• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Favorite Zelda Game Poll

What is your favorite Zelda Game?

• Total voters

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I closed because we weren't getting many new votes at all, and I thought that locking it now would encourage people to come check back later that hadn't voted yet, rather than them coming through once, voting, then never coming back again.

Buuuutttttttttttttt keeping it open is more fun so oh well.

Anyway, upon another playthrough of ALttP, I still think OoT and MM beat it. I'd even put it slightly below TP. I feel that nostalgia clouds people's view of ALttP, as 3D lends itself to Zelda far too well for any of the 2D games to stack up against OoT, MM, WW, and TP.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
LttP has an Overworld that isn't a barren wasteland, and is filled to the brim with interesting secrets. The only 3D game to feel like not a bunch of empty pointless space was MM.

(I like Link's Awakening better than LttP anyways)

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
LttP has an Overworld that isn't a barren wasteland, and is filled to the brim with interesting secrets. The only 3D game to feel like not a bunch of empty pointless space was MM.

(I like Link's Awakening better than LttP anyways)
Yeah. I still just don't have as much fun with it as I do with OoT/MM/TP. You are right though, and I'm not going to deny that. OoT and TP - especially TP - were very barren.

Spire

III
BRoomer

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
While ALttP WAS the first Zelda game I played, I played it on the remake for GBA and still haven't gotten my hands on the SNES cartridge, annoyingly enough.

I don't think it's nostalgia changing my opinion, though. There's something about the game that just works well for me.

I love the music, particularly the overworld music from both worlds and the dungeon music from both worlds as well (though I think the light world dungeon music is better than the dark world music). The item arsenal is creative and expansive, and it has one of the most creative items from any Zelda game: the Cane of Somaria. I just wish it had been put to more use. The difficulty level is pretty high, although it's not as puzzle-heavy as some other games. The length is great, and I always tend to find myself playing the game in pairs of runs, excluding my first run. I beat the game once, then want to go back and beat it again. The next time I pick it up, I do the same.

Overall, it just works. I think Zelda lends itself very well to 3D, but I wouldn't say that I like any of the 3D ones that I've played beat it. Though, Majora's Mask has piqued my interest thoroughly, and it's possible that by the time I beat it it may topple ALttp.

Personally, I tend to say the same in regards to nostalgia for OoT, because everyone praises it so thoroughly, but every time I've played it thus far I have been forcing myself to play it BECAUSE it's so renowned. I think it's just a matter of opinion that causes the difference.

There was actually an article about this written on N-Sider. Maybe you read it, maybe you didn't. Anyways, here: http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=3972
Er, your link appears to be broken.

If anyone wants to visit the link, just copy-paste the text into the address bar for now.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Fixed it. I accidentally typed "v" in the url in a failed ctrl+v.

But I definitely agree that popular opinion influences how one feels about a game, which is why I believe there's a growing bandwagon for Majora's Mask.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Ha, that's funny. I said exactly what that article said in summary form.

I remember being so excited when I first stepped into Hyrule Field in TP, and saw how massive just one section of it was....yeah that didn't last long.

Spire

III
BRoomer
TP's overworld was breathtaking, no one can deny that, but there was near nothing to do at all. I blame time constraints and the fact that they seemingly rebooted the game after a decent amount of development (referring to that awesome looking Beta TP).

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
TP's overworld was breathtaking, no one can deny that, but there was near nothing to do at all. I blame time constraints and the fact that they seemingly rebooted the game after a decent amount of development (referring to that awesome looking Beta TP).
Seconded.

-Terywj

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I've seen these before plenty of times, and they really are awesome. It's quite interesting that the Twilight Realm was once black and white, and the odd appearances of the beta enemies still baffle me (I guess that's why they weren't kept for the final game). The design for Hyrule Field and Faron Woods, I've noticed, are much more realistic, and I must point out that the image of Link riding Epona in front of the Castle Town bridge (which, hypothetically, became the Bridge of Eldin later in development) and the image of Wolf Link howling to the moon look really epic.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
A part of me is afraid that Zelda Wii is going to suffer the same fate as TP. Even though Reggie constantly claims there's no Wii 2, we know that there is one and Nintendo HQ is telling him to keep a lid on it. I'm afraid that Zelda Wii will suffer the same fate, and end up getting split between both consoles, causing the dev team to sacrifice some quality to instead have a game that can not only run on both systems, but lose sweet time on improving the game to porting the game over.

I hope this isn't the case though. I'd rather have a really nice Zelda Wii, and then have an even better Zelda Wii 2.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
That's not likely to be possible, though, unless you think that Nintendo will release another console by late 2010 or early 2011. If they were, we would know about it before we knew about one of its launch titles.

Outside of the point, I don't think Zelda Wii will suffer most of the problems TP did, though; I think Nintendo will fix what they wanted to do but couldn't do for TP, according to the interviews. Also, I remember hearing from Aonuma in one of the interviews that Zelda Wii will be more challenging. I'm not sure, though.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Loz Oot = Win
There is no doubt that Ocarina of Time stands as one of the greatest games of its time, but I would tip my hat off for Twilight Princess. There's just something special about it that I like. I think what won me over was the soundtrack and Midna's engimatic character.

mario64fan1

Smash Rookie
I couldn't choose between Ocarina of Time and Twlight Princess...

