• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's Guaranteed Grab Releases

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I think it's rather heart-warming and inspiriting. It's like watching you and your siblings tear after Christmas presents and everyone is together and happy, except these Ikes are just looking for a new way to slash everyone else in half.

metroid1117

Smash Master
You may want to define some terms to make this list clearer. For example, what is a "moving regrab?" Is is just a dash grab? Also, when you say "Offstage Air Release to Fair," do you mean full-hop FAir, short-hop FAir, or walk-off FAir?

Good list, I would look into this if I had someone to test the stuff with :ohwell:.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I just had a thought of something I want to test. I doubt it would work, but........there is the ever so small possibility that grab releasing the right characters (who end up moving upwards high enough) could be Star KO on the fin of Corelia.....I'll test this after lunch. If it works, I'm going to die of laughter.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I just had a thought of something I want to test. I doubt it would work, but........there is the ever so small possibility that grab releasing the right characters (who end up moving upwards high enough) could be Star KO on the fin of Corelia.....I'll test this after lunch. If it works, I'm going to die of laughter.
It doesn't work. Not at least against Squirtle.

Also, just want to note, I think it's possible for Squirtle to get out of the chaingrab whenever you're trying to do it on a steep slope, like the fin on Corneria.

Funny thing though... If you grab realese Squirtly on the back wall on the fin, you can hit him with an utilt after... xD

The only way Squirtle could get out is if he wall jumps/clings... But that's hard for me to test by myself... D:

EDIT: So basically, if you can get him in fthrow infinite against the wall, you can then grab release him into a guaranteed utilt... xD

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I can't really see how ground release -> regrab works.
:/
Basically, it's a pummel until they break out, then you dashgrab them. From the only one I extensively tested, it works well enough on Ganon.

You may want to define some terms to make this list clearer. For example, what is a "moving regrab?" Is is just a dash grab? Also, when you say "Offstage Air Release to Fair," do you mean full-hop FAir, short-hop FAir, or walk-off FAir?

Good list, I would look into this if I had someone to test the stuff with :ohwell:.
Yeah, I should go ahead and redefine those.

Doesn't work, even with Jigglypuff.
Ike for top tire!

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ya, it was close on the fin, but not quite. >_< Worth a shot.

More info, like always, they can only have a (?) until someone else tests them with another human for me.

Pikachu: Dtilt Bait

Ganondorf: Ledge Ground Release -> Walk off Dair Bait. What I mean by that is that there is a good chance it will hit, but it's still dodgeable. However, the time frame to dodge from what I can test, is extremely small. As well, Ledge Air Release walkoff Fair is there.

Diddy: Dtilt Bait

G&W: Dtilt Bait.

BTW, unless you changed from when I last check, you forgot to add the air release walkoff Fair to Fox.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
^ a lot of people ask that question.

That grab release to KO thing won't work unless maybe your like in rumble falls all the way at the top because it doesn't increase with damage or anything like that. It's set knock back other wise the chain grabs or follow ups would never be guaranteed.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
But...can't they spotdodge (buffered if necessary)?
Ike only has a 2 frame advantage on those characters :/
I think they may be able to spotdodge in time, but I don't want to speak absolutes yet. All I can say for sure is that it's a possibility, and I'm just waiting for it to be disproven without a doubt.

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman
Though technically, couldn't you anticipate the spotdodge and perform a pivot grab? Or does it come out too early?

Alternatively, also from a predicted spotdodge, you could probably grab release fsmash, but that's only out of their spotdode, so it's a massive risk in the first place...

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Business is quite slow, I must say.

And by business I mean FABULOUS metagame advances.

I should use that sort of font more often.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Not as kool as this text scrub!!

Things are slow because you know I didn't drink a redbull today. Tomorrow I'll living things up by posting pictures of me in butt less chaps.

Just so you know everyone can air break if they are trying to get out of a grab which most people in tournaments will. This is pretty much instinct on pros by now so you could say pumle once and let them air break for w/e follow up is possible on everyone.

Basically what I'm saying is that I think all those air break platform follow ups are possible on everyone.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
highlight my post nooblight I gave you like 30 more possibilities.
Haha, very well. I shall quote it in normal text it for people to see, though sadly you did not deliver on those pictures. Also: "nooblight" :laugh:

Not as kool as this text scrub!!

