• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hip Hop: The Poetic Side

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
O_O Fab has been around for YEARS, and has some amazing albums and also mixtape stuff. The album "Loso's Way" although not his best, as a whole was good. (Throw it in the bag does have meaning, btw...lol) You know just like I do, you can't always rely on what's put out on the radio to be judged for talent as a whole. If that's all you've heard....maybe you might want to dig deeper. I usually do that before I give up on an artist.
Eh, I listened to a few albums and I can honestly say that I don't like him.

Dom Kennedy...enough said lol
Anyways, I put up a sample to a song i was working on and i want to see what yall think.

Myspace.com/theloudslence, Its called All night (last song at the bottom)
It's pretty good, I like the production.

This list also needs Mina Mina goodsong, and of course MF Doom. Can't NOT have him. Who else... J Dilla. Many others.
MF Doom is up. J Dilla is supposed to be up... i havent put many producers up for some reason...

Doom's on there, yo.

I agree that Dilla should be on there. R.I.P.
He should, I haven't put many producers up thoo.

And yo, I want yall to check out this producer. He has a lot of ill stuff on his page, yall gotta listen: PL Midi

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
bump bump bump

and I am exactly $47 away from my Macbook Pro. When I get it, I'll start making some tracks.

and at the moment my name is Complex, but IDK if I wanna keep it that way... any suggestiions?

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Maybe intentionally mispell complex? Idk pretty legit name honestly, I'd namesearch it on youtube first though.
idk... i really like Mos Def and Common Sense because theyre phrases. IDK What phrase I could use as a name tho.

Complex is alright but its too... simple. But nobody has it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPHRXAAHg6M

Yo listen to that it's absolutely sick.

That's my squad. So please leave some constructive criticism and pointers please and thank you!
I gotta be honest, I don't think it's good at all. No flow....

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Miley Cyrus for one. Writes her own songs, plays the guitar, she has a beautiful voice, is generally good looking and her songs have a meaning.

Christina Aguilera too, she composed her own music, looked good AND had a really good voice without morphing it.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Not a joke, despite her being an alledged sell-out, she's talented.

And, yea, what's wrong with it? I like the song and the video, how is it helping your argument?

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Not a joke, despite her being an alledged sell-out, she's talented.
Very talented...I'll take it you didn't know that the "things" she went through aren't real, right?

And the video for party in the USA disgusts me.
Insult to Americans everywhere.

And, yea, what's wrong with it? I like the song and the video, how is it helping your argument?
I'll take it you didn't hear the lyrics?

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
What's wrong with a song not being about murdering people because they hatin on your hood and ****** *****es?

Just because it doesn't have the "deeper meaning" you're looking for, doesn't mean the song is bad.
You'll need something better than that to convince.

And I don't really care about what Miley Cyrus has "been through", it's about the music she makes which is good.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
What's wrong with a song not being about murdering people because they hatin on your hood and ****** *****es?

Just because it doesn't have the "deeper meaning" you're looking for, doesn't mean the song is bad.
You'll need something better than that to convince.
Yep, stripping is amazingly good. And good songs have good lyrics. I'm pretty sure most people would agree with me. Now listen to some real music.

And I don't really care about what Miley Cyrus has "been through", it's about the music she makes which is good.
How is it "good", then.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I can't possibly tell you how music is good, you just have to know and be able to appreciate it, but all I see is high-school freshmans who just discovered hip-hop bashing pop music, actually trying to prove that music that I'm listening to is wrong and FAKE.
I can't even ask someone why they go out of their way just prove to the rest of the world why someone's music choice is the wrong one without being called out for my own taste and be told to listen to real music.

Now if that's not the saddest thing you've ever heard.

No, I lied, I don't think Miley Cyrus is talented and Christina Aguilera was a fun singer for the time, I can still appreciate it.
However, I still listen to pop music (notice my avatar herp), granted not a lot, but I still enjoy it a lot. Even if it makes me a "mainstream-*** that is unable to recognize real music", while listening to nearly every other genre of music.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Because Hip-hop doesn't use auto-tune :)!

Really, if that's your argument that the music is fake, you really have a lot to learn.
Just because the voice is morphed to sound better (I'm not talking about ridiculous overused auto-tune like the real hip-hop artists T-pain and Drake ;)), does that mean the music is completely fake, and that everything else in what I hear there is fake, and therefore fails.

I can still hear the music I listen to, so it is real.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Because Hip-hop doesn't use auto-tune :)!

Really, if that's your argument that the music is fake, you really have a lot to learn.
Just because the voice is morphed to sound better (I'm not talking about ridiculous overused auto-tune like the real hip-hop artists T-pain and Drake ;)), does that mean the music is completely fake, and that everything else in what I hear there is fake, and therefore fails.

I can still hear the music I listen to, so it is real.
3 things:

1. You are the most stubborn person i've ever met.
2. Drake doesn't autotune.
3. Autotune takes away the talent required to sing.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
3 things:

1. You are the most stubborn person i've ever met.
2. Drake doesn't autotune.
3. Autotune takes away the talent required to sing.
??? For disagreeing with your opinion that my taste in music is the wrong one?

Yeah he uses auto-tune.

Everyone uses auto-tune, just some are not as noticable as others, but they definitly do it just to alter it to sound better. At least, bigger artists do.

If you don't like autotune, I don't even know what you're doing defending hip-hop. You should go and like music from before the 90's if you don't want auto-tune in your song.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
??? For disagreeing with your opinion that my taste in music is the wrong one?
No. For disagreeing and having reasons that you aren't backing up with fact.

Everyone uses auto-tune, just some are not as noticable as others, but they definitly do it just to alter it to sound better. At least, bigger artists do.

If you don't like autotune, I don't even know what you're doing defending hip-hop. You should go and like music from before the 90's if you don't want auto-tune in your song.
:metaknight: Come back when you have some proof.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Miley Cyrus for one. Writes her own songs, plays the guitar, she has a beautiful voice, is generally good looking and her songs have a meaning.
Does she write her own songs?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannah_Montana_2/Meet_Miley_Cyrus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakout_(album)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Can't_Be_Tamed

All those co writers really aren't necessary. If you wanted to name a decent self sufficient pop star you should've at least said Taylor Swift. That's all besides the point when we say "Pop" in this thread we're not referring to Lady Gaga and Taio Cruz, we're talking about Cali Swag District and Soulja Boi. Get it?

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
That's not pop, that's mainstream hip-hop deez days
Mainstream = Popular
Pop music is shorthand for Popular music.

Point being this thread is about rappers that are true lyricists and not just appeasing their major labels. Listen to a few artists on the list that you may not have heard of and then you can truly understand what we're talking about.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
This thread is basically a ****fest of people that worship rappers for not making money of what they are doing and telling everyone who likes mainstream rap or pop music that they are unable to listen to true music, that they are ********, can't appreciate anything and their music is plain wrong.

But yea, that's just what I gathered from this thread

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
This thread is basically a ****fest of people that worship rappers for not making money of what they are doing and telling everyone who likes mainstream rap or pop music that they are unable to listen to true music, that they are ********, can't appreciate anything and their music is plain wrong.

Not making money? Please note that OutKast aka only diamond album having rappers is on the list. You also have to remember that a lot of these artisit are independent artists. When on an independent label you have control of everything you can say in songs, but you also make a lot more money off of album sales. For example in an interview Immortal Technique mentioned that while one of his albums only sold ~40k copies (tanking by mainstream standards) he still made $400,000 solely from album sales. Then look at The Clipse's first album which went platinum. Malice and Pusha T received about $10,000 as a cut from the album sales. Also look at Lupe who is on a major label. He released his first studio album in 2006 and second in 2007 and has yet to release one since then. The reason being is because major labels profit way more off of album sales than he ever will so instead he makes mixtapes and tours a lot to take advantage of loopholes in his contract to make more money. The purpose of this thread is to acknowledge rappers who stay true tot he roots of hip hop and spit good lyrics, not just yelling and dancing about to make money but actually making good music.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami

Being the most ignorant person I've met, it's no surprise you would say that.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Dark Horse you clearly don't know what you're talking about. I'd love to debate with you on any subject regarding rap or music in general. Guus (Santo Amancio) has a point.

Guys chill. Guus don't you listen to rap?

Top Bottom