• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamelot December Monthly: Holiday Brawl (12/6/08) San Antonio, TX(MK IS BANNED)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Didn't I call that it could be Sethlon?

I love being pseudo-right.
Seth stole Hylian from me once, he'd do it again. XD

Oh, and Seth, about the whole jab lock thing. That's YOUR fault for not teching the ground or wall after the down throw. It's not that hard to tech in Brawl, ya know. I personally don't see the issue with jab locks. They're hard enough as it is to execute on someone who KNOWS how to AVOID them.

As said, the only reason I even GET them is because you guys don't tech or DI right.

Besides, Sonic needs every little thing he can get vs. someone who can combo him up from 0% to 40% with a joystick and one ****ing button. ;_;

As for this ruleset change...I don't know what to say about it. I'm a little...I don't know...perplexed...and confused, but at the same time, I'm curious and optimistic on how this would turn out.

Meh, I've come to the quick conclusion that at this moment, I don't care. I'm going to this tournament regardless. I don't get any Smash Bros. anytime other than these things...

Oh, and Hylian, if you don't come, I'm drinking your DP.

----------

EDIT: Okay, I bothered looking at the rules. As much as I don't want to for personal reasons, I'd say take out Green Hill Zone as a counterpick. Regardless of only being able to do 5 chaingrabs (which is awkward in of itself), most Dedede's/Falco's will just camp the sides until you get grabbed the wrong way. Then it's a one way trip to the horizontal blast zone.

And as for the chaingrab thingie, sounds kinda funky. Then again, 5 chaingrabs from any character sans the Ice Climbers is pretty much the max for anyone anyways. You're not gonna see a Dedede get more chaingrabs than 5 on FD or any walkoff level anytime in the future, or a Falco for that matter.

I do think the Dedede standing infinite, and wall infinites should be restricted or banned.

Jab locks...if people honestly don't like it (again, I see no reason why, they're completely avoidable), then maybe restrict them to 5 jabs/lasers per lock before they have to stop, or something.

Meh.

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
Dojo said he will be there this saturday >_> i tried to get him to not go :(

Now i got to play sethlon, phantomx, and dojo......Suspect aint scurred lol

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Dojo said he will be there this saturday >_> i tried to get him to not go :(

Now i got to play sethlon, phantomx, and dojo......Suspect aint scurred lol
Sethlon, Dojo, PhantomX, Hylian.

Well, so much for me getting anywhere near top 3... ;_;
Hopefully the brackets are in my favor, and some of them tear each other apart before I have to play them...

Anywhos, Dojo, we must do some friendlies before/after the tournament ends. I need real MK practice.

And I wanna play Hylian s'more too. I've only played you three rounds, ever.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Wait... Dojo is coming to this now? o_O Really random, but I'm not complaining, he's a cool guy! We vanquished DMG's ICs with random together (after like an hour >_>)!

This should make doubles exciting, except for Sethlon/Hylian winning everything XD

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
And my chain grabs are your fault for getting grabbed =P

In all seriousness though, I'm not saying I think jab locks should be banned, I'm saying its ridiculous that he thinks limiting chain grabs will help remove negative impact when there are so many things that can be much more devastating.

Yay for dojo :)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
And my chain grabs are your fault for getting grabbed =P

In all seriousness though, I'm not saying I think jab locks should be banned, I'm saying its ridiculous that he thinks limiting chain grabs will help remove negative impact when there are so many things that can be much more devastating.

Yay for dojo :)
=P

Although it's irrelevant to most, my view is that it's much more difficult to get jab-locked by Sonic than it is to get grabbed by a Falco. It's super subjective, but that's how I feel about it.

Getting grabbed by Falco and eating about 40% damage is indeed my fault however, and I accept it. Doesn't mean I don't absolutely despise it with all my heart. Such a gay way to build up percent. It's too easy to do, really.

I jab locked Kite on Rainbow Cruise, and only did about 40% damage to him before the ship crashed, almost the same as Falco's chaingrab, but only taking up about three times as much time as it.

And both jab locks against you on Green Greens are avoidable. Despite DIing the throw or teching the wall OR ground on impact, you CAN also DI each and every jab. It's all a matter of how well you can do it. Besides, the tree blows you a certain direction, and the bomb blocks aren't something I'm too fond of.

It's not my fault that people don't know how to tech in Brawl.
Hell, if I played another Sonic on Green Greens, I wouldn't be surprised if I got jab locked too, since my teching skill isn't perfect either.

Overall, all I'm trying to say is Falco's chaingrab on Sonic is much more easier to pull off and has a much more effecient payoff than Sonic's jab lock on Falco.

Anywhos, I'm done bantering on about how Sonic sucks.

I guess I could understand and semi-agree with you on your point, although that's my personal bias speaking. If it'll make a larger turnout for this tournament, I suppose that limiting all forms of infinites would be okay then?