Things are slow because you know I didn't drink a redbull today. Tomorrow I'll living things up by posting pictures of me in butt less chaps.

Just so you know everyone can air break if they are trying to get out of a grab which most people in tournaments will. This is pretty much instinct on pros by now so you could say pumle once and let them air break for w/e follow up is possible on everyone.

Basically what I'm saying is that I think all those air break platform follow ups are possible on everyone.
They might catch on after once or twice and auto ground break, but it still opens up several possibilities.

We saw it. >_>

I think we're just taking a break from Grab releasing.
High Treason!

D

Deleted member

if you try to grab release peach, her dtilt will beat all of ike's follow-ups every time except fair. Fair beats her dtilt.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
if you try to grab release peach, her dtilt will beat all of ike's follow-ups every time except fair. Fair beats her dtilt.
Ah, got it. Thanks!

I think:

Kirby- Air Release to Fair
Ness- Air Release to Fair
Olimar- Air Release to Fair/ Up Smash

All work, but I only did one person testing. I'll need to have them confirmed before I remove the question mark. Though I assume it'll get no testing, bah.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Lol. Get people together on WiFi to test things. It'll be much easier that way, and be much more community based... xD

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
nah any wifi testing will be thrown away from anyone who disagrees with it and it will only feed the omg I can't shield Ike on wifi. if you traveled to my house I'd own you.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Yeah, it's much better to test this sort of precision thing offline, as even the best WiFi has a tiny bit of lag. (But if I come to any of your houses, I'm doing it to play Ike dittos, not test out grab releases).

•Col•

Smash Champion
nah any wifi testing will be thrown away from anyone who disagrees with it and it will only feed the omg I can't shield Ike on wifi. if you traveled to my house I'd own you.
Wouldn't it give the same results if you were just holding the shield button the entire time anyway? xD

EDIT: Ugh, just nvm.... xD I'm being stupid right now, cuz I'm tired. I've been sleepy ever since I took a test a few hours ago... xD

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
*face palm* I just realized that all the people who are pretty close to be able to get hit with an up smash might be able to get hit with a reverse hyphen smash.

I don't remember the list but all of those who's ? was disproven might be worth it to test like this.

edit: kinzer stop being a scrub and come to TMS.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
*face palm* I just realized that all the people who are pretty close to be able to get hit with an up smash might be able to get hit with a reverse hyphen smash.

I don't remember the list but all of those who's ? was disproven might be worth it to test like this.
That's a pretty chill idea, AB.

I'll go ahead and try out some of the close to the ground grab releases, such as Squirtle's. Free Up Smashes on a number of characters would be fantastic (Especially Olimar!)

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
What I would like to find, is if any character can be air released -> Fsmash.

*watches that match-up go to 80-20 Ike's favor*

I mean, some characters can't move until VERY close to the ground after all.....I'm sure there is a possibility of some sort of sweet spot in distance away, and when to swing to just beat someone before they hit the ground....

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
What I would like to find, is if any character can be air released -> Fsmash.

*watches that match-up go to 80-20 Ike's favor*

I mean, some characters can't move until VERY close to the ground after all.....I'm sure there is a possibility of some sort of sweet spot in distance away, and when to swing to just beat someone before they hit the ground....
A free Fsmash is an instant win. As AB said, you get a free Stutter Step Fsmash on Squirtle when playing on ice oriented stages, but that is so very situational.

Oh well, test, test and test until something comes up.

Edit: I am laughing right now.
Ike has an air release CG on Ganondorf as well.

Hoser

Smash Ace
Edit: I am laughing right now.
Ike has an air release CG on Ganondorf as well.
I was testing out the ground release to dashgrab today, and I'm not positive if it is a true chain. It may have been human error, but my friend was able to get out of it multiple times. But at the same time, I also would get like 3 or 4 in a row before he did. If it is a true chain, I think you need to be very precise with it.

Also, I'm rather interested as to how the Platform Air Release Sliding Up Smash would work. I'm having trouble picturing what that is O.o

Edit: I seem to be asking this every day, but are custom avatars fixed? I can see mine, as well as Light's.

Top Bottom