• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Make BRSTM's from scratch - An Easy Tutorial

Tesh

Smash Hero
Does it matter if I actually equalize it the way you say? I made some tracks without it, and it sounds fine in game for me.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Does it matter if I actually equalize it the way you say? I made some tracks without it, and it sounds fine in game for me.
They're guidelines, not certainties. How much you equalize truly depends on how loud the sound is and personal judgment. Say, if you don't mind a little clipping, you'd equalize slightly more than if you wanted none. With enough experience, you'll know how much to equalize. I'll eventually post a Youtube tutorial on making BRSTM's, it'll be more in-depth and maybe better

Kiyobi

Smash Rookie
This tutorial was pretty good, but your suggested equalization made my BRSTMs really, really loud. xx;
Other than that, this got me to making some pretty sweet BRSTMs! Thanks much!

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
This guide is very well explained. My first try at creating a brainstorm file (brstm in short) was a bit cracky in the sounds, because I was trying to convert a YTPMV into this format :laugh:

But apart of that, creating these files = piece of cake.

EDIT : I got a little problem, when trying to get my 5th brstm file done... I'm exporting the .WAV file into BrawlBox. Then, I put the point where the soundtrack has to loop. Until now, nothing bad happens... But when I convert the WAV file to BRSTM, then listening it again in BrawlBox, it has a cracky music. I tried to reconvert over and over the WAV file, but it keep having that cracky music. What should I do ?

Super Slash

Smash Rookie
Great guide! Thanks for it! I have a couple questions, though:

I don't understand step 5. What's the difference between it and step 11? I don't get what you mean by "look for points that look similar in Audacity".

And what do you mean in step 6, exactly? If someone else can help me with these, that'd be cool as well.

Nintenden

Smash Cadet
Thanks a whole bunch! I perfected one of the songs that you made for me! I can do this stuff too! However, I used Adobe Audition 3, a much better (and harder) program. Writing a tutorial for it.

To Super Slash: Step 5 wants you to find two points in the song that when played, they loop perfectly. Step 6 wants you to write those two points down when you're fooling around with BrawlBox. Step 11 wants you to go in BrawlBox and find those points there, press on the little star beside the "Start" number and there's your loop!

Nintenden

Smash Cadet
What is a synonym for Equalize? My program doesn't have said feature. (Although, I'd just Amplify and Normalize repeatedly)

FLSHK

Smash Cadet
I found the time when it's supposed to loop, but I can't figure out how to input that spot into BrawlBox. Is there a specific version of BrawlBox that should be used for this?

Edit: nvm, I figured out what my problem was

JudgmentGSM

Smash Cadet
Hey awesome tutorial!

Before I even read this though, I've been making BRSTM's in the same way, except I use Goldwave >.< but I find a problem...

no matter how loud i crank up the song volume when in edit mode with gold wave when it's in-game it still seems soft! I hate it cuz you can barely hear it...any tips guys?

-Advent

Sails

Smash Ace
I just thought I would clarify that as a command line user until now, BrawlBox does in fact adjust the sample count to be a correct multiple while adding the proper amount of silent padding to the beginning of the file in the process. This has saved me plenty of time not having to use a calculator for math each song I make.

camzy

Smash Journeyman
Hey awesome tutorial!

Before I even read this though, I've been making BRSTM's in the same way, except I use Goldwave >.< but I find a problem...

no matter how loud i crank up the song volume when in edit mode with gold wave when it's in-game it still seems soft! I hate it cuz you can barely hear it...any tips guys?

-Advent
Increase the music volume over sound effects. Go into settings or something.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I have a problem. I made my own brstm file. And put it on my wii. I made three of them. The songs stop in the middle of it and then play something else. Even songs that are from another stage. Is there some reason for this?

JoeGrandma

Smash Journeyman
It's not like you did anything wrong or something, it just happens on rare occasions.

To fix it, you'll have to reformat. If you don't know how, here's a tutorial.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I was about to try that. When I did, it says it would delete everything on the SD card. So I stopped.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I think I know what the problem is. defragmenting the SD does not work. I have a 1 gb SD card. And only have like 3 % space on it.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Yes, Dark.Pch, if there's not enough empty space on the SD Card, then the songs won't play correctly...forgot about that little detail

liberatedliberator

Smash Rookie
I needed to ask, but when I'm converting a file to .wav do I still need to change it to 32000 hz as well?

I really don't know anything about all this audio business. I'm also not sure when I should or should not Equalize a song.

What's the difference between Equalization and Amplifying, in simple terms?

I made a brstm of a song and during game play the sound effects of the game were really muffled. I'm assuming this is because the song was too loud. Is that when I shouldn't equalize a song?

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Amplifying puts the song at its highest volume without clipping. Equalization allows you to go a little further, making it a bit louder than max, and sometime you can make 'em a bit louder without clipping the song. The greatest challenge is how much. I will make a Youtube tutorial at some point, just have patience...

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
hi there. I just made a bunch of BRSTM's using your awesome guide but have a quick question...
Majority of my songs are a bit too quiet and I was wondering how I could make it louder.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
If you use Audacity, I think you can try to amplify the song a bit (1.5 and allow clipping should do it). This is the first option in "Effect" ;)

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Thanks Flame Hyenard. Yeah, Amplifying or Equalizing ought to do the trick to make songs louder...if you need more help than that, PM me, Shu-Shu

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Double post, updated the OP with pics, thanks to SoniKupo's help (sorry for not remembering your new username, I'll always remember you as SoniKupo) Hope this will help even more! With visual aid now! And I may do a video tutorial...but that will have to wait for now

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I read the whole guide and all, but something seems to be missing...

I've read some statements that BRSTMs will behave erratically in-game if their Sample Rates are higher than 32000 Hz; Ex.: 41000 Hz and 48000 Hz. For those who don't know, all of Brawl's BRSTMs use 32000 Hz Sample Rates.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
For some odd reason, my songs, when opened in brawlbox, have sample lengths of 36 samples.

Can you help?

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I read the whole guide and all, but something seems to be missing...

I've read some statements that BRSTMs will behave erratically in-game if their Sample Rates are higher than 32000 Hz; Ex.: 41000 Hz and 48000 Hz. For those who don't know, all of Brawl's BRSTMs use 32000 Hz Sample Rates.
Well, I've never had that problem with any I've made. I've made ones at 41000 and 48000 HZ and they're perfectly fine in-game...

Dark Horse, you might be using a bad version of Audacity. Redownload Audacity using the latest stable version (1.2.6, I believe) and re-export your .wav file. Also, make sure you have the latest Brawlbox. Those two steps should fix any problems you're having with sample rates.

Stockfield, you're welcome. I put this guide up for the benefit of all of you guys

Top Bottom