So i picked the game i beat :) , OoT

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
It was a hard pick between ocerina and majoras. in the end i choose majoras because of all the cool masks

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Rather than do an exclusive OoT remake, Nintendo should merge OoT and MM into one epic game. That'll solve everything.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Rather than do an exclusive OoT remake, Nintendo should merge OoT and MM into one epic game. That'll solve everything.
That would be amazing.

Beat OoT and transition right into Link riding Epona through the woods, beginning Majora's Mask.

Spire

III
BRoomer
That would be amazing.

Beat OoT and transition right into Link riding Epona through the woods, beginning Majora's Mask.
It would actually include a little extra between the two. You return to the Temple of Time when Zelda sends you back, Naviless. You then go meet Zelda in the Hyrule Castle garden and receive the Ocarina of Time and subsequently learn the Song of Time from her. You would then head into castle town and buy a Hero's Shield (not Hylian Shield), and make your way to Lon Lon Ranch where you would meet Malon and obtain Epona (without Epona's song). Now suited up, you would ride into the Lost Woods and execute the opening sequence from MM.

I honestly cannot pick between OoT and MM for my spots 1 and 2 favorite Zelda games. I consider them to be two parts to the whole of "Zelda 64".

Spire

III
BRoomer
This would essentially render Ganon a mid-boss to the whole game.

Happy new years everyone!

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
^It would. And Majora's Wrath is the final boss. EPIC. That's probably one of the best things that could happen to Zelda at this point in time, other than a new game.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
That would be simply the best game of all time. An OoT sized zelda with the amount to sidequests and feel of MM would break reality in half.

sman5093

Smash Apprentice
Twilight princess because u can make bomb arrows or u can get an item called hawkeye to zoom in on opponents:chuckle:

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Stepping outside the bounds of reality for a second (mainly the fact that the Wii lacks practical storage), the "ultimate Zelda experience" in my mind would be an ever growing Zelda game with DLC. I'm not referring to an MMO per se (though an MMO would be epic in its own right); I just think a Zelda game needs to have carefully crafted quests, dungeons, and items. Rather than forcing a poor team to flesh out a thorough experience all at once, it should evolve naturally. World of Warcraft comes to mind in how Blizzard makes releases fairly often. The patches fix the game and add content to the experience.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
That would be great, but such a huge experience would only offset the people who buy Nintendo titles years after they're released, which would happen often due to them being "evergreen" titles. I think if that route was taken, a Zelda MMO would be the only kind of game that would work.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Well look at some boardgames such as Talisman. The core game comes with everything you need for multiple types of playthroughs and adventures spanning many, many hours of gaming with 2, 3, 4-8, and beyond players. In addition, they've released numerous expansion packs that extend the gameplay. If Nintendo could make a self-sufficient Zelda game that rather than being designed around DLC (like so many games today, which often leave you feeling cheated with the initial purchase), the DLC would be designed solely around the game. It could work.

Imagine a game based in Hyrule, with some 10-12 dungeons and a huge land to explore as is. Then Ninty releases the "Goronlands Expansion Pack", which expands on the Death Mountain area to the east, opening up uncharted expanses of Hyrule for the player to explore with, say, 3 or 4 new dungeons. The worlds in Zelda are so small as we know it that expansion packs could literally do exactly as their name implies and expand on Zelda like we've not seen before. Main game = compact in Hyrule; enough to satiate a lot of players (namely casuals). Expansion packs = expand on the land; enough to satiate us.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
This isn't exactly on topic, but speaking of compact VS expanded Hyrule, I thought ST presented the most realistic Hyrule as far as size is concerned.

But anyway, I'm not sure adding dungeons and expanding areas would really work for Zelda. The series is not at all like World of Warcraft (for example) and is more dependent on the quantity of titles in the series. I couldn't imagine, for example, more dungeons and areas added to TP during the following years of the development. In my opinion, it's simply more important to add to the general Zelda story rather than add to one game, and doing so would significantly slow down the rate at which new titles are developed and released. I wouldn't mind a few expansion packs for existing games, but it's not necessary, and it's not my wish for the Zelda series.

AngryMoblyn1881

Smash Journeyman
I have resently started playing windwaker again and it has really been bugging me that the forests that you entre are inside trees!!!!! like the deku tree (presumably the deku sprout from OOC) is inside another tree i thought it was the old deku tree but that doesnt make any sence! and if the big tree isnt the old deku tree......... where is the old deku tree!!! any one plz help me with this dilmah!?!

AngryMoblyn1881

Smash Journeyman
guarentied the deku tree form WW is the deku sprout from OoC but i dont get why the old FIRST deku tree is under water but the sprout is .......thoughts?

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
guarentied the deku tree form WW is the deku sprout from OoC but i dont get why the old FIRST deku tree is under water but the sprout is .......thoughts?
WW is hundreds of years after OoT, and the Deku Sprout, after taking the Deku Tree's place, is also underwater. The Deku Tree in WW is a completely different one, obviously, and you can tell simply by looking at them. But the Forest Temple in TP looks like it may be the Deku Sprout, only long dead.

By OoC, did you mean OoT?

Top Bottom