• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mortal Kombat 9

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Other beast fatalies are:

Cage's 2nd fatality.
Kung Lao's 2nd fatality.
Sektor's 2nd fatality.
Reptile's 1st fatality.
Quan Chi's 2nd fatality.

Also, I can't wait to see the DLC this Wednesday.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Netherrealm Studios has said that the Kintaro DLC claim isn't true. A magazine mistakenly listed Kintaro as a DLC character. I personally think that all of the bosses will be released as DLC at some point, but, as of now, none of them are confirmed. The only two confirmed DLC characters are Kenshi and Skarlet.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Can't wait to watch the finals of tom brady vs. perfect legend. Perfect legend was beastingggggg on ssf4. He's the black murderface of america. A bit too reckless though.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Apparently stream was saved and I just finished watching it. REO's CSZ is maddd beast. PL pulling out Shang Tsung kind of made me question his choice. I guess he thought the fireballs were good for pulling him in. Smoke would've seem like a better choice since he's so strong in anti-zoning. Tom Brady's Sub Zero is mad good.

Edit: F8al, where in Ontario are you located?

Atlus8

Smash Master
Oh man! Watching Perfect Legend go down with Shang Tsung was anti-climatic! I was thinking that he would have just gone back to Kung-Lao!

Anyway, after messing around I figured out that buffering moves into combos works pretty damn well!

Example: Ermacs b2,b1 followed by Force Lift (d,b1) works great! But instead of doing the combo like b2, b1, d, b1 in can also be done by buffering the Front Punch (1) when pressing down! Combo would look like this now b2, b1, d1 b!

Another example! 3,1 followed by Force Push (b, f1)! Instead of doing the combo like this 3, 1, b, f1! It can also be done like this 3, b1, f! Good stuff!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Yeah. Ermac is so fun to play with. His combos look nasty too (visually). I think I'ma run him as a third with Sub/Smoke as opposed to Scorpion.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Netherrealm Studios has said that the Kintaro DLC claim isn't true. A magazine mistakenly listed Kintaro as a DLC character. I personally think that all of the bosses will be released as DLC at some point, but, as of now, none of them are confirmed. The only two confirmed DLC characters are Kenshi and Skarlet.
Kenshi is my favorite Mortal Kombat character. I loved him in Deception.

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
Question: Is Baraka any good in this game? I might as well figure out what I'm getting myself into if I'm going to buy it.

I'll still buy the game anyway (And I'll still try out Baraka, because giant arm blades are kool), but it'll be a bit disappointing if my favorite guy sucks. :urg:

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I like playing Baraka. So far, the only characters that seem bad to me are Kratos, Sheeva, Jax, and Sindel. But that's just me. The only character that realllyyy grinds my gears is (Shao Khan), nah, Kung Lao. So annoying.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I completed Kratos' tournament, and he is a harder character to play with. I don't like how Shao Kahn basically requires you to spam and exploit over and over again to stand a chance, and I also hate when a game's boss is only difficult because they don't abide by the same rules you do (ie. he can do his shadow charge three times without break).

I am playing through the Challenge Tower to get the coins to finish off the Krypt. Some challenges are pretty lame, like when ice falls down or you have to do combos etc, but I am on 207 or so, so not much left.

Anyone know if the TE stick is any good? I really want to get a stick for multiplayer when I start that, but I have no idea what is a good price and what's worth getting.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I wanted to get a stick for MVC3 (I heard stick runs much better, or w/e), but I'm liking ps3 controller on MK. It took me a while to use the d-pad, but yeah.

@Kratos:

I just wish he was better ._.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So dude, I rented MK9. It's pretty good.

Unfortunately, the only modes I've played so far are bull****. Challenge Tower has you do stupid **** that would never happen in a real match like throwing knives at zombies. The ones that tell you to do a certain Fatality and then display that fatality were also hard for me to do on my arkade stick because the display was almost always wrong for my kustom kontrols. I had to switch to one of the preset kontrols just to get the right kommand, and even then it was really finicky, especially when I tried to do the stage fatality on the bridge (down forward down and some attack button I kan't remember). The game was incredibly *****y about all my inputs and I had to redo it about 50 times because I wasn't good enough for it. What a load of ****. And I'm barely over 1/6 of the way done with the damn thing. This **** is ridikulous. When I heard the MK team was taking ideas from other successful fighting games and putting them in MK9, I didn't think they meant the ****ing Event Matches from Brawl.

