• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FUSION presents: UCI SMASH 2.0 - May 22nd - BRING SETUPS!/PRE-REG!/POOLS!

ahchoomattchu

Smash Ace
There's one guaranteed setup. There's normally six of us, but if we get like 10 or more tonight then I think another easily transportable TV would be nice. We all have cubes, but most of us also have big, heavy TVs =\

ALSO: I think the Kogi truck is going to be at the AV lot again tonight!

Thundercloud

Smash Journeyman
@Squid: I think the setup will be there at about 730. Also, I decided to pick up ICs. lol

I think Devl is coming and bringing his group too for some crew battles.
Oh snap, you're ICs now? I'm guessing Fly convinced you to make the switch. I haven't seen Devl in a long time either.

I have a TV... back at my apartment (sitting in ICS 364 lab at the moment). Not that easily transportable either. But if we're desperate and we have tons of people... anybody got a skateboard or a dolly I could borrow? :O

Thundercloud

Smash Journeyman
But I'm weak and have noodly arms! ...

and I'd have to bike back to my apartment, pack up my setup, drive over, and haul it from APS to ET. I might have to do that to make tonight a good night though.

ahchoomattchu

Smash Ace
What is a big enough turnout for pools to happen?
That's something I was planning on asking you/the other more experienced people. There were 14 teams, and we had about 36-40 people last time for singles. I didn't run pools then, but that was in part because it was my first time running a tournament. I would think that if we get the same amount (or more) again then this time we should run pools and make a #-man bracket accordingly.

Input would be nice, I'm still learning the TO business.

P.S. Yesterday/this morning was a lot of fun lol.

blueb3rry

Smash Cadet
hey guys i'm starting at uci in the fall as a transfer student. what's the smash scene like at the school? also anyone here in the engineering department? i got in as a junior level electrical engineering major, and i'd like to hear what the school is like.

Thundercloud

Smash Journeyman
Just like Rei said, it seems like there are always people ready to play with.

I'm a 3rd year Computer Science and Engineering major... so I'm part engineering. Most of my classes aren't EE-specific though, so I couldn't tell you what to expect. The professors are good for the most part, but expect it to be pretty difficult.

ahchoomattchu

Smash Ace
hey guys i'm starting at uci in the fall as a transfer student. what's the smash scene like at the school? also anyone here in the engineering department? i got in as a junior level electrical engineering major, and i'd like to hear what the school is like.
UCI is a great school and Irvine is one of the best regions for Smash.

Engineering is probably the most grueling major to be in, but if you make it out, you're pretty much set after graduation. There's actually a well-organized group at the school called IEEE (Institution of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, or as most people say the acronym 'I-triple-E') that caters specifically to people with your major.

Congrats on getting in as a 3rd year engineer, and hope to see you around!

blueb3rry

Smash Cadet
yeah sounds good. I read on a few forums that UCI is more of a commuter school and that it's pretty much dead on evenings and weekends. i'm hoping it's more fun and active than it sounds.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
yeah "college" life is sorta dead but there are still frats and sororities. and yeah a lot of ppl commute or go home on the weekends which sucks at times.

if your looking at a "smash" life, its not dead at all. you can find someone everyday at anytime.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
uci is really only dead on the 'college' front because it really is a significant commuter school. the frat/sorority scene is relatively active but then again you'd expect that pretty much anywhere.

we also have all levels of smash players here, so you're sure to find somebody here who's both close to your level and available to play =D

rus s0uL

Smash Apprentice
I will be going to this. Last tourny was pretty fun, had a great time. I think pools would be a good idea, more play time for everyone.

ahchoomattchu

Smash Ace
I made up my mind, and there will be pools! I don't really know how pools work, though, so it'd be nice if someone could help me set those up along with the seeding for this. I'll update the front page with a schedule once I get the specifics.

Boothing starts next week! I'm looking forward to seeing the usuals come by again. =P

Don't forget to pre-register so I can run TiO more smoothly, and bring setups, please!

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
get the opinions of ranked players as far as pool seeding should go. if kira or zhu are there get them to help you because they have a definite better way to judge skill and seed pools better. lol

Kira-

Smash Champion
seeding pools is easier than seeding a bracket IMO. I'll help out for sure, no worires

and tight I love pools

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
where is this "booth" that everyone talks about?everytime i visit my girlfriend i look for it,but i dont wanna walk around asking what the "booth" is,so i end up going to the zot zone to play tekken haha

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
there is going to be a sign and it will say fusion and probably have the melee logo

it's usually between the flagpole to the student center

sometimes a little past that near the humanities

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
man i'm sure you'll see a few people standing next to each other and facing away from the road during the afternoon

that's the booth. haha

cj7loop90

Smash Rookie
This time around, the booth will be moving around a bit from the CCC to two other places spot closer to the Student Center and in front of the Aldrich Hall.
Just keep a good eye out. Too many other events happening that same week on Ring Road.

Hi Matt, your boat capsized.

SuperRad

Smash Master
seeding pools is easier than seeding a bracket IMO. I'll help out for sure, no worires

and tight I love pools
yeah. seeding a bracket requires more work.

seeding pools you can have tio do a lot of the leg work,you just really need to group players (ie. pick a group of 1 seeds, 2 seeds maybe 3 seeds if its a big tourney) and then just make sure to separate players that play each other all the time and that stuff.

Kira-

Smash Champion
if 40 people showed up

i'd probably do 8 pools of 5 people,
each pool has 10 matches, assume average of 15 mins per match (that's on the high side like if fly decides to have fun and camp for the full 8 mins or it's peach vs puff or something, so assuming max amt of time). that's 80 matches total

I'm gonna assume 8 setups. 80 matches would get done in 2.5 hours.

then 16 man bracket (top 2 advance). i forgot exactly how many are played but it's something like 30 matches (8 first round, 14 losers, 7 winners, 1 grand finals). if we dont include time to watch the last few matches then it's a little less than an hour to complete. So it'll probably take 3 - 3.5 hours to finish singles if it's done this way. this doesn't account for lag time between matches but usually a set will not take 15 minutes so it'll go faster.

yes i calculated this lol, when i did it for the first arcadian tournament i was off by 30 minutes and that tournament was about as hectic as you can get. so a well-planned tourney like this would go much smoother.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I know 8 pools of 5 would be the most efficient, but making the pools a bit bigger than that would be...more fun for those of us who aren't as good =D

switching the numbers and making top 3 advance out of pools of 8 would make it more difficult to get out of pools but would give more play opportunities, and we're probably going to have at least 10 setups, assuming we have roughly the same amount as last time, which would be two tvs per pool.

MacD

Banned via Administration
you should let at least half (rounded up) make it out of pools, no reason to be super stingy with people, i mean there is more than enough time normally, as long as people play and don't vanish

Kira-

Smash Champion
Yeah I agree, bigger pools = better cause it's more fun, and since we'd finish in only 3 hours anyway we have a lot of time to spare. So in conclusion i ate my burrito way too fast

Top Bottom