• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question? We've got answers! Check out the OP for FAQs!

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
what do you think about using dash attack as a kill move? i've begun to pull it off more often nowadays (and by often i mean about once a set). it's surprisingly effective, it can punish airdodging into the ground, spotdodges, and rolls in either direction really. its even safer near the ledge since it pushes shields ridiculously far. i'll admit it really comes down to the playstyle of the other person, i would never use it against a super grab happy person, but if you're dashing at someone who's kinda far away and they like to airdodge into the ground, dash attack is amazing for low percent kills.

Tekk

Smash Lord
Don't do it often or you'll get predicable.
It really works on chars than fear your grab the most, so they gonna be spotdoding on your dash attack most of the time.
It's been a whiiiiiiile I didnt kill with that, but I have to rethink about this, because it can be very useful, the DA killing pretty early...

I'd like a more experimented person's opinion on it, Beef ?Serin ?

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Is there a thread with D3s frame data?
I can't seem to find one:ohwell:
We don't have any.
what do you think about using dash attack as a kill move? i've begun to pull it off more often nowadays (and by often i mean about once a set). it's surprisingly effective, it can punish airdodging into the ground, spotdodges, and rolls in either direction really. its even safer near the ledge since it pushes shields ridiculously far. i'll admit it really comes down to the playstyle of the other person, i would never use it against a super grab happy person, but if you're dashing at someone who's kinda far away and they like to airdodge into the ground, dash attack is amazing for low percent kills.
What I think about it as a kill move? It's a fabulous kill move. And pretty much all of what you said about it is all that it has. Don't expect it to be your savior all the time though and you already know why. It's extremely hard to kill with it and any time you really do kill somebody with it...it's a mindgame. Nothing else needs to be said about it.
critique pls :)
i decided to film these matches because I have trouble with this matchup. I know I played really terrible in these :(

my johnz - playing on a TV with lag screwing up my PSing and z catching and my c stick screws up when I hit it down which is why sometimes I would just randomly jump into the air without doing anything when I was trying to dair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y7YC0FFRbI&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_GZKAgxnO0&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30wFpjuysyU&feature=channel
Quite a gang of people say they have a lot of trouble with Toon Link, but the reality is that people haven't gotten yet... is that we don't have as many options against Toon Link in the first place. That's just how this matchup is..it's not you at all that thinks you're having trouble with him. It's not really that bad though because we have the chaingrab, otherwise it would be a 40:60 matchup for us. In theory, it's because of his aerial moblity combined with his fast projectiles/neutral air Zair, which makes him swift. So let's review what options we really have against him as an approach, there's only two and a half, which is very low.

1.) We have a reverse aerial rushed back air which needs to be timed after shielding his "stuff".
2.) Is that we can shield...and hopefully get a grab from his incorrect spacing.
3.) Shield his "stuff" and forward tilt. Oh and the other half is throwing a waddle dee here and there, which will involve shielding something immediately after.

Everything else will not work, which are as follows: approaching a fullhop downair or forward air. Dash attack [don't expect to on any other character] Or any other options we you can think of...will not work.
So with those available options being said, notice how all of them involve shielding because of what Toon Link has against us. That's the theory to this matchup, and there is literally nothing else that can be explained for it because it's a weird matchup. The theory [or my theory] is...It's all about having the correct shielding reaction to Toon Link as well has hitting him at the same time. It takes a little more practice to knowing when to shield apropriately and when to not while successfully hitting him.
I don't think my own critique is necessary here, it's just what I said above is all you need to know for the matchup. I'd say that's why he's a soft counter in the first place.

I would say, in general for your gameplay, don't use up smash more than once in a 10 second time period. You were doing well with chaingrabbing too. :)

Jupz

Smash Master
Yah the problem was the TV had lag so sometimes I would try and Uptilt and it would accidentally Upsmash :(

But sometimes I tryed to charge it when I think he is going to try and airdodge into me as it covers both sides and the backwards swing can punish the airdodge. But yes I need to use it a bit less lol.

Thanks a lot beefy :)

And yes I do second MK Zip lol :)

Jupz

Smash Master
Well it was at the tournament, at home I practice on a TV with no lag. And I can play fine on those TV's after I get accustomed to them but I just went there straight after a TV with no lag. But next time I will try and get those videos on a TV with less lag.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
My friend(A decent Mario, him being his main) keeps playing mind games with my Dedede, and manages to gimp me all the time with his cape while recovering...

How can I improve my skills as Dedede? I think I might be playing Dedede wrong too, as I don't see the typical results I (think) should be seeing, how, and in what areas is Dedede most effective? I'm not that good with him(I picked him up a couple weeks back, have almost NO intention playing as older characters I did, he's just too much fun) and would like to improve my skills. So to all you Dedede players out that, I ask of you....

How do I Improve?(By the way, I'm practicing everyday)

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
DDD is most effective in Alantic South.

Nah I kid.

First off, this thread contains all the information you need to know as a D3 player.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=245025

Now that you know how D3 is played, you need to see examples of it in practice. Here are a collection of videos showcasing just that.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=212083

If you are having trouble against a particular tactic, you will either find it here, or you could suggest it.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=228990

I hope these help.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
I want to main DDD because hes teh funnest. But I think I'll keep him as a secondarie. SO who do I watch and what should I learn is what Im asking. obviously I can cg with him, I can space my aerials pretty decently I just cant get over some of the lag. oh and I cant tech chase with him.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
I want to main DDD because hes teh funnest. But I think I'll keep him as a secondarie. SO who do I watch and what should I learn is what Im asking. obviously I can cg with him, I can space my aerials pretty decently I just cant get over some of the lag. oh and I cant tech chase with him.
There shouldn't be anyone specific that you should watch. Watching everybody will give you more to look at and seeing what they do differently, or anything they're doing you may want to do also. Whether it would be CO18, Atomsk, Fogo video thread, Seibrik's video thread, or my video thread, I'm sure there's many things you'll pick up from all players in videos.

And about tech chasing... it's not about watching other people doing it, it's a matter of you learning your reactions to where your opponent will roll, or if shielding their get-up attack. The correct input to what your opponent does, you can always do it blindly too, hoping you'll get them. That's something to practice, if you want to be good at tech chasing.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
There shouldn't be anyone specific that you should watch. Watching everybody will give you more to look at and seeing what they do differently, or anything they're doing you may want to do also. Whether it would be CO18, Atomsk, Fogo video thread, Seibrik's video thread, or my video thread, I'm sure there's many things you'll pick up from all players in videos.

And about tech chasing... it's not about watching other people doing it, it's a matter of you learning your reactions to where your opponent will roll, or if shielding their get-up attack. The correct input to what your opponent does, you can always do it blindly too, hoping you'll get them. That's something to practice, if you want to be good at tech chasing.
thanks! I have experience with tech chasing with g&w, I havent perfected it but I can do it. With DDD i havent been able to do it yet. I've been trying on comps and I couldnt pull it off most of the time.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
I was wondering if you DDD mains will tell me how well DDD does on battlefield?
Good - Neutral - Bad?
Hey there familiar Donkey Kong from those boards. There's hardly anybody but me, that will help you here because most of others are inactive right now. To answer your second question, King Dedede is "neutral" on this stage because of the following reasons. His strengths on here:
  • are his better chances to attain up tilt kills by use of the platforms
  • and his back air is just as deadly as Marth's forward air here with the platforms available. Mainly just back airing in the dead middle of the stage to keep almost total stage control.
  • His up air will be more likely to connect all of its hits [unlike it normally does] on this stage from the platforms as well, and it shield pokes with tons of pressure with incoming aerials afterwards.
  • If the player is smart enough, King Dedede can keep the opponent offstage more with use of his grab and back air[and worse for chaingrabbable characters].
  • This is his best neutral against his following bad matchups: Falco, Ice Climbers, Pikachu, Olimar. Diddy Kong is an Even matchup for us but this is the best neutral against him also for banana avoiding tactics. All five of these matchups are slightly easier on Battlefield because we can down air camp with platforms, and avoid their grabs/projectiles easier. We can throw Waddle Dees that are less punishable on platforms too if the opponent is far enough away.
Everything of his strengths on this stage pretty much revolves around the platforms.
The bad points to this stage for him are......uhhh....just that he can be sometimes edgeguarded with attacks easier by characters like Marth, Snake, and Meta Knight. He's more vulnerable to attacks when he's UpBing back.. and the platforms assist with the opponent's edgeguarding attacks.
So to summarize, he has more advantages on this stage than he does disadvantages...therefore he does more well here, than his roughly crappy neutral, Yoshi's Island. But I'm still saying he's Neutral on here, lol.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Wario
->Standing infinite boost grab
Dthrow, boost Dthrow until around 192%
got this from buumans thread was wondering if wario can really CG this high and where did this info get found out or if there's any vids of this happening or any explanation behind it.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
I didn't really figure that this was a question, but I have only seen that in Buuman's thread. Since you're a Wario, you should be testing and making sure if it really works. This is not the Wario boards, and I'm guessing he just found it out himself.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
I just came back to competitive smashed and joined the D3 side
Everyone cheer
:o
Ok my question is wheres the video thread? all i see is a pic thread peeps >_>
Or do yall have one anymore?
And finally whos at the top of the D3 chains now M2K still rocking it?

Jupz

Smash Master
CO18 is most probably the best All-Dedede, with other great DDD's being Seibrik, Atomsk, and Lain.

There is a video thread somewhere lol but its outdated. Look at seibriks personal video thread.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I didn't really figure that this was a question, but I have only seen that in Buuman's thread. Since you're a Wario, you should be testing and making sure if it really works. This is not the Wario boards, and I'm guessing he just found it out himself.
I have been testing it but it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack just looking for a little more to go off of you know ?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Well, their talking about it on the Wario boards. DMG seems to know the most about it.
it is being discussed on the Wario boards I figured I come to the d3 boards since this is where the information was posted at.

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
Does the D3 board have a XAT room, MSN/Skype group, or anything to collaborate with?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
xat.com/lolgrabzlol

The discussion in the social thread got me wondering - what are the kill percents for downB?

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
xat.com/lolgrabzlol

The discussion in the social thread got me wondering - what are the kill percents for downB?
I'm going to say this roughly.....from what I've experienced of an uncharged down B kill. It kills Snake in the 150s...so we can infer that mid-weight characters die in the 130s-140s, while the lighter characters die in the 110s-120s.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Yes it's pretty d*** high. I remember completely about Snake being 150ish. Uncharged isn't as powerful as it seems. :(

I don't know full charged....sigh. I can see a big difference to 150 though. I'm guessing 55 for Snake.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
Hello, I have a question.

The following is assuming that all items are off, and are put on None.

What are the chances of King Dedede throwing a gordo?
What about the chances of him throwing a capsule?
Is it possible for an item, specifically, a smoke, to come out of one of these capsules?
What about the possibility for D3 to throw a smashball?

I need to know this, as this will help me determine whether someone had cheated during a match.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
gordo- same as on i believe.
capsule- none
item- none
smashball- none

Question:
Is it possible for Snake to pull out a nade when he's caught in Blizzard?

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
What are the chances of pulling a gordo then? Percentage, fraction, something.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I think Smash Dojo (the original smash site) didn't give us an exact percent so I really don't think we have it.

Top Bottom