• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Crouch-walking, or squat-walking, was invented by Silent Wolf a few years ago and if you watch Active Artwork (the Falco techskill video), it's the first thing he does in the video when he lands on Jungle Japes.

It's secretly the most technical thing in the game, cuz you can make little beatbox noises as you do it and its really tight.

edit: oh yeah, Lovage puts it to good use in his Link techskill short, called simply "LINK". It's also the first thing he does in the video.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
@toph; lol i'm actually pretty interested in it, though i am completely clueless on what the game will actually be like

i mainly just really like the artwork from the prinny series

what silentwolf does in active artwork is absolutely nothing like the moving forward yet not moving feet in the TAS video i just posted.

and jpobs it's resuming like 20 seconds earlier than what you last had it open at. probably just does that with long *** videos.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
it looks more like fox is in his turn animation to me. maybe its something similar to that brawl "AT" where they tap left and right to make their guy like spin and keep moving one way...

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
i think zhu does that with dash dancing, but don't you think we'd see the animation of fox going to the left also, if that were case?

EWC

Smash Ace
All he's doing is starting his walk animation over and over again. So like: hold forward for a frame, then release, then hold for a frame, then release, etc

Evoke

Smash Apprentice
Lost internet for the good part of the day. :/

Does anyone else think it odd that not only does my 10 year old brother grab me out of an illusion or firefox, he does it CONSISTENTLY?

He did it 3 out of 4 attempts to today. I still won though. I think I'll be able to get some videos up sometime soon but I'm not too good. :/ I still need those funky adapters and crap.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I think its odd that you keep illusioning/firefox that high onto the stage.

Try to sweet spot so that he doesnt have that opportunity, or so that he wont expect you to come straight at him.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
it looks more like fox is in his turn animation to me. maybe its something similar to that brawl "AT" where they tap left and right to make their guy like spin and keep moving one way...
hhaha its called "reverse aerial rush"

if we could do that in melee, Fox would be even more stupid good.
imagine approaching bair like you would with nair, except you have a ton more range and priority and killing power.

soo good lol.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
The only thing I know against marth is shl and upthrow upair. I just find myself getting cged uptilted and faired way to much. Any other ideas?

I also cp bad stages and cop out to puff and then lose...

L__

Smash Master
mm... you can jump/shine out of the chaingrab around 25% iirc

mid %s idk what you could do

but as for approaches you could try sh wavelands to mix up your approach. if they put up an aggressive response to your approaches, i.e. forward smash to your sh, you could try to bait that and double jump over the expected fsmash/fair/nair and drillshine them

but this is just fancy stuff

EWC

Smash Ace
You're faster than marth. You can generally out-maneuver him pretty well. I maintain that this is your biggest advantage in the match-up. As long as he isn't able to read your movements and trap you, you can just continuously teleport accross the stage and then hit him whenever you want.

Of course this is a pretty big over simplification and I'm glossing over some non-trivial details like "marth can kill you off of every miss spaced attack", but I still think that's how the match-up goes.

Oh also upthrow stuff is good shine is good nair is good but do it late or they'll CC drillshine is good bair is good dtilt is good etc

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I agree with that, EWC

but its more fun to use good knowledge of marth's hitboxes and using fox's jank to get under and around his stuff.

random jank knowledge:
dash attack can be used like peach's to get under marth's fair and nair in certain situations.
a well timed utilt can beat everything marth does from above, except for a perfectly timed dair.
running shine gets under auto canceled nair.
fox's dtilt has almost as much range as marth's with similar punishment value (marth's takes ur space away, fox's puts him in the air where he is most vulnerable)
bair still trades with any approaching aerial

EWC

Smash Ace
Hmm. I didn't know that you could running shine under marth's AC nair. I agree with the dash attack thing. I usually start spamming that pretty hard when marth is at high percents and tries to wall with fairs or whatever.

I also really like the down tilt against marth. It can often sneak under marth's aerials and the auto CC on it will give you a follow up even if you trade.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Nah, Fox's dtilt is not good at a neutral position like Marth's is. Marth can like, cancel the dtilt into a run or anything he wants hella early cuz it has stupid (in the gucci sense of the word) IASA frames. Fox is like... stuck, and he can get grabbed if it doesn't hit.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i use dtilt as my #1 CC tool against marth since his main counter to CC is range.

dtilt CAN be cc'd back tho up until ~50% i'd say, so be careful

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I find the only purpose of D-tilt vs Marth is when you like U-throw Uair him and know he's gonna Fair as he's coming down but don't have enough time to hit him first with normal stuff. You sneak your D-tilt under his Fair as he's coming down because of the horizontal range. Or you CC to D-tilt so you continue your combo in exchange for a couple percent.

Otherwise it feels pretty useless in that MU. Laggy moves suck vs characters that wait the whole game.

makoforce

Smash Ace
you guys must be fighting stupid marths.

Lets see what fox has over marth:
Faster
Lasers
upthrow>upair comboes really well
shine spike

Marth IMO beats fox.
lets see what marth has over fox:
Chaingrab 0-death
disjoint
more range
WD back ftilt stops all of foxes approaches
retreating fair beats all of foxes moves
probaly has the easiest time taking stocks off of spacies than anybody
GIMPS SPACIES LIKE NOBODIES BUSINESS

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Has anyone tried the Project M demo.

They took off crouch cancel so fox can nair>shine any character without fail.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Maybe your right. I don't really play brawl but il look into it friday when i get a chance to play the demo.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If you can WD back F-tilt you can WD back grab, which combos into 0-death CG

So it optimizes another point simultaneously

SYNERGY BIATCH

edit: You didn't list some of Fox's most important strengths so I can't take your post seriously.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
KK can you elaborate on where fox's downtilt is good vs sheik? I have a couple ideas, but you use sheik or something.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Same place it's good vs Marth. You sneak under something when she's drifting away from you.

You can CC her F-tilt and D-tilt into it because it has more range so if they play super ground game bros it's sort of viable but the lag makes it susceptible to WD OOS grab and dash dance grab (so it's risky in spite of its range; not spammable or abusable in the same way that she can walk around F-tilting).

But yeah if they're dumb and spam F-tilt you can CC into it and get free combos / knockdowns and whatever.

You can also waveshine into it vs Doctor Mario. And provided they don't DI away, it combos into most of his useful combo aerials fairly early. Like, 35 or so. I think he may be able to ground himself but in that case you can probably just D-tilt again. D-tilt has really good range lolol.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Down tilt is my B&B vs. sheik. A tipped down tilt can't be shield grabbed (unless the sheik's I play vs. are slow out of shield vs. it. [spawn*, zoso]).

The most common response I see vs. my down tilt is short hop fair spam. CC can also work but at full range sheik only has dash attack/needles.

*spawn beat lucky at rom or rom 2. So he's legit. ;]

shanus

Smash Hero
Has anyone tried the Project M demo.

They took off crouch cancel so fox can nair>shine any character without fail.
its actually just a work-in-progress CC code, the current one is a partial patchwork fix until we get true ASDI downwards from a grounded hit working.

Top Bottom