• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Information and Updates from the Brawl Back Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Question:

Why are the BBR only discussing the top 16 characters on the characters boards, when if you look at what people say in the tier list topic, most disagreements come from the bottom half of the tier list? Yes, the top half also needs discussing to see how much the metagame has changed...but the bottom half is always the weakest. Why exclude the half that could use the discussion the most?
There are several reasons.

There is more to discuss when it comes to the top characters. They are the characters that determine tournaments for the most part and there's a lot of data on them, which makes discussion more than just a collection of opinions. The BBR (and the community at large) also simply has more high level representation for the better characters, which is logical if you consider tournament placing is often a factor for admission. As you can see from the Diddy discussion and will be able to see in upcoming discussions, there is a lot of controversy regarding the top 5 other than MK's #1 position, within the room itself at least. Getting part of that discussion underway before the actual voting happens will probably prove useful.

It is likely that we will continue the WCD after we do the tier list and finish up what is left, not to mention the fact we will have to order those characters before that anyway. They will definitely get the attention they deserve, but it is a fact that the low tiers do not play a major role in tournament results, aside from the occasional breakout performance. With only two months left and more than thirty characters to cover, this is the choice we made.

I hope this response was useful to you.

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Pierce7d said:
Match-up Ratings Project (Led by .joel) - This is the newest big project by the BBR. We intend to release a match-up chart created by the BBR. It does take the character boards opinions into account, however it instead is created by votes on each individual match-up, and uses a different, simpler, rating system.
About the Match-up Ratings Project, is it like this?, or is there something that makes it better?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
That chart goes off the character boards. Now, a lot of people like to just discredit character boards, but that's not really a good idea, because more often than not, character boards have AT LEAST a ballpark idea of how a MU goes (unless they are outdated)

However, our discussion uses a new system which uses categories instead of numbers to describe MUs in a meaningful way (because 7:3) doesn't mean the same to everyone, but disadvantage, slight advantage, etc, all have more realistic meanings. Also, we have obviously discussed the match-ups in the backroom, and collected the opinions of all, deciding on the MUs through a vote.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
So when are you going to ban metaknight what are you going to do about Metaknight?
We're going to let everyone complain to the TO's who reserve the right to ban/not ban Meta Knight, as well as allow/ban stages, just as they always have. But seriously, talk might happen in the future, but it's definitely not happening as a focus of discussion right now.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yeah, that thing. We're wrapping up on two or three stages and cleaning up various rules clauses.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Additionally, we're reentering character discussions, partially for the next tier list, and partially just to increase our knowledge so we can make discussions properly. After a while (usually about a week) these discussions are moved into the public boards. Diddy is already done.

Justblaze647

Smash Lord
Running for my life in the forests of Eelong
I think you guys should have a thread in tactical (eventually) that provides links to these new character discussions. Otherwise, this may be overlooked by many because they don't peruse character specific boards.

And maybe post something about this in the OP

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
^This...

Is a very good question.

It is the same D=... "Last edited by Pierce7d; 06-14-2010 at 07:03 PM.."

Though it'll probably still look the same after he edits it? From what I see only the members list needs to be updated.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
However, our discussion uses a new system which uses categories instead of numbers to describe MUs in a meaningful way (because 7:3) doesn't mean the same to everyone, but disadvantage, slight advantage, etc, all have more realistic meanings. Also, we have obviously discussed the match-ups in the backroom, and collected the opinions of all, deciding on the MUs through a vote.
Doesn't the SSB 64 tier list do something similar?

I understand the reason behind using words to describe the matchups, but I think you're still stuck because I don't think it's much better than saying 6:4 unless a lot of people interpret that as "lol, good luck". Besides, it just seems like you're swapping numbers for words. Of course, I'll have to see the matchup list so I can get a better idea as to what you guys are getting at.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Can I get a list of the weekly character's threads that's been posted? I think it's been Diddy, then Zero Suit that I know of.

Edit: Nevermind I think I'm up to date, it's Diddy, Zamus, Falco and then next Pit.

Is there an order established for this weekly character discussion?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Can I get a list of the weekly character's threads that's been posted? I think it's been Diddy, then Zero Suit that I know of.

Edit: Nevermind I think I'm up to date, it's Diddy, Zamus, Falco and then next Pit.

Is there an order established for this weekly character discussion?
Kirby is up as well now. Don't know if there is another character yet. They tend to release two at a time though...

EDIT: It's Snake.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Just wondering, is the BBR invite only or can you apply and get approved?
You can apply on the User CP and/or post an application in the Official BBR New Member Application Thread when it's released if I'm not mistaken. Personally, I think that the latter is better because you can elaborate more.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
This thread is well in need of an update and I will try and focus more attention onto it. I'm considering having it moved into tactical, because tbh, the BR doesn't really deal with GBD, and I spend most of my time in Tactical anyway.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Thanks Mike. If a mod is reading this, can we get this stickied in Tactical, and get Mike the second post?
For the ones reading this and thinking that Pierce is mad, my post has been moved to the first page below the OP, and it will be soon edited.

Limeee

Smash Champion
so theres an update for the tierlist on september 15th?

is it actually gonna be on time? or delayed

i'm asking cuz the new ruleset took a while to come out

:009:

TheMike

Smash Lord
I have writen an update and suggested it to Pierce. Expect this thread to be finally updated in a few days.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Section 4- Schedule

January 15: Tier List Project Manager Selected
January 30: Head Director Vote to Begin
February 10: Head Director Vote Vote to End
March 1: Recommended Ruleset Project Manager Selected
March 15: Tier List Update
Marth 16: New Member Admission threads created
April 15: New Memberw Admitted
June 1: Recommended Ruleset Update
July 15: Tier List Project Manager Selected
September 15: Tier List Update
September 16: New Member Admission threads created
October 15: New Members Admitted

TheMike

Smash Lord
Section 4- Schedule

January 15: Tier List Project Manager Selected
January 30: Head Director Vote to Begin
February 10: Head Director Vote Vote to End
March 1: Recommended Ruleset Project Manager Selected
March 15: Tier List Update
Marth 16: New Member Admission threads created
April 15: New Memberw Admitted
June 1: Recommended Ruleset Update
July 15: Tier List Project Manager Selected
September 15: Tier List Update
September 16: New Member Admission threads created
October 15: New Members Admitted
For the record, the tier list will not be released tomorrow. It will be released around September 20th as said in the BBR Weekly Character Discussions Index thread.

Amirite???
Ehhh, as Pierce agreed with my suggestion, I posted it in the second post because don't know why Pierce didn't update it yet. When he does, I will edit the second post again adding other stuff.

EDIT: I talked to Marc and he edited Pierce's post. The update is finally in the OP!

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Mike, is the admissions thread going to open the day after we get the tier list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom