• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
does anyone know where i can get this

http://meleeconverter.bravehost.com/downloads.htm

TCS file creator (CSP edition): TCS Creator_CSP.bat
Creates *.tcs files for Steelia's character selection portrait pack. Only works with _8+1 and _9+2, and won't work with the regular _14 etc.

the link doesn't work when i try to download it

revel8n

Smash Cadet
Progress Continues...

Still more flags and transforms to sort out, as a lot of this is still hard-coded, but things are moving along, slowly but surely...

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ *_*
OMG NICE revel8n! XD That's too cool. I know this is an obvious question, but with those models, we could also use them to preview textures, right? When the time comes, anyway. :)

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
i really wanted to put a capsule corp logo on his shoulder but the image gets stretched to all hell there and also on the top part of his jacket. so i put it on his collar where its still gets stretched any advice other wise? if not i'll upload the dat soon on an edit

By thedekunut at 2010-10-15

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Does anyone have Project Melee ISO v2 movie opening with out the need to download his entire ISO (The computer I am using till I get mine fixed is incapable of downloading it.) Just the opening would be nice. Thanks in advance.

revel8n

Smash Cadet
^ *_*
OMG NICE revel8n! XD That's too cool. I know this is an obvious question, but with those models, we could also use them to preview textures, right? When the time comes, anyway. :)
Yes, that should be possible. Although like i said there are some flags related to texture settings i still need to work out for every texture to look correct at the moment. Certain textures are still improperly scaled due to this. Then there are also the flags necessary to distinguish the low-poly versions of the characters from the hi-poly data, as both are visible currently.

i was thinking i might make a simple branch of this that would export information on the textures and their placements in the meantime. That way you wouldn't need to export things from dolphin, etc, which i currently am not able to do for some reason (haven't really looked into why dolphin never seems to work for me, probably something stupid/simple, heh).

Hope to have more sorted out at some point, will have to see how things go.

smakis

Smash Ace
just finished an idéa i had a ton of pages back, made it a bit easier to remember the tournament rules, the ruleset is replacing the intro movie until sleepy (or someone else) figures out how to place it over the hpt movie ^^

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Please Help

I think I have made my first texture but I am not sure. I used GIMP to edit the images that I got from S. texture dump post and then clicked on the text converter.

However I do not have dolphin emulator on my computer, can someone plug this in to there dolphin emulator to see if it worked?

ComoSandbag Beta: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LBXZ0035

If it did not work or it did not change at all what did I do wrong? What do I need to do different?

Gardevior

Smash Lord
just finished an idéa i had a ton of pages back, made it a bit easier to remember the tournament rules, the ruleset is replacing the intro movie until sleepy (or someone else) figures out how to place it over the hpt movie ^^

this would be so much cooler if the ruleset were correct.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
I think I have made my first texture but I am not sure. I used GIMP to edit the images that I got from S. texture dump post and then clicked on the text converter.

However I do not have dolphin emulator on my computer, can someone plug this in to there dolphin emulator to see if it worked?

ComoSandbag Beta: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LBXZ0035

If it did not work or it did not change at all what did I do wrong? What do I need to do different?
i got this. this is where you would see it right?

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Thanks. That is odd he was supposed to be green and leave covered. What did I do wrong? Thanks for helping me TheDekuNut :). What do I need to do to fix the texture?

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
you'll need to tell us what you did step by step

1. you acquired the .dat and tga
2. you edited and saved the tga with gimp (i use gimp)
3. you created a tpl with texconv
4. you either inserted the data from the tpl into the dat manually with a hex editor row 0000040 all the way down copy and paste in the correct placement, or you used the tpl_insert program.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Wait...that is more steps then what I did >_< I think I really screwed up here.

Here is what I did...

1) Downloaded the unmodified texture dump.

2) Opened up the file and Edited the tga image file with GIMP.

3) Double Clicked on the file which I believed to be the text converter file. A black screen with white numbers and letters appeared and did its thing automatically.

And I thought I was done, sorry for all this trouble this is my first attempt at making my own texture.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
i'm new to this also and i've been doing it several ways mostly the "old school' ways in the guide so that i could understand what is going on. Did you click on TexCon.bat? sometimes you need to run these through a command prompt to get them to work correctly. i'm sure there could be a program that Completely automates applying hacks but i haven't found it yet. I'm pretty sure Godfed is still making one. From here I'm not sure what to tell you other than do it the long way. maybe someone else can tell us both the most current method.
i found this video helpful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg8Rbf0Te4g

smakis

Smash Ace
Wait...that is more steps then what I did >_< I think I really screwed up here.

Here is what I did...

1) Downloaded the unmodified texture dump.

2) Opened up the file and Edited the tga image file with GIMP.

3) Double Clicked on the file which I believed to be the text converter file. A black screen with white numbers and letters appeared and did its thing automatically.

And I thought I was done, sorry for all this trouble this is my first attempt at making my own texture.
that textconv batfile creates your tpl files, those files needs to be inserted into the original dat file. open up the dat and all you tpl files in a hex editor, check the notepad document for placements and start copy pasting =P

also I seem to have some trouble editing sound effects, I followed the guide, got my dsp, found the correct offset (my dsp was one hex shorter than the original, and it ended right where it was supposed to, so im sure it's the right one). After that I found the offset for the decoder (1c-3c), copy pasted that aswell and gctooled it. But once the game starts it still says GO (even though there should be no hex of go left =S)

Steelia

Smash Champion
also I seem to have some trouble editing sound effects, I followed the guide, got my dsp, found the correct offset (my dsp was one hex shorter than the original, and it ended right where it was supposed to, so im sure it's the right one). After that I found the offset for the decoder (1c-3c), copy pasted that aswell and gctooled it. But once the game starts it still says GO (even though there should be no hex of go left =S)
Just a hunch, but you probably edited the wrong language. Assuming you have an NTSC Melee, there should be a folder called "us" inside the "audio" folder... Now look for the audio file of the same name as the one you edited. THAT's the one you want. :)
(Unfortunately, doesn't guarantee the same placements/size as in the Japanese audio, so you'll need to find its location again. U: )

smakis

Smash Ace
^

was indeed the error >.<, one of the soundfiles said jigglypuff (im always editing pal =P, and we have 5 languages xD), so I assumed i had the right one. Will try again with the correct nr_name this time ^^

edit: works perfect now, you are awesome steelia <3

smakis

Smash Ace
me again (the problem child rofl)

I can't find the offset for game, tried creating the original tpl to compare the bytes but no luck (that has NEVER worked for me ^^)

I also wonder how you got rid of the "nintendo's allstar..." and "super smash bros melee" textures in your opening movie sleepy?

@ dragoon fighter

the texture freezes the game, you probably pasted the hex in the wrong location =S

smakis

Smash Ace
upload the tgas, ill see if i can hex it for ya

or if someone else do it, im going to bed now x)

revel8n

Smash Cadet
@Dragoon: Not sure what you pasted in that file, but you overwrote a portion of the file header. Also are you pasting the tga data or the converted tpl data into the file? Considering the file header is 0x20 (32) bytes and vertex data is usually located at the beginning of the data block for players, you are rarely going to have texture offsets that early in the file data.

Also your file should not grow in size, which you can compare against the first 32-bit value in the file data which happens to be the file size.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
guhh smakis i'm so sorry i keep delaying looking at it.
i just got back from a huge tournament and i have a billion videos to upload!
maybe by wednesday i'll finally have free time ;-;

smakis

Smash Ace
there is absolutely no pressure sleepy =)

just being able to put it over htp would be so slick, checking the tutorial for the rules... not only does it suit better, but you can also go see it whenever you want ^^

also again, anyone that knows the offset for GAME?

@ dragoon

you had forgotten to index the tga files, I don't really understand the whole 16 lines, max 128, so I only managed to hex the front lol, when i add the back the game crashes >.<

icyrvnd

Smash Cadet
just a heads up;

on steelia's post, with all the tpl dumps and stuff, the green marth is all messed up with changed/wrong names and ****
black marth is alright though, i just checked

edit:

recolor/original

:o

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
i just wondering is there a way to edit the time variable somehow for pokestadium, so it doesn't change at all? ;) even with yoshi story's randall movement lol

I've seen the mushroom kingdom mod with no side platforms and blocks, hella impressive

just wondering if you can modify variables :)

nuro

Smash Lord
i just wondering is there a way to edit the time variable somehow for pokestadium, so it doesn't change at all? ;) even with yoshi story's randall movement lol

I've seen the mushroom kingdom mod with no side platforms and blocks, hella impressive

just wondering if you can modify variables :)
I've been working on just that.

There are 5 files used for pokemon stadium. GrPs.dat and GrPs1-4.dat. GrPs.dat is the default level but GrPs1-4.dat are the files for the transformations.

There are two methods to get the stage balanced. Find the code where it activates the stage transformation and mess around with it to somehow get it to not transform without crashing or find the code and replace the transformations of rock and fire with water or grass.

Finding the code is a matter of tinkering with the hex in GrPs.dat a lot and being lucky enough to land on the appropriate line that you're looking for. GrPs.dat is huge and I haven't had the time to go through it all.

I labeled the files that correspond to the transformations.

GrPs2.dat (grass pokemon stadium), GrPs1.dat(Fire), grPs3.dat(water), and grPs4.dat(Rock).

My first approach to this was to just replace the fire and rock files with the grass file by simply overwriting the files but that caused a crash as soon as the transformations were about to load. The reason why testing this is so difficult is because the transformation of Ps only happens 1 minute after you've started playing on that stage, so trial and error is time consuming.

It crashes when GrPs.dat tries to jump to the line in the rock (or fire) file that loads the transformation. It finds a random line in the grass file and freezes.

I think a simple approach to this would be to find the person who figured out how to get Pokemon stadium 1 to not to transform in brawl and ask him what he did and see if we can emulate that into melee. The hex for the two files should be similar or identical.

I haven't been to heavy on the brawl hacks which is why I haven't bothered to look yet. Plus I've been getting sidetracked by other things.

Hope that helps.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
@nuro:

actually...
brawl isn't as similar to melee as I thought it was...

I'm the only one I know of so far studying both games :/
correction: Milun's just getting into it...

but yea...
eg: melee verts vs brawl verts

melee: 16bit '0000 0000 0000'
brawl: 32bit '00000000 00000000 00000000' (some can be 16bit though)

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ It's similar enough for the guys working on Project M to remake the clones of Falco-to-Fox and Ganondorf-to-Captain Falcon in Brawl... from what I've seen. Shame they aren't closer, though. Looks like they weren't as lazy porting as I thought. D:

nuro

Smash Lord
some can be 16bit though
Maybe there is still hope. At the very least it would be helpful to know how the transformation statement was written and I'm pretty sure whoever figured it out on the brawl thread would know what type of situation we have. For example if we had to change a variable it would be to look for the segments with 'FF 38' (or was it '38 FF'?) that combo is always surrounded by heaps of '00's' and you'll see multiple of them in the same column of the hex editor. That pretty much means there's a variable. If you change some of the Hex that follows them (not the '00's', anything but them) it will change one of the stages variables. Of course that is assuming it is a variable we have to change. I'm not sure what the actual transformation statement looks like.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
well you see...

unlike melee's dat files, mdl0 files literally have a header for everything
this is also including the 11 groups in the relocation table
(there's not always 11 groups though)

another thing is (not that you'll ever use it) the relocation offsets in mdl0 files are 16 bytes long while only 4 bytes in melee's...

faces are pretty similar...
but not entirely...
havn't looked at face data in a while and need a memory refresh :/
(I'm not even sure as to what the values even mean anymore)

32bit hex can be transformed into 16bit

use struct.unpack( >f , int( *32bit hex* , 16)) to get the float()
and use struct.pack( >h , int( *16bit hex*, 16)) to get the hex you need
^(not sure if those functions are correct) <:/

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
rats, they really weren't as lazy :(

i'm glad we have the interest that we do in this thread, though!

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
This is killing me, I'm sorry since apparently music hacks are so easy I must be a complete ****ing idiot or something.

Every time I change a wav from 48,000 hz or 44,000 hz to 32,000 (which it has to be, right?) in Sony Sound Forge, the song gets slowed down drastically. I can get the song in the game but... Why would I want it in slow motion? So what am I doing wrong with this? I tried to do it as per Sleepy's guide but I have no idea what is going wrong.

Please help :/

Top Bottom