• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movie Talk!!

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
That is the second person who doesn't find the new Men in Black movie interesting... I greatly enjoyed the series, especially Will Smith's acting. I always wanted a third one and now they are finally giving it a go. :D Sweet!~

Also, don't know why people are all that excited for the next Batman movie. I mean, I'll inevitably see it but... the only reason the people I know liked the second one was because of the godly performance of Heath. The first wasn't interesting, and if you had taken Master Heath (as Johnny Depp calls him) out of Dark Knight, you would be left with the awful voice and generic character of Batman. Then again there was Gotham's White Kni-- oh wait they killed him. The only thing that will save it for me is a boost in Bale's performance so his character is more interesting and likable or that Bane somehow isn't out-shined by The Joker, which everyone will unfortunately compare him to.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
To be fair, I almost always like Bale's acting.
Except Batman is just a stupid character to portray because he's never the interesting character of the movies. It's always the villains that make batman movies somewhat interesting.
I mean, Batman & Robin was interesting because of Poison Ivy and Robin's portrayals, not because of Clooney. I think I've yet to see a batman movie with a good batman

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
The first wasn't interesting, and if you had taken Master Heath (as Johnny Depp calls him) out of Dark Knight, you would be left with the awful voice and generic character of Batman.
Except Batman is just a stupid character to portray because he's never the interesting character of the movies. It's always the villains that make batman movies somewhat interesting.
Batman has great depth compared to most other super hero movies.
And I'm sure a lot of the reason behind the hype is because Nolan is on fire

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
The Batman movies as a whole, sure, depth enough, but Batman as a character, in the comics, he's got plenty of it, but in the movies...

He's just such a shallow character overall.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Most people are excited for TDKR because Chris Nolan has yet to make an outright bad film.

I don't think Nolan's Batman is especially shallow, at least not in TDK where a big part of the film was that Batman is only an effective force against the criminals of Gotham because he is on their level. Batman is just as warped and crazy as most of the villains in the comics. His "only rule" seems to be the only thing that separates him from the villainry...and it's infinitely interesting that he more or less sidesteps that one rule in both of the films but especially in Batman Begins. To my perspective, he murdered Ras al-Ghul. It's interesting that he so steadfastly holds to the philosophy when circumstances show him again and again that sometimes it's just not possible to do. At the end of TDK, we are fooled into believing that The Joker has lost in a moral sense. Batman saves his life and the people on the ferry prove that society isn't inherently selfish and cold...but then it turns around with the final Two Face scene and instills ambiguity into the whole thing, and now Batman's whole philosophy is flipped and rendered useless in the end.

The Joker would not have been half as interesting a character if it weren't for the fact that he brings Batman's duality to light.

Also, while Ledger deserves all the praise he gets for his performance, people tend to over-exaggerate it. Not enough credit is given to Nolan and the screenwriters, who wrote those lines that Ledger delivered so perfectly.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Also, while Ledger deserves all the praise he gets for his performance, people tend to over-exaggerate it. Not enough credit is given to Nolan and the screenwriters, who wrote those lines that Ledger delivered so perfectly.
Yes, but it is notable that the concept for the new take on The Joker's character was Ledger's idea. Though, I am quite useless on giving the source of when they said this, so take that with a grain of salt.

Batman to me didn't have a whole lot of depth, he seems rather consistent and predictable, the light that The Joker shines on him is simply watching him "lose" in a sense, nothing more. He gets angry, he beats up the baddies, he asks the questions, he disappears leaving Gordon alone, his rather inconsistent and strange love for that girl when he always hung around babes from the beginning. Also his reaction to the letter she gave him confused me, where Rachel said she was going to spend the rest of her life with Dent, and he goes, "She was going to wait for me Alfred," or something. No she wasn't, Batman, no.

I don't know, I could be wrong about him, just how it seems to me.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I'm glad Peter Jackson is directing it again. If anything from the LotR universe was ever made again, it would have to be him directing it.

