• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MDL0 files from Non-Brawl games

b2j135

Da Bess Pit
NNID
b2j135
3DS FC
3222-5569-3062
Sad news guys it looks like Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing doesn't use MDL0...the chracters are located in Resources/Racers/*charactersnamehere*.sif and *charactersnamehere*.sig (probably the all star mode models and effects). Well I guess we can work with what we have in M&S@tOWG for now until Kryal finishes the importer. I'll upload a picture of WiiScrubber in a sec.

Edit: uhh what's the best screen capture software?

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman
Sad news guys it looks like Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing doesn't use MDL0...the chracters are located in Resources/Racers/*charactersnamehere*.sif and *charactersnamehere*.sig (probably the all star mode models and effects). Well I guess we can work with what we have in M&S@tOWG for now until Kryal finishes the importer. I'll upload a picture of WiiScrubber in a sec.

could u PM me a link for the "U KNOW" :D

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357

A picture of your computer desktop? Just Print Screen it.

b2j135

Da Bess Pit
NNID
b2j135
3DS FC
3222-5569-3062

So yeah...gotta wait now I guess, man I really wanted to view that Super Shadow model :(

joshl94

Smash Apprentice
i need help
i used fortwaffles mdl0 poly,mat,header,resizer fixer programs so i can make ryu
all of the programs worked fine except the resizer. when ever i use it its just a small black box and then it says not responding.
then i tried a naruto model and it worked fine.
Does the mdl0 resizer just not work on tatsunoko vs capcom models?

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
Alright, Wacka! Thanks for making another one of your excellent tutorials. I'll be checking that out soon.

Now...Blaziken's SpecularDh texture's pretty...interesting. This texture affects the model's darkness level. I've been trying to lighten it ever so slightly, and I think I finally found a good level of darkness...for most stages. It looks fine on Pokemon Stadium 2 and almost all other stages, but it's too dark on Pirate Ship and wayy too light on Battlefield.

NAMQ_DrunkeNFeasT

Smash Journeyman
I figured out how to hex the headers of M&SatOWG's CHR0's. This makes the animations show up in BrawlBox when used with the model previewer.

Whee!

There's probably other stuff that needs to be done before the animations are fully Brawl-compatible, but so far my process seems to work. The resulting animations work with all three model sizes, except for the facial animations -- they don't work with the Small models because their faces don't have any bones to animate.
amy! omg Amy Rose was win in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, I call her to be banned cause of time stop and the AoE :D

I never pick check points, kill Opponent and time stop them :p she is pure win :)

also...

Can you pm me the instructions on how you made the animation in that picture, I mean, the picture is moving!!! I need to know how to do that for future stuff I would like to post

plz send me a pm stoney :)

InTrepidCognito

Smash Ace
GAH! Even with this new fancy way of importing Brawl models, I just CANNOT get my Balloon Fighter to work. It comes in one BRRES with the rest of the data for the microgame for it on WarioWare: Smooth Moves, which is Balloon Trip (I think it's a minigame you unlock and try to get a high score on, if you've ever played WW:SM). I tried removing all models except for BalloonFight_Char_Model.mdl0 and doing the automated hex fixer by FortWaffles, and... nothing. I can open it up and view the Materials, Bones, etc. but it still just shows the bones on model viewer. If someone can help me, please PM me, and sorry for the wall.

Leo Kitsune

Smash Apprentice
*die image die*

So yeah...gotta wait now I guess, man I really wanted to view that Super Shadow model :(
Did you check and see if they weren't just compressed files with MDL0 within or some crazy stuff like that?

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Is there any .lz converter or something to get models from it? I'm trying to extract the models from Final Fantasy III DS for papercrafting purposes...

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
Yeah, use gbalzss. I think thats what its called. Its a little difficult to get models from Final Fantasy 3 though. If you can't figure it out, pm me.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Yeah, use gbalzss. I think thats what its called. Its a little difficult to get models from Final Fantasy 3 though. If you can't figure it out, pm me.
I'll give it a shot.
If I successfully obtain the models, would you like them?

I'll probably try this out tomorrow. TF2 is calling.

InTrepidCognito

Smash Ace
The WarioWare model actually looks pretty nice. Very polished and 3D, which is weird. I'd just have to work on the texture, but that's mah specialty.

joshl94

Smash Apprentice
do you think you could try ryu for me if your not to busy?
i just want to make sure

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
[loh-kay-shuhn] n. The act or process of locating
Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes W says "hi". It's a port of the PS2 version to the Wii, and it has MDL0s. However, I have revised the statement on the first post (and highlighted Pokémon Battle Revolution so that we won't have more people asking if it has MDL0s or not).
Kamen Rider W is the exception, not the rule. I have looked at a LOT of ports, and games that use ported data, over the past month. I did not come to this conclusion lightly.

Ports that DO NOT have MDL0s:
Bully Scholarship Edition
Dead Rising: Chop 'Till You Drop
FFCC Echoes of Time
Okami
Pikmin 1
Pikmin 2
Sam & Max: Season One
Sonic Unleashed
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

That's just from the OP, there are probably other ports I don't own that would also confirm this. Most developers porting something to the Wii just modify their original files to work on the Wii, rather than rebuild assets using Nintendo's Wii formats. It saves the developers both time and money to do things this way, and it makes even more sense if the port comes years after the original game was made, when original raw data files have been lost or deleted (see: Okami).

...But anyway, thanks for refining the OP. Any changes that prevent more people from asking in this thread about whether games we've covered use MDL0s are good changes in my book.

Amy's missing something, if you know what I mean :p
I'm afraid I don't. Care to elaborate?

*Wiiscrubber pic*

Just because the file has an odd extension on the end doesn't mean it cannot contain MDL0s; there's a small chance it might be a new form of compressed file. Try opening one of the files in a hex editor and searching for the following hex values:

"4D444C30" (MDL0, models)
"43485230" (CHR0, animations)
"54455830" (TEX0, textures)
"504143" (PAC, archives)
"4252524553" (BRRES, archives)

If any of those searches gets a result, we'll know there's something in there we can work with. Then it'll just be a matter of unpacking that file format to get at what's inside.

Emeril127

Smash Cadet
has anyone tried to see if that one ninja turtles wii game has MDL0's? Cause i would love to put Raphael on brawl

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
has anyone tried to see if the WiiWare game that just got released 3 days ago, GhostSlayer is in MDLO format? the stages look interesting, even some of the creepy looking bosses would be cool to put into brawl for lets say Simon Belmont to fight against or Leon Kennedy ...

b2j135

Da Bess Pit
NNID
b2j135
3DS FC
3222-5569-3062
Just because the file has an odd extension on the end doesn't mean it cannot contain MDL0s; there's a small chance it might be a new form of compressed file. Try opening one of the files in a hex editor and searching for the following hex values:

"4D444C30" (MDL0, models)
"43485230" (CHR0, animations)
"54455830" (TEX0, textures)
"504143" (PAC, archives)
"4252524553" (BRRES, archives)

If any of those searches gets a result, we'll know there's something in there we can work with. Then it'll just be a matter of unpacking that file format to get at what's inside.
No dice, nothing comes up in Shadow.sif or Shadow.sig, I used HxD if anyone cares.

dxrkn3ss

Smash Journeyman
... though. I can send you her FPK file (which has all of her resources inside of it for Ice Skating) and show you how I hexed the animations so that anyone in your group can do it.
You know sending me the finished result would be good, but if you're offering to show me how to hex them myself, then that works. It is only me on my team so I guess Ill be doing a lot of hexing myself, but it will be worth it in the end.

InTrepidCognito

Smash Ace
GAH! Even with this new fancy way of importing Brawl models, I just CANNOT get my Balloon Fighter to work. It comes in one BRRES with the rest of the data for the microgame for it on WarioWare: Smooth Moves, which is Balloon Trip (I think it's a minigame you unlock and try to get a high score on, if you've ever played WW:SM). I tried removing all models except for BalloonFight_Char_Model.mdl0 and doing the automated hex fixer by FortWaffles, and... nothing. I can open it up and view the Materials, Bones, etc. but it still just shows the bones on model viewer. If someone can help me, please PM me, and sorry for the wall.
Just reposting this...

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Alright, Wacka! Thanks for making another one of your excellent tutorials. I'll be checking that out soon.

Now...Blaziken's SpecularDh texture's pretty...interesting. This texture affects the model's darkness level. I've been trying to lighten it ever so slightly, and I think I finally found a good level of darkness...for most stages. It looks fine on Pokemon Stadium 2 and almost all other stages, but it's too dark on Pirate Ship and wayy too light on Battlefield.
Whoa whoa whoa, are those his animations? D:

Let me haaaalp.

Top Bottom