• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest Circuit Championship Results 1/17/09

Domo123

Smash Journeyman
someone who jus wanted to see if they were good or really jus didnt care quivo. and its a dollar. a single dollar but i learned my lesson as i said and it aint happening again. It would never happen in a $10.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
I know someone who Sandbags in money matches...I'm not going to tell you who....but that specific person gave me the brake down of the reason and it makes sense hehehe!!!! Oh and that person happens to a really good player...no more hints hehe....

P.S. I have the Best Kirby in the Midwest.....

QUIVO

Smash Master
I know who it is ybm.. it does make sense

Ive actually sandbagged in a mm or two, but only because i knew i'd win or wanted to see their styel

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
someone who jus wanted to see if they were good or really jus didnt care quivo. and its a dollar. a single dollar but i learned my lesson as i said and it aint happening again. It would never happen in a $10.
dude, I warned you that the MM was because most people thought I was better than you and the MM was to find out... and if you were willing to MM for more money, then why did you say you only could do it for a dollar?... and seriously, why are you shocked that people think I'm better than you after I wrecked you and they thought I was better after I already placed 33rd and before I played you in the MM???

edit: It's one thing to sandbag before a tourney, when you want to see first hand how they play without giving away all of your tricks and such, but it's pointless to sandbag against someone who is out of the tournament and especially when the point of the MM is find out who's better.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Because Midwest ***** at everything imaginable.
But I keep hearing from everyone that the midwest sucks compared to California, MD, NY, Florida, Virginia, etc.

:[
i will f u up with Kirby!!!!
Me too!

ill be at the next circuit event, i bet i missed alot of competition.
Um, what the hell is this?

You appear to have a Snake icon and a Snake signature.

Last I checked, your Ness was really good.

Also last I checked, Snake was an extremely lame character like Meta Knight, while Ness isn't (as much >_> **** Backthrow)

What happened D:

P.S. I'm the best Kirby in the MIDWEST
P.S. I have the Best Kirby in the Midwest.....
No me!!1111eleventy-one

Kel

Smash Master
I've got grand finals on my youtube account. youtube.com/papayasown

we should all post our vids in the video thread. There were a lot from this tournament, so we should compile them into one big thread.

I don't get what the hub bub is about being "the best MK".
-MK is the best character in the game, so if someone was playing him to his full potential, he should win every tournament. Not some mid tier like Pikachu.
-There are a lot of people that play MK/ are picking him up now. A week ago I'd never even heard of Domo, but IMO he's one of the best MKs I've played now. Same goes for anyone that I could meet next tournament. I never rule out that someone could be good. Especially with a character as easy to master as MK.
-Just because your local area thinks you're the best at a character, doesn't mean it's true. People from Cincinnati were sure I was the best MK in the MW too. They also thought I had the best peach and marth. I thought it too until I met Rowan (his peach is amazing). And the same will be true until I see a good Marth (if shaeden entered more tournaments I'm sure he would be). I didn't even know MI was doing power rankings until Bowyer mentioned them....5,000 times. Bowyer was the only one talking about them, and he did it A LOT. It's cool to be proud of how good you are. But come on, it's NOT that big of a deal. You aren't even the best, you're the THIRD best. And it's only in a state.
-People were having off days. No johns, but it's true. I, in no way, doubt that Bowyer could have been off that day. But what about the others? I was in the finals of the random tournament and didn't sleep until 6. The night before that (Thursday) I got 5 hours of sleep because I have school early. So, by the time the finals were over, I had been awake for 22 hours (after 5 hours of sleep), then went to bed from 6-9, adding 3 hours. I then had to wake up (because SP wanted long john silvers and people talk loud) early and play the tournament. It was my fault that I was tired, so I didn't complain or John. I was having a VERY off day. I couldn't think straight for most of the day. Domo beat me FAIR AND SQUARE. I don't assume he's better or worse than me. I just assume that he's very capable of beating me, and that's he's a good player. Everyone can have their own johns, but results are what matter in the end.

As of now, Bowyer, you're 3rd in MI, according to whatever system you guys use. That doesn't mean that you're better than Domo because of one match, and THIS IS WHY POWER RANKINGS ARE DUMB. MW has never really done power rankings because feelings get hurt, people get E-peens, and rankings are often biased. We tried for a stint in Melee, but usually people just ended up not caring (as they should). Rankings don't mean anything in a scene that can change so rapidly.

why don't you guys just stop worrying about who's better and let tournament placements speak for themselves (and stop spamming this thread [although it is super entertaining]).

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
I didn't even know MI was doing power rankings until Bowyer mentioned them....5,000 times. Bowyer was the only one talking about them, and he did it A LOT.
I only mentioned it online and when someone was saying that I deserved to get 33rd because I suck... There were other people mentioning it at the tourney and it was brought up in order to not **** me over in bracket seedings... in any case, mentioning it was always to serve a point, not to just brag all over the place, sorry if it seemed that way.

Domo beat me FAIR AND SQUARE. I don't assume he's better or worse than me. I just assume that he's very capable of beating me, and that's he's a good player.]).
Just like I wrecked Domo FAIR AND SQUARE :) but he fails to realize that :) and only made himself look bad by claiming that he sandbagged his heart out because he didn't care about winning and making himself look better than me in a mm held to help determine who was better... but that is by no means the only reason that I and other people think I'm better... if anything, it's mainly because his strategy isn't very good in the ditto and he has a lot of holes in his game.

tl;dr: the mm is not the only reason, it just helps.

MW has never really done power rankings because feelings get hurt, people get E-peens, and rankings are often biased. We tried for a stint in Melee, but usually people just ended up not caring (as they should). Rankings don't mean anything in a scene that can change so rapidly.
I don't think anyone actually cares about the MW power rankings because nobody plays each other often enough to know.

(and stop spamming this thread [although it is super entertaining]).
eh, our discussion is the only reason people are still posting often in this thread ;)

MachinegunNorm

Smash Lord
lol bowyer was having a really bad day. My fox beat him a few times and i know that wouldn't normally happen.

also i'd like to see domo try to beat lain's IC because i know he lost to them but then lain went DDD the next two games that set for some reason. silly lain

KY_Des

Smash Ace
This is why Kel is smart. And Bowyer you've mentioned power rankings AT LEAST 5 times in this thread. No johns.

As Kel said, skill levels jump up and down too quickly for rankings to remain accurate. On top of this fact, being above someone in a power ranking doesn't mean the person below you can't beat you. On top of THAT, power rankings tend to be more of a popularity contest to begin with.

**** RANKINGS!

why don't you guys just stop worrying about who's better and let tournament placements speak for themselves
Domo placed higher :laugh:

EDIT
also i'd like to see domo try to beat lain's IC because i know he lost to them but then lain went DDD the next two games that set for some reason. silly lain
Actually Lain used ICs game 1 and lost. He beat Domo game 2 with D3, and then lost the third game with D3.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
i was third in the power ranking for like 2 weeks (after hyper viper beam) ......i didnt go to the next tournament then i was not in the list anymore lol

Domo123

Smash Journeyman
kel u are like one of my favorite ppl. thank u for that post u said it better than i ever could. i believe the same as u that jus cause u win once doesnt mean your better than someone it jus means u won. like ppl was sayin wow u beat lain and i didnt wanna talk about it cause it dont mean ****. i won 2-3 faster than he did. so wat... wat if he won the next 10 am i still better. no its a match... its a game.... moving on. kel when is the next circuit event?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
...umm since when does the placing of a single tourney prove who's better... you just said it yourself, just because NL beat M2K doesn't mean he's better... and in tourneys, two people pretty much don't play against the same people...

but yeah... I guess I'll give you a chance to redeem yourself with a mm the next time I see you. But until then, the title's mine :p :)
Bowyer, you're probably the worst MK in the midwest that actually mains MK and is considered a viable tournament player. Just sayin'.

*poke* *poke* *poke*

I do'nt know what you guys are takling about anyway. You're arguing about who is the second best metaknight. Domo would obviously have wiped the floor with you that day in tournament, of that there is no doubt. Who cares if you can beat him when you're fully prepped, rested, not hungry, perfect temperature, perfect mood? You're not, and you didn't allow yourself to be.

I wear turtle beach headphones or an ipod when I play. Why? I went to a tournament and people screamed at me when I was playing against Tink. An entire room full of people saying "You suck OS!" and "Go Tink!"; the two or three people on my side remained mostly silent. That's bad for your game. Now I hear Zach scream in my ear things like "war within a breath; it's that or death". Whose fault is it that I got affected by other people screaming? Mine. Who fixed it? Me.

I once lost a tournament match simply because my hands were cold. I remember clearly being unable to move my hands as I'd like. Now, when it is cold, I wear gloves. If I do not have gloves, I run my hands under hot water for a few minutes until they are warm and then make sure I can move them properly. I also routinely keep my hands in my pockets or under my armpits to keep them warm. Whose fault was it that my hands were cold? Mine. Who fixed it? Me.

I once couldn't get any sleep because it was ridiculously cold and I did not have a pillow. I expected to lay down on a couch or a floor somewhere with my blanket and be fine. I was not. I now take an actual sleeping bag and have a hoodie in my backpack I can sleep in as well. If I need to, I can use my jacket or a hoodie as a pillow. I also have an emergency blanket and pillow in my car "just in case". I used to also have issues going to sleep because I was having toooo much fun! Now I say "screw all y'all" and go to bed while everyone is up having fun. I'm there to win, and I get to go to sleep. I don't stretch my day out as long as possible and then get upset when I'm woken up "too early"; I should have gone to bed earlier in the first place! Whose fault is it when I was tired? Mine. Who fixed it? Me.

I've been hungry at who knows how many tournaments... but not anymore. I bring plenty of food for all, both healthy and calorie-rich foods like Snickers bars, not to mention two powerades and two monsters. I also generally buy an extra sandwich when we eat the day before and eat that sandwich cold. Whose fault is it when I was hungry? Mine. Who fixed it? Me.

The list goes on and on, but you get the idea. Bowyer, there is no such thing as an "off" day. You have complete control of your body as long as you recognize what is important in advance. Having trouble sleeping? Didn't have ample time to eat? Temperature not right? In a bad mood? Your fault. Get over it. If you can't accept it, you're forever be a second tier player because while you claim your performance is based on something OTHER than your skill... whether it be an "off" day or some random ailment.... you're not taking responsibility.

I got second. In tournaments prior to the championships I didn't practice at all, never playing the game beforehand because I was losing interest. I wanted money though, so I just used MK for easy winning with Joshu. I did win with Joshu. A lot. People thought I was slipping though... getting odd places in singles without any money, huge upsets, etc., etc.... and there's no excuse for it. I didn't practice, so that is where I end up. For this tournament I prepared, and I got second. Domo also obviously prepared, and he nearly got second. I still consider myself better than Domo, but not by enough to where I'd be surprised if Domo placed higher than me. Domo needs a bit more experience (if you think your suicide was an "accident", it wasn't; you made a mistake and I punished you for it by grabbing the ledge) in tournament play against new players and he'll soon be the powerhouse he knows he can be.

You, however, did not place highly. I have never seen you place highly in any of the circuit events. I've placed in the top rankings at basically every tournament I've gone to and have never walked away empty handed. Don't go around saying "don't look at the tournament results for my skill" when tournament results are all that matter.

As for money matches, no one cares. Domo goofed off in his MM against me and I 2 and 3 stocked him. Maybe a blind man couldn't see it, but he was testing the waters pretty hard. I did the same thing against Legan, looking to see what his mystery CP was (low tiers always have one) only to ban it in the set. Y.b.m. was referencing me. :p

^^^^^
test the waters, then dive in

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Michigan power rankings are power rankings for people... in Michigan. I'm not sure how it'd be relevant out of state, but whatever. That said, I don't really remember seeing Bowyer talking about them, but I guess I've only been skimming around in here and picking up on the heated arguments because they're delicious.

You, however, did not place highly. I have never seen you place highly in any of the circuit events. I've placed in the top rankings at basically every tournament I've gone to and have never walked away empty handed. Don't go around saying "don't look at the tournament results for my skill" when tournament results are all that matter.
I've never seen Bowyer enter a Brawl Midwest circuit event until this one. :laugh:

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
I could have probly used that sleeping and food advice. I've been slowly getting better at not screwing myself over in tournaments. The first 7 tournaments I went to I brought a controller where the c-stick was broken. I made sure to bring a fresh working controller to this tourney. I usually don't sleep at the venue though so no sleeping johns for me. I probly could have taken top 10 had I not messed myself up with no sleeping or eating but I'm not Johning about my place in the tournament.

I beat the guy who knocked me into losers in a MM when I was feeling better but I'm not going around complaining and crap. I got 33rd and I deserved it, off day or not. I play Sonic and can't even blame my placement on my character. I chose to play Sonic, I wasn't forced to by anyone. Now granted, If this tournament had items on and warioware was a neutral it'd be different.

The only thing I felt was unfair about the tournament was the IC infinite, I'm one of the only people that thinks it should be banned, so it doesn't matter anyways. I practiced against Chewy (BTW TY so much for the friendlies Chewy) for like 2 hours because I'm gonna adjust my playstyle to try and fit the tournament, not the other way around. If you have an off day at a tournament, just try better at the next one. Once you go to enough and play people enough, it becomes clear who's better and who's not.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Bowyer you've mentioned power rankings AT LEAST 5 times in this thread. No johns.
lol, learn to read maybe??? I swear you KS guys only read half of my posts and then go on to say that I left out the other stuff:

I only mentioned it online and when someone was saying that I deserved to get 33rd because I suck...
Bowyer, you're probably the worst MK in the midwest that actually mains MK and is considered a viable tournament player. Just sayin'.

*poke* *poke* *poke*
OMG $500 MM right now! Give me your address so I can drive my car to your house and MM you tonight! :)

Bowyer, there is no such thing as an "off" day.
By off day, I rather mean, I couldn't figure out how to play against Link and then I got nervous to fight ****ty characters that I don't know the matchups AT ALL (which are only a couple of characters in the game) and played overly safe, ********, and killed myself a bunch. I don't choke against people playing high tier characters because I know the matchups well and I'm not nervous about losing due to stupid **** that I don't know about.

i was third in the power ranking for like 2 weeks (after hyper viper beam) ......i didnt go to the next tournament then i was not in the list anymore lol
The current power rankings aren't based off of points from placings in tourneys but by voting.

lol bowyer was having a really bad day. My fox beat him a few times and i know that wouldn't normally happen.
Your fox only played against my wolf... which I picked up earlier that day, lol...

I've never walked away from a tourney empty handed either... until this one. I've traveled to Canada, Ohio, and Illinois always playing with the top MI people. I'm always in a setting of high competition and up until Saturday, I've always come out with money.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The only thing I felt was unfair about the tournament was the IC infinite, I'm one of the only people that thinks it should be banned, so it doesn't matter anyways. I practiced against Chewy (BTW TY so much for the friendlies Chewy) for like 2 hours because I'm gonna adjust my playstyle to try and fit the tournament, not the other way around. If you have an off day at a tournament, just try better at the next one. Once you go to enough and play people enough, it becomes clear who's better and who's not.
Ask lain how his IC chain grab worked against me in a MM. I broke out faster than he could set it up and didn't let him get back to the stage once he was off. Not missing opportunities = ICs are no problem.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
By vote? So you placed high in a popularity contest? OMG l33t skillz
I'll let you know the next time I decide to ever rate things entirely subjectively. Do note, however, it isn't here, and it isn't today.

QUIVO

Smash Master
It's your fault for not knowing the low tier matchups... It's guys like you who make the victory that much better for them low tier mainers

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Ask lain how his IC chain grab worked against me in a MM. I broke out faster than he could set it up and didn't let him get back to the stage once he was off. Not missing opportunities = ICs are no problem.
Could you do it with Sonic? I'm not johning at all and I know you would tell me to pick another character but I can't. Also, can't you not break out if he just instantly throws you? I know if I grab someone at 0% and throw them they can't break out before the throw. Is it different for IC because of the way their CG works? I've also been able to beat people's IC's but I usually get a lucky gimp on em. My main strategy with sonic is to platform camp and space some b-airs when they jump then try to keep them seperated. (Nana actually dies to an up-b followed by a spring and another up-b)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I did the same thing against Legan, looking to see what his mystery CP was (low tiers always have one) only to ban it in the set. Y.b.m. was referencing me. :p
Wow, I learned something from this.

1. Moneymatch someone good
2. Counterpick with something totally obscure, making him think "Is that his real counterpick, or is he mindgaming me?
3. See what they ban in an actual tournament match.

I don't know what you mean by "referencing" though.

Bowyer, didn't you pick up MK like, 3 days before GYGO in Michigan on November 23rd? And you're still maining him to this day, huh?

What did you play before then?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Bowyer mained Jigglypuff in the beginning of Brawl, then switched to ROB because "he's like Jiggs 2.0!" Messed around with all sorts of characters for a while, including Donkey Kong and Captain Falcon, before settling on Meta Knight.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
I saw the MM between you and Lain. He grabbed you a lot and ****ed it up after like one or two chain grabs... You were also being a **** in it. I'm not angry about the fact that you said **** constantly to **** him up and pumped your arm, shouting loudly every time he killed you with a chain throw, but it definitely seemed like a double standard that you ask people not playing to not talk a lot or **** talk during your games but you're allowed to do it during the game :/... if **** talking while playing is part of the game, then so is the **** talking and cheering of the crowd behind you.

It's your fault for not knowing the low tier matchups... It's guys like you who make the victory that much better for them low tier mainers
agreed... unfortunately.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Could you do it with Sonic? I'm not johning at all and I know you would tell me to pick another character but I can't. Also, can't you not break out if he just instantly throws you? I know if I grab someone at 0% and throw them they can't break out before the throw. Is it different for IC because of the way their CG works? I've also been able to beat people's IC's but I usually get a lucky gimp on em. My main strategy with sonic is to platform camp and space some b-airs when they jump then try to keep them seperated. (Nana actually dies to an up-b followed by a spring and another up-b)
I would say "pick up another character" because Sonic is garbage. :p

You'd probably have better chances just dropping springs on their head than anything else. Sonic shouldn't have much in this matchup as any of his rolling moves get wrecked by desynch blizzard (also means free grab) and all his aerials are slow enough to be shield grabbed (or dash grabbed out of shield)

ICs have to be set up for their throws. If he does his d-throw chain, he can't get an infinite off, so he has to wait for nana to catch up which takes a bit of time after a dash. I break out before she gets there.

I saw the MM between you and Lain. He grabbed you a lot and ****ed it up after like one or two chain grabs... You were also being a **** in it. I'm not angry about the fact that you said **** constantly to **** him up and pumped your arm, shouting loudly every time he killed you with a chain throw, but it definitely seemed like a double standard that you ask people not playing to not talk a lot or **** talk during your games but you're allowed to do it during the game :/... if **** talking while playing is part of the game, then so is the **** talking and cheering of the crowd behind you.
**** talk messes Lain up. Also, he got multiple grabs he couldn't do anything with. I only remember one that he actually "messed up" himself. His chain grab was rarely set up properly because I didn't let him... and I just plat camped all day and edgeguarded strongly, winning 2-0. Lain was a wildcard so I studied his videos, other IC videos, other IC vs. MK videos, and thought of three potential counteripcks for them and learned how the timing to separate the ICs during their over-b so that nana floats to the edge while Popo does not.

Also, read my original post. Remember when I was like "man, people are shouting and **** behind me and it messed me up" and then I said how it was my fault for letting them, and my solution was wearing headphones? Yeah. =P

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Bowyer, didn't you pick up MK like, 3 days before GYGO in Michigan on November 23rd? And you're still maining him to this day, huh?

What did you play before then?
To give a more accurate/detailed list of my mains and ****:

I quit playing in tourneys in May... stopped playing for the summer... and then played an hour or two a week at our survivor night thingy from September to the end of November while maining captain falcon. And then picked up MK and resumed going to tourneys.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
On a side note, it's really scary to click Thread Options so I can subscribe, and then see "CLOSE THREAD" standing out right in front of me.

lol

/subscribed

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Bowyer mained Jigglypuff in the beginning of Brawl, then switched to ROB because "he's like Jiggs 2.0!" Messed around with all sorts of characters for a while, including Donkey Kong and Captain Falcon, before settling on Meta Knight.
stalker

o_o

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You clearly have no idea the distance I go to research my targets friends for life <3

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This thread is entertaining.

Finally some drama in the midwest.
All it took was an entire seasons' worth of tournaments.

Anther and I could be rivals... but now we're just kinda chill. I guess I could make him my rival? I dunno, I just don't really care when I lose to him because he's pretty chill >_>

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
**** talk messes Lain up. Also, he got multiple grabs he couldn't do anything with. I only remember one that he actually "messed up" himself. His chain grab was rarely set up properly because I didn't let him... and I just plat camped all day and edgeguarded strongly, winning 2-0. Lain was a wildcard so I studied his videos, other IC videos, other IC vs. MK videos, and thought of three potential counteripcks for them and learned how the timing to separate the ICs during their over-b so that nana floats to the edge while Popo does not.

Also, read my original post. Remember when I was like "man, people are shouting and **** behind me and it messed me up" and then I said how it was my fault for letting them, and my solution was wearing headphones? Yeah. =P
Do you know how easy it is to properly set up a chaingrab in this game? And from what I saw, Lain probably got a good 10 or so grabs on you that game so yeah... you won because he ****ed up... not because you camped him well...

And I know you get messed up by people talking ****, but I specifically remember hearing something along the lines of you asking people not to **** talk your game while you're playing... so we didn't... seems like a huge double standard.

Clel

Smash Journeyman
Hey hey bow pal, I made a post and would like a response...

Uh ohs drama!!! Time to debate for a brain-teaser... lets see what I can cook up here...

Just because you beat someone doesn't mean you're better, there's many many different things that fall into place when it comes to deciding the better player (or better MK). For example Overswarm beat Domo in a money match aswell, but would've lost the tourney match had Domo not SD'd on Delfino - who would you say the better MK is? What would you use to determine such?

You fought Domo in a money match, not tourney match... in MK dittos I've beat Domo outside of tourney matches aswell and then got wrecked when we met in the brackets. So if I never fought him in the brackets do I have the right to run around and say "OH DOMO GOT PWNED I'M A BETTER MK!!!"? If I ran MK only in MWC I'd probably place 49th-33rd so I think not.

I could go on but now that my brain's finally workin I'ma do something constructive for fun :)

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
All it took was an entire seasons' worth of tournaments.

Anther and I could be rivals... but now we're just kinda chill. I guess I could make him my rival? I dunno, I just don't really care when I lose to him because he's pretty chill >_>
lol, no... if anyone's going to start beating him it's me... and it's going to happen in Chicago... winners finals at digi ops 2 weeks ago was the first time I played his pika in tourney and I took him to game 5... he's going to lose... <3 Anther

Top Bottom