fox trying to rush you down? CC-Dash to FTilt/pivoted FTilt is your friend. (Especially with the forced tech-chase caused by tripping.) Is Fox approaching with short-hopped Nair/Dair? Zero's own SH-Fair, SH-Bair and SH-Nair are disjointed and fast enough to get him off of you. Bair is a good tool because no-one expects it to hit both directions, it comes out fast, and you can short hop it out of Side-B to catch the opponent as they fly/run into you. Is he trying to Dash-Shine you? Dash-Jump Nair is the answer. Also, Zero's basic Dash-Attack from Side-B and Jab combo from CC-Dash give him even more zoning and damage-wracking tools on the ground.

C.) Fox is decidedly more deadly on-stage, namely because once the combo starts, you'll be taking a good amount of damage before it's over. However, Zero's off-stage options far outweigh those of Fox. Leaping out to gimp with a Dash-Jumped Nair will eat through Firefox or the Illusion. If your trying to gimp from on-stage, wait until he's about to sweet spot and send him plummeting with FTilt. (Works on Firefox AND the Illusion, the latter requires better timing.) If he tries to recover above the stage, Uair works wonders, both for it's decent KB and the angle. Fox is a fast-faller just like Zero, and pays for it considerably when a character like Zero has him off-stage

D.) At lower percents, Fox is grab fodder for Zero. Well spaced Zair>Grab can be a nightmare for Fox to penetrate reliably. The Zair>Grab also gives Zero a good zoning tool to use even if his shield is out. Once grabbed, Most throws can be followed up well with Dash-Jump (Short-hop) Nair or Dair. Beware though, Zero is just as vulnerable to grabs as Fox is. If you get grabbed, prepare to eat a buffet of Utilt, Usmash and Uair.

Really, the biggest problem I can see in this match up is if Zero gets punished for poor spacing, or if the Zero player tries to use on-stage killing methods only. Fox's biggest assets against Zero are definitely SHFF Nair and Dair>Utilt. If Fox connects with Utilt at low to mid percents, he has a plethora of combo/string options available to him.However, Zero can shut down most if not all of Fox's approaching options if used correctly, and if a combo starts, Zero can usually escape without too much damage with proper DI and Nair/Nair-Down.

That's all I can really think of at the moment, If anyone else can think of other issues, I'll test them out.

~X

LSDX

Wah!
How can I set up this PSA on my roster as it's own spot while having Link still retain his own position and original moveset?

Also, if the above statement is possible, how can I edit the Zero PSA"s portrait in Brawlbox?

rjcam10

Smash Rookie
How can I set up this PSA on my roster as it's own spot while having Link still retain his own position and original moveset?

Also, if the above statement is possible, how can I edit the Zero PSA"s portrait in Brawlbox?
You can't, wait for the clone engine.

Darklinkreturns

Smash Rookie
Sorry for my ignorance, but I can't seem to figure out how to add wisp in the game.
I Have my wii hacked and everything, and I have other working textures/move-sets, but I can't seem to get this one to work. Would somebody out there care to explain to me what to do?
:3

Eldiran

Smash Lord
I will respond to all the excellent analytical posts hopefully today -- been pretty busy <.<

Sorry for my ignorance, but I can't seem to figure out how to add wisp in the game.
I Have my wii hacked and everything, and I have other working textures/move-sets, but I can't seem to get this one to work. Would somebody out there care to explain to me what to do?
:3
Did you rename it FitPurin.pac?

Eldiran

Smash Lord
No worries Eldiran. I think a lot of people have been really busy myself with exams. I know I have been!

As for the Fox vs. Zero issue, things are probably much different between vBrawl and Brawl+. in B+, Fox is a very dominant character b/c of his speed, strong smash attacks, and he can wrack up damage quickly. W/ B+'s speed increase, I find it almost impossible to do well against Fox when I play my friend (keep in mind that this was when I was using Zero very often and would've considered him my main, whereas Fox is my friend's 7th ish best character). Now that's just us and that could have a lot to do with play styles and whatnot, but it's definitely something to keep an eye on for the future. When we go back to school (btw, my friend's also my roommate) we'll do some more testing with this matchup.

I have no idea where the file is but I can at least offer some suggestions. Possibly the ray gun blasts from the Ray MK II, or whatever it's called. Although it's fairly similar to the normal ray gun. Maybe like a half charged Samus shot? I'm not sure if that'd be possible. I don't really remember how big it is, but what about the electric ball that Rayquaza shoots at you? Or on a similar note, one of the things that Meta-Ridley shoots at you and re-coloring it? Those are all I can think of for now.

Keep up the great work, man! I can't wait to see the next version of Zero :)
Yeah, I imagine the B+ rift changes things a lot. I am flattered to hear that Zero is your main though :p More testing is always appreciated.

Also, thank you for your suggestions -- I took a look for Rayquaza's attack, but it was nowhere to be found. That did lead me to my next idea, though, which was to look through Duon -- and, as of now, I've settled on a recolored Duon beam, which works rather well. It may not be identical to Zero's actual shots, but it sure looks more intimidating and is more satisfying than the old 3rd charge.

