• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 3.0: It's over, it's done, moving on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Why not, Kibble?

I'm just a little disappointed, but I guess I should've known better. I guess all of us who were expecting at least one or two and weren't on the list just wanted to express their sadness about this fact.
The only one who really cursed about it was smashbot. =/

Really, I'm happy I at least got a few votes (as MasterWarlord said), knowing that at least I've been recognized.
All of those who are now complaining (if you could call it like that), just make sure you are doing a better job next time. I will do so. And I know that one of my movesets will win.

Just the knowledge of people anticipating my Guntz and a few looking up information on the Klonoa series and their characters makes me feel a bit better, because I know that I've strayed interest.

That is all.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I'm fully satisfied with Donna's placing. An OC in the Top5 really makes me feel like I've achieved something.

edit: Rockman, Barockman Obama, Forte, ProtoMan, Megaman9:Megaman, GalaxyMan. The blue bomber sure is going to be popular in MYM4. I wouldn't be surprised if TopMan got his own moveset.
What would Topman's FS be? To own Wiley's final form in one hit?

Edit: I'm not emo about not being in or anything, it's just that I went to a lot of trouble for Elite Beat Agents and King Arthur, but I couldn't really spare the time to be on here all the time, nor did I really wish to be a ***** and spend all my time pimping them out lol. I was hoping their greatness would speak for themselves (I did after all go to the trouble of getting full musical selections for both haha).

Also on voting for Team Rocket instead of Tails: I don't like sonic character movesets much. I think I voted for one or two overall that had stuck out to me, but overall I think the sonic franchise is overdone and most of the character just aren't very interesting to me. On the other hand Team Rocket was another thing I usually hate (Pokemon chars) but I loved it anyway since I've always liked them in particular. Not to say your Tails moveset isn't -better-, it just didn't interest me as much.

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
Yeah, hopefully my movesets in MYM4 will be placed better next time. I can clearly see that the layout of each move (animation, stats of move, and the uses) makes it easier to read now, and also the amount of detail i've added to each attack is higher than my movesets here.

You learn from your mistakes, and improve on you movesets, right?

(P.S, you shouldn't really vote for characters you like really, I could hate Soul Calibre, but I can still say that Cervantus was an awesome moveset, but anywho, your vote is your vote, and I can't stop you for voting it)

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
@SirKibble: The "Supreme Sandbag" really doesn't really have any more power/stuff to do then the other sandbags, so don't worry. We're all in this together.

Of course there will be griping. Not everything is always happy happy joy joy, and Smashbot is quite eccentric. . .The others were just victims of inactivity. Most of them are already making better movesets, upping their qualty standards, and planning on being more activ in mym 4. The pieces are all falling into place just fine it seems.

@Infernorage: Your sig and avatar are both awesome.

half_silver28

Smash Ace
IMPORTANT POST

@Smash Daddy and Half Silver: I actually voted for Vivi and Batman. Smash Daddy, you didn't do that much advertising and came into the thread kinda late, so you wern't particularly well known enough to get a lot of votes, even though felt you should've placed somewhere with Vivi. Half Silver, some nuts actually voted for Stanley Yelnatz and not Batman, so that hampered you somewhat. Batman did indeed get a few votes, you aren't non existant.

@Everyone complaining in general: It's not so much which movesets are the best that ends up determining it, it's which ones they remember. The people naturally end up remembering the movesets mad by the regulars due to them constantly being displayed in their sig and whatnot. Really though, most people just slap together a list lazily without much thought. Sonic the Baron gave my Voldo a super vote, but didn't vote for Cervantes or Nightmare. What the hell? Don't take these rankings too seriously. If I made my own personnal top 50, it would include all of you.

For those complaining that we had too much power over this, all we did was break ties for movesets with the same amount of votes. We had to cut three movesets from the list, not being the ones that you guys are asking about, and arranged the sections with those ties to what we felt was the best, not cutting any movesets.

If you wanna start your own contest. . .Good luck. The mods will just lock it and say to come to our topic.
yeah, I do get that there were a TON of movsets... but what the hell?? Why would anyone vote for my crappy Stanley moveset? I obviously now see that I made a mistake in simply telling people not to vote for Stanley instead of withdrawing him from the contest entirely. I now see what I must... I won't make any more than 3 movesets for the next contest, & make sure that all of them are equally awesome. :) ~ sub-par movesets, regardless of how popular they are, just end up dragging down ur good ones.

to be honest, I wish that you guys would have more say in who gets in the top 50. you are the COMMIES for a reason, aren't you? aren't you gaiz qualified to decide which movesets are awesome & which aren't? I know that might frustrate some people, but would allow the overlooked movesets to get the recognition they deserve. I believe I made a rant similar to this after the results of MYM 2 were announced... :laugh:

& I wasn't serious about making another contest, btw. lol

If anyone cares, some plans I have for MYM 4 are Spyro the Dragon, Midna, Superman , Tifa Lockheart, & maybe an original character. Obviously, I won't be doing all of them :p

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
yeah, I do get that there were a TON of movsets... but what the hell?? Why would anyone vote for my crappy Stanley moveset? I obviously now see that I made a mistake in simply telling people not to vote for Stanley instead of withdrawing him from the contest entirely. I now see what I must... I won't make any more than 3 movesets for the next contest, & make sure that all of them are equally awesome. :) ~ sub-par movesets, regardless of how popular they are, just end up dragging down ur good ones.

to be honest, I wish that you guys would have more say in who gets in the top 50. you are the COMMIES for a reason, aren't you? aren't you gaiz qualified to decide which movesets are awesome & which aren't? I know that might frustrate some people, but would allow the overlooked movesets to get the recognition they deserve. I believe I made a rant similar to this after the results of MYM 2 were announced... :laugh:

& I wasn't serious about making another contest, btw. lol

If anyone cares, some plans I have for MYM 4 are Spyro the Dragon, Midna, Superman , Tifa Lockheart, & maybe an original character. Obviously, I won't be doing all of them :p
I'd be interested in seeing Midna.

Anyway, rest assured, we WILL avoid this happening in MYM 4, but MYM 3 only really turned into a serious competetion around the time I came in. Dracula coupeled with my presence really sky rocketed off the detail movement. Because of it not being that seriou before that though, we decided to let the people have more say this go around.

In MYM 4 however, we'll have much, much more say on matters. Nobody will be left out, and the list will be much more accurate. Us sandbags have been discussing this for a long time now to ensure that it won't be a repeat, and it's clearly going to be much more competetive straight from the first page. When you see my 27000 word moveset on the first page, you'll see why. . .

For now. . .*Plays hail to the chief for mendez*

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Woo. I already feel bad because I'm behind with my movesets. I only have Guntz finished. >_<

I'm also thinking of giving him a second SSE boss (the King of Sorrow)... how'd you like that?

Smady

Smash Master
Smash Daddy, you didn't do that much advertising and came into the thread kinda late, so you wern't particularly well known enough to get a lot of votes, even though felt you should've placed somewhere with Vivi.
Thanks for the clear-up.

I really think the community should consider a more user-based voting scheme. Like, one user can only have up to seven movesets in the top fifty at any time, with emphasis on putting as many people there as possible. It seems as if a lot of people's best ones are being overlooked because of the best people's mediocre ones, which is a crying shame. Some feedback on this thought would be greatly appreciated. :chuckle:

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Yes, we're all in it together, so we'll all have to take the heat equally. But I don't wish what's inevitable on myself, nor do I wish it upon any of my fellow Sandbags. This is already a lot worse than MYM2. Most people were either happy to see their movesets make the list, or understanding of the reasons that their movesets weren't on the list.

Really, though, guys, I want to point out a few things.

Make Your Move is, first and foremost, supposed to be fun. I know it's easy to get caught up in the "contest" aspect of it and get competitive, but it really is just for fun.

Let's think about what placing in the Top 50 even means. It means... Well, it really doesn't mean anything, except that people remembered your moveset. We had plenty of votes for movesets that were far from deserving of a spot in there, simply because people remembered them. The winners of this contest don't get anything substantial out of it. There's no cash prize. There's no published article about the winning moveset. The Top 50 don't get a fan-made SSB including them. All they get is the recognition of the rest of the MYMers. And more often than not, that's as a contributor, not for a specific moveset.

I'm gonna use myself as an example, if no one minds. In MYM2, I had four movesets place in the Top 50. One of them was even quite high on the list (#7 or so, if I recall correctly). Did people talk about it, even those who did participate in MYM2? No. Some people remembered me, but I bet a few of them couldn't even name a moveset of mine. The same thing will happen in MYM4. No one's going to talk about Paper Luigi, Sandslash, or Waddle Doo, even though they all placed Top 50. Movesets don't get remembered all that much as these contests go on. Makers do. And you don't have to place Top 50 to be remembered as a good moveset-maker.

Hopefully Spade doesn't mind, but I'm going to use him as an example there. None of Spade's movesets placed in the Top 50, for whatever reason. But he's still a very valued contributor to MYM. None of the regulars in this thread don't recognize the name Spadefox when they see it, and they recognize it as the name of someone who should be respected, as he's given a lot to MYM through his movesets. What I'm saying is, despite me making three Top 50 placements and Spade not making any, I highly doubt that in the future, there will be more recognition for myself than for Spade. When people talk MYM3, they're gonna say as much about SirKibble as they will about Spadefox.

Now, about all these complaints. This isn't strictly a moveset quality contest. In fact, to a good point, it's not. A lot of it's still a massive popularity contest. The best moveset in the world could be made by somebody who popped in for a single post, and never showed up again, and I guarantee, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it would not win. The popularity of a moveset and its creator determines way too much of that list for it not to be taken with a few grains of salt.

Sure, it's natural to be upset if your moveset(s) didn't place, but what reason is that to quit? What's quitting going to do for you? Moreover, I'd ask you to ask yourself what compelled you to make the moveset in the first place? If you wanted mass amounts of recognition for it, then I'm sorry, my friend, but your motives are sour. If you're not making movesets for fun, I swear it, MYM will continue to disappoint you. Did you make these movesets because you wanted people to talk about them in years to come? Or did you make them because you thought they were freakin' cool? Evaluate your motives, is all I'm asking. I don't want to see anybody leave this contest because they feel discouraged by the results, but I also don't want to see anyone stay here strictly out of the desire to conquer the Top 50. I repeat myself, you will be disappointed.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well, I'm fairly pleased with the results. My best and most advertised moveset, Andy's Toys, placed just where I thought it would. Joy! And I voted for several movesets outside the current top 50, so @ those people, it doesn't mean you aren't remembered.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
SirKibble basically summed up the remainder of what needed to be said. I am gonna say though that some of these are going to be remembered. . .The top 10 consists of quality made movesets by famous users.

However, there is some hope for you lot though who are dying to place in he top 50. The next MYM voting is going to be taken much more seriously. Us sandbags will have much more say in this, the results will be far less controversial. More discussion on this shall go through to ensure minimal dissapointment next go around.

BKupa, you suffered the same fate as Spadefox. You had so many moveets. . .A bunch of them got a few votes, but Andy's Toys was the only one who got enough to really place well.

half_silver28

Smash Ace
Thanks for the clear-up.

I really think the community should consider a more user-based voting scheme. Like, one user can only have up to seven movesets in the top fifty at any time, with emphasis on putting as many people there as possible. It seems as if a lot of people's best ones are being overlooked because of the best people's mediocre ones, which is a crying shame. Some feedback on this thought would be greatly appreciated. :chuckle:
*coughfivecough*

honestly though, I think a better idea would be to only allow people to vote for up to 3 movesets from one person. This would make it so only people's best movesets would get to the top 50, & would encourage people to not make as many movesets, so the best ones don't get lost in the ocean of smashbrosmike & spam. speaking of spam, we should try to limit spam in MYM 4, regardless of how funny it is (TYATM, linkin park, krystal bashing, fierce deity link, political discussions, extremely long copypasta, etc.)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Yeah, I guess I will reduce myself, as well, and postpone some of my projects into MYM5.

Though I definitely will post Custom Robo and The King, as I have started them out already, and my secret moveset, too! ^_^

Also, no input on a second SSE boss for Guntz? I'm a sad panda now. D:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
That seems kind of overkill unless you actually work the boss into Guntz's SSE Role, unless of course you're making a full SSE like my miserable lttle pile of secrets.

Just have fun and try to improve. The rankings of the top 50 mean little to nothing. That's basically what it all comes down to. Only the top 10 are decently accurate.

Evilgidgit

Smash Apprentice
I lost again!!! :dizzy: Oh well. Next time I will be in the Top 50!!!

Well done to everyone who won.

ON TO MYM4!!!! *rides off on a flaming horse*

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Haha, I was planning on making a mini-SSE for Guntz and my other movesets (well, most of 'em), including my bosses and the 3 characters who haven't been mentioned in Brawl's SSE.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Glad most people are being understanding. We're going to do our best to cut down on stuff like this for MYM4, though it won't be easy.

EDIT: Spade! You Smash Lorded!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
BKupa, you suffered the same fate as Spadefox. You had so many moveets. . .A bunch of them got a few votes, but Andy's Toys was the only one who got enough to really place well.
Yeah, by the end, I realized that with my tight schedule, they were the ones that I knew would be in high regards towards the end, so I put most of my efforts into perfecting just them. And it worked. Plus, throughout the contest, I believe I focused on quantity, not quality. Based on my starts for this contest, I will reverse this.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Well, I have outposted you already, so I guess I shouldn't spam here even MORE!

Aw crap, I did it again! >.<

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
There is one thing that absolutely -has- to happen in the next MYM. There needs to be a LINK catalouge of the movesets. Alot of people listed their movesets by page number they were on, but for those of us with different forum settings this is useless information. It's much easier to just click a link (the first page was an example of how annoying this can be with no links). There were times I'd see a moveset I wanted to read but I couldn't be sussed to go searching through 200 pages to find it, and the limitations of SWF's search function don't help.

Gryphon

Smash Journeyman
There is one thing that absolutely -has- to happen in the next MYM. There needs to be a LINK catalouge of the movesets. Alot of people listed their movesets by page number they were on, but for those of us with different forum settings this is useless information. It's much easier to just click a link (the first page was an example of how annoying this can be with no links). There were times I'd see a moveset I wanted to read but I couldn't be sussed to go searching through 200 pages to find it, and the limitations of SWF's search function don't help.
That's what I am doing. Check it out in my sig. I am planning that

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Sure, it's natural to be upset if your moveset(s) didn't place, but what reason is that to quit? What's quitting going to do for you? Moreover, I'd ask you to ask yourself what compelled you to make the moveset in the first place? If you wanted mass amounts of recognition for it, then I'm sorry, my friend, but your motives are sour. If you're not making movesets for fun, I swear it, MYM will continue to disappoint you. Did you make these movesets because you wanted people to talk about them in years to come? Or did you make them because you thought they were freakin' cool? Evaluate your motives, is all I'm asking. I don't want to see anybody leave this contest because they feel discouraged by the results, but I also don't want to see anyone stay here strictly out of the desire to conquer the Top 50. I repeat myself, you will be disappointed.
I don't want lots of recognition. I just want to know that someone appreciates the effort I put into a set, top fifty or not.

When I posted Enker, it literally got no comments whatsoever. It was like I posted spam or something. When K.Rool reviewed him, I was less excited about the score than I was that someone actually acknowledged my move set's existence.

So yes, I am in it for fun. But last time I checked, pouring your heart into one of these and then to have it be passed by like it was nothing is, well, not fun.

Smady

Smash Master
I don't want lots of recognition. I just want to know that someone appreciates the effort I put into a set, top fifty or not.

When I posted Enker, it literally got no comments whatsoever. It was like I posted spam or something. When K.Rool reviewed him, I was less excited about the score than I was that someone actually acknowledged my move set's existence.

So yes, I am in it for fun. But last time I checked, pouring your heart into one of these and then to have it be passed by like it was nothing is, well, not fun.
This is the big problem with these threads. The Chief Mendez and SmashBrosMikes of the community have attention rubbed all over their smooth buttocks, but the guys in the middle - with or without spectacular talent - get overlooked a little. I think that, maybe, a review club or some sort of agreed reviewal system would be a great improvement. If that fails, perhaps an unwritten rule of acknowledgement... if there's a moveset new on the page, comment on it, etc. I dislike seeing spammy discussions or advertising or reviews come the way after a new moveset that is longing for some loving.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I always said about your Enker moveset that I loved it and its odd mechanic about the weaknesses. D:

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I always said about your Enker moveset that I loved it and its odd mechanic about the weaknesses. D:
I think I remember you mentioning it somewhere - oh yes, before the advertisments, you and K.Rool both said you remered it. Thanks.:)

BUT STILL, that was a LOOOOOOOOONG time after he was posted, I was surprised that anyone even knew there was a link in-between Bass and Shade.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
What should I say? lol

Like, except for Mendez' ads for Lip and Gilius; and K.Rool's review on the Students, all of my movesets have never been mentioned for most of the time. Except that when that one loser-Shadow was posted, where someone stated that they liked mine better. But that's all. :laugh:

But in MYM 4.0, it'll be different. Guntz will blow you all away~

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
HMMMMM, how can we help? I guess my work's appreciated more than I thought after-all. :)

At any rate, just wait till you lot see Nack! Bass.EXE pales in comparison!

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord

I completely understand you. I may now be a member of the community, but I remember, when I entered the thread somewhere in the high 100s, both Magikoopa and Pidgeot went by with hardly a comment to show for them. I know it can be kinda disheartening. In fact, I've been trying for a long time to post random comments on the strengths and weaknesses of recently posted movesets.

Seriously, don't make me dig up a bunch of my own quotes.

Anyway, as you all probably know, I AM a Sandbag and a member of the administration for MYM 4. And we're going to do all possible to make that list as comprehensive as possible, and not leave anyone out. Whether that means we have to take a direct hand and prevent strange happenings like dancingfrogman's Tails almost being lower than his Team Rocket. There's the power of the first page for you.

Oh yeah, and I gave Enker a super vote, Hypes. One of my favourites.

Now, to bide the time until MYM 4, let us celebrate the victory of the undead and denizens of the night!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qh_uhV0ta0

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
@K.Rool and the other Sandbags: Good luck in managing MYM4.

If anyone's interested, I posted up my actual voting list in the social group. I feel kind-of bad in retrospect, as there were a lot of great move sets that I didn't remember till long after I submitted my votes.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Gryphon's got an archive site in the works, but us Sandbags are planning on maintaining a list with the name, author, and link to each moveset.

So you'll have an archive with a bunch of neat extras, and a bare-bones quick-find list.

@Smash Daddy: We've got something along the lines of a "review club" coming up. And yeah, it'd be nice to have people not ignore movesets that get posted, and I think it's even a part of the rules in this thread...but unfortunately there's not really any way to enforce it other than to try and lead by example if you see it happening.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Really, the problem is that the thread moves too quickly, and not everyone reads page to page, quickly moving on to another topic. There's not much that can be done about that. You COULD crack down on spam, but that kinda takes away the friendly atmosphere of the place.

And yeah, I say friendly, Smash Daddy. Despite what I said earlier, I came in about halfway through the thread and I felt welcome more or less right away.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I came in at exactly page 60, and the two responses I got for Vulturon were both friendly ones, including Cheap_Josh's slight criticism, so yeah, I vote friendly.

Heck, I even acted friendly towards WAMY on one occasion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom