• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 3.0: It's over, it's done, moving on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Preview session indeed.

Tails Doll still looks pretty neat in concept to me, although I question whether he's overpowered. He doesn't keep his curse charge if he is KO'd, does he? It seems like it might be a bit too easy to just suck up every attack the foe launches against you, but...

MY TURN

This is Orca's Up B. It's a simple concept but has a lot of little details that I need to explain. Is it too wordy? Are there parts I could potentially cut out? Is there any confusion?

Up Special --- Javelin Ledge --- If you use this when you're not facing a ledge, Orca merely extends his spear as far as it can go on a diagonal angle, jabbing foes. When you ARE facing a ledge, however, he hurls it, from whatever angle he was on, directly at it. The act of throwing gives him a small boost in height, like Yoshi's does. The spear, which embeds itself in the ledge, effectively extends it, and can be stood on or grabbed as a regular ledge. If a foe was on the ledge, they are knocked off. As soon as Orca hits solid ground again, he pulls his spear out of the ground, or, if he lands farther away, it mystically flies to his hands. If he is KO'd, it vanishes and reappears in his hands when he respawns.

Notes --- If used on the ground, this is like any tether used on the ground; comes out quick, does okay 11% damage, and doesn't really have a ton of knockback. If used when above, below, or facing a ledge, however, it comes out nearly as quickly, and sticks into the ledge. If it collides into a foe along the way, it deals a nice 13%, and knocks them well out of the way. Now, you can grab the spear, which, as we know, is the length of a battlefield platform, so it makes the ledge quite a bit easier to reach. As soon as Orca leaves the spear and stands again on solid ground, he lags up for a second as the spear comes to him. It'll reach him even if he's hit in this time. This attack, like all tethers, can only be used three times before you land on the ground.

Uses --- This isn't the greatest recover in recovery sense, as it doesn't help Orca is he's farther from the edge. However, it's quite versatile; if you way below the ledge and use it, it'll stick in at a downward angle, letting you grab it. It also has some trickier uses; edgeguarding, for instance, as the spear can't be passed through. If they have poor vertical recovery, jump so you're facing the ledge and your back is to them, then go way up high and toss the spear. It'll stick in at an almost vertical angle, and good luck to the foe who can't get high enough to grab the new ledge you've made. Be careful when using a ploy like this, though; it's possible to miss your spear entirely and fall to your own doom.

Thoughts?

Gryphon

Smash Journeyman
Preview session indeed.

Tails Doll still looks pretty neat in concept to me, although I question whether he's overpowered. He doesn't keep his curse charge if he is KO'd, does he? It seems like it might be a bit too easy to just suck up every attack the foe launches against you, but...

MY TURN

This is Orca's Up B. It's a simple concept but has a lot of little details that I need to explain. Is it too wordy? Are there parts I could potentially cut out? Is there any confusion?

Up Special --- Javelin Ledge --- If you use this when you're not facing a ledge, Orca merely extends his spear as far as it can go on a diagonal angle, jabbing foes. When you ARE facing a ledge, however, he hurls it, from whatever angle he was on, directly at it. The act of throwing gives him a small boost in height, like Yoshi's does. The spear, which embeds itself in the ledge, effectively extends it, and can be stood on or grabbed as a regular ledge. If a foe was on the ledge, they are knocked off. As soon as Orca hits solid ground again, he pulls his spear out of the ground, or, if he lands farther away, it mystically flies to his hands. If he is KO'd, it vanishes and reappears in his hands when he respawns.

Notes --- If used on the ground, this is like any tether used on the ground; comes out quick, does okay 11% damage, and doesn't really have a ton of knockback. If used when above, below, or facing a ledge, however, it comes out nearly as quickly, and sticks into the ledge. If it collides into a foe along the way, it deals a nice 13%, and knocks them well out of the way. Now, you can grab the spear, which, as we know, is the length of a battlefield platform, so it makes the ledge quite a bit easier to reach. As soon as Orca leaves the spear and stands again on solid ground, he lags up for a second as the spear comes to him. It'll reach him even if he's hit in this time. This attack, like all tethers, can only be used three times before you land on the ground.

Uses --- This isn't the greatest recover in recovery sense, as it doesn't help Orca is he's farther from the edge. However, it's quite versatile; if you way below the ledge and use it, it'll stick in at a downward angle, letting you grab it. It also has some trickier uses; edgeguarding, for instance, as the spear can't be passed through. If they have poor vertical recovery, jump so you're facing the ledge and your back is to them, then go way up high and toss the spear. It'll stick in at an almost vertical angle, and good luck to the foe who can't get high enough to grab the new ledge you've made. Be careful when using a ploy like this, though; it's possible to miss your spear entirely and fall to your own doom.

Thoughts?

Sounds cool, except the name. It doesn't sound as worthy as the move itself. But that's just me. :laugh:

pensfan728

Smash Apprentice
Tails Doll looks great, although the curse mechanic sounds like it might end up being broken if you're not careful.
Javelin Ledge sounds great as a move, but needs a new name :( But the move sounds great, and if he was in brawl i would totally main him just for that one move's mindgames.

EDIT: Nice picture. I wish i could draw.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Alright, alright, I'll change the name. I was going for something that accurately described it. Blah.

That'll work fantastically, cheap_josh. Great job as always.

And you all know what this means, right? The roster will be up SOON!

Gryphon

Smash Journeyman
PREVIEW ALERT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTlEa6OfbII

Musashi, The Legendary Samurai

Scorching Blade [Forward B Special]: Keeping the B button pressed down, Musashi stabs his katana into ground behind him, holding it with his right hand. With the sword still in the ground, he can run forward, and forward only. The object of the technique is to heat up the katana by dragging the sword along the ground. After a great distance, the katana will be filled with great power. Releasing the B button, Musashi performs a flaming 360 slash that does great damage and knockback. [21%] [Fire]

However, Musashi must keep moving in order to keep the katana hot, and it can prove difficult to charge on stages with short platforming. A five-second run gives Musashi a full burst of heat. If he stops, he loses it. If he slows down, the charge depletes slowly.

What are your thoughts, guys?

Edit: @Rool. I was thinking Javelin's Edge or something. But you're the expert, ya know.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
@K.Rool: I'm not a fan of the 3 different sections, but otherwise I like it. It took me a bit to figure out what you meant by "throwing" the spear though. I gather that, if he's falling toward a ledge, and gets parallel to it, using the move will make Orca thrust straight ahead of him, planting the speartip in the ledge, all the while hanging onto it...right?

@josh: Are you using Flash for those pictures? Or some other vector editor?

IvoryFlame

Smash Journeyman
Did someone say "Preview Session"? Then may I present a scintillating preview called....

THE AWETACULAR ORIGINS OF THE BOMBTASTIC BAG-MAN!!!

The boy who would be called Bag-man was born a poor, poor child at the tender age of 0, and was found parentless in a train car by a coal miner with leprosy. He was sent to catholic school and raised to be a proper gentleman, where he was severely beaten by nuns every day. At the age of 14 he broke out of Catholic School by tricking them into expelling him for biting a girl’s nose off. From there he attempted to enter the lucrative world of fly-fishing, but was unsuccessful.

One night, while our young hero wandered the streets, a friendly homeless man offered him some “Southern Comfort”. Bag-man graciously accepted the warm hug he received, after which the hobo offered B-M some Jose Cuervo straight from the bottle. The hobo, whose name is Tyler Druugden, bestows upon our hero a magical set of plastic bags that were given special properties by an irrational and extremely dangerous government weapon experiment, before the prototype was thrown out in favor of the Rage virus. The bags are super elastic, but stretch the wearers sanity to the limit…only B-M didn’t hear of this because he was busy putting on the bags.

Tyler Druugden taught the newly christened Bag-Man how to fight before dying of Gonorrhea several months after Bag-man met him. Mad with grief, B-M runs manically through his hometown of Municipal City, until he finds some mean derelicts “threatening” a dog that is choking due to a plastic bag around its neck. Bag-man “saves” the dog, and name sit his new sidekick: Bag-boy! Now, armed with all of Tyler Druugden’s knowledge and his assistant Bag-boy, Bag-man fights to protect truth and crinkliness all across the tri-state area for a safer tomorrow and a brighter yesterday.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
@K.Rool: I'm not a fan of the 3 different sections, but otherwise I like it. It took me a bit to figure out what you meant by "throwing" the spear though. I gather that, if he's falling toward a ledge, and gets parallel to it, using the move will make Orca thrust straight ahead of him, planting the speartip in the ledge, all the while hanging onto it...right?
I guess I didn't explain it too well, after all. :p

He lets go of the spear as he throws it. If he's any distance away, he won't be able to grab the extended ledge he's created. It's supposed to be a weakness of his.

I'm just wondering how to be more concise while still mentioning that...

And you don't like three sections??? Granted, this is pretty much the only move I've ever made that needs a lot of description on all three categories...

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm thinking of making Tails Doll keep the Curse mechanic for 2 lives. Also remember that Tails Doll will be insanley light as well.
Oh, and if a move seems broken, tell me, Also the description of each level is something like what you would expect, but it might not be consistent throughout the moveset.

oh, I'm thinking of giving a 15-20 second gap which doesn't let you use Down-b again after the curse level goes up. (the time which the opponent should take most advantage off.)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
If he throws it...then he'd have to have a second jump to get onto his makeshift platform. I don't know about you, but I usually use both my jumps before using my recovery...

The 3 sections thing isn't terrible (for the longest time I had two sections for every move), but...it's just kind of drawn out. Especially the "when to use" thing. That can be summed up in a few words, or just left self-explanatory.

@josh: Bah. I'll keep my money, and keep on using my OpenGL software. If I need vectoring done I'll just boot up Inkscape (and wait for it to crash then boot it up again).

*is poor and can't afford actual software*

Junahu

Smash Ace
Yeah Flash MX, Flash is good for that... and everything else
Flash > Gimp
Flash > Photoshop
Flash > Anything else.

Hell, Flash > Microsoft Office 2007.

Macromedia for life, down with Adobe!
How deep is the hole you're living in?

"Adobe Flash CS3"
Last time I checked, Macromedia wasn't spelt A-D-O-B-E.

but, yeah. Flash is much better than anything else available.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Let's let intranetz settle this!

From Wikipedia:

"Adobe Flash (previously called Shockwave Flash and Macromedia Flash) is a set of multimedia software created by Macromedia and currently developed and distributed by Adobe Systems."

They be the same thing. So yeah, no "down with Adobe" for you, Josh.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
And now... Secrets! Who could they be? Will they come out in MYM 4? Or MYM 5? We don't know for sure.

All I can tell you about those 2 movesets though is that the both will use extremely unique mechanics, though... You'll see yourself, sooner or later~

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Ahem... let's get a couple more posts going here, so I can post the roster on a fresh page! Would you guys rather I stretched the page with it, or link to it? Probably a stupid question...

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Page streeeeetch!!!

Comments? Compliments? Criticism? Death threats? I'll take it all.

Spade: I can't comment. I'm not familiar with the characters. :p

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
@Page stretching Smash collage of characters of doom: Very well done, I like the angle you switched Voldo to. It looks like he's trying to do some sort of crazy acrobatics. The only thing that leaps out at me is that the headless horseman feels much too small, but then again, that's your own character.

@Tails Doll: Good luck balancing him, that's gonna be tough with such a complicated mechanic. Make sure he can't get to the higher levels until he's at high percents. That said, it is very original, and I'm pleased someone's doing the Tails Doll curse internet fad justice. One thing that I'd like elaboration on in there though is. . .Where does the wall that absorbs the attacks show up? You never told me that. Also, you have a few random words at the end of Tails Doll's first paragraph for the curse attack. In any case, looking forward to him.

