• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movie Talk!!

frotaz37

Smash Lord
I thought X-Men first class was a pretty enjoyable movie as well. I have a huge soft spot for X-Men though, it's by far my favorite comic series.

I thought the only weak point of the movie was a few points about the Xavier character. The way he treated Mystique seemed out of character...like he was accepting of all mutants but sort of bothered by her powers and appearance. Seemed a little strange.

And what was with the way he always put his hand up to his head when he would use his powers?

It felt a bit cheesy and overused. I don't remember him doing this nearly as often in any of the previous movies. MIND BULLETS!!! -_-

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I've been watching a lot of Netflix recently, watching a bunch of stuff that I should've watched a long time ago. The Fighter is damn good. Also has anyone seen Captain America?

Peeze

Smash Master
Yeah. Everyone really liked it. I thought it was good. 3/5.
Couldn't really find anything wrong with it, but i didn't find is as enthralling as other people did.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Sorry to make another harry potter post, but I saw it today. It was very good, and exciting and actiony; and a very good ending to the series in my opinion. One thing I was kind of confused about though was towards the end
when Harry has the resurrection stone, and then drops it where he was standing before going to die by Voldemort. I haven't really read the books, but wouldn't he take the stone with him to be resurrected?
that was really the only part that confused me. All around great, though.

Also watched "Hostage" tonight. Definitely one of my favorite Bruce Willis movies.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Gatlin:
Harry doesn't need to resurrect himself because he knows Voldemort will kill him and when that happens it'll only kill the part of him that's a horcrux and he'll still live. And the elder wand can't kill him, so he's basically safe and doesn't need the stone. Also I don't know if one could resurrect themselves with the stone, I think it only works with other people.

Peeze

Smash Master
^Maybe thats why it was meh for me.
Also i didnt relate to rogers/captain A. I think if they shot him in the head half way through i wouldn't have cared.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Sorry to make another harry potter post, but I saw it today. It was very good, and exciting and actiony; and a very good ending to the series in my opinion. One thing I was kind of confused about though was towards the end
when Harry has the resurrection stone, and then drops it where he was standing before going to die by Voldemort. I haven't really read the books, but wouldn't he take the stone with him to be resurrected?
that was really the only part that confused me. All around great, though.

Also watched "Hostage" tonight. Definitely one of my favorite Bruce Willis movies.
What Solid said wad wrong, I've read the books so to explain:

The Stone doesn't ressurect people, the movie doesn't do a good job of explaining that for some reason, instead it lets you see and speak to the dead who aren't ghosts. That's why Lupin, Sirius and his parents appear to him, yet when he tries to touch them he can't, because they're not alive they're dead, he can only see them because of the stone. So him holding the stone would make no difference.

Also he never knew that he wouldn't die, the book does a clearer job of pointing out that Harry truely believed he was going to die, and in his speech about the wand belonging to Draco it's clear that even he's not sure if his theory is correct. Plus in the book he doesn't purposely drop the stone, instead it slips through his fingers when he stands in front of Voldemort.

:phone:

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Yeah my bad, forgot he didn't know he wouldn't die until after. But like I said, regardless of whether or not he knew, the stone couldn't resurrect him and didn't really serve a real purpose aside from a morale booster.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
And even then I wouldn't consider it much of a morale booster. I dislike how he said "I'm ready to die" in the film, compared to the book where he said "I'm about to die". The whole point was Harry was supposed to be scared, he wasn't ready to die but he had no choice, he just refused to show his fear to Voldemort and the Death Eaters. By just changing that one word they changed the entire atmosphere of that scene.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Yeah, I definitely agree. I feel like they did a similar thing with the whole ending in a way. For example I liked the part with Neville on the bridge but it took away from the seriousness and despair of the battle. I felt like McGonagall was one of the few to really embody that, I dunno. The whole battle wasn't really how I envisioned it at all.

Gatlin

Thanks for the explanation Solid and Pluvia, makes more sense now. :)

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
The Resurrection Stone is useless.
Also, did anyone else feel disappointed with Bellatrix's death? Molly's expression was not fit at all. It just didn't seem as epic as I would've hoped.
I was dissapointed with how crap the Death Eaters seemed to be in general compared to the book where they're actually threatening and can actually fight.

:phone:

NTA

Smash Lord
I thought X-Men first class was a pretty enjoyable movie as well. I have a huge soft spot for X-Men though, it's by far my favorite comic series.

I thought the only weak point of the movie was a few points about the Xavier character. The way he treated Mystique seemed out of character...like he was accepting of all mutants but sort of bothered by her powers and appearance. Seemed a little strange.

And what was with the way he always put his hand up to his head when he would use his powers?

It felt a bit cheesy and overused. I don't remember him doing this nearly as often in any of the previous movies. MIND BULLETS!!! -_-
Yeah. I didn't really like that either but I guess it could fit with him being younger and all. I think it is kinda overused too though.

Gatlin

The Resurrection Stone is useless.
Also, did anyone else feel disappointed with Bellatrix's death? Molly's expression was not fit at all. It just didn't seem as epic as I would've hoped.
Happened a bit too fast, in my opinion. The scene was only like 20 seconds long.

NTA

Smash Lord
Watched the Gingersnap trilogy about 2 days ago. I liked first one. I didn't like the ending of the second one. And the third one was pretty good too imo.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
So

Paranormal 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB1DVVPyQmA

The midnight release experience of the other 2 were enjoyable enough to where I'm still willing to give this fanchise the benefit of the doubt. I'm not expecting anything greeat but it could be fun. May have to drink beforehand

NTA

Smash Lord
So

Paranormal 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB1DVVPyQmA

The midnight release experience of the other 2 were enjoyable enough to where I'm still willing to give this fanchise the benefit of the doubt. I'm not expecting anything greeat but it could be fun. May have to drink beforehand
I'll try watching that after the second one hopefully. I liked the first one though :D

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Oh god yes, please don't let us down oh Dark Knight.

Want to see Captain America.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
The movie in general didn't really grab me. I liked it, but I never felt really sucked in. And yes, the ending was odd,
but it had to be that way to set up for The Avengers, so it makes sense

NTA

Smash Lord
Hoping to see Captain America soon. Don't think it will be in 3D though lol. I think I'll be seeing Fast Five before that though. Hoping to watch Blitz and 13 soon. They both have Jason Statham. Reason enough to watch it for me.

Crank 2 was a pretty epic movie. I didn't know there was a first one out though. I watched t hat later and I like it but I think the second one was better :D

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Memento is great. His brother is the one who wrote the book it's based on

Mr Wizzrobe

Smash Journeyman
Donnie Darko was a great film. The Butterfly Effect was very similar, even though it was a giant mess.

Anybody who says Nolan is overrated is just dumb. His films are so thought-provoking and thematic, while maintaining other important elements, such as character development and overall direction.

Definitely one of the best directors of the past decade. I'm worried about Martin Scorsese, though. Shutter Island was quite good, but he seems to be losing his touch.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
If you like Memento I would recommend The Game. Or Donnie Darko.

Both are epic
I plan on checking both out soon. I realized this summer how many movies I haven't seen that I've heard amazing things about and I'm trying to watch as many as possible. I've watched quite a few though, which is great.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Speaking of Nolan, don't forget about The Prestige. I just recently saw it and it blew me away. It's one of his best films. I made a Nolan tier list

Memento>Prestige>Inception>TDK>Following>Batman Begins>Insomnia

I don't think Nolan is "overrated" exactly, but it does upset me that he gets so much more attention than almost any other modern director around. While his films are masterfully crafted and unique stories, there are filmmakers doing much more revolutionary and emotional work.

Top Bottom