That, or just ban Dedede's standing infinite, and wall infinites.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
All this talk about getting grabbed and locked by fists. Sounds really kinky in its own way >.>;;

Anyways, what made Dojo change his mind? I mean granted that it would be good to see him again. I wanna see how his Diddy plays. :)

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Dojo and Sethlon obviously can't resist my awesomeness, and want to chill with me... and Hylian I guess. Still a bit surprised though, I woulda thought he'd want to go and win a bigger trny with MK after Oh Snap XD

chickenwing2k2

Smash Apprentice
So you're always asking questions about brawl, but you're refusing to even have a discussion about rules with two high level players? If you honestly agree with DugFinn, tell us why. Why have Green Greens and not Pictochat? Why limit chaingrabs (most of which are already limited) and not jab/laser infinites?
Seth: It's not a matter weather or not that i refused to talk with 2 high level players, it's a matter of me not knowing who those high level players are. Grant it i didn't ask who they were, i went with who i knew. Trust me, this wasn't a matter of what i think and if i really care for the community. Honestly, if it were the old me, i would've told Hylian to deal with it or not come. Simple.

Realize this, this is only experimental. I don't plan on making this Official for all tournaments that are run. But it's to toy with the games mechanics.

Jab-locking: This wasn't brought to my attention or i clearly didn't do enough research to not catch that. Yes, i take that knoledge into play and consider what needs to be done for any upcoming future tournaments.

Anywho, about the stage banishment, i did what kyle asked and compromised about the stages. Me not realizing what kind of negative impact (Yourself, Hylian, and KM) would be so.....i cant think of a proper word.

However on the chaing grabbing...you said yourself, Not any character can get more than 5 right? but the advantage goes to the heavyweights. Yea i can see that. But i'm curious how people will play with this rule. Also, maybe i wasn't too clear on the rule. What i was going for was that you can grab up to 5 times...back off for about 10-15 sec. Then go again. That isn't so bad right.

Yes i am out of the loop for smash as far as brawl is concerned. Not melee. Me quitting smash was for personal reasons, not because of the skill (or lack thereof, whoever i play against).

Kyle: Dont you EVER talk to me like the way you did the other day. I let it go because you know more than i do when it comes to smash. However, you were in my boat when it came to calibur. The difference is...you didn't get as much **** as i did because i cleaned up behind you whenever you posted something about Calibur. Remember the First tournament that we had. People were PISSED at your ruleset. However, i let you know that your rules can't apply the way that you wanted them to....i guess i realize that we both made the same mistake.

1. I came into smash with the mindset of calibur and
2. you came into calibur with the mindset of smash.

Problem was....you did't get the "OMFWTF ARE YOU A ****IN ****** ON A ****IN MOTHERSHIP....etc". I did.

And about the NVGA: My mindset was this.

If SA becomes a chapter (in which i hope we kinda do...) we're going to have to start playing by their rules. So...i was thinking that if i slowly adjust our tournaments to their ruleset, then it wouldn't be too much of a problem for SA to deal with the rules since they've been playing them for soemtime.

Now had i told you everything that i want to happen for SA and it doesn't come through, whose fault is it...? ME. Why, because i gave a promise i can't keep. Which is something i don't want to do. So being that as it may.

I can see that Limiting the chaingrabbing isn't going to work for this tournament due to the numerous complaints (ok....like 3.) so i'll take them off. I'm sorry for the trouble that i've caused everyone, i was just moving for a balenced game that was fun too. I know that alot of the melee players refused to play this game. It seems fun to me....

But i do have a curious question....if you hate the game so much, why insist on playing Brawl+?

btw, rules are back to the orginal format with no changes but the times on when the tournaments starts. SC4 WILL start @ 3pm.......but who cares, Kyle said he's runnin this tournament anyway, so...i'll be waiting for my Chicken suspect and GF :) i will be kinda hungry when i get there....

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Most top players don't hate this game. Actually I don't know if any of them do. Brawl+ is fun. That's why we play it.

I appreciate you changing the rules back. It honestly isn't as big as a deal as I made it out to be, I'm just very vocal :). Thanks for listening.

chickenwing2k2

Smash Apprentice
Hylian: No problem, but do you at least see where i am coming from when i initially made the ruleset? Maybe i was just going about this the wrong way. Oh well, i was referred to you (from an angry Magnolian player...)that you're very knolwedgeable player for this game. So be sure to expect ALOT of pm's from me on the in's and out's of this game....

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hylian: No problem, but do you at least see where i am coming from when i initially made the ruleset? Maybe i was just going about this the wrong way. Oh well, i was referred to you (from an angry Magnolian player...)that you're very knolwedgeable player for this game. So be sure to expect ALOT of pm's from me on the in's and out's of this game....
I will be glad to answer any questions you have. I know exactly where you are coming from because I have discussed this subject before with several people. I have no problem answering any questions you have.

