• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MDL0 files from Non-Brawl games

shock44

Smash Journeyman
Really? Why can Volnutt replace him and not Samus then?

Now that I look at it, ROB does have more bones than Volnutt. Odd...
Well I tried Klonoa on Sonic and it froze and I know it's not a bone issue. I think brawl is just picky about stuff.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
CLR0s don't have anything to do with it -- it's an "alpha" channel on the texture. It will not affect the way it looks in-game, but if you want to preview it without it looking partially see-through, you'll have to edit the textures to remove the alpha channels.
How do I remove the alpha channels? Won't that just fill the background with white? And there are areas that are completely transparent, how could it possibly know what colour is supposed to go there if it's controlled by the texture?

Apparently you're right since it worked, but I'm confused.
Forgot to take a screenshot but in his eyes, he has a white cornea, red iris, black pupil, and white shine. However there's only one texture for his eyes - a white square with a circular transparent hole in it.

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
[loh-kay-shuhn] n. The act or process of locating
I figured out how to hex the headers of M&SatOWG's CHR0's. This makes the animations show up in BrawlBox when used with the model previewer.

Whee!

There's probably other stuff that needs to be done before the animations are fully Brawl-compatible, but so far my process seems to work. The resulting animations work with all three model sizes, except for the facial animations -- they don't work with the Small models because their faces don't have any bones to animate.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Whoo! Bubble Bobble Plus uses MDL0s! (This means a lot to me, since I'm a fan of Taito's games.)

Only... either I hexed it wrong (the "outline" material seemed to be missing the "Part3Offset"), or something else is making it not work properly. I froze the game by Falcon Punching him, and I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen. XP

-BigSharkZ-

Smash Lord
Oh, just awesome. I love Bubble Bobble. How did you get WWPacker to work, though? It does not work for me.

dxrkn3ss

Smash Journeyman
I figured out how to hex the headers of M&SatOWG's CHR0's. This makes the animations show up in BrawlBox when used with the model previewer.

Whee!

There's probably other stuff that needs to be done before the animations are fully Brawl-compatible, but so far my process seems to work. The resulting animations work with all three model sizes, except for the facial animations -- they don't work with the Small models because their faces don't have any bones to animate.
You should already have expected me to see this! ant chance you can PM me any animation you get involving amy? Anything can be used because they are real animater animations so I can tweak them and keep the realness in them.

EDIT: Would you like to join my team as the model/animator hexer? I know you haven't done any animations from scratch (I think) and you said you don't know PSA, but what you're doing now is extremely important, and you would definately derserve glory from this project when it is finished. So What do you say?

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
lol Its Bub!!

Yes the game is supposed to freeze when the Captain Falcon Punches You :p

Repost for chance :D
Hey can anybody check DEAD RISING: CHOP TILL YOU DROP if it uses MDL0?
I'd like Frank West, Frank West (Megaman lol) and Adam the Clown in my Brawl XD

Edit: Yeah I know there's the TvC version, but that still leaves Adam the Clown Q.Q

KingDryBones

Smash Cadet
Whoo! Bubble Bobble Plus uses MDL0s! (This means a lot to me, since I'm a fan of Taito's games.)

Only... either I hexed it wrong (the "outline" material seemed to be missing the "Part3Offset"), or something else is making it not work properly. I froze the game by Falcon Punching him, and I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen. XP
OMG! Bub and Bob in Brawl = Epic Nostalgia xD
I'm a really big fan of the Bubble Bobble/Puzzle Bobble/Bust a Move series and i would definitely love to see Bub and Bob in Brawl ^.^
Bub and Bob could be alternate costumes to each other (maybe... since they both look the same anyways).
anyways awesome job for making a piece of my childhood a part of Brawl! ^.^

btw any ideas for a moveset? maybe make them shoot bubbles like in their own games?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
OMG! Bub and Bob in Brawl = Epic Nostalgia xD
I'm a really big fan of the Bubble Bobble/Puzzle Bobble/Bust a Move series and i would definitely love to see Bub and Bob in Brawl ^.^
Bub and Bob could be alternate costumes to each other (maybe... since they both look the same anyways).
anyways awesome job for making a piece of my childhood a part of Brawl! ^.^

btw any ideas for a moveset? maybe make them shoot bubbles like in their own games?
Hmmm. I don't really have any ideas for a moveset, actually. I just wanted to see if it'd work in Brawl. :p

Aaaaand Rainbow Islands: Towering Adventure has MDL0s as well, and they're not compressed like Bubble Bobble Plus's were.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Whoa, Bublun?! That's supremely ****** RandomTBrush. Curious, though - is that cel-shading outline permanent, or will it disappear after being fully-adapted into Brawl?

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
I think that kind of outline is done by putting an inverted model offset around the existing one. You see the outer front of the actual model, and the inner back of the larger, black, surrounding one. You'd have to remove the polygons if you want it out.

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
You should already have expected me to see this! ant chance you can PM me any animation you get involving amy? Anything can be used because they are real animater animations so I can tweak them and keep the realness in them.

EDIT: Would you like to join my team as the model/animator hexer? I know you haven't done any animations from scratch (I think) and you said you don't know PSA, but what you're doing now is extremely important, and you would definately derserve glory from this project when it is finished. So What do you say?
I say "no". No offense to you or any of the other guys on your team, but I'm a busy university student and I don't have the kind of spare time necessary for team commitments.

Don't think I'm being a jerk and keeping valuable information to myself, though. I can send you her FPK file (which has all of her resources inside of it for Ice Skating) and show you how I hexed the animations so that anyone in your group can do it. There are SO many CHR0s to go through (every single animation is split up into multiple pieces, and there are different animations for every Olympic sport on the disc) that the only way you could hex them all in a reasonable time is with multiple people doing it.

I was actually going to put a CHR0 hexing guide into my last post so that ANYONE who wants some Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics animations could get some, before it occurred to me that this might not be the best topic for it. We need a "CHR0 files from Non-Brawl games" thread.

Hey can anybody check DEAD RISING: CHOP TILL YOU DROP if it uses MDL0?
I'd like Frank West, Frank West (Megaman lol) and Adam the Clown in my Brawl XD

Edit: Yeah I know there's the TvC version, but that still leaves Adam the Clown Q.Q
RandomTBush, please add the following disclaimer to the OP:

Wii ports from other game systems do not have MDL0s.

Seriously Kei, I checked that game weeks ago and it does NOT use the MDL0 format. Neither does any other game I've checked that uses assets borrowed from a game on a different console.

And yes, the above disclaimer includes Virtual Console games too. Duh.

ds22

Smash Lord
I want to address something with the resizer Fortwaffles made.

The top one is the model I got from Fortwaffles which he resized with vertex hacking while the bottom one is a similar model resized with the resizer.
See the difference?
I resized some other Naruto EX3 models with the resizer and they also had screwed up faces.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
You can edit the bone hierarchy using Fortwaffles' tool, found here.
Also, this discovery seems vital to Volnutt. Care to share a bit more information on the subject?
Oh, sweet! Thank you. You want to know how to hex edit the NodeId of polygons, or just how the whole thing works in general?

Could someone hex Karas for me? He'd be like the second Marth if he were in. Everyone in TvC has a LOT of moves and such that are needed for Brawl. Double jumping, backwards and forward aerial animations, etc. They're probably the easiest to start with. Zero being the best because he can actually run instead of dashing on the ground.
Wait -- are you able to get animations from TvC? If so, I would really love to know how.

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
No Stoney, just post the guide here. That's why the first post has guides. lol.

We don't need another thread just for CHR0s.
Wait -- are you able to get animations from TvC? If so, I would really love to know how.
Okay, you guys asked for it:

1. In Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, all of the CHR0 files are inside of BRRES files. Open one up in a hex editor (I use Hex Workshop), delete everything that comes before the "CHR0" string, then save the resulting file with the extension ".CHR0". Now open up that file in your hex editor again.

2. The bytes in gray need to be "00000004".

3. The first two bytes in the green section need to be "FFDD". Don't change the last two bytes.

4. The purple bytes show where the definitions header begins (I think that's what it's called, it might be different in animation files). Go to the beginning of the MDL0 header and jump forward that amount of bytes (in Hex Workshop, use Edit > Goto, then put "0000002C" in the text box). The definitions header usually starts with "000004X8" in these files, with X being some random number (in this example it is 00000498). Insert four "FF" bytes before it.

5. Delete the four black bytes.

6. You're done, open the animation in BrawlBox while viewing your model of choice.

Apologies to RandomTBush and anyone else who can actually read this code if my instructions are totally incorrect, this is just the result of what I've gathered from studying RandomTBush's model-importing tutorial and certain patterns in the file structures. It happened to give good results in BrawlBox, so I'm guessing it's good for something. If I'm wrong about anything here, feel free to correct me.

shock44

Smash Journeyman
*still needs help regarding Wii ARC Extractor and other ARC extractor programs not extracting the .arc from Katekyo Hitman Reborn - Dream Hyper Battle*

=p
As far as I know for the ARC extractor all you have to do is put the .arc file in the same folder as the ARC extractor and then drag the .arc file onto the extractor exe.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Okay, you guys asked for it:

1. In Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, all of the CHR0 files are inside of BRRES files. Open one up in a hex editor (I use Hex Workshop), delete everything that comes before the "CHR0" string, then save the resulting file with the extension ".CHR0". Now open up that file in your hex editor again.
:( There aren't any such strings in Zero's .brres. I don't have access to the whole .iso; does anyone know where/how to get animations from TvC?

Good guide, though.

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
:( There aren't any such strings in Zero's .brres. I don't have access to the whole .iso; does anyone know where/how to get animations from TvC?

Good guide, though.
I think we established that TvC doesn't use CHR0 animations. As a result, everything has to be done from scratch...

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
RandomTBush, please add the following disclaimer to the OP:

Wii ports from other game systems do not have MDL0s.

Seriously Kei, I checked that game weeks ago and it does NOT use the MDL0 format. Neither does any other game I've checked that uses assets borrowed from a game on a different console.

And yes, the above disclaimer includes Virtual Console games too. Duh.
Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes W says "hi". It's a port of the PS2 version to the Wii, and it has MDL0s. However, I have revised the statement on the first post (and highlighted Pokémon Battle Revolution so that we won't have more people asking if it has MDL0s or not).
I want to address something with the resizer Fortwaffles made.
*two images of Naruto -- one normal, one screwy*
The top one is the model I got from Fortwaffles which he resized with vertex hacking while the bottom one is a similar model resized with the resizer.
See the difference?
I resized some other Naruto EX3 models with the resizer and they also had screwed up faces.
*obligatory "Good Naruto, you look kind of cool" statement*

Yeah, I noticed that when I tried randomly resizing a few models. That's why the 3rd decimal digit and up are important -- rounding up/down isn't the best idea, but that's Game Maker's fault...

*still needs help regarding WWPacker*
I get it working by dragging the WAD file to the __wwunpacker.bat.

*still needs help regarding Wii ARC Extractor and other ARC extractor programs not extracting the .arc from Katekyo Hitman Reborn - Dream Hyper Battle*

=p
Perhaps it's a different format ARC file? Either way, you're supposed to go to the command prompt, then type "arcman.exe *ARCNAME*.arc", and it should extract to a folder named "arc", and then extracting the *.APP files with U8Tool.

I think we established that TvC doesn't use CHR0 animations. As a result, everything has to be done from scratch...
Yep. Either the *.MOT file or the *.SEQ files store the animations (dunno which one), but they're not CHR0s, and therefore aren't usable.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
While you're online:
How do I remove the alpha channels? Won't that just fill the background with white? And there are areas that are completely transparent, how could it possibly know what colour is supposed to go there if it's controlled by the texture?

Apparently you're right since it worked, but I'm confused.
Forgot to take a screenshot but in his eyes, he has a white cornea, red iris, black pupil, and white shine. However there's only one texture for his eyes - a white square with a circular transparent hole in it.
Still confused as to how it knows what colour to fill the gaps with. Some areas are entirely transparent.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
While you're online:

Still confused as to how it knows what colour to fill the gaps with. Some areas are entirely transparent.
Filling in the gaps with colours won't work. You have to open the files (TGA format keeps the original textures without the transparency!) in a program such as Paint Shop Pro and just delete the alpha channel, or you could just export the textures as BMPs and re-import them immediately afterwards. Either way works (and the latter method is much more convenient).

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
So, Furu Furu Park also uses MDL0s. (That's three out of three Taito games I've checked that have MDL0s!)

...brb, searching for Pocky/Sayo-chan and Sonic Blast Man.

-BigSharkZ-

Smash Lord
That's what I'm doing, RandomTBush. It just says that find.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command and, operable program or batch file. It then closes after saying that three times.

Top Bottom