• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's Guaranteed Grab Releases

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
So I managed to test some of these with my friend(Who grew bored before I got to Luigi, figures) and from what I see, the following are true:

Mario:
Air Release -> Fair if offstage

Ivysaur:
Air Release -> Usmash
Air Release -> Fair

---------
Luigi:
Air Release -> Perfectly spaced Fair (?)

Now, my friend doesn't play Smash AT ALL, so it's possible he made an error, but it's highly unlikely as my instructions were REALLY clear.:ohwell:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
So, Ike might have grab releases or chaingrab on all of PT's pokemon?

Wow.

EDIT: I *think* you can do a running grab on charizard and regrab him. But, what I don't know is if he can jab out of it. His jab is fairly fast. Then again, if he did that, he could be regrabbed without having to move. So what really matters, is how fast his dtilt is, and I believe it's not fast enough.

And now, I shall attempt to test grab releases on Jigglypuff and Kirby, using my foot to control the other controller. I have experimented with chaingrabs before (thats how I knew about Charizard ducking under the grab), and there were a few other people that were close that I would need someone to test. Both Wolf and Sheik can sometimes be regrabbed without moving. Wolf if he's leaning forward, Sheik if she doesn't break back quite as far (about 1/25 times). What I need someone to test, is if:

A) If they are close enough for a walking regrab/tap control stick and then grab button for the longer ranged running grab

B) If they can attack to stop it.

As well, Lucario and Toon Link were both within pixels of a standing regrab. Ike's hand goes through Lucario's and Ike almost pokes Toon Link in the eye. If someone can test those ones as well, that would be good.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Light, I love you btw.

EDIT: Btw, I'm not seeing the air release to Up-Smash on Ivysaur. Ike's Up-Smash is too laggy.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Okay, I has info! Remember, this is with me testing on my own. There is only so much I can do. I need some other people to test them before they are fact.

Jigglypuff: Air release -> Aether with perfect timing. And I mean PERFECT, probably down to the frame. Forgot to test regrab and AAA.

Kirby: Ground release -> Running regrab. Ground release -> AAA.

Meta Knight: Ground release -> AAA, maybe regrab but he might be able to attack fast enough to stop it.

Wolf: Ledge non-attacking release -> Walk off Fair. Ledge attacking release -> Possible Dtilt, but not guaranteed. Gets back up too quickly for Dair. If you time Dtilt right and he jumps instinctively, he has a good chance of being Dtilted. May be able to force him to fall down a bit then try Fire Wolf to avoid dtilt, which could be edgehogged? Needs testing. Ground Release -> Running Regrab/Regrab, depending what position he's in.

I need to eat, thats all I have for now. I'll test stuff with Sheik later.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The ground release -> AAA does not work on Kirby. He can powershield it before the jab meets. Same goes for Mario as well.

Jigglypuff can't get jabbed or regrabbed since she slides too far to get hit/grabbed.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Light, I love you btw.

EDIT: Btw, I'm not seeing the air release to Up-Smash on Ivysaur. Ike's Up-Smash is too laggy.
Your love is much appreciated. I'll put another ? next to the Ivysaur Up Smash then.

Okay, I has info! Remember, this is with me testing on my own. There is only so much I can do. I need some other people to test them before they are fact.

Jigglypuff: Air release -> Aether with perfect timing. And I mean PERFECT, probably down to the frame. Forgot to test regrab and AAA.
This works if you buffer the Aether I believe. Grab while holding up. then mash B like crazy, this does around 11% and sets up for a nice followup.

Kirby: Ground release -> Running regrab. Ground release -> AAA.
AAA doesn't seem to work.

Meta Knight: Ground release -> AAA, maybe regrab but he might be able to attack fast enough to stop it.
Jab doesn't work. I can't test regrab alone.

Wolf: Ledge non-attacking release -> Walk off Fair. Ledge attacking release -> Possible Dtilt, but not guaranteed. Gets back up too quickly for Dair. If you time Dtilt right and he jumps instinctively, he has a good chance of being Dtilted. May be able to force him to fall down a bit then try Fire Wolf to avoid dtilt, which could be edgehogged? Needs testing. Ground Release -> Running Regrab/Regrab, depending what position he's in.
The Regrab seems kind of situational, but I'll put it all up up.

I need to eat, thats all I have for now. I'll test stuff with Sheik later.
I'll also put the Sheik regrab up.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Are we sure Ike can do all this stuff? xD I just happened to notice this thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5663679#post5663679

It seems a lot of people can even break further away than normal... >.> So Ike's chaingrab thing on Squirtle probably doesn't work.
Squirtle's CG works in a very interesting manner. Basically Squirtle follows a set air break path that can't be diverted until he touches the ground. And when he does, boom, Ike grabs him.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
And the Wario infinite still works. I tried it a few times and Wario practically can't move whatsoever. (It's so satisfying)

It can probably only be used for ground releases, not air releases.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I tried out Diddy Kong and Dedede offstage, but I need some secondary testing before I place it without a question mark.

King Dedede
Ledge Ground Release to Dtilt
Ledge Ground Release to Walkoff Dair

Diddy Kong
Offstage Air Release to Fair

MysticKenji

Smash Master
Not that is too related to Ike but...

DK has frame advantage on Ground Release...when he's the one grabbed O_o

And I'll try out the Diddy and DDD ones for confirmation.

EDIT: Fair, QD and Dash attack all seem to work from an air release on Diddy.

EDIT2: Dtilt doesn't work on DDD

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Yes it does. We are actually improving Ike's metagame as we speak. How often can you say that you are actually doing that, and not theorycrafting around here? Serious. Sticky please.

*shot*

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
It's amazing just how much guaranteed combos put Ike up. Now if only Ike had a grab release->ftilt combo on someone, that matchup would immediately go to 70:30 Ike.
Wishful thinking

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Not that is too related to Ike but...

DK has frame advantage on Ground Release...when he's the one grabbed O_o

And I'll try out the Diddy and DDD ones for confirmation.

EDIT: Fair, QD and Dash attack all seem to work from an air release on Diddy.

EDIT2: Dtilt doesn't work on DDD
Thanks for the confirmation. Does Dair work on DDD?

This thread NEEDS TO BE STICKIED!!!!!
Just PM a forum moderator I guess.

Yes it does. We are actually improving Ike's metagame as we speak. How often can you say that you are actually doing that, and not theorycrafting around here? Serious. Sticky please.

*shot*
I guess nobody can ***** now about Ike's metagame being at a standstill, like they always do. Oh, who am I kidding, they still will.

It's amazing just how much guaranteed combos put Ike up. Now if only Ike had a grab release->ftilt combo on someone, that matchup would immediately go to 70:30 Ike.
Wishful thinking
Why don't you test out the Wario one? It might be true!

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Hey, I found some more stuff.

Almost every character is within dash grab range. However, some of them are at max range, and I believe they could get out of it. Any I list with a dash re-grab/moving re-grab means I feel they are close enough to be grabbed without getting hit.

Remember, this is just me testing, I have nobody to test this against except what the computer does. These all can only have up to a (?) until someone tests them.

Fox: Moving Re-Grab. Ledge air release walk-off Fair. Ledge ground release can bait a Dtilt, in the same way Wolf's can. It's not guaranteed, but it's likely based on human instinct to instantly jump after falling that sharply downwards, hence the term Dtilt Bait.

Falco: Moving Re-Grab. Ledge air release walk-off Fair. Dtilt Bait.

Lucario: Moving Re-Grab.

ROB: Moving Re-Grab, possible Dtilt Bait.

Sheik: Moving Re-Grab was a bust. Just too far away for her not to get out of it. Ledge Air Release walk off Fair. Ledge Air Release walk off Nair AKA suicide. I guess if you wanted a flashy finish and you were ahead one stock, this can lead to an aethercide if done just right. >_>

Samus: Moving Re-Grab.

I also found that with some characters, like Zelda and Samus, a ledge grounded release can force the under FD's stage dip. As well, the spacies are all in Utilt range after either grab release on the stage, but I think they could probably get out of the way in time.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
I don’t think this thread needs to be sticky’ed, it will stay in the front page for s long as we need it. Besides, it is already indexed in the Ashunera’s library so we can always check it again when it dies down (hopefully not soon).

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I'm still in love with that chain grab on squirtle thing I really hope I fight one at the next tournament I go to.
I loved that part too, Ike's first official CG. Feels good.

If these moving regrabs turn out to be any good, he'll have more CGs, but for now it's just at 1.

I don’t think this thread needs to be sticky’ed, it will stay in the front page for s long as we need it. Besides, it is already indexed in the Ashunera’s library so we can always check it again when it dies down (hopefully not soon).
Sticky, non-sticky, this'll probably remain up high for a while. You can't ignore this many grab releases :laugh:. Many thanks to AB for putting it into Ashunera's library.