Also, if you and Kyle need any help running the tournament I know quite a bit about that as well so don't be afraid to ask :). I can yell :p.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Lol @ dojo...mindgaems.

@ Chickenwing: Sorry if I was uncivil, it just literally made no sense to me why you would ban some of those stage and not others. I was trying to show you why, not bash you.
I would still come even if you hadn't changed the rules back.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
It's ok, Sethlon, we all know you're an uncontrollable rage-a-holic.

Really though, aside from Hylian's somewhat angry post, we WERE providing you constructive criticism, Chicken, we wouldn't do it just because :p

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Cool, a Link. We don't have one of those in San Antonio.
I love SA. Not overrun by top tier like a lot of places.

Of course we get our arses kicked by people who thrive off of places like that (and also main those people).
Like this Saturday, for example.

Also, even though Dojo is going to HOBO instead, why do I feel as though every drop of my confidence has been shot down?

I really don't think I'll do well...ugh.
But I really want to.

I guess I'll just try as hard as I can, despite how I feel.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Dojo is a SCRAWNY little mofo :p He obviously doesn't buy food with his Brawl winnings!

And Espy, afaik you're only getting 2 top tier players this Saturday, Seth and Hylian. I'm bringing along a Pit player too, and 2 others I have never seen play before. You'll be fine, man, and even if you aren't... you'll live, lol. I got LAST at Hobo 12 and I couldn't care less, I have fun at these things win or lose, I just go less often when I lose all my money, haha.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It's not so much about winning (even though I said I don't think I'll do well in my last post).
It's moreso about satisfying my own expectations.

Of course, I had this same mentality right now that I did at Gamelot 1, and I got 4th behind Dojo, Santi, and Hylian.

*sigh*

I'll see what I can do on Saturday then. Really wish I had people to play before tournament...
**** college...

@Suspect: There's several pictures of Dojo floating around. I know there's a group shot from HOBO 11 (or 12) somewhere.

I'm kinda glad Hylian's going though. This DP hovering at the top of my book shelf is making me anxious.
Hope you guys wouldn't mind sitting down and playing a large sum of friendlies.

I only get to play other people at tournaments most of the time, so I'd appreciate it. I need the practice if I want to get around 3000/Blue's level.

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
yea same here i have not won yet but i just go for fun and to get better :)

then again i never got dead last in a tourny lol jk PhantomX, Trashtalk ftw :laugh:

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
What can I say? I'm epic like that \^_^/ We still need to MM, though >: (

And I rarely get to play either. Today was the first time since Sat I played anything, lol.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Hehe **** you PX. I did begin to lose weight after I quit football and got alot smaller :\

Doesn't necessarily mean winning. Just play your best, and give it all you got. Take it all lightly. You'll be fine. :)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
What can I say? I'm epic like that \^_^/ We still need to MM, though >: (

And I rarely get to play either. Today was the first time since Sat I played anything, lol.
I see. That's cool.

Thinking about it now. Maybe I'm just frustrated that I struggle so much against the "top tier" players. According to the October list:

1. Roy_R
2. Dr. MarioGuy
2. Dojo
4. Hylian
5. Stiltzskin
6. Sethlon
7. Infinity
8. D4bA
9. Mr.3000
10. Santi
11. T-rex
12. Lee Harris
13. Fliphop
14. Dr.MarioKart
15.Gness
I've only managed to "off" Dr. Mario Kart in a set, and that's only after losing to him 3 Tournaments in a row before that day. [Wait, I also beat Lee Harris at Gamelot 1]
Although at the same time, I'm glad I've played a large chunk of that list (Hylian, Sethlon, Infinity, Lee Harris [although he quit, right?], and Dr. Mario Kart. I also played Dr. Mario Guy in doubles with you at D-Pad, and Dojo and I played in several team friendlies with Hylian and Lee Harris at Gamelot #1, but I was on Dojo's team).

As a matter of fact, Dojo was the first one to complement my Sonic at Gamelot #1. Motivation perhaps?

Well, I guess the only thing I could do now is just try to scratch off two more names from that list (Hylian, Sethlon).

As I've said, regardless of how I feel, I'll try as hard as possible. If there's one thing I will NEVER do, it's make a match easy for anyone.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
1. Roy_R
2. Dr. MarioGuy
2. Dojo
4. Hylian
5. Stiltzskin
6. Sethlon
7. Infinity
8. D4bA
9. Mr.3000
10. Santi
11. T-rex
12. Lee Harris
13. Fliphop
14. Dr.MarioKart
15.Gness
Your arses are mine?
We'll see.

I'll be there sometime around 10:30-11:00, depending on when Gamelot opens and the host gets there.

Santi

Smash Lord
If I finish S.A.T's super quick and get a hold of a jet pack , I'll be there.

Top Bottom