• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Of course not. Just two posts ago, I said this:

Impa is more important to the franchise thematically, but Sheik holds the upper hand because of Smash recurrence.
Yet Sheik's appearance in Brawl is mostly a lucky one. Sheik was revealed last of all veterans of Melee, and even had it mentoined she wasn't in Twilight Princess, but got in based of a scrapped model of her. If she wasn't considered at all, she likely wouldn't get in. Besides, even Ness was considered to get cut for Lucas if Mother 64 would've been released in Melee. So not every veteran is safe. Besides, new game mechanics made it possible to have Samus (one of the original eight) get her own gimmick to transform into Zero Suit Samus. So that means even the oldest of veterans can have significant changes. Look at Fox in N64 and since Melee, he's much lighter and faster since N64. Characters DO change, and I feel it's now time for Sheik to go. She's not even all too original with Pokémon Trainer and Zero Suit Samus around. No doubt new faces will also proove better mechanics than Zelda / Sheik. It's heavily unbalanced, and not even worth the effort seeing Sheik has barely any relevance at all.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Yet Sheik's appearance in Brawl is mostly a lucky one.
Rubbish. Transforming is the signature move of the Zelda/Sheik duo. Taking that away would be like only bringing back one Ice Climber. There would have been outrage if they only brought back Zelda with no transformation option.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
But we could still have a solo Zelda with a new Down+B move and a renamed solo Sheik Impa with a new Down+B move.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I doubt there would have been much outrage if Sheik had been brought back as a stand alone from Zelda. Certainly no worse than Mewtwo being cut, probably lower, since they didn't cut a character but a relatively minor mechanic. Could also be plenty of people happy about it, as I know I would be, as I'd rather see both of them stand on their own feet mechanically. While the transformation gimmick may be as noteworthy as Ice Climber's duo, it is used far less often.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Personally, I don't see what's the big deal with replacing Sheik with Impa. I mean if she plays like Sheik but only looks and sounds like Impa I don't see where there is a problem. Since there is a large disliking about it I believe she has a lot to offer as a separate character.

Impa has been featured in three main forms throughout the Zelda universe.
Young Impa from OOT and Skyward Sword

Middle Age Impa from the Oracle Games

Old Impa from Zelda 1, Adventures of Link, and even the CD-I (There are more but they would be consider spoilers)

If you really wanted too you could make a different character for each of these models.

Personally I like the young Impa the best and even though she's very similar to Sheik I believe there are plenty of ninja moves/magic to go around. Since Sheik never used the chain whip or the spike in game I think Impa can have some added moves too. I'm thinking she could a mixture of hand-hand and weapon style fighting (similar to Snake). She could pull out her Kodachi (the weapon on the back of OOT Impa) for smash attacks. I would also love to see her use a Kusarigami in some attacks or specials.

Middle Age Impa would be a bit comical as a big power house woman. She would be strong and heavy similar to DK. She could also have magic to assist her like modified moves from Skyward Sword.

Old Impa which is the most featured would be a mana-cannon character. She would use magic to move around and perform many of her sky attacks. Her frailty is offset by her magic prowess. Now you may say she's too old to fight but there are plenty of old aged characters in fighting games. One example is the fellow ninja Splinter from TMNT Smash Up. Plus, you put your opponent in a guilt trip of beating up an old woman. :bee:

Spire

III
BRoomer
Samus transforming into Zamus via Down+B makes more sense than Zelda transforming into Sheik. It's a character taking off/putting on armor (the armor could just climb up and lock on to her like Iron Man's does in the Marvel movies) versus a character using magic to become [almost] another character.

It's not Zelda and Ninja Suit Zelda. It's Zelda and Sheik. Two identities. Samus and Zero Suit Samus are just heavy and light Samus.

Take that second Zelda identity and transform it into a standalone character (Impa) and allow Samus and Zamus to transform at will. The difference is, people think of Zelda without thinking of Sheik, but most who think of Samus have in mind her armored and unarmored appearances.

Zelda has many alternate forms: Sheik, Tetra, Phantom Zelda, Hylia. Those are all arguably different characters with the same spirit. Samus just changes her armor; she is a much more consistent character and should thus be rewarded transformative abilities.

Zelda is almost a different person in every game. Samus is the same Samus in every game. No reincarnations, no alternate timelines.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Which is also why I think by this point, Zelda is better of as a standalone character.

And I really like those ideas for weapons on Impa Master Rapier!

D

Deleted member

Good.
No moveset potential whatsoever.
Just what, dropping a ball (yawn) and making a barrier, which everyone in Smash can do already.

At best, all you can do is make her a Sheik clone with ball dropping instead of transforming, the only reason you want Sheik gone. :troll: Since Impa is nothing but a pathetic Sheik clone.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh look what the cat brought in. :rolleyes: Go complain about Impa beng a clone once she made the roster katpy?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nope. Cause Sheik fans will have to play Brawl and Melee in the future, much like how youmwill forever have to play Melee just for Dr.Mario. :reverse:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
True, but Brawl has the better cast of characters.

D

Deleted member

Who is leagues above the filth you call "Impa". :troll:
I'd even go to say Pichu is better :smirk:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It isn't ironic, cause you yourself are supporter of most troll-bait characters so far imo. Waluig and Dr.Mario come to mind... :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member

Methinks you have no concept of irony.
It's ok, that's normal.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@Diddy
By shoving Impa down our throats, you have garnered a rather large Impa hatebase, honestly. If you cool down that propaganda machine a bit, we'll be happier.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It isn't ironic, cause you yourself are supporter of most troll-bait characters so far imo. Waluig and Dr.Mario come to mind... :rolleyes:
The difference is he doesn't shove Waluigi and Doc down other people throats like you do for Impa. Heck you bring up his liking of the characters more than he does.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@Diddy
By shoving Impa down our throats, you have garnered a rather large Impa hatebase, honestly. If you cool down that propaganda machine a bit, we'll be happier.
The difference is he doesn't shove Waluigi and Doc down other people throats like you do for Impa. Heck you bring up his liking of the characters more than he does.
Got to agree with both above.

It's not bad to like or hate a character, but shoving down these tastes at all the time is very annoying.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
How about we get back to her involvement in Smash?

We have option for solo character or replacement for Sheik. Though I would rather see a solo character the replacement would be more likely. Though Sheik didn't appear in TP they did have concept art and design of her already made which Sakurai used. Since there isn't any Skyward Sword model it would make sense that Impa would take the place of Sheik. Now whether they give Impa a new move set or just giver he Sheik's is up for debate. Of course this all could be thrown out the window depending on what the new Zelda game would bring.

She could also be an Assist trophy as well. They could even use one of Impa's alter forms to be an AT and then have the ninja-esque be the playable one. Fat-bottom Impa making the world go round to help out younger Impa.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I personally see her as an Assist Trophy.

Her role in Skyward Sword makes her really fit the boot to be one. She DOES have that chance at being playable, I'll admit that. But Tingle has a much larger following and a MUCH larger chance than Impa.
(Though I would really love to see Tetra w/ or w/o Toon Zelda)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
There's nothing wrong with promoting good characters.
No. But it does get annoying when they are SHOVED DOWN YOUR THROAT!!!!

Know what I mean?

Top Bottom