Gabz

Smash Apprentice
I'm still in love with that chain grab on squirtle thing I really hope I fight one at the next tournament I go to.
If im not mistaken youre talking about an ike"s chain grab on squirtle?. How"s that?

(I read the guide but dont know if im mistaken)

•Col•

Smash Champion
If im not mistaken youre talking about an ike"s chain grab on squirtle?. How"s that?

>_> You just grab release him......

Basically, hold down the shield button(Default: L/R trigger), then press the attack button (Default: A button) to grab, then just keep mashing the attack button while holding the shield button the entire time... xD Should look something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ-AKKso_Po&feature=related

Edit: Read my next post.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion

The guide says "Air Release to Regrab", basically that means that you grab Squirtle, damage him, then wait for him to break out by doing a jump break since he's so short. Then you just run and regrab him and proceed until the edge of the stage where you should probably offstage release to Fair him, if that's possible.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Think with squirtle Ike can do a pivot grab?

If that's possible, it can turn the chaingrab into an infinite.

I'm too lazy to try it since I just turned off my Wii and going to bed.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Think with squirtle Ike can do a pivot grab?

If that's possible, it can turn the chaingrab into an infinite.
Better add that as an option with a question mark. Honestly, I find it funny that Ike now has super awesome options against the three well known airgamers (Wario, Jigglypuff, Squirtle). Oh well, I'm not one to complain about free Up Smashes, free Aethers or free regrabs.

Gabz

Smash Apprentice
0.0. Thats pretty cool thnks. But does that only work for squirtle or other short characters too?

•Col•

Smash Champion
The guide says "Air Release to Regrab", basically that means that you grab Squirtle, damage him, then wait for him to break out by doing a jump break since he's so short. Then you just run and regrab him and proceed until the edge of the stage where you should probably offstage release to Fair him, if that's possible.
Woops, wasn't paying attention. Didn't notice the "Air release"... I didn't go back to see what it was.... xD

My bad.

It's actually like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nngWNYPT320&feature=related (Cept the Marth was wrong in the vid, MK can actually escape the areal release chaingrab. It's the same idea though... xD)

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Squirtle because apparently sakurai considered it to be broken for him to have the ability to move trough the air.

Don't add pivot grab that probably won't work what you should add is Pivot boost grab as that one slides its probably faster than Ike running so I'm pretty positive it works. *begins testing*

Gabz

Smash Apprentice
I tried that but im having some troubles doing that. After i finish tje girst grab do i have to run a little?(its more difficult than i thought). And in the second vid that mk does have the chance to escape and thats only with mk if im not mistaken.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I tried that but im having some troubles doing that. After i finish tje girst grab do i have to run a little?(its more difficult than i thought)
Did you read my second post? I didn't go back to the first page to notice the "Air release" part. I just assumed the wrong thing from everyone that was talking about it on the 3rd-4th page... xD

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
yah coloya was just being a noob don't listen to him.

Anyways that pivot grab thing doesn't work. Well the pivot boost doesn't I can't imagine the normal one working.

Gabz

Smash Apprentice
Did you read my second post? I didn't go back to the first page to notice the "Air release" part. I just assumed the wrong thing from everyone that was talking about it on the 3rd-4th page... xD
Then im a little confused xD(again). How are you supposed to do it?

Lol at Arturito Burrito

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
squirtle's release grab shenanigans are so gay lol. first marth, then yoshi, now ike.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
It combos into a shutter smash to so cower in fear steeler!!! If you go to whobo you better be ready.

edit: It doesn't really combo into shutter smash don't go trying that and blaming me for loosing your chance.

gabz all you have to do is dash as soon as squirtle gets free and grab. Sliding shield grabs works as well if you find it easier to dash press shield then A.

this actually does combo into shutter smash on PS2 ice version so wonder if that makes it a counter pick for PT

Gabz

Smash Apprentice
yah coloya was just being a noob don't listen to him.

Anyways that pivot grab thing doesn't work. Well the pivot boost doesn't I can't imagine the normal one working.
It combos into a shutter smash to so cower in fear steeler!!! If you go to whobo you better be ready.

edit: It doesn't really combo into shutter smash don't go trying that and blaming me for loosing your chance.

gabz all you have to do is dash as soon as squirtle gets free and grab. Sliding shield grabs works as well if you find it easier to dash press shield then A.

this actually does combo into shutter smash on PS2 ice version so wonder if that makes it a counter pick for PT
Is it the same as the other grab?

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
It doesn't work scrubs I was keeping it on the jk.

Gebz is what the same as the other grab? the shielding shield one? that actually has more range so it would be better.

Top Bottom