• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Make BRSTM's from scratch - An Easy Tutorial

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I'm putting my music files in Audacity, and I save them to 16-bit signed PCM WAV files, but when I make a new BRSTM with any of them, BrawlBox won't play them back, shows that they have no time, and shows samples like 9, rather than samples reaching the 10,000,000's. It does the same thing to me also when I used some WAV's I made with GoldWave.
I am having the exact same problem. :(

Edit: Nvm, I got it working. Turbo Pikachu, try downloading a different version of Audacity. I downloaded one that was some beta version by accident and it wasnt exporting the correct type of WAV files.

b2j135

Da Bess Pit
NNID
b2j135
3DS FC
3222-5569-3062
"Make it look like this (doesn't have to be exact)."

This picture is GONE!

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
"Make it look like this (doesn't have to be exact)."

This picture is GONE!
Thanks for noticing (sorry for bumping an old thread, mods, but then again, it is MY guide, after all)

You know, if I remembered who gave me the pictures, I might be able to retrieve them, but...the chances of that are slim and none. That's a real bummer, I have no idea why that picture is now missing...if I could figure out how to take screenshots of my computer screen (any help, guys?), I could update this with a more thorough guide...

soneek

Smash Ace
That's a real bummer, I have no idea why that picture is now missing...if I could figure out how to take screenshots of my computer screen (any help, guys?)
Use the Print Screen key, then open Paint or any image editor, and hit paste.

TurboPikachu

Wall of Pain
NNID
HyperChu
3DS FC
3394-3547-7986
I don't see track for Brawl's "How To Play" music on that list. Does anyone know its track code? :/

I find it to be too loud, and I'd like to replace it with a BRSTM.

DarklordRyghas

Smash Rookie
I did what this said and did the stuff with the file to fix it, exported as a .wav, and then opened in BrawlBox and it didn't work. It's got 0 duration on it and such. I've been messing with it and I can't get it to work. Do you know what I did wrong or how to fix it?

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
I did what this said and did the stuff with the file to fix it, exported as a .wav, and then opened in BrawlBox and it didn't work. It's got 0 duration on it and such. I've been messing with it and I can't get it to work. Do you know what I did wrong or how to fix it?
I... actually would like to know more on this as well... :confused:

I import a wav file to Brawlbox and the only thing that is successful is the file's title. the track's duration is non-existent and when I fiddle around with the loop points, all it does is beep.

AlfaStryke

Smash Apprentice
I... actually would like to know more on this as well... :confused:

I import a wav file to Brawlbox and the only thing that is successful is the file's title. the track's duration is non-existent and when I fiddle around with the loop points, all it does is beep.
Yes I am getting that same issue, plz help

Edit: Fixed, there's an updated version as of May 6th that solves this problem is v0.68b. I hope this helps

AlfaStryke

Smash Apprentice
No problem, now i figured out how to put a song in Project M, but I dont know how to import it on SSBB using a clean SD Card, can anyone help with that

Fan4chu

Smash Cadet
I need some help, i don't know what to do, i got a perfect looping song and made it into a brstm like it says and I put the file in the right place but when I load Gecko it says no SD cheats found, other cheat things work perfectly fine like unlimited replay time and stage builder work but when I try loading this it always comes up the same no SD cheats found...am i the only one with this problem? Do i have to start over or something?

Edit: nvm i had to put a cheat code thing for it to work...a heads up would be nice! xD brawlbox is doing that with me too 0 sec beep thing song of nothingness ya, but it worked with this one song...a link for the updated brawlbox, anyone have?

210stuna

Smash Lord
Is this tutorial good for changing music file names?

I already have a bunch of pre-made BRSTMs on my SD card, but none of the names appear in game, just the originals.

I was going to use this thread's tutorial http://smashboards.com/threads/step...c-titles-using-brawlbox-updated.255990/page-1

But more then half the comments are people saying "I did everything right, why is it freezing?" and only a few are commenting back saying they fixed it.

Can I get some help?

zwataketa

Smash Rookie
hey, I made a custom brstm with the Alien Soldier Final Boss theme, but I added the app folder and all to my sd card, and renamed the brstm to the right value, but it didn't go over the Space Armada theme (i renamed it to G10). Do I have to have a hacked wii for it to work? I hope not, because I already have a hacked wii that can't play discs anymore, which is why my family has ANOTHER wii that isn't hacked.

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
You're not just playing Super Smash Bros Brawl normally are you?

If so, think logically, how does the Wii know to somehow replace something with a file on your SD card?

You need Riivolution, at least.

Make sure that the BRSTM is in the following location

SD:\private\wii\apps\RSB*\pf\sound\strm

The * will be either one of the following:
E if it's North American
P if it's PAL (Europe/Australia, etc)
J if it's Japanese
K if it's Korean

E.g. if you're American it'll go in SD:\private\wii\apps\RSBE\pf\sound\strm
Or if you're European, replace RSBE with RSBP, and RSBJ for Japan etc.

zwataketa

Smash Rookie
well, bugger. I don't want to hack my new wii, and my hacked wii can't play discs (hardware issue). well, maybe I can just make brstms for others to use?

also, I already did all the steps, which is why I was asking.

Deckete

Smash Cadet
I have a problem. There is a song I put, when she finishes playing quickly if repeats. Until then fine. The problem is that I put others songs and she are not inciando fast when finish as the first music. Passes nearly a minute to restart. Someone could help me if know something?

Zilby

Smash Cadet
Great guide! Couldn't get the equalizer to work, but the normalize & amplify effects worked like a charm.

Cryo Blades

Smash Rookie
NNID
CryoBlades
I have an issue. I successfully made the file, and put it in my copy of Brawl (Modded with Project M) and for some reason, during the playing of it on the stage, it just turns into crackles, even when I checked it in both previous applications like stated. Think you can help?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Can someone do something about the broken image? It's erking me to no end.

Twili

The Queen
Premium
NNID
dearlyxbeloved
3DS FC
3368-2389-1288
Switch FC
3149 6967 1296
I have to agree.. that broken image. I want to know, more or less, exactly how I should equalize my files.

ManaLynx

Smash Rookie
NNID
HikaruLynx
3DS FC
2164-6427-3194
Hey I got a question if I'm posting this in the right area. I got everything downpack. The songs work great and everything. The only problem I have is that its not looping where the starting loop is at. It plays the whole song from the beginning of the the wav to the ending loop before it starts looping to the start loop. Is there a way I can make the song start where I want it to start? And I'm sorry in advance if I explained it too confusing, but its the best I can do!^^;

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
Hey do you think you will ever update this guide with pictures that are hosted by somthing other than image shack? the links with imageshack DO NOT WORK! all of them link to a video ad on thier site and you cannot see anything. Just wondering.

Last edited:

Astrodelta

Smash Cadet
@ darksamus77 darksamus77 can ya jus tell me plz what is the best playback volume and gain? leik my music is either to soft or loud and has scratchy echo throughout the songs. i jus need this help plz hope it aint to much trouble. thanks for ya time sempai.

Last edited:

Kingslayer77

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tenshi.zero
So would you recommend this over simply using BRSTM converter? This seems so much more complicated...But I heard that WAV files are better for converting into BRSTMs, so I want to know. Currently, I am using youtube to mp3 converter to convert youtube videos into mp3, and then converting the mp3 files into BRSTMs with the BRSTM converter. However, i've noticed that the BRSTM converter will not work with some mp3 files, though it's impossible for me to tell which ones it works with. I literally have to try every version of the song and see if it works. Will this process allow me to get rid of this problem?

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
So would you recommend this over simply using BRSTM converter? This seems so much more complicated...But I heard that WAV files are better for converting into BRSTMs, so I want to know. Currently, I am using youtube to mp3 converter to convert youtube videos into mp3, and then converting the mp3 files into BRSTMs with the BRSTM converter. However, i've noticed that the BRSTM converter will not work with some mp3 files, though it's impossible for me to tell which ones it works with. I literally have to try every version of the song and see if it works. Will this process allow me to get rid of this problem?
Both yes and no. Yes in that the songs you are downloading with YouTube to mp3 will most likely be able to be converted into WAV and then into BRSTM no problem, but some songs just don't work for whatever reason. Also, this method is for making very high quality BRSTMs, but its an unnecessary amount of work to do if you just want a couple of songs in. I mean, you can loop and increase the volume of the song in BRSTM converter, so there real is no real reason to do this other than the WAV to BRSTM

Kingslayer77

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tenshi.zero
Both yes and no. Yes in that the songs you are downloading with YouTube to mp3 will most likely be able to be converted into WAV and then into BRSTM no problem, but some songs just don't work for whatever reason. Also, this method is for making very high quality BRSTMs, but its an unnecessary amount of work to do if you just want a couple of songs in. I mean, you can loop and increase the volume of the song in BRSTM converter, so there real is no real reason to do this other than the WAV to BRSTM
So using the BRSTM converter would make the song lower quality than this method?( I plan on replacing most of the music). Also, how do you loop the music so that there is not a weird pause, or so that it sounds out of place? I want a seamless, or at least as close as I can get to that, transformation.