Really looking forward to this movie as I'm a bit of the LotR fan myself (read books and movies, but haven't read the Hobbit, don't think I will before the movie anyway! I'd rather see the movie first, so I don't get disappointed by the movie in comparison.)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
The Hobbit is the ****. I can't believe they are keeping all 13 dwarves in. I was completely expecting them to cut a couple. I love The Hobbit way more than LOTR books. They're splitting the movie in two parts so I'm sure it will be very faithful.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I just watched this trailer yesterday before I watched M:I-GP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWKwat0kpko

I don't know if it's going to be good or bad until I watch it.

And Ghost protocol was so good. I might just watch it again.

Other than that, I'm going to check out some new movies coming out in 2012.
Only that one that might be most anticipated.

So, Is anyone else going to watch the girl with the dragon tattoo?

Matt07

Smash Master
Super pumped for The Hobbit as well! I read the book in grade 9 English (one of the few good books I read in that class...) and loved it :). A film adaptation with director Peter Jackson is going to be epic.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Too bad it won't have TOM BOMBADIL :p

but yeah much hype for the return of Tolkien movies.
The guy playing Bilbo also plays Watson lol. I like that guy

Olikus

Smash Champion
nice trailer. I read the hobbit book ages ago, so dont remeber all. But I do remember I liked it better than the Lotr books. So hopefully the movie is gonna be great too.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Tom Bombadil is in Fellowship, not the Hobbit. He's also the worst part of any book in the history of the world. God I ****in hate that part.
Loooool, you must be so glad they left that out of the movies.

I personally liked the Tom Balbadil part. It didn't add anything to the story, of course, I agree. However, I just love the feeling of the whole Balbadil house and story. Fellowship was the favourite of my books, I didn't really care much for the battles and the dark descriptions of Frodo being almost eaten by the spider (took me 2 months to get myself to read through it).

Maybe this is the movie thread though and not the book thread :)!

mzink*

Smash Ace
Does anybody else remember watching the old animated Hobbit movie? From the 1970's or something I think. I remember watching that over and over when I was a wee one.

The new one looks pretty sweet. I like the actor they chose for Bilbo.

Peeze

Smash Master
So saw MI:4 yesterday. Almost fell asleep a few times. Laughed a few times. :O'd a few times.
But overall not worth the $11 movie ticket. Definitely a rental though.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
MI: GP was way good. First one of the franchise I've seen and it was just super fun

$11 though huh? :c

NTA

Smash Lord
Has anyone seen Fatal Instinct? I may have bad sense of humor but mean and a few friends got some laughs from it if not many.

The 1993 version xD

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
a friend of mine who works at a theater said he walked in on Girl with... right as
there was a **** scene and someone mentioning something about anal

DerpDaBerp's there :awesome:

Olikus

Smash Champion
I heard the american version of girl with the dragon tattoo was even better than the original.

Matt07

Smash Master
Haven't they said that it's actually set in a new universe entirely?

Also, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was absolutely amazing.
Hmm, really? I don't know, I remember reading that its going to be a prequel back when it was first announced, I could be wrong. Either way this is the movie I look most forward to this year.

:phone:

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Also anyone who claims they understood Donnie Darko the first time they saw it is a liar!
I saw it when I was like 8 or 9. I didn't understand why he was shoving his hands down his pants but I somehow understood the main points of the movie. I need to rewatch that.

Anyways, last movie I saw was Sherlock Holmes two and hated it, although as a bit of a self proclaimed movie buffs I went with a lot of people looking for a popcorn flick so I just kept my mouth shut while everyone else went off about how awesome and badass it was.

As for what I like, I love anything Edgar Wright (including Spaced) made if only as a guilty pleasure to be watched over and over again. I also like all of Chris nolan's non--batman films, not that I dislike his batman films.

I'm excited for Hungry Games right now, and TDKR I guess.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
I saw it when I was like 8 or 9. I didn't understand why he was shoving his hands down his pants but I somehow understood the main points of the movie. I need to rewatch that.

Anyways, last movie I saw was Sherlock Holmes two and hated it, although as a bit of a self proclaimed movie buffs I went with a lot of people looking for a popcorn flick so I just kept my mouth shut while everyone else went off about how awesome and badass it was.

As for what I like, I love anything Edgar Wright (including Spaced) made if only as a guilty pleasure to be watched over and over again. I also like all of Chris nolan's non--batman films, not that I dislike his batman films.

I'm excited for Hungry Games right now, and TDKR I guess.
Why didn't you like Sherlock Holmes? :c

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
copypaste

Insidious

Man, I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this movie.

On one hand, it has some of the most tense and scariest setups I've seen in an American horror movie in a long long time. On the other hand it quite consistently undermines and trips over itself. I've never flip-flopped so much watching a movie. Nearly every scene had me thinking "holy **** I'm scared as **** right now-oh, nvm that's stupid as hell-OH MY GOD THAT IS ****ED-.....okay now that is pretty cheesy right there" etc etc. Many scenes feel "incomplete". We cut away from major plot revelations before any character has the chance to react, and often times these major revelations are never even mentioned afterwards.

The first act is really, really solid. A family moves into a new home and soon after one of the little sons falls off a ladder in the attic and goes into a "coma" although there is no brain trauma or any neurological damage. After months of laying in a bed in a hospital, the family decides to bring him home, and just hope that he will someday wake up. Then, as you may have guessed, **** starts to go down.

There is an early scene with a baby monitor that put me totally on edge and had me completely engaged in the movie, and the good buildups and scares continue and gain intensity throughout the first act. It goes from moving furniture cliches to the boy's little brother confessing "I'm scared of Dalton, I don't want to sleep in the same room...I don't like it when he walks around at night." and then even worse.

Things get so bad that the mother (in a pretty flaccid performance by Rose Byrne) calls some sort of witch doctor lady. This is where the movie starts to hiccup. The lady is a normal, nice old friendly type with powerful psychic/supernatural powers, and she has two assistants who do typical Ghost Hunter stuff like EMG readings etc etc. These assistants are meant to be humorous, and while they are slightly funny, I found the comedic relief to be very unwelcome. It really broke up the intensity of the film to have some lame joke characters bumble around looking for ghosts. Most of the plot exposition happens here, and while I really don't like when a character sits down and goes "okay this is what's happening", I admit it's unavoidable because it sets up the final act.

Fortunately things pick up back again, and the last act takes place almost completely in a spiritual realm. This last act really reminded me of Silent Hill and David Lynch. It made me realize that someone COULD make a Silent Hill movie that truly looks like the games. A character wanders around a pitch black labyrinth with nothing but a hand lamp.

With some more polish as far as the screenwriting and a couple of the makeup/character designs go, this could have been one of the new great films of horror cinema. As it is, I'm not so sure. It feels suffocated by its need to rush through things, and to be both comedic and scary at the same time.

Still something I'd really recommend to anyone who likes horror movies. The good scenes and scares are worth all the middling stuff inbetween.

4/5

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
What do any of you think has a chance at an oscar this year? It seemed to be a rather lack luster year, especially compared to the amount of Triple A video games that came out this year.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I think I'm gonna go ahead watching chronicle. It seems very good.

And I am so down for watching Safe House. It looks really amazing.
There's even that one music theme for the trailer that just makes want to watch it even more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M37VucWh06Y
This song is so good. <333

It's gonna be HYPE when it releases!

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The Grey... I must see Liam Neeson vs wolves... please!

Peeze

Smash Master
^Yes really want to see this.

Hollywood is like Liam is too BA to fight against people. He will next fight wolves. Following movie he will fight cancer. then martians. then chuck norris.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Watched the whole Lord Of The Rings (Extended Edition)

As epic as it is....soooo loooong

And I'm further convinced Sam and (Mr) Frodo had something goin on.

Top Bottom