Story mode is ok. It does a good enough job of getting the story across although the dialogue in the kutscenes is sometimes hard to hear so I hope you like subtitles. Still, I have to say that the melodramatik, nonsensikal, plot-hole ridden CG cinematiks of MK9 are at least a bit more fun to look at than the well-written, emotionally engaging talking heads of BlazBlue if only because they're more aktion filled than a bunch of still images over backgrounds with some minor facial animation and don't drag on for 10 minutes at a time. BlazBlue's story mode surpasses MK9's in every other way though, you actually get to care about the characters and what's happening to them and it teaches you about the world around them, unlike MK9's story which is just ludicrous in its plot holes and kontent. To make a broad generalization, BlazBlue's story is like a Neil Gaiman komik book, MK9's story is like a Michael Bay movie.

As an example of the plot holes in MK9's story, there's one scene at the end of Smoke's chapter where he gets ambushed by a bunch of cyborgs who want to turn him into a cyborg because the leader of the Lin-Kuei saw The Terminator and he thought it was cool. Raiden shows up and fries the cyborgs because he's looking for some cigarettes and he thought that a guy named "Smoke" might be able to hook him up. Then later on at the end of the Sub-Zero (Kuai-Liang) chapter the same cyborg *******s show up to take him away for the same reason. Raiden just stands there and watches and doesn't ****ing do anything! What an *******. Of kourse by this point he had been hanging out with Johnny Cage for about...nearly every chapter since the first one, so Cage's *******-ness must've rubbed off on him (but Cage definitely didn't rub his ******* on Raiden, that would be gay). Speaking of Johnny Cage, his one-liners are pretty much the best parts of the story.

Another thing I don't like about these two modes is that for a lot of battles they'll have you as a single character against two other characters, which is a ****ing nightmare to play through, especially if you're playing as a character who you have no interest in actually learning. I couldn't kare less about Smoke, all he has going for him are decent blockstrings and teleport and invisibility mixups, so why should I have to use him to fight Sub-Zero and Reptile at the same time? (I've heard that Smoke has really good damage and mixups at high level play, but ****ing Story mode is NOT high level play). Look, if I wanted to play Tatsunoko vs Capcom I would, but I don't and I'm not so stop reminding me of it.

Boss characters, namely Goro, are also *****es. Goro's health is ridikulous, he has super armor on all his moves, he does a ton of damage - it's what I imagine playing against pre-patch MvC3 Sentinel would be like only you kan't instant overhead him or get him into the korner and pressure him or turn into Dark Phoenix or any of the other stuff that put Sentinel in check and made him KOMPLETELY BALANCED AND UNDESERVING OF A NERF YEAH I WENT THERE AND NO I WON'T "JUST LET IT GO". I'm just glad they put all the basik kombos in the kommand list or else I wouldn't even know what blockstrings to use.

So I said I've only played two modes but it's really more like I've only played two modes that involve fighting against another character (or two). The other mode I've played is the Krypt, in which you get to experience a new genre entirely, first-person tombstone vandalism. If people who play Mortal Kombat are really as impressionable as Jack Thompson says, then I personally expekt a dramatik rise in graveyard property destruktion as a result of this mode. Not that anyone's going to play it much, it's boring as hell and 90% of the unlocks are useless **** like art, as opposed to, you know, new kostumes, new stages, and ****ING FATALITIES AND BABALITIES. And yes I know there are fatalities you can get in the Krypt, but frankly if you only want to do the Krypt for those, do yourself a favor and just look up what specific grave each fatality is in. You'll thank me later.

As far as characters go, the two characters that catch my eye most right now are Sub-Zero and Reptile. Sub-Zero has solid zoning with ice klones and ice balls/beams as I expekted, but what I didn't (but admittedly should have) expekted was that EVERYONE IN THIS GAME CAN ****ING TELEPORT. What I actually think is better than Sub-Zero's zoning skills right now are his blockstrings. His blockstrings are the safest in the game since he can kancel them into ice klones. He also has a great, easy kombo into X-ray that I found and you kan do it easily after a ground freeze. Reptile is also looking like a good zoner. He spits on people (like Sentinel) and his balls create good juggle setups and if I actually knew combos to do after a juggle other than "get yo **** spit on *****" from a distance I'd like him a lot more. His dash punch is also really good for positioning and I think that if I worked on my exekution more I'd be able to get it down. That's one of my biggest hurdles with this game. I'm too used to QCF/QCF/HCF/HCB/DP/RDP/ motions from SF, BB, MvC, and AH, I need to get used to the krazy kommands in this game. I also get used to pushing a button to block, something I haven't done since I played Smash and it felt a lot more natural then because you could shieldgrab and stuff.

So yeah, MK9, pretty decent game. I wouldn't say that I like it more than MvC3 but I will say that I like it more than SFIV (and all variants of). I have a theory on MvC3 and MK9, or more specifically why people like the latter more than the former. See, the expektations for MvC3 were ridiculously high since it was a long-awaited sequel to a game that had a large and thriving kompetitive and kasual kommunity. People expekted Jesus Christ himself to kome down from the heavens and konvert himself into each and every single kopy of the game personally and that each kopy of the game would kome with a free hot wife and that IFC Yipes would be elekted president and blah blah blah. Instead there was a ridiculous amount of backlash to the game bekause skrubs kouldn't beat Sentinel and nobody kould deal with X-Factor. I'll admit that MvC3 is not as good as MvC2 and that there are a ton of problems with X-Factor (and the online even though online really isn't the best way to play fighting games anyway and anyone who thinks that either works for the makers of GGPO, lives on the ****ing moon or some equally sparsely populated area, or is massively braindamaged to the point where they probably shouldn't be playing video games at all) but even I think that the backlash is ridikulous. I mean this is getting to the point where if anyone else starts *****ing we might not see Marvel at Evo next year, something that would have made MvC fans foam at the mouth with unkontrollable rage if it happened in the past (and it did in Evo 2010 when Marvel was voted out and the BB kommunity decided to step down and let Marvel take over their spot since everyone had moved onto CS1 anyway, man isn't the BB kommunity so nice meatride meatride meatride). Of kourse something's going to be disappointing if you build it up that much, that's why everyone loves Ocarina of Time more than Twilight Princess (except me, seriously the kombat system in TP is so much better, OoT just has not aged well at all). The MvC kommunity needs to get over MvC2 and learn to love MvC3. Or they kould be like the Smash kommunity and run MvC2 tournaments at MvC3 events and have a huge divide in the kommunity and konstant flame wars on every fighting game message board.

Peoples' expektations for MK9, however, were that it was going to be an unbalanced, glitchy, gimmicky pile of **** with a ridiculous juggle system that made Tekken look like air hockey, and the announcement of Challenge Tower and Babalities didn't help their case. Everyone was pleasantly surprised to see that they were wrong and that, whether it was intentional or not, the MK9 team has kreated something that has the 2D zoning and EX moves of a SF game, the burst system of a GG game (though really it's more like TvC since it uses meter), the juggle system of a Tekken game, and the extras of a Smash game, all while keeping a distinkt feel of Mortal Kombat through the visual style. This is genuinely an impressive feat, but as impressive as it is the game still has inherent flaws, like the unfamiliarity of blocking with a button or the odd kontrols for special moves. I'm also a little turned off by how easy it is to do X-Rays in this game. You literally press two buttons. That's something from BlazBlue's beginner mode. Like BlazBlue's beginner mode, I'm grateful that it's so easy when I'm running through story mode with characters I don't give a **** about, but it really makes kombos in the game ridikulously easy. For that Sub-Zero X-Ray kombo I talked about earlier, if the kommand for it was a traditional QCF*2 most people whose exekution sucks would probably have never found out about it or been able to do it. Yet somehow I get the feeling that everyone will be able to do it super easliy with the only real question being do you save meter for it or use it on his ice beam. I also don't like how the stances of you and your opponent randomly affekt damage. It's so minor that it's rarely an issue, but it's still just really odd. Also, normals chip in this game? That's so weird for me to get used to. It's like I'm playing MvC2 Sentinel again, only I can't fly or shoot giant lasers or do kool kombos...aktually this is nothing like MvC2 Sentinel. So yeah, the point is that MK9 has a ton of issues but people seem to be ignoring this and saying nothing but positive things about the game wheras MvC3 disks are being smashed and burned and broken half in prison to use as shanks (bekause everyone knows prisoners are King of Fighters fans and apparently they allow video games in prison in the universe of this hypothetikal joke I'm trying to make here). This really bothers me bekause, at its kore, MvC3 is not a bad fighting game. Shaq Fu is a bad fighting game. MvC3 is not a bad fighting game (and neither is MK9, just to make it klear, I just like MvC3 more).

As for SFIV, I'm sorry but it's just ****. The original SFIV I shouldn't even have to talk about. The trades were ridikulous, the shortkuts were bull****, and I don't think I need to mention Sagat. The only reason it got so much hype was because you could finally play ST with 3D character models. I actually thought SSFIV was really good on its own. Its gameplay was bull****y due to the shortkuts but its predecessor kan mostly be blamed for that, its online was...oh who gives a ****, and its balance was pretty good despite what Gen and Makoto players say. Now (and by "now" I mean in about a month) we have AE though, which has not only kompletely ignored all of the issues were present in the previous two games (**kough**SHORTKUTS**kough**) but has also introduced two new balance issues in Yun and Yang and the most unoriginal original characters ever in Evil Ryu and Oni. Namco has said that the Tekken team hasn't been working on Tekken x Street Fighter since they've been working on Tekken Tag Tournament 2, so since Street Fighter x Tekken is much kloser to kompletion, I'm going to assume that the Street Fighter team hasn't been balancing AE since they've been working on SFxT. Or picking their noses. Or having orgies in bathtubs full of money. But who knows, maybe I'm just biased against games that use more links in kombos than kancels.

But yeah, MK9, good game. I like it.

(you have no idea how many times I had to korrect my spelling to make it Mortal Kombat-y while writing this)

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Man so my friend loaned me this game yesterday

From the bit that I've played I love Sonya and Cage.

Man I gotta play this seriously. I just need a joystick controller thing and a game I actually get to keep ;__;

Atlus8

Smash Master
Challenge Tower - This thing is a tedious and does get pretty d@mn boring even at the start! I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you wanna do it for the trophy/achievement or just wanna get some points to unlock stuff in the Krypt!

Story Mode - I personally liked the story! Some of the 1v2 are a bit dumb, but it's not hard at all to complete it!

Bosses - I find them pretty damn easy actually! Goro and Kintaro's stomp can easily be stopped by jumping straight up then punching them out of the sky! Shao-Kang is almost as easy! Just block and wait for him to open himself up!

Characters - Not everyone has a teleport in this game and everyone plays differently! Characters here are more unique than what you would find in MvC3 imo!

Execution/Gameplay - Basic combos are easy in this game, but the more advance ones actually take some practice! Adjusting to a block button might take some getting use to! I have no beef on executing the X-Ray! If it was another QCFx2 + P command then it would be too much SF for my taste!

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Ugh I just beat the story

I came this close to crying about 3 or 4 times during fighting Shao Kahn. Doing it with Lui Kang was easy as **** but the last one is a whole nother story

Double battles are so blasted ****ing ******** when they just pit you alone against 2 people.

Wtf is this super armor shield thing man this is bull**** that just made boss battles 100 times more tedius for me and it probably would've taken me like 30 minutes instead of like the 1 1/2 I spent instead on Shao Kahn if they didn't have that

Great story though. I'm curious to see how this alternate timeline ends up compared to the Armageddon timeline.

Lui Kang was a ***** though

Oh, and I'm raging so ****ing hard because of what they turned Sub-Zero into. No **** I liked him a million times better in the original timeline than here

Atlus8

Smash Master
I've hear people having much trouble with Shao-Kang at the end of story mode! I was getting hype when I had to face him and he barely gave me any trouble! I think most people just jump in on him and they get hammered or he gives you guys that shoulder tackle going upwards! Honestly, just block and wait for him to open up! I just beat the game twice on expert, no continues, best of 3 rounds!

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Yeah man I'm so close to falling asleep that the only thing keeping me awake is a burger ima eat in like half an hour and I have 150 koins to spend

When you're struggling to keep awake while going through the task of sorting through all the collectibles, a screamer suddenly popping out and screaming extremely loudly (I had my home theater speakers on) made me nearly piss myslelf holy ****

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
XD. You get for ps3 or 360? I'll add you when psn is up.

been teaching my girlfriend how to play recently, and she's picking up Mileena.

Already doing intermediate combos.... x_x She learns so fast.

Top Bottom