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
So using the BRSTM converter would make the song lower quality than this method?( I plan on replacing most of the music). Also, how do you loop the music so that there is not a weird pause, or so that it sounds out of place? I want a seamless, or at least as close as I can get to that, transformation.
I mean the quality (at least in my opinion) doesn't degrade nearly as much as you might think. It is 10x easier to use just BRSTM converter and what you lose in quality is is pretty much nonexistent. I tried converting the same song through both methods and they sounded 99% the time. As for looping, its pretty much just trial and error. You can use goldwire to make it more seamless, but I wouldn't know how to use it since I only the converter. I am able to get almost seamless loops. I made a whole music pack of persona songs using just BRSTM converter and pretty much all the songs came out great. Looping is just something you have to pick up as you start converting the songs honestly. not every song can loop, so its important to distinguish songs like that as well.

Kingslayer77

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tenshi.zero
I mean the quality (at least in my opinion) doesn't degrade nearly as much as you might think. It is 10x easier to use just BRSTM converter and what you lose in quality is is pretty much nonexistent. I tried converting the same song through both methods and they sounded 99% the time. As for looping, its pretty much just trial and error. You can use goldwire to make it more seamless, but I wouldn't know how to use it since I only the converter. I am able to get almost seamless loops. I made a whole music pack of persona songs using just BRSTM converter and pretty much all the songs came out great. Looping is just something you have to pick up as you start converting the songs honestly. not every song can loop, so its important to distinguish songs like that as well.
Thanks for the reply. I'll just stick with BRSTM converter then. I just don't understand why only some mp3 files will be converted, whereas some won't. Also, I have a few questions. How do you loop songs converted through BRSTM converter so that there isn't a long pause in between starting points? And how do you know which songs can be looped? Sorry, i'm new to all this.

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
Thanks for the reply. I'll just stick with BRSTM converter then. I just don't understand why only some mp3 files will be converted, whereas some won't. Also, I have a few questions. How do you loop songs converted through BRSTM converter so that there isn't a long pause in between starting points? And how do you know which songs can be looped? Sorry, i'm new to all this.
Well to be honest, the only way to cut out the long beginning in some songs is actually use Audacity to cut out the silence manually. As for knowing which songs cannot be looped, try listening to this Mega Man X Song and try to hear how some parts clearly repeat and can be looped easily. Now, try listening to this song from Cytus and see how there is very few times where parts of the song can seem like they can be repeated. In this song, it is much better to just have the entire song just start over, because the chorus isn't the main part of the song and can make the song seem short and stale. Obviously, no one can be expected to learn what I just tried to teach you just by reading what I wrote. this is all comes with practice.

Last edited:

Kingslayer77

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tenshi.zero
Well to be honest, the only way to cut out the long beginning in some songs is actually use Audacity to cut out the silence manually. As for knowing which songs cannot be looped, try listening to this Mega Man X Song and try to hear how some parts clearly repeat and can be looped easily. Now, try listening to this song from Cytus and see how there is very few times where parts of the song can seem like they can be repeated. In this song, it is much better to just have the entire song just start over, because the chorus isn't the main part of the song and can make the song seem short and stale. Obviously, no one can be expected to learn what I just tried to teach you just by reading what I wrote. this is all comes with practice.
Mhm. That clarified a lot, thanks. Would it help to listen to other people's loops on youtube to get a feel for it before I do it myself? And how do you actually loop the song? Is it automatically looped in BRSTM converter, or do I have to do it on my own somehow? If I do, am I supposed to loop it while it is still an mp3 file before converting it to BRSTM? Or after? One last thing: This "audacity" you mention is a program? Could it get rid of pieces of a song so that they loop better, regardless or where the piece is in the song? For example, a long pause in the beginning or end of a song.

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
Mhm. That clarified a lot, thanks. Would it help to listen to other people's loops on youtube to get a feel for it before I do it myself? And how do you actually loop the song? Is it automatically looped in BRSTM converter, or do I have to do it on my own somehow? If I do, am I supposed to loop it while it is still an mp3 file before converting it to BRSTM? Or after? One last thing: This "audacity" you mention is a program? Could it get rid of pieces of a song so that they loop better, regardless or where the piece is in the song? For example, a long pause in the beginning or end of a song.
http://imgur.com/a/kzqsN

As for audacity, yes it is a program you can use to cut out silence from a song wherever it is. Its relatively easy to use, but be careful and try not to mess with the settings when you open a song with audacity. you might end up messing up the song. Again, looping perfectly is nearly impossible, but you will get better with practice. listening to certain songs and how certain people loop them can help as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom