• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf Board's Question & Answer Thread.

TP

Smash Master
I've never understood why people who make frame data point out the end of the move and the IASA frames separately. Who cares when the animation ends? All that matters is when you can do something else.

:034:

Smash Hero
So you know when you can do another dtilt/ftilt/jab? Honestly, why wouldn't somebody want to know is what I'm more interested in.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Regarding UTilt. I'm gonna drop a little knowledge real quick. I use Utilt more and more every match. Maybe because I'm stubborn and I just like the move a lot, but I'm determined to make it work.

Also...Utilt is a KILLER in teams. I mean...I love that move SO much in teams. I was teaming with Brahma yesterday (he's a DK main - I know you've played him, Swoops), and everytime we had just one opponent left, I'd just stand on one edge of the platform and charge a utilt. He'd cargo carry them and just toss the opponent in the general direction of my Utilt, and chances are, because the hitbox is so huge, they're dead.

I'd say in summation that Utilt is a move that is either HORRENDOUS or GREAT depending on the terrain of the level you're playing on.
Man, I thought searching one's name was only for the egotistical but there's actually a **** good use for it >>. Lol yea, he's actually my brother living in Indiana. I play him offline and on whenever I get the chance. Oh...and there were no Ganon team matches for me :(. I felt excluded.

Thing about u-tilt is if done properly it's just a low risk, high high reward move, but the chance to achieve the reward is incredibly low. I guess it's better classified as a no risk, very rare high reward.

If you're willing to take the odds in certain situations then you won't get punished. I mean usually there's a lot of other options that have higher chances of connecting.

actually...I know d-tilt goes diagonally downward on the edge of yoshi's island, does it do the same with u-tilt? If so that would be pretty nasty

Edit:
So you know when you can do another dtilt/ftilt/jab? Honestly, why wouldn't somebody want to know is what I'm more interested in.

I think he meant why include the frames it takes to get to the end of the visual animation, and just keep the frames it takes to do another move. I'm pretty sure it's to make people feel warm and cozy about having IASA frames

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I don't know if this is known or not, but Ganon's Fair will take priority over Snakes Usmash. I was battling a guy, and he launched the moratar. I randomly did Fair and it exploded the mortar, with Ganon coming out unharmed. :D
Nair does as well and is probably more practical since it comes out quicker and doesn't have that awful landing lag.

Oh and i'm going to get seriously into Ganon now and I was wondering what stages besides Delfino does Ganon do well on? I was considering Halberd as a good cp considering the low ceiling?

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Nair does as well and is probably more practical since it comes out quicker and doesn't have that awful landing lag.

Oh and i'm going to get seriously into Ganon now and I was wondering what stages besides Delfino does Ganon do well on? I was considering Halberd as a good cp considering the low ceiling?
Delfino, Pirate Ship, Norfair, Battlefield, Smashville, and I rather like Luigi's Mansion, as well. I always seem to be Murder Choking to dilt chains.

TP

Smash Master

Pirate Ship is the best, assuming it isn't banned. The water is great, since Ganon sucks at recovery. Since Ganon has the strongest spike in the game, he can kill through the water better than anyone. Best of all, we have the Boat Spike. Hang from the left ledge, then jump and murder choke. You will grab them and go through the platform into the water. They die by getting hit by the boat while you live.

Norfair is my next favorite (again assuming it is legal). The layout helps our recovery, and if we ganoncide into the lava, there is a good chance that only we will survive. Brinstar, which is legal more often, has a similar effect with its acid. Delfino is a good cp as well, thanks to water and a very nice layout and pretty colors.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii

Delfino is good but you run into a bit of trouble with more characters than you'd think, specifically Meta and DK.

Personally the stages I've been absolutely loving are Pirate Ship (assuming it's allowed), Battlefield, and Norfair. I'll usually use FD to counter Marth and MK because it gives me some breathing room to think more about spacing and less about autocancels.

Luigi's Mansion...eeeeeeh. I'm actually thinking about training on it a little bit more to see if I can turn it into a good Ganon stage, but it really works against him most of the time. In the lower levels, you're screwed if you inadvertently throw out a fake out stomp. Pillars do delay attacks, but your attacks can get weakened more often than you might think, and wizkick can get ruined. Plus, that ledge is absolutely awful for ganondorf. You can't even see the lip half of the time. I dunno, I'll work with it a bit more.

Everybody should know their play on Battlefield in and out. I have been wrecking there.

hyperstation

Smash Lord

I think that Halberd isn't exactly an advantage for Ganon, but it's not horrible either.

The flying platform has those 2 angled parts which can cause problems for autocanceled aerials if you're not careful, and I find that the platform in the middle is a little bit awkward.

The best neutrals for Ganon are, without a doubt IMO, BF and Smashville. I use the platforms strategically all day.

Maybe the best CP for Ganon is Norfair because its platform spacing is perfect for UAir ****. Lavaciding with Aerial Side+B is nasty as well.

@HomE

Smash Ace
I think that Halberd isn't exactly an advantage for Ganon, but it's not horrible either.

The flying platform has those 2 angled parts which can cause problems for autocanceled aerials if you're not careful, and I find that the platform in the middle is a little bit awkward.

The best neutrals for Ganon are, without a doubt IMO, BF and Smashville. I use the platforms strategically all day.

Maybe the best CP for Ganon is Norfair because its platform spacing is perfect for UAir ****. Lavaciding with Aerial Side+B is nasty as well.
I personally HATE halberd, Its not that its a bad map for Ganon. I just have a habit of using Gerudo to grab/regrab the edge....which leads to very pointless SDs. The angles on the edge like you mentioned can REALLY hurt Ganons ability to auto cancel near the edge. for some reason bad things always seem to happen to me on Halberd...

I stick to BF (my fav), Smashville, Pirate ship (epic things happen here) and FD (as long as im not VSing lucario, samus, ect..)

Just my 2 cents.

Smash Hero
The Netherlands still have a lot of stages banned, including Norfair. The only Ganondorf CP I got left is Frigate Orpheon and Delfino Plaza. Ganondorf can **** so hard on the first part of Frigate, no joke. Halberd is okay for Ganondorf, nothing special.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
The Netherlands still have a lot of stages banned, including Norfair. The only Ganondorf CP I got left is Frigate Orpheon and Delfino Plaza. Ganondorf can **** so hard on the first part of Frigate, no joke. Halberd is okay for Ganondorf, nothing special.
Say whaaaa? I don't know who you are playing but if you aren't having a tough time on Frigate on the first part of the stage then they aren't extremely good.

Sure, Frigate is small and that can help ganon immensely because there's no projectile camping. But as soon as you get knocked off that right side you're pretty much done for against a decent player. I pray every second when I'm playing on that stage for it to stay on the second part.

Smash Hero
Say whaaaa? I don't know who you are playing but if you aren't having a tough time on Frigate on the first part of the stage then they aren't extremely good.

Sure, Frigate is small and that can help ganon immensely because there's no projectile camping. But as soon as you get knocked off that right side you're pretty much done for against a decent player. I pray every second when I'm playing on that stage for it to stay on the second part.
Don't get hit

Really though, EVERYBODY is afraid of the right side of the stage. That's why it's such a good stage. I'm not at all afraid of the non-edge, so I can just abuse it all the way and predict my left-sided opponent more easily.

@HomE

Smash Ace
Don't get hit

Really though, EVERYBODY is afraid of the right side of the stage. That's why it's such a good stage. I'm not at all afraid of the non-edge, so I can just abuse it all the way and predict my left-sided opponent more easily.

FTilt Olimar, Ivysaur, or ZSS off the right side and its GG, I <3 that level :)

deadpoe7

Smash Apprentice
Hey, since lag is such an killer, do you guys think we should divide the match finding thread into regions to make it easier for people to find minimal-lag matches? Just throwin' it out there.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Hey, since lag is such an killer, do you guys think we should divide the match finding thread into regions to make it easier for people to find minimal-lag matches? Just throwin' it out there.
Read the OP. I have everything broken down to regions and everyone's cities and states are listed.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
If you catch someone like Squirtle charging a F-smash or D-smash, throw it out, and you'll give the guy a huge scare. If he doesn't release the Smash immediately and gtfo, BOOM!

You can throw it out if you read someone misspacing something fairly laggy. If they don't get hit by it, they will probably be scared and shield, in which case you'll possibly break their shield.

Set off Snake's land mines with it for the lolz. If he likes spacing fulljump N-airs, it's possible to punish him with Up-tilt.

Use it to encourage people to stop edgecamping...I guess.

All in all you need a lot of mindgames to actually hit with it, but at least the attack has low ending lag.
(I'm a little late to read this) Thanks guys! I just destroyed my friend's Falco's recovery XD. It was the perfect prediction!

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Well, I managed to Warlock Punch an Ike out of his UpB while he was attempting to recover earlier today... the small question I have is would it be possible for something like this to be replicated on a normal occasion during matches against Ike? I don't really keep track with Ganon that much anymore, so I wasn't sure if landing that hit was just a freak of nature, or if it could actually be done consistently.

The Ike was attempting a low recovery using his UpB while I stayed on the stage slightly back from the ledge and charged Warlock Punch. We both got hit by eachother's attacks, but the punch obviously killed him while I suffered just a scratch. Or I still have the replay if necessary, if this question is even worth any trouble.

TP

Smash Master
Well, I managed to Warlock Punch an Ike out of his UpB while he was attempting to recover earlier today... the small question I have is would it be possible for something like this to be replicated on a normal occasion during matches against Ike? I don't really keep track with Ganon that much anymore, so I wasn't sure if landing that hit was just a freak of nature, or if it could actually be done consistently.

The Ike was attempting a low recovery using his UpB while I stayed on the stage slightly back from the ledge and charged Warlock Punch. We both got hit by eachother's attacks, but the punch obviously killed him while I suffered just a scratch. Or I still have the replay if necessary, if this question is even worth any trouble.
If the two of you are in that position, an Ftilt will knock him far enough for him to not recover anyway. Seems like a much better option. :ohwell:

Kishin

Smash Ace
Question: Does ganon's U-tilt cancel momentum? I think I recall this happening but I don't have a replay or anything. Also, when is the best time to use N-air? It seems that U-air or F-air would be a better and easier punishing move and you can't SH cancel N-air. And...if I jump and down+b fast enough then ganon doesn't rise but just smacks the floor and hits everything up doing 7% damage with a whole lot of lag afterwards. My question is does this technique combo with side+b? It has a lot of lag at the end but if there's a % where it knocks the opponent far back enough to be safe and it turns out it works on characters that his other comboing attacks won't work on then it might be viable.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Question: Does ganon's U-tilt cancel momentum? I think I recall this happening but I don't have a replay or anything. Also, when is the best time to use N-air? It seems that U-air or F-air would be a better and easier punishing move and you can't SH cancel N-air. And...if I jump and down+b fast enough then ganon doesn't rise but just smacks the floor and hits everything up doing 7% damage with a whole lot of lag afterwards. My question is does this technique combo with side+b? It has a lot of lag at the end but if there's a % where it knocks the opponent far back enough to be safe and it turns out it works on characters that his other comboing attacks won't work on then it might be viable.
UTilt can cancel momentum.

I like using it in teams a lot, especially once it's down to 2v1. I team with some DKs and they will cargo carry/throw them into my Utilt, and if the character is in the air, the Utilt will cancel their toss momentum and pull them to the ground. It's really fun.

I like using NAir over the edge out of a Wizard Kick or Wizard Kick Cancel to gimp recoveries and as a stage spike when people are ledge hanging. It's a great gimping move beyond the ledge but doesn't have as much offensive application over the stage. It comes out pretty fast and you can use it to break combos on you sometimes.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
He asked whether it was guaranteed from side b.

It is, but only on certain people. For a chart of that check the thread that fenix is doing HERE.

Honestly, d-tilt hits all the people that quake does plus more. It does the same thing, is less risky, and is much faster. Kalm, you should also include in the Quake question that...hell no, it is not useful.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
How do you guys deal with a Fair-spacing Jigglypuff?
I've had some difficulties with it, lately..

stRIP

Smash Ace
Hmm

Im playing jiggs a lot but he is never spamming a spaced fair

I would say you should spam SH bair, but i dont know about the prio..

all what i can say

Gleam

Smash Ace
Uair or basically any aerial you want. Jigglypuff has great aerial spacing and movement but we overkill her with our better priority and reach. Just space yourself and once she's in range Uair. Uair alone is enough to complete stop and wreck all of her aerials save for Pound.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
B-air and u-air both have better reach and priority, and can take out a jiggz f-air very quickly. If the jiggz tris to get to friendly up close, maintain spacing and use these to make her very cautious. It's hard to get around them.

Wizkick does an excellent job as a surprise tactic if she's trying to remain further away. It'll hit her right out of the air. Just be careful in using it that often because it'll start to get veeery predictable.

TP

Smash Master
A code came out that allows the player to freeze the game and go through it one frame at a time. This means that my previously discontinued frame data project is going to make a comeback. However, it will have to wait for a bit. I need at least half of the people in Ganongasm to be eliminated before I open up that can of worms.

Of course, I am not the only person here with the homebrew channel. However, I AM the only person here currently busy running a large online tournament. In other words... someone wanna do the entire board a favor?

Smash Hero
I have the homebrew channel, but you'll have to find me a PAL version of the code. Then, I'll be able to do it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Am I the only person here who thinks N-air is very useful for edgeguards?

Just saying, it lingers and hits outwards, and has good range. Good for catching people out of air dodges.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll try that N-air for edge guarding now that it's been suggested. I usually try and bait air dodge for down-a or f-a them. They are unpredictable sometimes and actually attack me though so I think N-air might help me with getting people air dodging back onto the stage after I edge guard with N-air a couple of times.

Smash Hero
While we're on the topic of nair, I've seen NinjaLink use nair a lot in his gameplay and needless to say... It didn't quite work. It was interesting, but nothing superbly revolutionary was shown... It's too bad because nair has potential with how fast it comes out and the form of his hitbox. Not to mention it looks like it should autocancel from a shorthop, but doesn't n__n

Top Bottom