• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HellaSmashed V

Jack the Ripper

Smash Rookie
Might have a problem
Dal housing says if you are 18 or younger you need a 19 or older chaperon
I'm only 18

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
OP has been updated with the new poster. Expect a promotional combo/highlight video to be released soon!

:248:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Currently just for HS, as it turns out Dalhousie requires an insurance certificate to run the event, which is probably gonna make it close to the same price as the HUB.

We'll see how things turn out.

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
whatever happened to aperature studios, you guys not deal with them anymore? brian is a really good guy and was always very reasonable with pricing. the venue itself was pretty big too.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
woah is this MLG? lol I think in the results thread if a unusual stage is used it should be noted along with characters used.

billybeegood

Smash Apprentice
I'm not going to sit back when others talk ****, sorry.
Self control at its finest. if you're in such a good standing why bother defending something, it's not like we're going to have a bigger pot than montreal or anything. actually I lied, we are

EDIT: also I should have forseen mtl stealing the date, just look at allys propic

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
WELL THEN

Anyway, I have a bunch of questions about this, seeing how it's only a few days away. Quick answers would be awesome. =D

1. There isn't by any chance a promotional code I can enter to get a discount off of the Dalhousie dorm rooms, is there? I know it wasn't mentioned anywhere, but I saw a field for "Conference Name" on the form for booking a room, and if there's any chance I can minimize the amount of money I have to spend, I'm gonna take it.

2. Are there going to be any smashfests happening within reach of the venue on Friday? I can choose between arriving in Halifax at 3:30 and arriving at 10:30, and the answer to that question will pretty much decide which timing I'm going for. This trip isn't cheap, and I really do want to make the most of it!

3. I'm going to be bringing my brother with me. This was just decided recently (I had long since told Tom8er I was going to team with him), so I'm conflicted as to who I'm going to team with, because I do want him to be able to enter both Singles and Doubles. Is there anybody who would be willing to team with him? It'll be his first tournament, but he has been to a couple fairly big Alberta smashfests, and he has a pretty decent D3.

4. On a related note, if I bring our Wii with us, will we both be allowed in the venue to set-up at 10:00? He's only 13, and though he's very mature for his age, I'm not going to leave him on his own at any point during the weekend. Also, are music hacks considered acceptable for tournament play here?

5. How much IS the pot bonus anyway? Or is it a surprise? :awesome:

Bonus Question: What are the food options close to the venue?

Can't wait to meet you guys! The hype is starting to settle in...

:005:

Croi

Smash Lord
I thought this was a hype thread?
It sure is! Didn't you hear? They have *!~M2K~!* showing up at their tournament! If that's not hype I dunno what is!

@Firefly:

2: I dunno what anyone else's plans are. Me and some guys are going to get together for a four-man shindig practice as often as we can, including Friday; I'd have to bring it up with the host but we could probably squeeze you in.

4: Yes, venue is open for people with setups at 10. Try not to take an hour to set up, though. Music hacks and character textures are allowed, but not stage textures.

B: A Tim Hortons somewhere nearby, I think...

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
1. There isn't by any chance a promotional code I can enter to get a discount off of the Dalhousie dorm rooms, is there? I know it wasn't mentioned anywhere, but I saw a field for "Conference Name" on the form for booking a room, and if there's any chance I can minimize the amount of money I have to spend, I'm gonna take it.
I don't believe there is, or if there is I wasn't told, so I'll ask Raz about it as well to make sure. I know that if you're a registered student (not just at Dal, anywhere) you get a discount though.

2. Are there going to be any smashfests happening within reach of the venue on Friday? I can choose between arriving in Halifax at 3:30 and arriving at 10:30, and the answer to that question will pretty much decide which timing I'm going for. This trip isn't cheap, and I really do want to make the most of it!
As Croi mentioned, he and I and two other dudes will be playing some smash Friday evening so you might be able to drop by too. Other than that I'm not sure what the others are doing.

3. I'm going to be bringing my brother with me. This was just decided recently (I had long since told Tom8er I was going to team with him), so I'm conflicted as to who I'm going to team with, because I do want him to be able to enter both Singles and Doubles. Is there anybody who would be willing to team with him? It'll be his first tournament, but he has been to a couple fairly big Alberta smashfests, and he has a pretty decent D3.
Even if he isn't able to find someone to pre-register with, I'm sure we can hook him up with a partner at the event, there's almost always several people who don't have teammates set-up beforehand and I'm sure at least one of them will want to do doubles as well.

You can try the Facebook group as well to see if anyone wants to pre-register with him, a lot more of the attendees are on Facebook relative to SWF.

5. How much IS the pot bonus anyway? Or is it a surprise? :awesome:
Well it's complicated, because we wanted to do a fundraiser tournament but it didn't go over so well. We may still be able to work something out, but it'll be a surprise if anything does come up, lol.