@Orca up B: I really like it, very good job. Just make sure his mid air jump is pretty good so he can ever actually recover. That said, it is far better then the standard tether, since it slaughters edge hoggers, and I like how well you did that. I especially like all the extra edge guarding uses, it might even be a bit overpowered in the Smash metagame once people perfect it and do it effortlessly. Getting Link, Peach, Bowser, DK, and a lot of other people off the stage = instant loss of stock with that up B. Maybe make it so they can take down the spear if the damage it? Say, people can use their up B to smash through the spear? I just think this match up would be too far in Orca's favor on people with bad recoveries.

@Gryphon's Preview: I like the concept, but 5 seconds is really long for what I presume is a generally speedy character. Did you know warlock punch only takes 2 seconds to charge? That move will NEVER be able to be used effectively, even in casual matches.

Gryphon

Smash Journeyman
@Gryphon's Preview: I like the concept, but 5 seconds is really long for what I presume is a generally speedy character. Did you know warlock punch only takes 2 seconds to charge? That move will NEVER be able to be used effectively, even in casual matches.
I dont think it is a big deal, considering that he is able to move during the charging process. With Warlock Punch, there is lag before AND after, leaving him defenseless

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
Thanks for the ideas Warlord, oh and the wall appears about a third of a stage builder block in front of it, and the wall width way is also the size of a third of a stage builder block.

Many thanks *Goes to update the mechanic (in word)*

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
How deep is the hole you're living in?

"Adobe Flash CS3"
Last time I checked, Macromedia wasn't spelt A-D-O-B-E.

but, yeah. Flash is much better than anything else available.
Let's let intranetz settle this!

From Wikipedia:

"Adobe Flash (previously called Shockwave Flash and Macromedia Flash) is a set of multimedia software created by Macromedia and currently developed and distributed by Adobe Systems."

They be the same thing. So yeah, no "down with Adobe" for you, Josh.
Down with Adobe beacuse Adobe bought Macromedia. And I don't like Adobe. At All.

Awesome picture, K. Rool.

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
Page streeeeetch!!!

Comments? Compliments? Criticism? Death threats? I'll take it all.

Spade: I can't comment. I'm not familiar with the characters. :p
That looks awesome KingK.Rool!!!! Lol, Drake and Josh looks so different from the other characters XD

Thanks for nout making Nightmare cover them with his big head.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Oh thanks alot, Rool. Now I have the ability to scroll left and right with a full screen. great...
Hey, hey, you SAID do both. :p

Beautiful.
Many thanks, Kholdstare!

@Page stretching Smash collage of characters of doom: Very well done, I like the angle you switched Voldo to. It looks like he's trying to do some sort of crazy acrobatics. The only thing that leaps out at me is that the headless horseman feels much too small, but then again, that's your own character.

@Orca up B: I really like it, very good job. Just make sure his mid air jump is pretty good so he can ever actually recover. That said, it is far better then the standard tether, since it slaughters edge hoggers, and I like how well you did that. I especially like all the extra edge guarding uses, it might even be a bit overpowered in the Smash metagame once people perfect it and do it effortlessly. Getting Link, Peach, Bowser, DK, and a lot of other people off the stage = instant loss of stock with that up B. Maybe make it so they can take down the spear if the damage it? Say, people can use their up B to smash through the spear? I just think this match up would be too far in Orca's favor on people with bad recoveries.
Glad you like it, and what I ended doing with Voldo. As for Orca's, yeah, his mid-air jump'll be pretty decent. As for the edgeguarding balance... yeah, you may be right. I'll consider it, just as a balance.

Awesome picture, K. Rool.
Thanks, josh.

I actually had a lot of fun doing this, and now I can pretty much name the whole Top 50, after doing something like that. I plan to repeat it for MYM 4.

EDIT: Thanks, TWILT. Drake and Josh don't really blend in, but they fit pretty easily. Unlike Nightmare, for one.

Gryphon

Smash Journeyman
Hey, hey, you SAID do both. :p

Many thanks, Kholdstare!

Glad you like it, and what I ended doing with Voldo. As for Orca's, yeah, his mid-air jump'll be pretty decent. As for the edgeguarding balance... yeah, you may be right. I'll consider it, just as a balance.

Thanks, josh.

I actually had a lot of fun doing this, and now I can pretty much name the whole Top 50, after doing something like that. I plan to repeat it for MYM 4.
Yeah but I was LYINNG. Duh.

jk

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
@Spade: It's kind-of hard to comment on icons when I don't know who the charcters are. :laugh:

@K.Rool: Epic. That is all.

In other news, I'm finally getting a good deal of work done on the Raptors. If I'm lucky I might have them finished by the end of next week.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Geez, is it just the kind of characters I do or something... All three of mine feel strangely out-of-place...like they don't fit in the picture... Meh.

Still, 'TIS AN AWESOME PICTURE, K.ROOL!! Many props to you.

*gives K.Rool chair, top hat, and Magikarp*

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Yeah but I was LYINNG. Duh.
Liar! *guillotines*

@Spade: It's kind-of hard to comment on icons when I don't know who the charcters are. :laugh:

@K.Rool: Epic. That is all.
Why thank you, H_R. But but... you stole my comment on Spade's icons! *injects lethally*

Geez, is it just the kind of characters I do or something... All three of mine feel strangely out-of-place...like they don't fit in the picture... Meh.

Still, 'TIS AN AWESOME PICTURE, K.ROOL!! Many props to you.

*gives K.Rool chair, top hat, and Magikarp*
Ooooh, top hat! And yeah, your characters were awkward to fit in. Especially Waddle Doo. This outrages me! *crucifies*

Yeah, the picture is really awesome, K.Rool! Would you like a GOLDEN Magikarp, fresh from my bath?
I would indeed. GIVE ME NOW! *um... gets anrgy for no apparent reason and straps into electric chair*

Yes, that's right, I execute those who compliment me.

kitsuneko345

Smash Ace
*sending Sundance lots of apple pies on Pi Day, as
Page streeeeetch!!!

Awesome, Although my entries feel out of place (Delibird, Plusle&Minun). But I did give you

Anyway, I want to know if I have whant it takes to be a Critic for MYM 4. Here a review from MYM 3:

Bowser Jr.
by Snowstalker

Relevance to Character: Bowser does have moves that are in his own games, but he does inherit his father moves as well. All in all, it has enough to garnish here a fairly good score. 8/10

Detail: Even though I said that I like moves that have one sentence in each move, this really gets close to making my blood boil. The absence of percents just hunts the moveset even move. 3/10

Balance: Without the percents in each move, there not much to say about the set's balance itself. Reading this moveset is a pain, but he looks balanced, although you really should try to increase the detail section so I can understand. 4/10

Originality (Standards): The moveset in here has mostly punches, swipes, and bites, with a few kicks and tail hits as a sweet topping. I'm not really fond of the moves being said, but there is enough to good a good score. 3/5

Originality (Specials): There is one "like (insert other character)" move and the others don't to have much of a use. I'll give you props for the side and up special, but seriously: DETAIL HELPS. 2/5

Playstyle: With the lack of description in the movesets (again), this cannot be graded so highly as more detailed movesets can be. Judging from the stats though, He sounds like a fast, small character that can be KO'ed easily if fought correctly. The fast attack speed, however, gives the assumption that he can turn the fight in his favor and keep that streak going. 4/10

Organization: It's a Great White (wall of text), everybody. Although I can read the moveset well, it's only because of the lack of detail that (strangely) helps. The detail did lower your score though, because no color gives an impression of not thought out well. 4/10

Extras: There is enough garish a good amount on the moveset, but really the least you could have done was state that they're extras. (I'm in a good mood for now). +2

Overall: Congrats on being the first Moveset reviewed by Kitsuneko345. But seriously, The moveset isn't half bad. The only gripe is the fact that there's not much detail, which unfortunately affected the other parts as well. 30/60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom