• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mortal Kombat 9

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So I got this game today and here are my thoughts so far:

• The notation for combos in the game are not clear enough when it comes to kombos. It tells me that that I have to do back BP FP blah, but I had to figure out it's back BP, back FP, blah.
  • Canceling in this game is gonna take some getting used to.
  • I'm liking Sonya. That military stance has a lot of potential for mixups.
  • Story mode, while definitely more engaging due to how its told, is kind of meh overall. As Gates said, BlazBlue's story makes you care about the characters and the whole mythos more.
  • I still don't understand why there's a Block button. Does this kill crossups?

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
There's a block button because its mk. Its always had one. What do you want them to do? Change it so everyone says they just hopped on?. I like the block button. Its different. And yeah, you don't crossup in this game.

:phone:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm ok with there being a block button. It just seems so unsual, is all.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Think of Mortal Kombat as playing a 3D fighting game on a 2D plane.

And then you will understand why Tekken and Virtua Fighter players are the best at this game.

Fernandez

Smash Journeyman
Broken as in he sucks, right? <_< That's what you mean...right? I mean I guess he is okay... I love his bow?

Also, Reptile has a unique look now, I kinda like it ^^

edit: Online sucks right now. I have amazing internet connection (like I never lagged in mvc3, ssfiv, killzone), but I'm lagging so bad. I lost to a **** scorpion who spammed teleport because I couldn't block in time with Ermac.

I can't even play sub-zero because the lag will eat me...

I couldn't do 3>1>Force lift>Force throw well either... ;/ sadface.

But I read they are addressing this issue. good.
no hes really good if you play like a ****** and dont approach
his counter counters everything(melee,range and GRABS) so everytime you predict one of those you can just counter, and when you countered, you can cancel the animation and then do what ever you want while he is still in stun.

also when you counter the projectile when hes far away you fire it back as an unblockable so he cant camp you back

Atlus8

Smash Master
Think of Mortal Kombat as playing a 3D fighting game on a 2D plane.

And then you will understand why Tekken and Virtua Fighter players are the best at this game.
Actually, I don't think any of the top 8 at this past weekends MK National had much of a Tekken background! I know Rip was there and he is one of the best in the country, but he only got top 16 I think!

Gates

Banned via Warnings
...And DoA is a creepy voyeuristic beach volleyball 3D fighting game like Tekken and Virtua Fighter.

All of those games are heavily based around juggling though, which is why all the Tekken players, all the DoA players, and both of the VF players are doing well at the game.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm struggling so bad with Kratos. He shouldn't be this damn slow...

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
...And DoA is a creepy voyeuristic beach volleyball 3D fighting game like Tekken and Virtua Fighter.

All of those games are heavily based around juggling though, which is why all the Tekken players, all the DoA players, and both of the VF players are doing well at the game.
I was responding to !!!!!!!!!atlus!!!!!!!!!!.

But I've never even heard of a DoA player except for Swoozie. Almost as rare as a ****ing Chansey.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
[*]I still don't understand why there's a Block button. Does this kill crossups?
[/LIST]
Don't all fighting games have block buttons? I never played any other fighting game so I don't know, but I actually think it's unusual for there NOT to be a block button :/

Besides as it's been said characters teleport so it's hard to avoid them if you don't have a block button

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
I hate pressing back to block, the fact that i have to move in a direction away from my opponent sucks to me -.-

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
After giving it some thought, I'm gonna keep this game semi-seriously. It's not a bad game by any means, but if I were to ever to go to a tournament for nationals or out of state, I wouldn't sign up for Mortal Kombat. I think this is something I'll primarily play with online with friends.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
That's pretty much how I feel about this game too.

I'm just waiting for it to come down a bit in price. I can't justify paying $60 for it, but I definitely will buy it eventually.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Ha, people I know have been raving about the game so I finally caved in. Sonya's cool though. I like her playstyle.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I had a chance to try it a couple times when it first came out.

I hate the button layout though. It's ridiculous.

[collapse=Ridiculous!]
[/collapse]

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The things that bug me about this is that this was the original layout for the arcades apparently so it's a wonder how they thought that one up back then and the fact that you can't probably use this for any other game out there.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I wish I could express how annoyed I am that such a stick even exists.

Did the old cabinets have such a button layout? I know the stick was made like that because it was on the old cabinets.

EDIT: Kuma with those ninja posts

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
I wish I could express how annoyed I am that such a stick even exists.

Did the old cabinets have such a button layout? I know the stick was made like that because it was on the old cabinets.

EDIT: Kuma with those ninja posts
the old mk cabinets had that layout. it's uncomfortable, but it works. i have used that stick before, if it was possible to swap out the top plate for a 6 button sf layout it would be the stick of the year.

Zone

Smash Champion
Dash cancel+special move cancel is my l-cancel,

Combos are flashy, not too ridiculous in damage, and the ones that are like 46% meterless are getting nerfed.

Combo breakers are my bursts, enhanced specials are my EX and great for mixups.

And way more, but I can't convince even brawl players this game is pretty deep. They all say they played it "for a bit" and tell me it's shallow... Dunno ... I don't think they gave it a fair chance

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Brawl player's are so close minded :(
The game is deep. I'd say it's somehow along the lines of SSF4 deep. That's why so many play it. Their are traps mixups, mindgames and all that good metagame stuff.
Most people use bar for breakers.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I love this game. Mainly because I can platinum it. (I can't get SSFIV/MvC3 platinum, missions kick my ***...) aside from that though, this game has so much to do :3.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So, who uses Cage here? He's my main, im struggling to use anyone else well >_<

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I use Sub-Zero main, but online I can't use him too well due to lag[dunno if they fixed it]. I sub [lol] Smoke an Ermac atm. (Tried Kratos...idk. I wanna learn him...)

Zone

Smash Champion
Jade seems to be combo or be combo'd kind of character. Her enhanced shadow glow will almost guarantee you a combo if you use it like a counter move. a combo of roughly 34%. And if your opponent wants out they will combo breaker thus resulting in you only losing 1 bar to initiate they waste 2 to break it. But since Jades only REAL overheads are her staff special and her grab (or aerials), you have very little answer to crouch blockers so i normally just grab or space proper for a overhead(that will probably be blocked because it's slow enough they can block(in standing mode) from crouch really easily.

Since enhanced shadow glow is so important to landing combos... you almost NEVER want to waste ur meter on a breaker unless it means the difference of victory or defeat.

Atlus8

Smash Master
Jade seems to be combo or be combo'd kind of character. Her enhanced shadow glow will almost guarantee you a combo if you use it like a counter move. a combo of roughly 34%. And if your opponent wants out they will combo breaker thus resulting in you only losing 1 bar to initiate they waste 2 to break it. But since Jades only REAL overheads are her staff special and her grab (or aerials), you have very little answer to crouch blockers so i normally just grab or space proper for a overhead(that will probably be blocked because it's slow enough they can block(in standing mode) from crouch really easily.

Since enhanced shadow glow is so important to landing combos... you almost NEVER want to waste ur meter on a breaker unless it means the difference of victory or defeat.
Man, that glow is so useful against Noob Saibot! No need to worry about them projectiles! I like to use meter for 2, 3, EX Staff Slam! The second hit is low followed by an overhead and leads to a combo from there!

Zone

Smash Champion
Man, that glow is so useful against Noob Saibot! No need to worry about them projectiles! I like to use meter for 2, 3, EX Staff Slam! The second hit is low followed by an overhead and leads to a combo from there!
don't you mean 3,4 into EX slam? the 3,4,2 one was the only low mix up she had off her stings.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
So I just picked this up and I've gotta say, Smoke is really fun, and so is Kabal. I'd say Noob is too for his throwing shadow guys at them-ness, but it's less fun that his teleport can't really be utilized that well. Also, I have to say having there be a block button is so freaking WEIRD. Like, after having played Blazblue since it came out (and still playing it) and MvC3 a bit, as well as y'know, most fighters, having there be a designated block button just seems odd.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Skarlet looks like a more fun version of Mileena. At the moment my character hierarchy goes like:

Sub-Zero
Smoke
Liu Kang/Kratos

:#

Top Bottom