• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest Circuit Championship Results 1/17/09

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Do you know how easy it is to properly set up a chaingrab in this game? And from what I saw, Lain probably got a good 10 or so grabs on you that game so yeah... you won because he ****ed up... not because you camped him well...

And I know you get messed up by people talking ****, but I specifically remember hearing something along the lines of you asking people not to **** talk your game while you're playing... so we didn't... seems like a huge double standard.
How is it a double standard? I want to win and everyone else to lose. Seems to make sense to me.

Also, you can take note I have no problem with people doing things in the actual game, but don't really like the crowd going all out to mess someone up.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
I'll be the underdog to do it...
I'm making everyone who EVER beat me...My rival!!!
I never played anther so I guess not him...yet *sigh*

MachinegunNorm

Smash Lord
Your fox only played against my wolf... which I picked up earlier that day, lol...
naw i played your mk a few times, in which you destoryed my fox expect for the few matches where you killed yourself and then went on to practicing where you could up b off stage and grab the ledge

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Hey hey bow pal, I made a post and would like a response...
umm... k... I'll respond but I don't really feel like **** talking anymore so I'll be straight up in my argument without showing any anger or whatever.

OS and Domo are about the same... also it doesn't make sense to sandbag in a mm especially if the whole point of it is to see who's better so I don't think he sandbagged, by watching his games vs OS I saw that he was putting himself into the same exact bad positions that he did against me and had the same holes in his game so I don't think he was sandbagging, and by seeing all the holes in his game over and over again, no I don't think he knows the MK ditto matchup near as well as me.

Now time to answer my brain-teaser. If MK (A) loses more MK dittos than MK (B) and MK (B) loses a very occasional match against 1 or 2 specific low tier characters but generally doesn't have to play against them in bracket because of pools and everything else is the same (which isn't true because I forgot to mention that MK (A) also loses the IC matchup while MK (B) generally doesn't but that's besides the point)... Do you think MK (A) or MK (B) is better?

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
naw i played your mk a few times, in which you destoryed my fox expect for the few matches where you killed yourself and then went on to practicing where you could up b off stage and grab the ledge
oh yeah, lol

How is it a double standard? I want to win and everyone else to lose. Seems to make sense to me.

Also, you can take note I have no problem with people doing things in the actual game, but don't really like the crowd going all out to mess someone up.
Exactly, YOU, don't like crowds messing you up but, YOU, are better at **** talking mid game than most other people, so even though they are both a huge part of the game and EXTREMELY similar you ask out of courtesy to not do one and then do the other yourself. It's a huge double standard and basically a **** move. I understand the whole winning thing and I'm not trying to be offensive, but asking someone not to do something to you and then doing it to someone else is kind of low in my book... But whatevs I guess that's the whole standards vs scrub mentality argument all over again and if you need double standards to win, then whatever.

QUIVO

Smash Master
The MK that consistently places higher and beats better people imo are better.

MK dittos don't prove who's best.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
The MK that consistently places higher and beats better people imo are better.

MK dittos don't prove who's best.
The guy who placed higher.
ok, that failed...

I guess I tried to imply MK (A) generally places slightly lower and MK (B) generally places higher but sometimes gets taken out early in a tourney...

eh, whatever... single wording failure makes the whole thing ****ed up...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Bowyer, the goal of a tournament is to win. Not to be super amazing at the most common matchups. That's a good way to get beaten by someone's secondary. :)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
You're all wrong, I'm going to be the one to beat Anther because seriously, how many Kirbys does he practice against?

/late

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If Bowyer consistently places in or near the top4 in tournaments he attends and then gets 33rd in the MWC championships, losing to (relatively) obscure characters, obviously the one he got 33rd is the most accurate gauge of his skill. OBVIOUSLY. This, however, does not change the fact that Bowyer sucks. :D

Also, it's humorous that you labeled this quote as a john when it looked more like a goal.

OBVIOUSLY.

TofuToph

Smash Journeyman
Guess what, people from Kansas or people from Michigan...Metaknight is a piece of **** and if you were good at this game at all you'd play a different character : )

(just kidding! But only kind of)

But I love Domo and Bowyer even though I don't know Domo and I haven't really talked to Bowyer but I heard he's a nice guy.

For real though

Legan- Your Link is the ****, we should team sometime man and rep the bottom 2 characters!!!

Lain- **** you for not leaving me a shout out. Suck a ****. See you tomorrow!

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
I would say "pick up another character" because Sonic is garbage. :p
I'm gonna find some crazy advanced tech that makes him top tier. Srsly though, I've made enough money at tournies with sonic to justify keeping him as my main.

You'd probably have better chances just dropping springs on their head than anything else. Sonic shouldn't have much in this matchup as any of his rolling moves get wrecked by desynch blizzard (also means free grab) and all his aerials are slow enough to be shield grabbed (or dash grabbed out of shield)

ICs have to be set up for their throws. If he does his d-throw chain, he can't get an infinite off, so he has to wait for nana to catch up which takes a bit of time after a dash. I break out before she gets there.
I guess I'm on my own for finding a strategy then. I believe a properly placed b-air has enough knockback and little enough landing lag to avoid the running grab, I'll test this out some more I guess. I think it's just up to me to find a way to do it. I have a harder time with ICs than I do with MKs (Mostly because I've fought a billion MKs)

[QUOTE-Overswwarm;6424744]
**** talk messes Lain up. Also, he got multiple grabs he couldn't do anything with. I only remember one that he actually "messed up" himself. His chain grab was rarely set up properly because I didn't let him... and I just plat camped all day and edgeguarded strongly, winning 2-0. Lain was a wildcard so I studied his videos, other IC videos, other IC vs. MK videos, and thought of three potential counteripcks for them and learned how the timing to separate the ICs during their over-b so that nana floats to the edge while Popo does not.

Also, read my original post. Remember when I was like "man, people are shouting and **** behind me and it messed me up" and then I said how it was my fault for letting them, and my solution was wearing headphones? Yeah. =P[/QUOTE]

Playing the devil's advocate here but I heard a story circulating around once that you were getting chain grabbed once and yelled really loud and it threw the guy off and allowed you to escape. I'm just sayin I heard is all...

TofuToph

Smash Journeyman
ithrowthings, don't give up a character just because a MK main tells you he sucks. ICs are a tough matchup, especially if your aerials have delay and you have no projectiles. I'm not a sonic main but when I play Falcon vs. ICs I space out his bAir and make sure to INSTANTLY be on nana if they separate. It should be easy to catch up with and punish nana when you're the fastest character in the game!

**** Nana's **** up then go from there, that's the only way I can compete with Lain's ICs >.>

And hey man, the more ICs you play the easier it'll be to dominate them. Keep at it

KY_Des

Smash Ace
Also, it's humorous that you labeled this quote as a john when it looked more like a goal.

OBVIOUSLY.
You got me on that part. I just took a quote. Which one I took didn't really matter to me considering they're all about the same.

Bottom line is he placed low. What characters you lost to are beside the point. On top of that, ITS ****IN METAKNIGHT! I dont think I MK main has the right to john about losing to an "obscure character" when their main is the best character in the game. Your character has an advantage! You should win. It's pretty silly.

To stop **** talking and be realistic for a second, I'll say that no, Bowyer does not completely suck. I also believe he's capable of placing higher than 33rd, considering I placed 25th with a broken controller. BUT Bowyer isn't near as good as he proclaims himself to be. As for these other tournaments he places at, I doubt they're a large regional tournament as this was. I find his placing at this tournament better to gauge his skill when considering who is the best MK in the region than other smaller tournaments that probably have the same people in them everytime.

But seriously, I'm done arguing. It's gotten really old. If you want people to think you're good, place better, and place consistently. Placings say a whole lot more than a $1 MM.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Playing the devil's advocate here but I heard a story circulating around once that you were getting chain grabbed once and yelled really loud and it threw the guy off and allowed you to escape. I'm just sayin I heard is all...
You kidding? I do that EVERY TIME. I just don't do it when I'm in the crowd and other peopel are playing. If I'm involved, I do what I can!

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I placed poorly because I tried playing Zero Suit when I shouldn't have. ;) Next time, anyone playing MK and friends is getting a MM from me so I can learn her better beforehand. It's not like I was gonna win money anyway so I'm not going to complain, hopefully it just makes me better in the long run. Actually, I have more trouble against G&W but luckily only one or two people actually play him. :X Shh!

And I'm going to be the one to dethrone Anther because only I am skilled enough to unlock the power of ROB's Side-B. ... :laugh: I'm serious, the day I beat Anther is the day I stage spike him with his own reflected Thunder. I'll do it some day.

MK dittos prove who's best since MK dittos are pretty much what decides who consistently places better amirite?

also Legan rocks

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Suuuuurrrreeeeeeeee
Oh no, I was still trying. I just banned FD and wanted to see your CP as well as how distant planet worked :D

If it was an actual tournament match and you managed to beat me on Norfair I would more than likely have taken you to Frigate or something along those lines.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
It's true that dittos don't really prove that much...I feel pretty confident I could have beaten any of the Kirbys at this tourney in a ditto money match, but that's because I play Kirby dittos a lot.

There's a good chance that they would do better against other characters in the actual tournament though.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Bottom line is he placed low. What characters you lost to are beside the point. On top of that, ITS ****IN METAKNIGHT! I dont think I MK main has the right to john about losing to an "obscure character" when their main is the best character in the game. Your character has an advantage! You should win. It's pretty silly.
Because an advantage, regardless of amount, is the sole determining factor in any matchup, which is obviously why nobody wins when they shouldn't. OBVIOUSLY.

I don't think Bowyer's been to a single tournament with the same people every time in a while yet, considering he only just started again toward the middle of November and there weren't really any tournaments over Christmas break. I think Only in Niagara 4 had a comparable attendance to this tournament, coming in at 62 entrants and this one being 64. I don't know why two fewer entrants would cause him to get 16 places higher, either. Whatever. Maybe the mid-range of Canada is just 16 places worse than Bowyer. Maybe.

But this is all stupid, because obviously Bowyer was looking for a fight in his original post that started all this.

Simple... I was the best MK there ;) <--- Truth
OBVIOUSLY.

Legan

Smash Lord
Oh no, I was still trying. I just banned FD and wanted to see your CP as well as how distant planet worked :D

If it was an actual tournament match and you managed to beat me on Norfair I would more than likely have taken you to Frigate or something along those lines.
Ugh, I donno if I remembered to ban Frigate against you. That would have sucked even more D:

Oh, I found out the counterpick I was supposed to take you to if you banned norfair, It definately wasnt supposed to be Delfino lol. Good **** either way you jerk.

Oh thanks Mr. E, Now I remember your that rob that knocked me out of doubles last time.
Your Rob is too good

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Legan:

Take people to Norfair, Distant Planet, and Yoshi's Island Melee. Trust me :D

Clel

Smash Journeyman
umm... k... I'll respond but I don't really feel like **** talking anymore so I'll be straight up in my argument without showing any anger or whatever.

OS and Domo are about the same... also it doesn't make sense to sandbag in a mm especially if the whole point of it is to see who's better so I don't think he sandbagged, by watching his games vs OS I saw that he was putting himself into the same exact bad positions that he did against me and had the same holes in his game so I don't think he was sandbagging, and by seeing all the holes in his game over and over again, no I don't think he knows the MK ditto matchup near as well as me.

Now time to answer my brain-teaser. If MK (A) loses more MK dittos than MK (B) and MK (B) loses a very occasional match against 1 or 2 specific low tier characters but generally doesn't have to play against them in bracket because of pools and everything else is the same (which isn't true because I forgot to mention that MK (A) also loses the IC matchup while MK (B) generally doesn't but that's besides the point)... Do you think MK (A) or MK (B) is better?
1. You don't think he sandbagged - the guy has a history of sandbagging in MMs, and your wins were as you said pretty one sided. 2 stock low percent + 1 stock mid percent after suiciding, I mean a sandbag seems very likely to me yet it looks like you wouldnt even take that as a possibility. You do have rights to say you're the better MK considering that's what was on the line in the match though.

2. He had the same holes in his match with OS - I don't really think players have a completely different style when they sandbag... When I sandbag I still have the same strengths and weaknesses for the most part, my style doesn't change but there's less focus put in countering my opponent, and I'm not really paying attention as much. I would like to know the specifics of these holes and bad situations though.

3. As for your Brainteaser - The better MK is the one who can place well regardless, if low tiers getting into brackets stops you dead in your tracks it's done. As Domo isn't stopped in his tracks by what you consider to be his weakness (MK dittos).

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Bowyer, take it from a guy who sandbags in MMs himself. Domo was sandbagging as clear as day and was deliberately testing me. I've done the same thing dozens of times. A top 3 placer doesn't go up to someone he could theoretically play in the finals and give away his strategies in a $1 money match; he was sandbagging. Our MM was basically a dumbed down version of what we'd actually be doing.

Top Bottom