• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest Circuit Championship Results 1/17/09

Vayseth

Smash Master
Bowyer, take it from a guy who sandbags in MMs himself. Domo was sandbagging as clear as day and was deliberately testing me. I've done the same thing dozens of times. A top 3 placer doesn't go up to someone he could theoretically play in the finals and give away his strategies in a $1 money match; he was sandbagging. Our MM was basically a dumbed down version of what we'd actually be doing.
But the MM was after the tournament right? No reason to.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
No, it was during the tournament. Domo still had matches, according to Bowyer.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Truly good players don't need to sandbag in MM's. They can play 5 MM's right before a tournament match, play the match and still win. It's being able to read, adapt, and outpredict your opponent.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Truly good players don't need to sandbag in MM's. They can play 5 MM's right before a tournament match, play the match and still win. It's being able to read, adapt, and outpredict your opponent.
to each his own...speak for yourself not everybody else

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
But the MM was after the tournament right? No reason to.
No, it was during the tournament. Domo still had matches, according to Bowyer.
Domo still had to play but I was well out of the tourney... so I couldn't play him in the tourney and OS was playing Anther at the time so he wouldn't be watching. There was no point in hiding ****.

dmac

Smash Champion
after reading about 75% of the thread for delicious dramas, i gotta say brawl is pretty neat. watchin vids of it is surprisingly interesting, and the fact that there still really isn't an established pecking order, people like to start fights! or maybe its cause in melee people had been seeing each other for years and got buddy buddy with everyone... anyways, cool stuff good job domo on 3rd :3

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Coming from a truly good player, you're wrong.

Truly good players use whatever advantage they can get... and reading your opponent in advance helps a lot.

Also, Lain gets me.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I do what I can to win or improve my play to win better in friendlies, MMs, whatever. If the other guy wants to hold back for some "competitive advantage" or whatever that's fine by me, because I won't even be in the tournament most of the time. As far as I'm concerned, I'm having more fun playing my heart out than they are trying to be devious for a matchup they're apparently concerned enough about to not even give a good game.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
I do what I can to win or improve my play to win better in friendlies, MMs, whatever. If the other guy wants to hold back for some "competitive advantage" or whatever that's fine by me, because I won't even be in the tournament most of the time. As far as I'm concerned, I'm having more fun playing my heart out than they are trying to be devious for a matchup they're apparently concerned enough about to not even give a good game.
Same goes for me pretty much, except the not being in the tournament part.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
rofl I'm not good enough to bother with mindgames like sandbagging a MM to trick someone for a later tournament match.

I mostly just try to win all the time, and fail about 50% of the time.

QUIVO

Smash Master
I love it when OS looks at my controller to see my DI for throws.
I remember last tournament he was trying to use his peripherals so I would just DI however.

You crack me up overswarm.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
ITT Sandbagging:

I don't really care if you sandbag against me. I'd be disappointed if it were true, as I just want to play the game to its fullest, but at the end of the day... I still won. If you want to sandbag against me, be my guest, but no johning about it afterward. If you think you may need to john about it later, then don't sandbag in the first place.

Besides, if one person is sandbagging and the other not, what advantage do they really gain "hiding" anything? More than likely it's not actually going to help anyway. They're too busy sandbagging to see if their counter-strategy really works, it's mere speculation until it happens in a "real" match. They're not challenging the opponent to their fullest, so how do they know the opponent can't kick it up a notch when they do next time? Besides, anyone good enough to beat you in-tourney that you'd sandbag against immediately beforehand in MMs/friendlies is likely not going to get sucked in anyway. :/ Ultimately, it just makes you look like a **** for throwing games and discredits your actual skills because you're not winning games you should be winning.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
ITT Sandbagging:

I don't really care if you sandbag against me. I'd be disappointed if it were true, as I just want to play the game to its fullest, but at the end of the day... I still won. If you want to sandbag against me, be my guest, but no johning about it afterward. If you think you may need to john about it later, then don't sandbag in the first place.

Besides, if one person is sandbagging and the other not, what advantage do they really gain "hiding" anything? More than likely it's not actually going to help anyway. They're too busy sandbagging to see if their counter-strategy really works, it's mere speculation until it happens in a "real" match. They're not challenging the opponent to their fullest, so how do they know the opponent can't kick it up a notch when they do next time? Besides, anyone good enough to beat you in-tourney that you'd sandbag against immediately beforehand in MMs/friendlies is likely not going to get sucked in anyway. :/ Ultimately, it just makes you look like a **** for throwing games and discredits your actual skills because you're not winning games you should be winning.
What a Noob....:psycho: try sandbagging and see if you have the same outlook on it pimp!

BIG C

Smash Master
What a Noob....:psycho: try sandbagging and see if you have the same outlook on it pimp!
i've been playing smash competitively for about 5 years now, I have never actively sandbagged someone. as in i have never purposely played worse than I would in tournament. Friendly play is different though I get more ballsy and go for dumb stuff a lot more. at SAVII a few years back I sat down and played QDVS in friendlies for prolly about an hr and did not win a match. I played him in the tournament and beat him.

now i wasn't sandbagging him It's just I play differently in friendlies. this i can see happening but actively sandbagging is totally a douchebag move.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
To each his own...But don't be the judge of something if you haven't went through it...
And don't call it a douchebag move when smart players do what benefits them to win...

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Whether or not it's to their benefit, which is questionable in itself, it's still a douchebag move unless you're playing someone's little sibling and letting them win for encouragement.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I always considered sandbagging not trying as hard.
To a lot of people, "sandbagging" = "not playing Meta Knight"

That's the impression I get at least, from those "play to win" philosophies.

KY_Des

Smash Ace
*second in singles points*

Bowyer just insulted everyone in the MW but Anther XD

It'd make sense though. He's prolly bitter that they placed higher.
ROFLMAO JFDKLASFSDFD
Overswarm's my hero.

I also find it amusing that this thread became a debate about sandbagging lol.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
KY, people like to complain. Just get used to it.

There are only a few people in the smash community I'd consider "friends" that I don't routinely see. Everyone else is just someone I see from time to time and is expendable. I don't care about their feelings when it comes to sandbagging... it helps me when I MM against someone and am able to test a new CP or a new strategy while seeing their CP, so I do it.

Legan

Smash Lord

There are only a few people in the smash community I'd consider "friends" that I don't routinely see. Everyone else is just someone I see from time to time and is expendable. I don't care about their feelings when it comes to sandbagging... it helps me when I MM against someone and am able to test a new CP or a new strategy while seeing their CP, so I do it.
^^ Ouch
10hurts

Guess theres no point in sandbagging any of our future matches than OS.
Im also pretty flattered that you considered me a potential threat :).

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord

Everyone loves Blood Hawk. No johns.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You play a character that is unfamiliar to the umpteenth degree, you've been EXTREMELY dedicated to the character, and I hadn't played you forever. Plus, you were in my bracket and beat an MK first round. Sounds like a threat to me. :)

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
*second in singles points*

Bowyer just insulted everyone in the MW but Anther XD
lol, I don't really think that matters much. I think most people in the MW already feel deeply embarrassed that you placed so high at the champs... deeply, deeply, embarrassed.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
lol, where was that attitude when we were discussing how I was better than you? :)
You. Where YOU were discussing. I'm pretty sure everyone else was impressed with Domo. i remember talking about him in the car on the way back a few times, he's a good kid and just needs more OOS experience. He's GOOD.

You I can't remember.

Top Bottom