• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MDL0 files from Non-Brawl games

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Could anyone tell me how to extract a model from a .bin file? There are multiple games that have this type.
The *.BIN files are usually just containers that hold several BRRES files. All you have to do is open it up in a hex editor, find the first "bres", and delete everything before it. For other BRRES files that may be in the BIN, you have to start at the second (third, fourth, etc.) "bres" and delete everything before that.

I have a problem. It seems that even if I hex a model, the AIS model converter crashes when trying to convert it. Anyone know how to fix this, or another way of converting the model?
AiS is really picky with what will work with it, and what won't. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (characters, since props work), New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games and Bubble Bobble Plus have models that won't convert for whatever reason. Klonoa, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (which is odd, because BrawlBox can't preview them), PokéPark, Haruhi, Bleach, Dragon Ball and Furu Furu Park models seem to work.

Those are the only games I've tried with AiS, so I don't know what else will or won't work. Best bet is to wait until Kryal releases the next BrawlBox, so that it will have a proper model exporter. I've had problems exporting Porygon-Z and Shaymin -- they weren't rigged properly when I used AiS with them... :x

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
OH? REALLY? Well this is what happens when to me when I disappear for a few weeks. Any other new developments? Like a bone adder that works for me?
it should work, just you cant add too many bones at once.
My bone adder basically doubles the file size of the mdl0, and repoints the bone data to the copied data area. now since everything else is still pointing to the original data, you can overwrite the copied data for other things with dummy bones, but if you add too many, it overwrites onto strings, and causes problems.
EX.
mdl0 before
bones
poly
vertex
blah
blah
strings

halfway mdl0
bones
poly
vertex
blah
blah
strings
copied bones
copied poly
copied vetex
copied blah
copied blah
copied strings (wich i believe everything refrences from now)

final product is that copied poly, copied vertex, all that copied data is overwritten with new bones, but too many will cause problems as it overwrites data we need.

so try adding a few, then re running it and adding more until you have enough

ds22

Smash Lord
AiS is really picky with what will work with it, and what won't. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (characters, since props work), New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games and Bubble Bobble Plus have models that won't convert for whatever reason. Klonoa, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (which is odd, because BrawlBox can't preview them), PokéPark, Haruhi, Bleach, Dragon Ball and Furu Furu Park models seem to work.
So you didn't get it to work after reposition (repointing) the bones?

shock44

Smash Journeyman
Hey RandomTBush, did you get my PM? I'd like you to help me out with something, please.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
So you didn't get it to work after reposition (repointing) the bones?
I haven't fixed them all yet, as I've been busy with other things. However, the bones I did change seem to be in the right spots now (the shoulder bones are attached to the Spine2 bone, as opposed to being attached to the legs).

Hey RandomTBush, did you get my PM? I'd like you to help me out with something, please.
Yes, I did, but I only just read it a few minutes ago. Send the model my way, and I'll try to fix it.

ds22

Smash Lord
I haven't fixed them all yet, as I've been busy with other things. However, the bones I did change seem to be in the right spots now (the shoulder bones are attached to the Spine2 bone, as opposed to being attached to the legs).
That fixing, how do you do that?
Could be helpful with some other models...

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
That fixing, how do you do that?
Could be helpful with some other models...
It's all setting the bones to their proper parents. At 0x5C bytes into the bone's locations, there are 4-byte values that determine the Parent, First Child, Next and Previous bones, all in multiples of D0. I have to change them all to the proper values to re-link the bones. I'll explain more about it when I'm done repairing Lloyd's bone tree... If it's gonna work when I'm done, that is. D:

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Sorry for the double-post, but...

I haven't repaired the entire bone tree yet (as you can probably tell), but it actually works in BrawlBox now! Just got to fix the scarf and hair bones, then Lloyd is ready.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
It's all setting the bones to their proper parents. At 0x5C bytes into the bone's locations, there are 4-byte values that determine the Parent, First Child, Next and Previous bones, all in multiples of D0. I have to change them all to the proper values to re-link the bones. I'll explain more about it when I'm done repairing Lloyd's bone tree... If it's gonna work when I'm done, that is. D:
Aren't those the exact values fortwaffles' bone modder program edits? If so, it'd make the job a lot easier to use that program rather than hex, I'd bet.

Not sure what you mean by re-link the bones though -- I bet that's a key part of it. I know I'm rather limited in how much I can reorganize Zero's structure (I can't move bones up a level; I can only move them down levels).

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Aren't those the exact values fortwaffles' bone modder program edits? If so, it'd make the job a lot easier to use that program rather than hex, I'd bet.

Not sure what you mean by re-link the bones though -- I bet that's a key part of it. I know I'm rather limited in how much I can reorganize Zero's structure (I can't move bones up a level; I can only move them down levels).
Yes, actually. However, it doesn't want to work with Lloyd's model (it was spewing out random numbers), so I had to do all the modifications using a hex editor. D:

And I mean re-linking as in putting the bones with their proper parent bones, so that Lloyd didn't have his hair bones sprouting from his fingertips, for example.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace

Bone tree's all fixed up now, and animations (being CHR0s) work after correcting the frame time. (Having the animations go on longer than they should makes Lloyd start spazzing out.)

I'm going to test him out in-game, as both a stage (for compatibility checking) and over Link, and I'll let you guys know if it works or not, and how large he is compared to others.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Yes, actually. However, it doesn't want to work with Lloyd's model (it was spewing out random numbers), so I had to do all the modifications using a hex editor. D:

And I mean re-linking as in putting the bones with their proper parent bones, so that Lloyd didn't have his hair bones sprouting from his fingertips, for example.
Ahh, I gotcha. That is rather unfortunate... if you do happen to figure out how to move a bone up one level, I'd love to know. (I'm trying to take one of Zero's many, many extra bones at his feet and put it on his back so I can attach the Z-Saber to it.)

Nice work on Lloyd!

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Lloyd froze the game every time. :(

I believe it has something to do with the fact that he has some bones with extra properties, which is what broke the bone tree in the first place...

There will be one more thing I will try. It'll involve modifying every single bone to remove these extra properties, and that'll involve changing every offset... Ouch.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Ugh, he just doesn't make it easy, does he? It sounds like something that'll be consistent between the rest of the cast I bet and that'd be no fun at all trying to fix all of those even with some instructions from you ._.

But it'd almost be a good thing to see consistency amongst the rest when trying to fix them. It would basically mean you could leave the rest of the ToS2 cast in the hands of other semi-decent hex editors (or even scrub hexers like me if the instructions are considerably specific and nub-friendly) if you gave them step-by-step processes that would be viable for everyone rather than on a case-by-case scenario.

Also, it's absolutely wonderful to hear that the CHR0's work almost right off the bat! The only thing I really want to change is his run animation. I think it looks funky in ToS2 and it shouldn't be hard just to move one of his arms to his side like in ToS1 and keep the legs generally the same.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
asdjkhjkhkdfjaghkjdasghdmasngjkhgiofutyirjkahkjh

So, I completely repaired Lloyd's bone structure by deleting the extra properties for most of the bones, and then fixing up the offsets. When I was renaming them all back to their proper names instead of the gobbledygook that was there, I accidentally "deleted" one of the finger bones, which broke a bunch of values with the rest of them. That, and I forgot to fix a few offsets, so some bones are still improperly linked.

But the broken Lloyd surprisingly worked as a stage, so at least that's something... I'll fix up the model in the morning, as it's 6:16AM right now and I haven't slept yet. I'm turning nocturnal again... @_@

(EDIT: Holy crap, looking back at it, I really DID break his hand -- the vertices are screwed up now, even after fixing the bone positions... I'm gonna have to start all over again... Note to self: Never stay up late working on things like this. You're bound to screw it all up really easily. :()

ds22

Smash Lord
At least now you know what to fix, which saves a bit of time (you really don't have a backup of the model from before you deleted the extra bone properties?).

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
You really don't have a backup of the model from before you deleted the extra bone properties?
This, but I can't quite blame you since you were staying up so unbelievably late :dizzy:
It shouldn't be too much work if you know exactly what you're looking for, right?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Oh, well that was a lot of useless worrying :p
Good to know you got a good place to revert too.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace

There we go! His model's completely fixed up (again), and it works over Pit (it seems like he's just the right size, too!). However, he does have that lighting glitch that a bunch of other characters have, but that's to be expected with characters imported from other games. It should be able to be fixed sometime in the future.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?myznqmkgnwy

The animations and his swords are not included. For anyone planning on making Lloyd playable, you'll have to get those yourself. They shouldn't need all that fixing like I had to do for Lloyd himself.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Excellent work, thank you for the fix! ds22 and I have things planned out so Lloyd fans can expect this proj-err, collaboration to start sometime soon (not making any promises on time periods :p).

Also, I believe the only two swords that Lloyd has are his trademark blades seen on the cover art and the substitute for Material Blade in ToS2.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Also, I believe the only two swords that Lloyd has are his trademark blades seen on the cover art and the substitute for Material Blade in ToS2.
Yep, Lloyd only has two weapon files, just like most other characters. Emil and Marta, being the main characters, have twenty weapons each.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Yeah, all ToS characters in ToS2 have some standard weapon and then they're best weapon from ToS1. Sadly, it would've been really nice if Lloyd already had a model for Material Blades instead of the cheeseball substitute on account of being canon and all that. I guess a vertex hacker could do it.

ds22

Smash Lord
It's amazing!
Thanks RandomTBush!
@ Gamedominator06
I think, now we have the model, we first have to find a character to replace, as for Pit just won't do because of his File Size Limit.

shock44

Smash Journeyman
Yep, Lloyd only has two weapon files, just like most other characters. Emil and Marta, being the main characters, have twenty weapons each.
You're awesome TBush! I'm not trying to be pushy or anything but are you going to try to fix whatever's wrong with that model I sent you, now that you're done with Lloyd?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
It's amazing!
Thanks RandomTBush!
@ Gamedominator06
I think, now we have the model, we first have to find a character to replace, as for Pit just won't do because of his File Size Limit.
Not that we have to use it, but doesn't Riivolution remedy this issue? The only reason I wouldn't want to make people use it is because Dantarion hasn't released his XMLs yet and I'm not sure about the stability of the others. Riivolution just hasn't gotten to streamlined status yet.

I suppose it doesn't quite matter if we can assume that there'll be a better method in the future to replace sound effects (perhaps I could ask Kryal if he could get BrawlBox to read the brsar properly again). Lloyd won't really need any particular articles either besides for Demon Fang maybe but that can be made as a pseudo-projectile with the same effect as Cloud's Down B (just a bit slower).

Do you know which characters we can and can't use?

ds22

Smash Lord
Looking at the amount of bones Lloyd has, he could be placed over every character (although there is a Lloyd PSA for Pit already, just not that advanced because of the File Size Limit).
As for Riivolution, you know that it doesn't work for backups and USB-loader, right?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
You're awesome TBush! I'm not trying to be pushy or anything but are you going to try to fix whatever's wrong with that model I sent you, now that you're done with Lloyd?
I haven't gotten around to it yet, because every time I've tried to download it, MegaUpload says "The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable.".

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Looking at the amount of bones Lloyd has, he could be placed over every character (although there is a Lloyd PSA for Pit already, just not that advanced because of the File Size Limit).
As for Riivolution, you know that it doesn't work for backups and USB-loader, right?
I actually talked to the guy who did the Lloyd PSA on Pit and he agreed that there could be a revamp on the whole moveset in general. When we start this, I'll try to get it settled with others on it. I have a few interesting ideas, particularly Tempest not being a special move.

And yes, I am aware of this. That is a bit of a limitation in using it especially since Brawl code sets are also setup for back-up users and Brawl being dual-layer likes to cause problems for the Wii. I'd like to avoid Riivolution if we can work under the limit safely.

Top Bottom