• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mortal Kombat 9

Rikana

Smash Champion
lol the mk rap wasn't too bad. It seems like they put a lot of effort in it. Nothing that I would listen to though.

Atlus8

Smash Master
This is probably gonna be one of the most underrated fighting games out there! So sad!

Can't wait what this game is gonna be in like two months!

Edit - All about Kung-Lao right now!

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Yeah performing combos is really fluent comared to the other games. One grip I have though is that the controls can be sorta slippery. Buuut, greeat game! shame my live went down the day i got it -.-

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Only fighting game I can't play with my Arcade Stick, haha.

Getting it today, will be playing Lui-kang/Sub-Zero more than likely. Also, watched Ermac gameplay, top tier anyone?

Zone

Smash Champion
I expected it to be better than the 3-d style ones. But I didn't expect it to be this fun. Dash cancelling moves, enhanced special attacks. The arial game is so much quicker than street fighter. I always felt like I was in the air for a year in that game lol.

Enjoying it so far. Cant wait to get off work.

:phone:

Atlus8

Smash Master
I'm just speechless . . . I honestly didn't think this game would be this damn good! I have tried Kung Lao and Jade so far and have not been disappointed! This game doesn't have the BS that other games have had! There is no cheap comeback mechanic in the game, speed is fine, PLENTY of combo variety!

If this game doesn't get picked up by fighting game enthusiast then there is a serious problem!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I really love playing this, and I'm actually decent. I felt like after SSFIV/MVC3 there was no hope D:

Rikana

Smash Champion
I'm only an hour into it and I'm getting Smoke's combos quite easily. Meterless 30% - 40% easily. I don't like how fighters are trying to appeal to new comers by making things easier such as their buffer system.. oh well. Gotta deal with it.

Its definitely fun though. I'll be playing competitively.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
This game is defenetly exceed my expectations, I lost hope after Mortal Kombat Trilogy :-/

@Yars: I could see kung lao, kratos, sub-zero, ermac, & smoke for top homie

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I'm only an hour into it and I'm getting Smoke's combos quite easily. Meterless 30% - 40% easily. I don't like how fighters are trying to appeal to new comers by making things easier such as their buffer system.. oh well. Gotta deal with it.

Its definitely fun though. I'll be playing competitively.
Buffferings always been in fgs, they're just making the windows wayyy bigger.

And Kratos is banned from tournies so he isn't going to be top.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Yeah I know buffering's always been in. Its just incredibly noticeable in MK9. I like tight inputs.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I love how there are so many Ninja-Esque people in this game XD. Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Ermac(sp), and Smoke are pretty fun :3

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
This is MK ya know...
See, you don't get it. (Which is understandable.) I grew up -really- poor for the most part. I could afford Nintendo, that's it. I still love Ninty, but getting a job has helped me so much. The ps3 is like a godsend. This being said, I've never played MK before. (I had a PS2/PS1, but I never had the money to buy many games)

Anyways, I never actually played a non SC/SSB game until 2011. Which is why I suck so bad mostly, I've never really had the experience that people have had. One day I wanna go back to SSFIV, despite loosing all the time I still enjoyed it. MvC3 pissed me off though, all I did was fight the same people over and over online....

Off topic but yeah, it's a whole new world to me XD.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I was broke too bro, I had my dads old SNES with MK1 and 2 though. :D (I'm only 16 soooo yeah I was young when the SNES was in it's prime)

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm 18 so we're not so different. My problem was lack of gaming friends as well. Getting Mortal Kombat wouldn't have been as much fun as say... Link to the Past for me.

I really am trying to get better at fighters though. I hate sucking :/. I refuse to try MvC3 anymore though. All that happens is:

Move > 42583450934combo > Dead. By the same people. It's always Dante. Deadpool, Akuma, etc...

Meh.

On topic, I wish I had that Sub-Zero figurine.

tera twin

Smash Journeyman
I'm under the impression that there's no support for arcade pads for MK9. Is this true?

If so, how will competitive tournaments be carried out? I can see a scenario where somebody is a PS3 player and the other is an Xbox 360 player. PS3 and Xbox 360 both have different controllers and I think it'd be troublesome for either player to get out of their comfort zone with their controller to cater to the other player's controller scheme.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
They have to get off of there lazy ***** and make an adaptor like a lot of pad players do. There's a HDR 360 pad player that made one, Wolfkrone has one, and I'm pretty sure inthul has one.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, I know most of you are talking about the competitive aspect of it, but I've always thought out of all the fighting games, MK has had the most interesting story. Spoilers...

Everyone dies...AGAIN

Johnny Cage lives LOL

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
If anyone wants to play hmu, zingst3r is my xbl name

im an godlike at this ;)

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
I love how all the ninjas aren't the same thing lol. I agree with 3d, defenetly has gotten my attention.

Rikana

Smash Champion
I think my Smoke is pretty solid now. I need to play offline with it now. Need to find a secondary for tag team and counterpick.

Rikana

Smash Champion
This thread needs more love.

Nightwolf looks amazing. Extremely powerful up close and a good anti-zoning game.
Reptile has many tools up his scales. GREAT mixup game after elbow rushes.
Jade has an amazing mixup game with her boomerang too.

Ahhh. Who to main. I definitely got smoke under control. I think I'll go for Reptile next.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Lol, ordered me a 99dollar edition for the bookends and what not. I wish I had done this, as the offer is insane. This said, I have a new copy of MK for PS3 for sale.. x_x

As for the game, finished the story. It had a cliffhanger, that's for sure, and boy it's sad.

As for characters, Smoke is my favorite. His movement, combos, and even his story/looks are <3

As for other characters, I'm really liking Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Kratos. At the moment I'm only messing with Smoke/Sub-Zero, but I plan to pick the other two up in time. I love Sub-Zero's control and how he fights; it's just beautiful freezing people and crushing them with a sword.

Scorpion is just fun... and kinda meant for me. The name of his clan closely resembles my name, I love katanas, etc.

As for Kratos, I have some questions for him. I hear he sucks, and until recently I couldn't figure out why. His only good movement move doesn't crouch him, making him more vulnerable than Zero's crouching slide move? I'm just guessing that's why, I haven't tested it. If this isn't true, then I don't get it. He seems really strong, and has plenty of good moves. (And one bad*** bow)

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ This is my first MK game ever, so whatever D:. I've also always loved non-Deadpool Ninjas. Or Assassins. In RPGs I'm always Ninja/Rogue/Whatever. Kinda why my favorite three are all Ninjas xD

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Smoke will be bottom tier.

If I bring my no smoking sign. Heh (Remembers Smoke's friendship)

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Smoke will not be bottom tier. That's for damn sure.

My fave friendship was definitly Cyrax. He just started danceing for no reason. lol

Rikana

Smash Champion
Smoke is really really good. He's got anti zoning game, a zoning game, and a great mixup close combat game. He can also get 30 to 50 percent damaged without using a meter. He can also escape with teleport. Definitely one of the best characters in the game. He's barely got a bad matchup considering all the tools going for him.

Kung Lao is definitely up there with Smoke though. Extremely strong anti air game. Don't bother jumping at Kung Lao. He's got zoning to keep you pressured and make you come to him. Good mid game because he can combo into xray, or just use xray as a **** anti air.

I just watched a stream of MK9 tournie with REL, Krayzie Bone, and Sequel in it. They made the finals look really good. I love REL's Kitana. She looks really fun to pick up.

Top Bottom