Bonus Question: What are the food options close to the venue?
Yah there's pretty much guaranteed to be a Tim Horton's if you walk a block in any direction. I'm not entirely sure that there are any decent fast food places near the university, but we'll have it figured out and will be able to give directions to places to eat at the event.

Can't wait to meet you guys! The hype is starting to settle in...
It's gonna be a great time, I look forward to meeting you too!

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
As far as food around Dal goes...

There's a Tim Horton's on the first floor of the SUB, as well as a cafeteria, but they have certain hours usually. There's a Second Cup in the Killam, and they sell food there as well, though it depends on the day what you can get. There's a Tim Horton's in the LSC. And if you're willing to walk a couple blocks, there's a Subway on the corner of Coburg, and a real ****ty Chinese restaurant called Jean's that I do not recommend. There's also Starbucks as well.

Anything else is down on Spring Garden, mostly. But it doesn't take that long to walk there.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
@Firefly:

2: I dunno what anyone else's plans are. Me and some guys are going to get together for a four-man shindig practice as often as we can, including Friday; I'd have to bring it up with the host but we could probably squeeze you in.

4: Yes, venue is open for people with setups at 10. Try not to take an hour to set up, though. Music hacks and character textures are allowed, but not stage textures.

B: A Tim Hortons somewhere nearby, I think...
That would be awesome if we could join in for a bit of practice. =0 How far away would you be from Dalhousie campus? Regarding set-up, my Wii would probably just have music hacks, along with stuff like infinite replays/pause camera/etc, so there shouldn't be any issues there.

I don't believe there is, or if there is I wasn't told, so I'll ask Raz about it as well to make sure. I know that if you're a registered student (not just at Dal, anywhere) you get a discount though.

Even if he isn't able to find someone to pre-register with, I'm sure we can hook him up with a partner at the event, there's almost always several people who don't have teammates set-up beforehand and I'm sure at least one of them will want to do doubles as well.

You can try the Facebook group as well to see if anyone wants to pre-register with him, a lot more of the attendees are on Facebook relative to SWF.

Did not know about the student discount! Would I just have to show a student ID when I check in? And hopefully we'll be able to sort out doubles; I know there usually is the odd person wanting to join in on doubles last minute, but I'm not familiar with your community, so I just wanted to make sure it was the same over here. =P My brother doesn't have Facebook, so maybe the in-person approach would work best for him?

As far as food around Dal goes...

There's a Tim Horton's on the first floor of the SUB, as well as a cafeteria, but they have certain hours usually. There's a Second Cup in the Killam, and they sell food there as well, though it depends on the day what you can get. There's a Tim Horton's in the LSC. And if you're willing to walk a couple blocks, there's a Subway on the corner of Coburg, and a real ****ty Chinese restaurant called Jean's that I do not recommend. There's also Starbucks as well.

Anything else is down on Spring Garden, mostly. But it doesn't take that long to walk there.
Sounds great! Personally, Tim Hortons and Subway should be enough to keep me satisfied for the weekend, and I'm sure my brother would be fine with that was well.

Thanks guys! I'll be waiting on a conformation for a Friday smashfest. *crosses fingers*

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Unfortunately I have no idea how the discount would work, you might be able to find some information on the Dal website. >_<

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
That would be awesome if we could join in for a bit of practice. =0 How far away would you be from Dalhousie campus?
Well, not too far relative to where some other local players live, lol. It's over on the Dartmouth side, probably a 20-25 minute drive, traffic and construction permitting of course. I'll send you directions when the guy replies, just messaged him asking if you and your brother could come over too (I assume you'd want to bring your brother along). I'm sure it won't be a problem.

My brother doesn't have Facebook, so maybe the in-person approach would work best for him?
Oh, well I just meant you could ask on his behalf, but either way works really. Not necessarily 100% guaranteed to find someone at the event in person, but I guess it's not a done deal trying to find someone to pre-register with either. Hopefully it works out for you; if you haven't found someone to team with him by the day of, I can help him get a partner at the event.

Game and Watch

Smash Rookie
Everything in Halifax/Dartmouth is accessble by transit. I'd be willing to drive people though for a bit of gas moneys ;)

:phone:

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Hmm...is it accessible by transit? We'll be bussing over, so driving isn't an option for us. :x

One of us may be able to pick you up; Croi lives right in Halifax, I'll ask him about it a.s.a.p. Otherwise public transit will definitely get you there. It's a go for Friday by the way, host says the more the merrier.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Glad to hear it! We'll be arriving at the Acadian Bus Lines terminal at around 3:40 on Friday. We'll probably want to check in at the university first so we aren't lugging our clothes and stuff with us, and I imagine that would all be sorted out not much later than 4:30.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Okay, we wouldn't be starting until around 6:00 anyways, due to work and stuff. Croi is a douche and won't pick you guys up, so it may have to be public transit.

Top Bottom