Now I only have to change the sound effects to be suitable. It would also be nice if I could figure out a way to make it energy-based instead of physical. Using ZSS' d-smash hitbox flag doesn't seem to work.

I think it sticks out and I don't like it either, but the sword in the sheath is actually the spear that zero uses in his Ftilt and Dair. Personally, I would prefer that he pull it out of nowhere(like Mario's FLUDD), but I think Eldiran likes it as is.

Am I correct?

I'm guessing you don't have a different plan for it once we import his model, anyway.

EDIT:As I understand it, he would be using a fully charged Aura Sphere, which wouldn't wobble.

A recolored ZSS shot certainly has potential as the level 1 charge.

Would a recolored Aura Sphere with some extra effect around it really look so bad?
Yeah, the sword on his back is actually the spear. I didn't think it worth the effort to remove it, since he uses it in his moveset, and Zero normally has a hilt sticking out of his back anyway (just no sheath).

I'd use ZSS' shot for the level 1 charge, but I only have one arrow to work with, so it's one or the other here.

In response to the Fox vs. Zero match-ups, I'd like to provide some input.

As a dedicated Fox main in Brawl+/vBrawl, I can see where Fox would have the advantage in some respects. I really think that there are a few factors that have not been considered though. (I will respond in regards to B+ only.)

A.) Zero has his shield. Thus, Fox cannot force an approach. SHDL (Short-Hop Double Laser) Is integral to Fox's damage wracking game, and an attentive Zero player will not have to deal with this to the extent many other characters do. If Fox tries to rush once you pull out the shield, throw it and dash away, Power-Shield, or interrupt his rush with Jab combo or FTilt.

B.) Zero does have many options to keep Fox from getting the combos going, and the CC-Dash provides superior spacing tools for him to use. Is Fox trying to rush you down? CC-Dash to FTilt/pivoted FTilt is your friend. (Especially with the forced tech-chase caused by tripping.) Is Fox approaching with short-hopped Nair/Dair? Zero's own SH-Fair, SH-Bair and SH-Nair are disjointed and fast enough to get him off of you. Bair is a good tool because no-one expects it to hit both directions, it comes out fast, and you can short hop it out of Side-B to catch the opponent as they fly/run into you. Is he trying to Dash-Shine you? Dash-Jump Nair is the answer. Also, Zero's basic Dash-Attack from Side-B and Jab combo from CC-Dash give him even more zoning and damage-wracking tools on the ground.

C.) Fox is decidedly more deadly on-stage, namely because once the combo starts, you'll be taking a good amount of damage before it's over. However, Zero's off-stage options far outweigh those of Fox. Leaping out to gimp with a Dash-Jumped Nair will eat through Firefox or the Illusion. If your trying to gimp from on-stage, wait until he's about to sweet spot and send him plummeting with FTilt. (Works on Firefox AND the Illusion, the latter requires better timing.) If he tries to recover above the stage, Uair works wonders, both for it's decent KB and the angle. Fox is a fast-faller just like Zero, and pays for it considerably when a character like Zero has him off-stage

D.) At lower percents, Fox is grab fodder for Zero. Well spaced Zair>Grab can be a nightmare for Fox to penetrate reliably. The Zair>Grab also gives Zero a good zoning tool to use even if his shield is out. Once grabbed, Most throws can be followed up well with Dash-Jump (Short-hop) Nair or Dair. Beware though, Zero is just as vulnerable to grabs as Fox is. If you get grabbed, prepare to eat a buffet of Utilt, Usmash and Uair.

Really, the biggest problem I can see in this match up is if Zero gets punished for poor spacing, or if the Zero player tries to use on-stage killing methods only. Fox's biggest assets against Zero are definitely SHFF Nair and Dair>Utilt. If Fox connects with Utilt at low to mid percents, he has a plethora of combo/string options available to him.However, Zero can shut down most if not all of Fox's approaching options if used correctly, and if a combo starts, Zero can usually escape without too much damage with proper DI and Nair/Nair-Down.

That's all I can really think of at the moment, If anyone else can think of other issues, I'll test them out.

~X
This is some excellent info, and it is also very reassuring. It seems like a mostly even match, with mistakes being very punishable on either side. His newest changes should not alter this much, either... I am surprised to hear his Zair is working well even at low percents. I supposed that's quite possibly a result of B+'s hitstun, but apparently it's not too disruptive. Thanks very much for this info.

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
Nice looking attack there. Have you changed any of its properties, or will it just look different than the first shot?
Also, it looks like the firing effect isn't lined up with the actual shot in that picture.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Haha, Zero's my main too. I like the shot, it looks like something Omega would shoot in his combo from MMZ3/MMZX

bladedoodle

Smash Rookie
Zero is great, im thinking of maining fully with him but im sadly still a pit player. im not good at all when it comes to making a reliable psa, im wondering if i could make a request for a pit psa? i have one in mind but im not sure if the move sets i have in mind would be compatibly possible. please reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom