• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mount Dedede - His Majesty's Social Thread (Come in and Introduce Yourself!)

BulacaFlocka

Smash Rookie
Introduction...

I'm BulacaFlocka, been playing Smash for fun since 64. Played Brawl somewhat competitively back in 2010? using Pikachu and ROB. Played Street Fighter 4 and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 competitively, I've been to two of the last three EVOs. I work for MLG on the side, started out with Call of Duty, moved onto the fighting games, then back to Call of Duty, and most recently did Melee at Anaheim. Started playing Melee competitively after watching the documentary this past January, and am planning on taking Smash 4 seriously. I'm one of the co-founders for D.C. eSports, and I run the stream for the bi-weekly Smash @ Clarendon events if you've ever heard of them (regularly getting 70+ people, with Crs.Chillin, MOR | ChuDat, DoH, etc. frequently coming out).

I've been playing with a lot of characters so far, but D3 has been my favorite and I've decided to stop mucking around and pick a character. I enjoy playing Mario and Pikachu, but I'm investing my time into D3 before taking up some pocket characters. Glad I decided to read these forums yesterday at work...I've been doing up throws and trying to chase with uairs...then I read about dthrow > bull**** and promptly went on a 15+ winning streak in For Glory last night. Look forward to learning more from you guys.

Oh, and I'm also only 5'7". So maybe I don't actually belong here... :p

Purplestackz

Smash Rookie
Well I guess I should introduce myself. I'm Purple, been playing smash since PM 2.5 but have just been lurking on Smashboards, so I figure I'll start on Smash 4. I REALLY dig D3 in smash 4. Nice to meet you guys.

CaptainChoC

Smash Rookie
Hello, I was a Kirby main in DK, Sheik main in Melee UE, a DK main in Brawl and after i saw how much DK has been nerfed, i decided to come back to one of my ex-secondaries, DDD.
I'm quite sad this board is kind of dead, so i was wondering whether I should make a topic with the percents of the moves and such... maybe it would make people start posting characterguide-like content on this subforum :)
Should I do it then ?

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
I think the issue is mostly related to how few we are playing the best ****ing character in the game.

Personally I'm interested in our moves' frame data, don't have the stuff to test it myself, sadly.

We're having some interesting discussions in the strategy thread.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Hello, I was a Kirby main in DK, Sheik main in Melee UE, a DK main in Brawl and after i saw how much DK has been nerfed, i decided to come back to one of my ex-secondaries, DDD.
I'm quite sad this board is kind of dead, so i was wondering whether I should make a topic with the percents of the moves and such... maybe it would make people start posting characterguide-like content on this subforum :)
Should I do it then ?
Yes!

MetalPat

Smash Ace
Why hello all,
I am a D3 main in 3Ds :) I have been a rob/ganon main in brawl and have not had time to really dig into smash4 because of school/work. I hope to start going to tournaments and showing what D3 is really capable of, as he is a lot of fun to play in this game! Here is to hoping this is great.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
Hello!
Suddenly decided to add D3 to my main list, along with Greninja and ROB, after completely wrecking people in online teams. The Gordo toss is too good for stage control, and even after them counter-picking me i destroyed them. DDD feels great this time around, and I hope to get really good with him!

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
So good to find a lively forum for His Majesty. My name is TMJ_Jack, but you may call just TMJ or Jack. The manner in which I found King Dedede is a bit funny. To those only vaguely familiar Brawl on a completive level, King Dedede is a joke. He seems slow and clumsy. So, as a joke to annoy some friends, I practiced the Great King so they would look stupid when they lost. I fell in love. He hits hard and can move deceptively quick, and he does it all with a smile. I've actively mained the King Dedede in SSB4. I've even picked up some decent combos. Long live the King!
:4dedede:

Last edited:

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
I have good news from the King of Dream Land! Annoying Little Mac players who spam the dash attack can easily KO'd! Simply inhale him near the edge, waddle off the stage, spit that flithy spammer away from the ledge, and watch him burn in Hell. In general, Dedede has much harder time suicide KOing than before, but Little Mac's horrendous recovery more than makes up for it. Additionally, Little Mac's weak air-game makes it difficult to approach Dedede while he's inhaling. It should be noted, however, that Little Mac's frames of invisibility during his side special are capable of propelling him past the inhale's "hitbox." Long live the King!

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Frames of invisibility!!?!?!?

heheh. how is everyone.

ORANGEtheGORILLa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ORANGEtheGORILLA
3DS FC
0387-9268-8964
hey, im ORANGEtheReallylongnameGORILLA. Jk but d3 has bern my main since brwal online was bad. Which was always.

XakYm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XakYm09
3DS FC
0018-0121-2348
Hey everyone! Xakym here, I've been maining :4dedede: for the last 3 years of Brawl cycle and have no regrets maining the king.He's even more glorious in Smash 4 swinging that majestic mallet. The only time I've ever had trouble against an other player was that he was good or I get caught in their game. Dedede is all about patience, you have to let the peasants rush towards you in order to wack them with the mallet of doom back in their place. If anyone would like to have some Dedede ditto's for firendly practice and strategy sharing just message me and I'll add you. See you then.

XakYm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XakYm09
3DS FC
0018-0121-2348
Is DDD's jet hammer any good in this game, and has his neutral air been buffed?
Yeah his Nair has gotten a buff, very reliable. The Jet hammer seemed to have also gotten a buff, I think it can K.O at 70% not fully charged. Best strategy used for the hammer is against counter type characters ex: lil Mac Fire Emblem folks. When they are airborne these players usually wait until they get back on stage and counter thinking you'd attack. That hammer is almost like a smash attack with mobility.

rsr2

Smash Lord
Sup guys, my name is Randall or rsr2. I was a Wolf player for a few years on the brawl scene and main Wario for Project M. After playing Smash 4 and trying all of the characters and started to play a lot more Dedede, now he is my main. Unfortunately I can't do any tournaments anytime soon due to work but my plan is to go to Apex and try for weekends off in the future.

rpgcaster

Smash Apprentice
Hey peoples! I played Dedede for a bit in Brawl, but am maining Palutena in Smash 4. However, I've been playing Dedede again lately and am really enjoying him as well so hoping to pick him up as a secondary main~ Nice to meet ya all!

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Yeah his Nair has gotten a buff, very reliable. The Jet hammer seemed to have also gotten a buff, I think it can K.O at 70% not fully charged. Best strategy used for the hammer is against counter type characters ex: lil Mac Fire Emblem folks. When they are airborne these players usually wait until they get back on stage and counter thinking you'd attack. That hammer is almost like a smash attack with mobility.
Yeah, a really powerful, mobil smash attack. Fully-charged, It'll KO most before 50%. It may surprise an enemy if you jump with it charging. For whatever reason, jumping with the jet hammer intimidates a lot of opponents.

LocktheChest

Smash Cadet
NNID
LocktheChest
Hello everyone. I'm LocktheChest, and have decided to become a duel Sonic/Dedede Main as I feel they complement eachother well. I liked him in brawl well enough, but I am really loving him in Smash 4. Hail to the King, Baby.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
placed top 5 in a 200 man wifi tourney with solo d3, we're gonna make it
I ended up getting 3rd with d3 that tourney lol xD. Lil Mac destroys d3 unfortunately. I found some stuff today that makes d3 really damn good, but it might be easier to pull off on wiiU. Will play this character more on WiiU version, right now im experimenting with picking up new chars.

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I ended up getting 3rd with d3 that tourney lol xD. Lil Mac destroys d3 unfortunately. I found some stuff today that makes d3 really damn good, but it might be easier to pull off on wiiU. Will play this character more on WiiU version, right now im experimenting with picking up new chars.
Not really. Just lure Mac to the edge of the stage and spam Inhale. Since Mac is primarily a ground fighter, he's easy to suck up.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Not really. Just lure Mac to the edge of the stage and spam Inhale. Since Mac is primarily a ground fighter, he's easy to suck up.
...or Mac bops you on the beak before he gets sucked in, staying far enough out of Inhale's optimum range and using the vacuum effect to his advantage. In fact, a lot of players wise to that will not take the bait, and will settle for controlling the space right outside of your influence on the edge. This situation is even worse if you're down a stock, up against a character with innately better footsie tools, and/or do not have momentum in the match.

It's not a bad idea to use Inhale, don't get me wrong, but you gotta tell us how. That scenario was vague enough for me to assume the worst, haha. Like, what is the Mac player doing there? Is he firmly planted and poking your shield with jabs, ftilt, or dtilt? Does he have a KO Punch primed? Is he trying to bait you into moving away from the edge? You gotta be specific.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
I do believe we have an even to favorable matchup against Mac.

I mean, even most of the characters that'll have a clear advantage against Mac have to play around his game; his powerful ground game, filled with extremely safe hits on block, super armor, and generally powerful attacks.

With proper spacing; FTilt beats everything but side-B, side-B itself is stupidly punishable, and a grab/inhale generally means a stock with a proper edgeguard. Also KO punch doesn't kill us until 40ish% with good vectoring (still stupidly low, but not a 1-hit KO at least).

The reason we don't dominate the matchup is that our camp game is plain terrible, and forcing an approach isn't exactly doable. As in, waiting on the ledge with inhale won't work. Definitely one of our better moves in the matchup, but it's not a no-brainer either.

Last edited:

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Haha, maybe.

Ever so slightly favorable. We can't force an approach, but we can camp all we want.
Mac is really good, for the time being, because he has very strong tools that we don't know how to deal with.

We still have to play around his game, but at our pace. It's not a debilitating matchup.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
It's hard to accurately say how Dedede fairs against Mac at the moment. I think the meta needs some more time to develop. Based on my own experience, I think it may be even or in our favor, but that's just biased speculation and hardly means anything substantial.

I agree in thinking that ftilt and Inhale will be our primary tools in the matchup. Inhale beats out quite a few of Mac's options. And ftilt...well, it's pretty obvious why that would be so good against Mac. But, again, it's difficult to say currently.

Raven the Obsidian

Smash Cadet
NNID
RavenTheObsidian
3DS FC
3866-8144-2758
Hello there, Raven the Obsidian here. Decided to join up because I'm looking to get better at Smash this time around! I only really ever played Melee solo since I didn't know any communities at the time, and I was almost completely inactive with Smash during Brawl, but I want to get a bit more into the scene this time around. I've decided on King Dedede as my main for this entry, with Game & Watch and Pit/Dark Pit on the side, so I figured I'd introduce myself here. Good to see a dedicated community for the most lovable penguin monarch out there!

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I guess ya'll are right. Playing patiently is netting bigger yields, I've found. I'm just friggin' impatient.

Smooth Criminal
Unfortunately D3 requires you to be a bit more patient. Most of my problems when playing is that I also get really impatient and start chucking Gordos out there and making other mistakes. I'm just not used to D3 lacking a viable approach method coming from PM I guess.

He's still so fun to use though, and is easily my best character in this game. I'm going to continue working with him for the time being.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
I've found that the Gordo Throw can punish forward-aerial approaches coming toward His Highness's front. He'll hit the enemy with swing of his mallet and with the Gordo itself dealing a total of around 24% with decent diagonal knockback, although this usually won't be enough to KO even at higher percentages. Long live the King!

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Sup D3 mains! I'm Sonicraft, but I go by the tag Windfish at tournaments currently. I've been playing smash competitively since about 2011-2012 with brawl(mained Olimar), but didn't start going to tournaments until last year. Now I play PM(dropped Brawl for it) and Smash 4 seriously, while I do have Melee that I enjoy at times. While D3 isn't my MAIN main, I would consider him my primary secondary(great wording right?). This is by far my favorite version of D3, and I'll definitely use him when my Villager just won't cut it(Villager pun or no?). Nice meeting you guys! You seem like a nice bunch.

As for Little Mac, I strongly believe that he'll fall on the tier list considerably as the meta progresses. I just won't believe that a character with such bad air game can stay a dominant force. I'm telling ya, as soon as the gimping meta kicks in, we won't be seeing too much more of the Mac.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
As for Little Mac, I strongly believe that he'll fall on the tier list considerably as the meta progresses. I just won't believe that a character with such bad air game can stay a dominant force. I'm telling ya, as soon as the gimping meta kicks in, we won't be seeing too much more of the Mac.
Mac is too strong in neutral to fall off completely. He may get punished hard, but it isn't easy to punish a good Mac player in the first place. He won't dominate or anything, but we'll see a few Macs here and there continue to get good results.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
This'll probably be a long post so apologies in advance...might make a tl;dr at the end of it.

Anyways, I'm Krysco although I'm known as PEW on what is now called Nintendodojo. I've played Smash since 64 and Smash 64 was one of my first games as a kid. I never got into the competitive scene of Smash till the later years of Brawl and I only went to a few online tournaments. I wasn't a fan of competitive Brawl but I still enjoyed playing it with my cousin. I used Dedede a bit in Brawl but I never made use of his chain grab since I found it boring. I'm a Ganon main in Melee, Brawl and P:M and I immediately went to him in Smash 4 but when I found out his gerudo can be teched and he lacks a lot of things he had in P:M I realized I couldn't rely on him as much as I could in previous games. He's still fun but I needed a go-to character and after about 3 weeks of playing I started to rely on Ludwig and Dedede.

First thing I'll mention about my playstyle is that I spam Gordos way too damn much. I get punished for it a lot but I still do it. I've been learning when to use the different angles and have gotten quite a bit of success with it but I take like 50% or more damage per stock from my own gordos (I still win most For Glory matches and matches against my cousin who is a Falcon/Pac-Man main). Overall, I really like Dedede in this game. His ftilt shuts out ground approachs, he has a projectile, he can eat some (I've only eaten a gordo and I believe I've seen a Mario fireball get eaten), he has range, power and he survives for a long time with his weight and good, if predictable recovery. I've also learned today from a Dedede ditto how useful dthrow and nair are so I'll be using them a lot more too. Lastly, I get a lot of ko's from fast fall bair. Like, someone will hit me up with a tilt or a smash or something and then I'll jump dair to keep them away then I either go straight in for the ff bair or I jump a few times and it works a lot. Might just be my opponents not being used to how fast it is but I love it.

As for the questions thrown around so far, I'm like 5'4 or maybe 5'5 ( ;-; I'm short), my first Kirby game was Crystal Shards (first one I beat and another one of my first games ever), I love the Kirby series in general (but not the side games such as Epic Yarn and Canvas Curse but Air Ride is cool), I only use the black palette for Dedede and I don't think I've fought a Little Mac as Dedede but I do use Little Mac so maybe that could help :/. From theory alone I can imagine Little Mac will be a bit of a difficult match up for Dedede. He's fast which from my little ZSS experience Dedede can't handle too well but Little Mac doesn't have a paralyzer or the air game of ZSS so it won't be as bad.

Uhh, tl;dr I'm Krysco and I'm a Dedede main in Smash 4! Pleasure to meet ya!

Genghis_Connor

Smash Cadet
NNID
Genghis_Connor27
3DS FC
4356-1827-2712
Sup Dededes? Figured I ought to introduce myself over here as well. I'm Genghis Connor, though most just call me Genghis. I've taken 3rd in literally every tournament I've entered, from a tiny gathering of a few friends all the way up to Fight Pitt V. I don't know if anyone here saw me on vgbootcamp the other day, and I kinda hope not. I got real bad stream nerves during Winners and Losers finals, and looked like an ass in the process. Hopefully moving forward, I can use what I did in Pools at FP V and get better at controlling myself and the King.

DrewMoney

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banditandrew
3DS FC
3540-0555-2542
Heyyy all. Long time smash player, just as long poster on the boards. Took a few year break due to drama and repetitive of who was the best. I have mained Luigi the earlier games and found Poke trainer my favorite in Brawl. I still hold Luigi close to my heart haha. The king was my 3rd main in Brawl and I loved playing with him. For the 3ds I decided to pick him up as my first main (or second) and try my best to get really good with him. I haven't watch many videos yet due to trying to build my own style of play then add some better techniques later. Honestly I can say I have a blast play with him, I feel you need to be patient and not give up I have had multiple matches were I have been down 1-0 with me having 120% and still beating my opponent. Anyways nice to meet you all, I will probably post here and the Luigi forms. Add me if you'd like I love to play new players and get some good matches in.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Hype! Dedede is easily the best looking figure of the bunch.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Hype! Dedede is easily the best looking figure of the bunch.

This is the one I've been looking forward to the most.

I...

I need it!

I'd also like the Ike one, but I need the King in figure form.
Really, I don't care about what they do. I just want a Dedede figure.

Top Bottom