• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Rizen

Smash Legend
Cats instinctively go in their litter box. Dogs take years to house train then have to be regularly taken for walks. Which pet is better? You decide.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
There is a lot of modding I've got to catch up on in this thread. I'll unlock it when I'm done. I can safely say that leaving it open would only create more work at this stage.

Ok it's sorted. I may have overreacted by closing the thread, but hey, at least now there's less for me to read.
Yeah...sorry about that, Foxy.
While I agree with most of this, I think Joss did an amazing job with the Astonishing X-Men comic book run.

@ ShinTwist ScreamPaste ShinTwist ScreamPaste
Dogs are superior, you heathen.
Cats instinctively go in their litter box. Dogs take years to house train then have to be regularly taken for walks. Which pet is better? You decide.
You guys and your silly pet wars.

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
What a load of ****, I hate that nerdy crap when it's only disgusting geeks that enjoy it, and I hate it when half of the USA is tuning in. This idea that I dislike it just because it is popular is ********, it's just a convenient way to reduce my case to nothing. It isn't even ****ing popular, it was cancelled after a single season because of low ratings. Conveniently nerds can then pretend it was "too smart and sophisticated for the masses" -- just read its Wikipedia page. I've never pulled that. It's just more of Joss Whedon's nerdprocessor trash. If you can read the plot synopsis without cringing you've come way too far:

Or is it the best snarky, unrealistic geekspeak dialogue that socially ******** idiots have on forums and wish they could have in real life that appeals?

AHAHAAHH SO FUNNY. This is from a highlight quote page.

I love the way all this **** always deals so lightly with death. What a mature approach to the world.

(This is straight out of a cartoon for 8 year-olds.)

AHAHAHA HE WAS SHOT BEFORE HE COULD FINISH THAT

AHAHAHAH HOW CHEEKY

lmfao kindergarten insults kill yourself Joss

ahahaah yes this is how people actually talk i talk a lot in real life with real people didnt you know we always talk like this IT ACTUALLY HAPPENS IN REAL LIFE

see i share profound life lessons too!!!!!

But Ele keep giving money to those superhero licenses IP checked by money-grabbing executives to seduce sad sacks of **** with ******y rubber suits and corny trash and defend other nerd **** by pretending I just hate it to be contrarian CAUSE IT COULDN'T JUST BE ITS FOR ******* RIGHT
1) I told you so
2) Actually the series was canceled because the network was being over controlling pricks. They showed the episodes out of order, hardly advertised it, and put what episode they did show in different time slots. The series was such a hit among the fans that they actually convinced universal to pick up a movie from a dead and canceled TV series, which is pretty impressive if you ask me. However, I somehow doubt you'll agree.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
@ Dumbfire Dumbfire Interestingly enough, some of my conversations with friends are very very close to being like that. If you're not witty enough to come up with snarky retorts in real time it doesn't immediately mean that nobody else is. I mean, xat itself and my skype calls with Vonzar the Soulrender Vonzar the Soulrender (and soon enough ShinTwist ScreamPaste ShinTwist ScreamPaste ) are proof of this. You guys are really missing out.

Also, you know which other TV show was also cancelled due to low ratings? Star Trek.

Granted, you'll just find a way to turn this around and offend Trekkies (though honestly, they're really asking for it) and everybody who loves something that doesn't meet your personal criteria of what "good" is (the definition of elitism...sort of) but you should know that I actually dislike Star Trek and I have never been able to watch an entire Firefly episode the two whole times I actually bothered to try. I just watched the movie, which I did enjoy.

Also, that final comment on me continuing to give execs my money is really lulzy. What do you think you're doing whenever you buy anything at all. Or what, do you think that classic authors and musicians weren't sell outs just looking for a paycheck as well? It's how business works. You provide a service and people fork over cash to access your service. If you provide juvenile escapism and that happens to be what I'm looking for, then I'll gladly give you my cash as long as I enjoy your flavor of escapism. Heck, I love Batman because the guy is utterly insane and has no qualms when it comes to punching people. What wouldn't I give to be able to punch every moron I disliked as well. Alas, I can't, and while I did practice martial arts (plural) int he days of my youth, not only am I too old now but fighting in a ring, whether it's for sparring or in a tournament doesn't have the same emotional discharge that punching someone who's really asking for it has. So, I turn to games to at least escape and obtain that same emotional discharge by click-punching fake people.

But hey, it's jut for fat loser nerds right? No way a normally balanced person could enjoy a nice story of ubbermensch rage punching really punch worthy people as a way to escape the boredom of what civilized society has become.

Last edited:

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
So Dogs are better. End of discussion. I had 3 chickens at my house. I just like to keep them in my back yard. One night a cat came very late at night. While I was sleeping. It ate my new 5 month old girl chicken. Man I was sad. But the worst part was it only hate the head not the body. And I got a dog btw

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Cats have a tendency to poop in your shoes if you make them angry. Dogs just poop wherever.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I like batman because the psychology.

Sort of relevant but I've been looking for an excuse to post this:

Cats have a tendency to poop in your shoes if you make them angry.
I've know many cats and never heard of that happening.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
i cant believe an adult writes stuff like this and means it
Why, because I don't fit your very closed, narrow minded intolerant world view of what adults should be like, which is based on...hopes and wishes?

You're still young DF, I'll give you 5 more years until you realize that there are some people out there in the world in dire need of a good punching.

Also, cats are better. Dogs are just for people trying desperately to fill the emotional void in their lives, so they turn to an animal who will worship them regardless of anything you do. Unconditional love for love hungry people.

Cats on the other hand are uncaring a-holes, for uncaring a-holes. I freaking love them.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
No way a normally balanced person could enjoy a nice story of ubbermensch rage punching really punch worthy people as a way to escape the boredom of what civilized society has become.
No you're entirely right here, but there's your issue, you don't like reality and you won't see beauty in it since it's just "boredom" to you. This invokes far more pathos than ******** violent streaks commited by some fantasy figure in a rubber suit, and this evokes the suburban desolation you mention -- the entire modernist idiom seeks "to see beneath both beauty and ugliness; to see the boredom, and the horror, and the glory".

But who cares when you can not grow up and watch the same cartoons you did as an 8-year old? This *********** about punching people shows the severe moral unseriousness and childishness of modernity.

Rizen

Smash Legend
No you're entirely right here, but there's your issue, you don't like reality and you won't see beauty in it since it's just "boredom" to you. This invokes far more pathos than ******** violent streaks commited by some fantasy figure in a rubber suit, and this evokes the suburban desolation you mention -- the entire modernist idiom seeks "to see beneath both beauty and ugliness; to see the boredom, and the horror, and the glory".

But who cares when you can not grow up and watch the same cartoons you did as an 8-year old? This *********** about punching people shows the severe moral unseriousness and childishness of modernity.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515

I remember watching that video already. It's also a nice bit of escapism. The flavor is different though and it doesn't offer the release I crave for. See, as someone told me once, "you can be the best strawberry ice cream in the world but reality is that not everybody likes ice cream". Your flavor of escapism doesn't always appeal to me. It is though just as banal as rubber wearing heroes. They are also triviliazing death, though they do it under a facade of respect, but in reality they're glorifying it by saying that the dead guy is better off than them for being dead. Japanese art tends to be that fatalistic, it stems from their culture probably.

But what am I saying? An overgrown manchild such as myself cannot possibly entertain such thoughts. My mind is filled of puddle deep pseudo plots from exploitative comic books, right? It can't be that I can appreciate that and enjoy it while still preferring fantastical escapism to precisely, escape the cruelty and misery of an uncaring unloving world. When all you see is death and misery, do you think that you'll seek entertainment that once more is death and misery? Or might you choose to rather escape the crushing reality by reading/watching about superheroes?

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
When all you see is death and misery, do you think that you'll seek entertainment that once more is death and misery?
lol man or do something with your life wth, the average person's life is not "death and misery"

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
Dogs are filthy attention whores that can't do anything by themselves and require way too much attention; they're like annoying children, except for the rest of their lives.

Cats are awesome.

I'm awesome.

End of discussion.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
@ Breadloaf Breadloaf : Goddammit XD. See what you made me do? You've gone and made me laugh.
Unfortunately I must give you a verbal warning about spam though. Posts with reactionary pics/gifs and little to no text accompanying it are considered spam as they fall under the 'no substantive content' rule. Yes, even pics from The Dark Knight.

I never let anyone see the other side of my avatar's face.

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
You can get away with quite a bit around here so long as you're confident it'll make Foxy laugh.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
@ Dumbfire Dumbfire I think you're paying too much attention to the figurative canvas when determining art. Art in any form, be it written, drawn, sung, etc, is an expression of life. Not being classic or traditional doesn't subtract from the expressiveness of the artist. Take my favorite artist, MC Escher; the man was a genius who refused to be shackled by convention.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
lol man or do something with your life wth, the average person's life is not "death and misery"
Yes, because life is so easy that your living conditions are entirely dependant on you. You have the power and capabilities to change your reality, and if your life sucks it's just your fault. Why don't you take that pseudo philosophical, first world privileged bull crap and share it with women in Muslim states, or Christians in the region of Africa where Boko Haram operate? How about to the people of the Congo, or the millions who die everyday due to living in a world and system that simply doesn't care about you. Go preach it to the slaves (there are still slaves in the world btw), so the Sex slaves or people forced into prostitution? How about to the millions of girls who are abused by their parents every day (recently there was a notorious case in Paraguay of a 13 year old girl giving birth to her mother's boyfriend's child)?

If I want to appreciate the brutal beauty of real life I'll turn on the news. When I want to relax and forget that life is a chaotic ride without steering controls, I'll turn to something that tells me that in the ends, there's still good in the world. The world has no happy endings, so forgive me for looking for them in my spare time in my entertainment.

Life is quite different when those horror stories aren't just on the news, but when you have to deal with them in person, day in and day out.

But hey, I'm sure that's just my choice right? After all, life is beautiful and gorgeous and we should all rebel on the fact on it.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Ah, the joy that is watching conflicting viewpoints *grabs popcorn*. so how are we Link mains doing this fine day?

Last edited:

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
I normally would read intringuenly all the post with calm and patient to make a valid opinion. This is not my week, so im very lazy.

Under the above statement, i only say one phrase i once heard: "There is no such as a wrong way to live your life (it means also the things you like), while your way to do it does not opaque the others' life".

All this needless justification of tastes and opinions, how horrible. If I cared what someone was saying to me about my hobbies, I'd just gag them and get back to work until the moment passed.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Screams for mercy sounds much better through a gag, Ele.
Oh, you meant that work. I thought you meant your day job. Well, I can hardly disagree with your post; the logic is bullet proof.

For @ Dumbfire Dumbfire :

Maybe I am not supposed to be a scribe. Although it has been my life long dream to be one, I have never possessed the required skill for it. I long to write, I crave epic stories, desire romance and drama, and cherish poems and sonnets; yet they all elude my mental grasp. Ever since I can recall, I have reached for the quill and ink, and failed.

My mind went blank, my palms and fingertips began sweating, and I ran out of breath. Every single time I reached for the ink and sat in front of a blank parchment, I experienced the same symptoms. Every time, but one. Not long ago I dreamt of a poem, a gorgeous epic poem which included all I ever wanted to write about. It was a gift from God, or so I thought; yet now I know it actually was a curse from the devils. If only I had never dreamt that dream.

Every time I think about time I despair, yet ever since my poem was made public by my benefactor, time is all I hear. After my ode was published, an editor was appointed to me. Supposedly to help; in truth, to torment. Every week he calls for me, and everyday he reminds me that my time is running short, that my patronage is at an end. If only I had never dreamt that dream.

My editor called me asking about my next writing again this morning. Threatened me with poverty and hunger and tried to force me to spew verses I had not written nor conceived. My editor called me to torment my soul. Never more would that happen, for I have no more soul. I have forgotten it, lost it in the days of yore; it has been eroded by the tortuous days I have lived since my poem was published. I too shall pass, as my dreamt poem already has. Farewell all. A sad unmemorable farewell for a sad unmemorable scribe.

If only I had never dreamt that dream.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Yes, because life is so easy that your living conditions are entirely dependant on you. You have the power and capabilities to change your reality, and if your life sucks it's just your fault. Why don't you take that pseudo philosophical, first world privileged bull crap and share it with women in Muslim states,
LOL all I said was the average person's life in the west, where superhero trash and its associated discontents are widespread, is not "misery and death". You yourself said life there was "boring" before! go strawman some more
share it with women in Muslim states, or Christians in the region of Africa where Boko Haram operate? How about to the people of the Congo, or the millions who die everyday due to living in a world and system that simply doesn't care about you. Go preach it to the slaves (there are still slaves in the world btw), so the Sex slaves or people forced into prostitution? How about to the millions of girls who are abused by their parents every day (recently there was a notorious case in Paraguay of a 13 year old girl giving birth to her mother's boyfriend's child)?
lol blablablabla bad things happen in the world O RLY
This must be the least impressive list of bad things that happen in the world I've ever read, and it's already a very annoying sentimental ploy. I've read hundreds of these:
So many hundred thousands sit in workhouses: and other hundred thousands have not yet got even workhouses; and in thrifty Scotland itself, in Glasgow or Edinburgh City, in their dark lanes, hidden from all but the eye of God, and of rare Benevolence the minister of God, there are scenes of woe and destitution and desolation, such as, one may hope, the Sun never saw before in the most barbarous regions where men dwelt. ... Descend where you will into the lower class, in Town or Country, by what avenue you will, by Factory Inquiries, Agricultural Inquiries, by Revenue Returns, by Mining-Labourer Committees, by opening your own eyes and looking, the same sorrowful result discloses itself: you have to admit that the working body of this rich English Nation has sunk or is fast sinking into a state, to which, all sides of it considered, there was literally never any parallel. At Stockport Assizes,— and this too has no reference to the present state of trade, being of date prior to that,—a Mother and a Father are arraigned and found guilty of poisoning three of their children, to defraud a 'burial-society' of some 31.8s. due on the death of each child: they are arraigned, found guilty; and the official authorities, it is whispered, hint that perhaps the case is not solitary, that perhaps you had better not probe farther into that department of things. This is in the autumn of 1841; the crime itself is of the previous year or season. "Brutal savages, degraded Irish," mutters the idle reader of Newspapers; hardly lingering on this incident.
When I got upon the corn land in the Isle of Thanet, I got into a garden indeed. There is hardly any fallow; comparatively few turnips. It is a country of corn. Most of the harvest is in; but there are some fields of wheat and of barley not yet housed. A great many pieces of lucerne, and all of them very fine. I left Ramsgate to my right about three miles, and went right across the island to Margate; but that place is so thickly settled with stock-jobbing cuckolds, at this time of the year, that, having no fancy to get their horns stuck into me, I turned away to my left when I got within about half a mile of the town. I got to a little hamlet, where I breakfasted; but could get no corn for my horse, and no bacon for myself! All was corn around me. Barns, I should think, two hundred feet long; ricks of enormous size and most numerous; crops of wheat, five quarters to an acre, on the average; and a public-house without either bacon or corn! The labourers’ houses, all along through this island, beggarly in the extreme. The people dirty, poor-looking; ragged, but particularly dirty. The men and boys with dirty faces, and dirty smock-frocks, and dirty shirts; and, good God! what a difference between the wife of a labouring man here, and the wife of a labouring man in the forests and woodlands of Hampshire and Sussex! Invariably have I observed, that the richer the soil, and the more destitute of woods; that is to say, the more purely a corn country, the more miserable the labourers. The cause is this, the great, the big bull frog grasps all. In this beautiful island every inch of land is appropriated by the rich. No hedges, no ditches, no commons, no grassy lanes: a country divided into great farms; a few trees surround the great farm-house. All the rest is bare of trees; and the wretched labourer has not a stick of wood, and has no place for a pig or cow to graze, or even to lie down upon. The rabbit countries are the countries for labouring men. There the ground is not so valuable. There it is not so easily appropriated by the few. Here, in this island, the work is almost all done by the horses. The horses plough the ground; they sow the ground; they hoe the ground; they carry the corn home; they thresh it out; they carry it to market; nay, in this island, they rake the ground; they rake up the straggling straws and ears; so that they do the whole, except the reaping and the mowing. It is impossible to have an idea of anything more miserable than the state of the labourers in this part of the country.
If I want to appreciate the brutal beauty of real life I'll turn on the news. When I want to relax and forget that life is a chaotic ride without steering controls, I'll turn to something that tells me that in the ends, there's still good in the world. The world has no happy endings, so forgive me for looking for them in my spare time in my entertainment.
BAD THINGS HAPPEN IN THE WORLD AND WHEN I TURN ON THE NEWS I SEE THEM SO THEREFORE I READ BATMAN COMICS

This childish need for affirmation of good in the world packaged in with a neat moral lesson in children's entertainment is not convincing.
Oh, you meant that work. I thought you meant your day job. Well, I can hardly disagree with your post; the logic is bullet proof.

For @ Dumbfire Dumbfire :
That seems like some cutesy college assignment that has no real impact because it's too mannered and forced.

Top Bottom