• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Rizen

Smash Legend
I don't have much to say. Mario Kart 8 looks cool but I might rather spend my money on a game shown at E3. Hype for SSB4, Monolithsoft's X, Zelda Wii U and maybe a new Metroid for 2015.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I got to hang out with Liquid'Ken all weekend at SKTAR 3. He was rooming with us at the Motel 6! It was a super awesome experience and it was cool to become friends with one of my childhood icons.

Also 2.2k posts wooooo

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Lol. I ended up buying MK8. I'm still working on how to time the turbo start.
Edit, I figured it out: 1, 2(Now hold gas!), 3, Go!

Mario Kart 8's graphics are gorgeous! This is what future Nintendo games should look like!

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
This thread needs a jump start.
Edit:
http://e3.nintendo.com/
@ E3 stuff:
The next Zelda looks awesome! ...But we got so little information and it's not launching in 2014 :(. I think it will be an incredibly huge open world game (without toon link or loftwings :grin:) and it's good Nintendo is trying to make the best quality game possible. But still, we can only wait so long!
http://e3.nintendo.com/games/wiiu/the-legend-of-zelda/

I would have preferred a sequel to Twilight Princess but oh well.

Hyrule Warriors might actually be fun. I admit I had a low starting opinion of it but it looks better and better.
http://e3.nintendo.com/games/wiiu/hyrule-warriors/
Zelda's a playable character.

Hype for Midna!

Captain Toad: "Let's take the worst part of Mario 3D World and build an entire game around it!" :facepalm:

Something tells me Yoshi's Wooly World will be very easy :ohwell:

I really like Kirby Canvas Curse for the DS so I might get Kirby and the Rainbow Curse:
http://e3.nintendo.com/games/wiiu/kirby/
I hope they make it as hard as the original. I do like the DS games art style better.

Hype for these games:
http://e3.nintendo.com/games/wiiu/splatoon/
http://e3.nintendo.com/games/wiiu/nihilumbra/
http://e3.nintendo.com/games/wiiu/xenoblade-chronicles-x/
http://e3.nintendo.com/games/wiiu/sonic-boom-wii-u/

And of course SSB4!
http://www.smashbros.com/us/
Miis are no surprise but they look fun. I hope they don't end up being top tier. Paulutena looks cools. A lot of Kid Icarus fans are no doubt posting about her as I type this, lol.

Last edited:

TropicalTaco

Smash Journeyman
Gonna be at the smashfest event in San Fransico tomorrow, I'll be sure to blab as much about Link as I can bros.
If you'd be so kind, please test the following things.

1. Does his Zair function the same way it did in Brawl? (That is to say, does it still retain the benefit of having no landing lag?)

2. Are the Quick Draw arrow shots still a thing?

3. Is DACUS still a thing?

4. Is jumping out of shield still a thing? (This may seem like a silly one to request for testing, but I've somehow become a little paranoid that they'll tamper with this mechanic...)

5. Is shield grabbing still a thing? (See 4.)

6. Is throwing bombs out of shield still a thing?

7. Is f-smashing while holding a bomb still a thing?

8. Is bomb sliding still a thing?

Thanks. <3

Last edited:

TropicalTaco

Smash Journeyman
Forget Smash 4. I'm looking forward to Zelda WiiU and Hyrule Warriors now!

Just kidding, all three are equally hype.
Won't lie, I'm considering purchasing a Wii U just for Hyrule Warriors at this point.

I'm also having like, sort of a delayed shock that it exists, lol. When I first saw the footage of it I was like "whoa, this looks pretty cool," and now, hours later, I'm like "they're actually making this!"

Just seems like kind of a miracle game to me. One those games you'd dream of and fantasize about, but never expect them to actually make.

Last edited:

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I hope Smash 4 doesn't have the campy nature as Grand Finals did (considering that it was a Brawl player vs the Melee player with the best defensive game), but I did like what I see. Hitstun is back and true combos are alive once more!

Christmas couldn't come any sooner! ;)

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
If you'd be so kind, please test the following things.

1. Does his Zair function the same way it did in Brawl? (That is to say, does it still retain the benefit of having no landing lag?)

2. Are the Quick Draw arrow shots still a thing?

3. Is DACUS still a thing?

4. Is jumping out of shield still a thing? (This may seem like a silly one to request for testing, but I've somehow become a little paranoid that they'll tamper with this mechanic...)

