• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Make BRSTM's from scratch - An Easy Tutorial

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Hey darksamus, can you take a screenshot of the full Audacity window, because I don't think I'm getting the equalization settings right. Also where is the convert to Brstm button in Brawlbox?
New->BRSTM Audio Stream

I'll do that and update with pictures...sometime in the future. Equalization actually varies depending on the song, so...it's really up to you how much you equalize

Fledgling

Smash Cadet
Question about looping in BrawlBox:

When I try to fiddle with my loop points by using the buttons at the top of the screen, and the press the * to set them, it really screws things up. All of a sudden my song is six seconds long. How do I use these buttons effectively? Dragging makes for choppy loop points.

Mr.Chuy

Chuy

When I try to fiddle with my loop points by using the buttons at the top of the screen, and the press the * to set them, it really screws things up. All of a sudden my song is six seconds long. How do I use these buttons effectively? Dragging makes for choppy loop points.
The first * button is used for the start loop point the second one is used for the end loop point
Does that help?

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340

Use the arrows next to the value of the loop points, it makes for a far more accurate loop, that's what I meant by fiddling

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
I wanted to thank you, darksamus77, for your helpful guide =) *tips hat*

MetaRoth

Smash Rookie
playing with this now. Very useful, very easy to follow, doesn't require wii add-ons....

Thank you very much!

Anoobish

Smash Rookie
So If I dont't have a app folder with all its folder in it in my private folder I make them right ? like : /private/app/RSBP/pf/sound/strm ?
Because I have a wii folder in my private folder with all the stuff mentioned above

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
So If I dont't have a app folder with all its folder in it in my private folder I make them right ? like : /private/app/RSBP/pf/sound/strm ?
Because I have a wii folder in my private folder with all the stuff mentioned above
yeah you would make the folders if you're missing them

Anoobish

Smash Rookie
In my private folder I didn't have an app folder but a wii folder . In that folder theres pretty much this : APP/RSBP/al,pf and st (note that are 3 folder and not one named al,pf and st) So I don't know if it would be sensefull if I created a app folder in the private folder with the stuff named above since I already have it .
Hope thats clear enough and sorry If I'm making trouble

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
In my private folder I didn't have an app folder but a wii folder . In that folder theres pretty much this : APP/RSBP/al,pf and st (note that are 3 folder and not one named al,pf and st) So I don't know if it would be sensefull if I created a app folder in the private folder with the stuff named above since I already have it .
Hope thats clear enough and sorry If I'm making trouble
you're not i'm just not awake yet
But it should work

Anoobish

Smash Rookie
I do not need HBC for this right ? or do I ?
Anyway I've made several folders just to make sure I get the music to work but it doesnt . I've tried /private/app/RSBE/pf/sound/strm
I've tried /private/wii/app and so on .
Also tried RSBP (but it doesn't work seeing as my brawl somehow is american so RSBE)
I've named the song A01.brstm
What am I doing wrong ?
Could I upload my failed brstm ? :p

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I do not need HBC for this right ? or do I ?
Anyway I've made several folders just to make sure I get the music to work but it doesnt . I've tried /private/app/RSBE/pf/sound/strm
I've tried /private/wii/app and so on .
Also tried RSBP (but it doesn't work seeing as my brawl somehow is american so RSBE)
I've named the song A01.brstm
What am I doing wrong ?
Could I upload my failed brstm ? :p
If you're using an SD Card, yes. You also need Gecko OS, a Homebrew app, to load the codes. You can also use a USB Loader...but I have no idea how that works

greenfiretornado

Smash Rookie
Thanks for this guide! Oh, and I forgot how it looked like, but the equalize i made didnt make any crackles. Still, thanks anyways!

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Thanks for this guide! Oh, and I forgot how it looked like, but the equalize i made didnt make any crackles. Still, thanks anyways!
It doesn't "make crackles" every time you do it. That's just an indicator that you clipped the BRSTM, and you have to increase its volume some other way...

HeatMan

Smash Rookie
Nifty guide you got, it seemed easy enough to follow, but I'm kinda stuck... I get to the point where I open BrawlBox and my .Wav, but it doesn't play, it's like a second and done or something weird. I got this pic to try and show what I'm talking about if it helps. I dunno why it's screwed up so I can't play it and find loops or whatever I'm doing in here. Know what went wrong or where I screwed up with this? :confused:

Anoobish

Smash Rookie
Oh yeh I am using WiiFlow which is a USBLoader if I am not mistaken
Will try later

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Nifty guide you got, it seemed easy enough to follow, but I'm kinda stuck... I get to the point where I open BrawlBox and my .Wav, but it doesn't play, it's like a second and done or something weird. I got this pic to try and show what I'm talking about if it helps. I dunno why it's screwed up so I can't play it and find loops or whatever I'm doing in here. Know what went wrong or where I screwed up with this? :confused:
Did you export the ENTIRE project as a .wav? Re-export the song as a .wav, then open it up, should fix your problem

HeatMan

Smash Rookie
I don't have an Export Entire Project option. I have just Export and Export Selection as shown here, and I tried both of those and opening them in BrawlBox, but still got nothing.

Edit: Hm... Yet saving it as a .Wav in Goldwave, I was able to load it in BrawlBox, but a trial probably won't last long for using that. <.<; If only Audacity would cooperate.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I don't have an Export Entire Project option. I have just Export and Export Selection as shown here, and I tried both of those and opening them in BrawlBox, but still got nothing.

Edit: Hm... Yet saving it as a .Wav in Goldwave, I was able to load it in BrawlBox, but a trial probably won't last long for using that. <.<; If only Audacity would cooperate.
Get the latest version (1.2.6 I believe for Windows), it has that option. You must be using an older version of Audacity. Next time, click select all, then export. Should fix that for your version

HeatMan

Smash Rookie
Oh wow, I think that worked, thanks. I guess what I had downloaded originally was 1.3 Series (Beta) from the download page. <.<;;;

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Oh wow, I think that worked, thanks. I guess what I had downloaded originally was 1.3 Series (Beta) from the download page. <.<;;;
You're welcome. Get the stable version every time, for future reference. Betas are usually buggy and don't work as well as a more stable version. This seems to be the case of Audacity...

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
This is great!
A big old bump and a thank you very much. A very handy tutorial.

Ohno

Smash Rookie
Oh my god this guide is awesome and extremely newb-friendly. Made my first brstm from Blazblue: Blood Pain and it sounds awesome :D

Tesh

Smash Hero
Where are the download links for all the apps listed in the OP? I am having trouble finding them.

Tesh

Smash Hero
OP says I need v0.64. Is .63 fine? Every time I open a wav file its empty in brawl box.

On step 10 when its supposed to "open in a new window with the songs total time" , it opens with 0 seconds and crashes when i try to play it.

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
You don't need .64 as that is a very unstable beta version
as for the second thing export it as a wav not save as and see if that fixes it

Tesh

Smash Hero
I did export it as a wav file. I open the wav file in windows media player and its fine. Then I try to stream it into BrawlBox and its just 0 or 1 second. I'm not sure if it crashed because its trying to loop and empty file or if its just a bad version I downloaded.

Tesh

Smash Hero
How is it a problem with audacity if the wav file it makes, works fine outside of BrawlBox?

I downloaded the Beta for it, but it says thats the best for Windows 7.

Edit: You were right, it works fine with the older version of Audacity. Thank you.

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
It might be a problem because of the way the wav is encoded and that might be too new for brawlbox
so i'd just say download the latest non-beta version of audacity
Sorry i'm not sounding too helpful right now it's late and my brain is fried from finals

Top Bottom