5. Is shield grabbing still a thing? (See 4.)

6. Is throwing bombs out of shield still a thing?

7. Is f-smashing while holding a bomb still a thing?

8. Is bomb sliding still a thing?

Thanks. <3
Got it, You can count on me. I'mma try out every little trick Link had in brawl and come back with a list of what still works. If I had to guess, I don't think DACUS or bombslide will work, Quickdraw arrows/BombSmash/ OoS Jump, grab, and bombthrow should work.
Z-air onstage I've no clue for now, but it would be dumb if they changed it. My curiosity is it's onstage length as an attack; we know it's much longer as a tether recovery, but if it's a longer ranged attack our spacing game would be a touch stronger.

I don't think DACUS will work since his Dash attack itself is different. Purely conjecture, but I had always believed DACUS worked for characters that can generate momentum purely from the dash attack *before the cancel window ends* when it's executed. Link's Dash attack sends him forward before the attack lands or must be canceled, and when canceled he retains the starting momentum without the move's stopping point to cutoff the distance it covers. As such Link slides across the ground until the game's native friction property slows him to a halt. Since the move is different, I wonder whether the same will be true for Jump attack or not.
Again, just my personal and unofficial description for why/how, I dunno if that's really the way it works :D :4link:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK8En6dIdAg
Link gameplay at 105:02-110:15.
Link's old final smash is back :/
Kinda hard to read too much into one match (especially when the camera keeps cutting back and forth) but it doesn't really look like Link is collectively all that much better, just from what I can see. Unless there's a combo or some nice ATs we didn't get to see, I'm thinking his ceiling is gonna be bottom of mid tier. At least he has a recovery now (although that was never really his biggest issue).

EDIT: There's a second match with him somewhere in there. Looks like Link can use his zair to hit people still? Kinda hard to tell as the quality isn't the best. Grab looks a little faster too. So does his air speed.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
^...And the player was less than good too, lol. I think Link's jumps are higher and his recovery is definitely better. If Link gets that plus less lag he could end up being viable.
Toon Link isn't any faster than Link but he's a high tier because his mobility. Link only needed tweaks to his stats to not be trash. Things like make jab frame 4, etc.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
As the game designer commented later, "We never said explicitly anywhere in the trailer that that was Link."

Whuuuuh?!

Anyways, Link's arrows are now insta-fired on the ground (knockback looks exactly the same as Brawl's), Link has faster movement speed on the ground but relatively similar air move speed as Brawl (I'd say his recovery being better is arguable).

Also, Midna confirmed for my main in Hyrule Warriors

Only Nintendo-approved nude female character

Last edited:

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I wanna unleash a flock of these on the hordes of enemies in Hyrule Warriors. There needs to be an attack of that style. That'll be overkill but very enjoyable:

Last edited:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I was disappointed not to see a crawfish on the shirt. I saw the blue shirt and relatively orange shaded pants and was like "Wind Waker Link? :3 " then was like... "Oh... nevermind."

But yeah. I'm going to remain neutral about Smash 4. I'll buy it for the 3DS and give it a try but that's as far as I go. Melee players in my community are already ******** about it because it's not Melee 2.0 like they want and "It's going to cause problems for the community" etc. If you guys want, we can all pitch in to buy a **** ton of pop corn and watch the salt fly when the flame wars between the Melee community and Smash 4 players start and just enjoy the show.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
But yeah. I'm going to remain neutral about Smash 4. I'll buy it for the 3DS and give it a try but that's as far as I go. Melee players in my community are already *****ing about it because it's not Melee 2.0 like they want and "It's going to cause problems for the community" etc. If you guys want, we can all pitch in to buy a **** ton of pop corn and watch the salt fly when the flame wars between the Melee community and Smash 4 players start and just enjoy the show.
The Melee elitists? Those guys are so unreasonable it's hilarious - making judgments before the metagame is even born. Just share what Sakurai said to them:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Just got back from Best Buy Smashfest. That was probably the worst smash game I've ever played in my life. If there are any changes that are gonna be made to the game before release, they need to be done soon. That game needs a serious makeover.

Edit: Also, @Captain Zack , Zelda is hella nerfed in Smash 4. She can't double b-air anymore (can't even autocancel a single b-air or any aerial for that matter), dins's fire is slower and only goes 1/3 of it's original distance and can't even vertically control it very well, Nayru's has a smaller hitbox, and the phantom is terrible. Worst version of Zelda I've seen yet.
I am disappointed. :(

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
Hello, it's been ages since I've posted on here or even ye olde AllisBrawl Link Forums. I see some familiar faces still reppin' Link....a single tear has been shed. It's bootyful.

I just got my hands on Smash 4 Link at a local Best Buy and got to play it. Even though it feels extremely similar to Brawl I'm gonna play the balls out of that game to no end for sure. I got to play Little Mac on 3DS, Link and Mega Mang on Wii U. Link's playstyle is very similar to his playstyle in Brawl with some noticeable changes. It's hard to judge how different he was due to me only being able to play him for about 2 minutes and also the fact they made me use a Wii U Pro Controller to play him which really for the first minute was me trying to figure out how to use him again with the awkward button layout (Gamecube controller for sure once that Smash4 Bundle is out). In those two minutes of playing him in my hands grasping that controller THE WORLD FELT WHOLE AGAIN. I'm want to get my hands on that dang game so hard right now.

Although, I probably won't be posting in the Brawl forums much since Smash 4 will be here soon it's good to see all of you again. Also, I randomly ran into Zane the Pure when there use to be zero NorCal Link mains back in the day. Now they have two.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Well, farewell Brawl Link. You were one helluva piece of ****, but I stuck with ya for a good 5 years. Forgive me Brawl Link-kun for I have been in a steady relationship now with Melee Link-senpai.

As for Smash 4 Link, here's what I know:
  • Zair still autocancels upon landing(saw it on Nintendo's Treehouse stream).
  • First active frame(s?) of Dair hit as a meteor, not a spike (as the Treehouse dude thought it was fine to use these words interchangably).
  • Second hit of Dsmash now has strong horizontal knockback, as opposed to vertical (Kirin told me this from his BestBuy experience).
I have a good handful of thoughts on Link's status in Smash 4, but seeing as we essentially still know next to nothing, I'll save my ideas for another time.

Anonanonanonanonanonanonanonanonanonanonano, I haven't seen you in forever! How've ya been?

Oddler, although your sig comes close, it will never match the bond that mai waifu 4 laifu and I share. SQUIRREL POWER!

Last edited:

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
BLUBBA HYPE. yo, I see you guys on the Smash 4 Link subforum. ;) So hype for Smash 4 Link. I think he's great.
Buzz plz bannerino this posterino ^
LMFAOOOOOO I don't even think he's a mod anymore.
Yoooo, that lag on fair though? :D

ALSO ODDLER HYPE YES. Aw man, this is sick.

Also this is blu link if you couldn't see my sig lol

Last edited:

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Ok, Played 5 rounds of the game, won every match, and I loved every second.
First of all, Link's Up-b recovery no longer has that weird deadzone of momentum (more melee like)
As mentioned Z-air Auto cancels still.
I got some time to work some ATs and most of em still work:
OoS Up-smash works.
ZAC aerials work nicely.
ledge tricks like zedge and multi chain still work.
gale gimps still happen (if done precisely).
I swear I bombslid like 3 times.
Jab cancels are better than ever.
Bomb to footstool D-air is still totally a thing.
Gale induced 2-hit f-smash works, and the new horizontal trajectory on D-smash back hit makes it really nasty off gale tricks.
I had a hard time seeing it, but I could swear the BDACUS worked out of spotdodge. Couldn't land DACUS but maybe I failed it on the Pro controller...

Link jumps a bit higher, recovers a bit better, his rolls are great (especially backroll), spotdodge is still good, Dash attack is stronger but slower (seems like he dodges low hits on jump though >:D) and it seems like there is increased hitstun and led me to some nice hit-confirms. The trajectories on his throws are more useful, didn't really get a feel for whether it's faster or not. Increased tether length is GORGEOUS, and Link seems to hit harder overall.

I really hope the Fire Emblem stage for Wii u is counterpick legal, cuz I freakin love that stage. Link wasn't in the 3DS demo I played, so I got 2 rounds in with Marth instead. Marth still feels incredibly solid and I believe he's no worse off than in brawl. He's a tad stronger overall, and recovers a little farther, but I felt like his range shortened.(probably cuz I played Melee the day before...)
And the graphics/music/presentation was all wonderful for both versions. If nothing else the game will be a joy to play casually at the very least.

Met Oddler at the event, got to talk about a bunch of stuff, and he's a totally cool guy who doesn't afraid of anything.
Great to meet you man, small world indeed, and though I'm headed back to Texas saturday, I hope to see more of you in the future.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
@ Zane the pure Zane the pure loved your analysis of the game. I was mostly struggling to come to terms with the Pro Controller too (I'm going to use it though for Smash 4, no reason to keep using the GC controller now that there's no more soft shielding) so I didn't get too much significant insight.

Sad day for P:M and Melee Links: utilt no longer seems to combo into itself. RIP utilt combos.

ALSO TIL that Link dairs are no longer punishable by Link spin attacks (when shielded). However I learned that Link spin attacks are still punishable by other Link spin attacks (when shielded). RIP UpB punishing dairs with spin attack in Link dittos. I will miss you much.

Edit: Oh and hai Oddler/Blubbs

Last edited:

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Great write-up there, Zane. I wonder if Zair will still combo into dash attack with its increased startup. If so, I see that being a fantastic KO strategy based on a simple, safe Zair hit-confirm.

I believe I saw Link's backroll in the Smash Direct video a month or so ago. It's that L-Target style backflip from the Zelda titles, right? It looked like an amazing roll improvement, very fast and stays within punish range. I'm eager to see its data in more detail, it might be able to function as a 'backdash' like from 2D fighters.

Faster jab cancels sound gorgeous.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Having a faster jab and better roll dodge alone is a big improvement over Brawl Link. Link needed a good reset option.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Hey, people are here! Sup guys.

Awesome, glad to see some opinions about link from someone who knows what they're doing. Much better than the impression I got from watching like two matches. Now I'm getting pumped about this game.

Btw, how is mega man? I MUST KNOW. I may be Co-maining him in this one (or at least seconding him)

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
Met Oddler at the event, got to talk about a bunch of stuff, and he's a totally cool guy who doesn't afraid of anything.
Great to meet you man, small world indeed, and though I'm headed back to Texas saturday, I hope to see more of you in the future.
Oh, you're still a TEXAS NATIVE. BLASPHEMY. You're not jumping back at Best Buy on Saturday for a Round 2? What were you up to in NorCal this week if I may ask.

I had to leave kinda early since I horrifically under-estimated when the event started and came UBER EARLY and had to bail early as a result. Although, this Saturday I'm going for double rounds in their (probably) BIGGER LINE since it will be Saturday.

and I totally remember you Anonaonaonaonanaonaono and Blu Link. I was wearing a Blue Link shirt yesterday I'm sure you'd be proud of. It's a beast shirt that Blubba Pinecone actually made.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
@ Oddler Oddler I came on an epic voyage all the way from my home state to play the demo only later find out it was available everywhere... rather I was on vacation with my mother and sister to meet my uncle's family and happened to be closest to Geary while I'm here. And yup, I leave saturday, so I won't have time to make the second round, which is why I made it through the line twice lol.

I suppose I should mention as far as the DACUS; I couldn't pull it off in between being ganged and not being used to the Wii u pro controller, but I managed to test plenty of other things. Actually I think I heard somewhere that the DACUS is proven not to work since the invitational... :(

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Geeze, guys. I leave for a few months and the place explodes! Good to see all the activity (and the hype) here. Is anyone gonna stick around once Smash4 hits, though? I personally don't have any reason to since the machine I played Brawl on was not mine. It went with my roommates when they moved out, and my skills with it.

I have an old 64 though and have been playing that. I thought it would keep me practiced but it just gave me some terrible habits, such as using only stick and A for smashes and rolling way too much, as well as over-Dairing (I keep trying to Z-cancel before realizing there is no Z under my left index finger). Not to mention the controller I'm now used to is made for 3-armed mutants. I think I'm just gonna go cold turkey and reinvent my game once 4 comes out.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
It's father's day... and I am still not yet a father.... nor married. :(
Keeping hope both will happen some day. :)

My kid will grow up on LoZ. >:]

But yeah - Smash 4 - Buying it despite criticisms. Don't care what they say. Zelda bottom tier again? Awesome, more of a challenge to screw with people by playing her and beating them with gimmicks. Link a little better - sweet, let me just see how his bombs are and then we'll talk. Toon Link? ToonGoon4LifeYo.

Top Bottom