• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movie Talk!!

Amide

Smash Lord
I saw O Brother Where Art Thou for the first time a couple weeks ago. I hate most movies but damn, this movie was fantastic and now I can't stop listening to the Soggy Bottom Boys' #1 hit single.

I love the scene where George Clooney is arguing with the store clerk about Dapper Dan. "I don't want FOP god dammit, I'm a Dapper Dan man!"
I saw it for the first time a few days ago too. I laughed so hard when they started singing that song and the crowd started cheering and they were like. . . What? Awesome soundtrack overall, too.

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
50/50 was really good. It had me tearing up at points.

Just imagining losing my best friend at such a young age to cancer gets to me

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I wouldn't want to talk about it if my aunt was too crazy in the theater.

Obviously, It's a movie of boxing robots and cash. Then leads to a heartwarming moment.

It's just as good as I thought it would be.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I watched Black Swan tonight.

Not gonna lie I thought it was going to be terrible, but I was proven wrong as it was actually enjoyable. You have no idea where the film is going to go and you do question what's real and what isn't as she slowly loses her grip on reality.

Definately don't watch it with your parents though, there are some sexual scenes that are a bit different than the usual sex scenes you get in movies, so I was lucky I watched it with friends.

:phone:

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
That must've been incredibly awkward. Plus the scenes are all slightly longer than you'd expect them to be.

Also I have a thing with feet, I can't see anything bad happen to feet, so I had to look away twice. I can watch people getting thumbs pressed into their eyes in 28 Days Later, horrible things happen to people in Saw, but I can't watch anything happen to feet. I blame watching Misery when I was younger.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I saw it in theatres and thought it was great. but not excellent. Extremely tense and a few cringing moments, that finger skin pull :urg:

A lot of metaphors and whatnot I didn't get when watching, but realised when I read more on the net.

It was awfully awkward. xD
I actually watched it with her twice, haha.

I think she wanted to watch it again because she was secretly turned on by the lesbian scene.
I was thinking more the masturbating scene lol, the lesbian scene was :awesome: I mean Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman omg.

The mother was pretty scary in her own way. Was it her feet that got caught in a door Pluvia? ;)

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
damn y'all, spoiler tags

I've seen it myself, but goddamn,
a lesbian sex scene with Portman and Kunis is a scene worth being surprised by lol

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
The
sex scene
is one of the most talked about things when the topic of Black Swan comes up. I heard about that scene before I even knew what the movie was going to be about.

Black Swan was my favorite movie from last year by a fairly large margin. I took my mom to see it after I'd seen it already. That kind of stuff doesn't bother me or her. I've watched some messed up movies with my mom. It's never really awkward, though the creepy sexual tension between mother and daughter in Black Swan almost made it a little weird, but not really.

I dunno how someone wouldn't be able to understand it though. All the symbolism and metaphors are incredibly obvious and at times over the top.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
I've forced three of my friends to watch it and they all found it slightly boring. I think Black Swan is a movie where you have to watch it with an open mind throughout and not sit there just waiting for certain things you expect. If that makes any sense.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Doesn't bother me as long as it was clear it didn't try to hide the symbolism.
<3 Black Swan. I remember "double-feature"-ing it that day and saw The Fighter right afterward. Not sure how my mood walking into the latter affected the experience

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Yeah, Memento is great. When it came out some critics were all like, "It's only interesting because it's told all backwards, it wouldn't be interesting if it were forward." They are dumb because it would still be a pretty interesting movie if told forward, and secondably, it's NOT told forward, so who cares.

I also just watched the movie Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. I'm surprised I hadn't heard more about it until recently--interesting plot and good acting. It's kinda like a more intense and dramatic 'The Next Three Days'.

Mota

Wasn't planning on seeing Real Steel, but friend wanted to watch a movie.

Not a great film, it drags in some places. But when Hugh Jackman gets all hyped during a fight, you can't help but feel it too. 3/5

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
I am very tempted to see it this week because I've heard from just about everyone that it is scary as ****.

I never saw the second though, so I don't know if it'd affect how well I understand the movie. I pretty much know the gist of the second one though.

Olikus

Smash Champion
I saw paranormal 3 yesterday. its actually pretty different from the others, and by far, by far the scariest one. I didnt get so scared by the previous 2, and going to the 3rd with some understanding of what im going to see, Im suprised it was that scary.

Staz

Smash Lord
I don't think it had to do that much with the 1st and 2nd one. (even though I haven't seen em) but I am pretty sure anyone who hasn't seen the 1st and 2nd would be fine with understand the 3rd one.

Mota

Dang, In Time isn't getting such great reviews. Shame, I really liked the concept :(

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Am I the only one that's noticed that the 28 Days Later music is used in everything. I went to check where the music, In the House - In a Heartbeat, originated and it seems it's from 28 Days Later. Youtube it, you'll probably recognise it from appearing in other movies and tv shows, it appears in Kick-*** for example.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
The Tree of Life

I'm finding it nearly impossible to really articulate my feelings on this movie.

It's like no other film.

Aesthetically, it is by far the most beautiful movie I've ever seen.

If I had to tell someone what it was about in the simplest way...I guess I would say "family". A slightly less simple way would be "it explores the interconnection of all life through the lens of a modern day human's adolescence".

Jack is born, in a sequence that directly mirrors the creation of the universe, the forming of the planets and stars, and the genesis of life on earth. His mother and father plant a tree in the front yard. She smiles down at the baby boy and says "you'll be grown before that tree is tall".

The film tells us "there are two ways. the way of nature and the way of grace." and this is embodied in the father and mother characters. The mother is grace- she is in awe of all things and lives by her love. The father is nature- savage and selfish with a will to control. The boy Jack is torn between these two ideals and this forms the basic struggle of the movie. "Father, Mother..." Jack ponders, "always you wrestle inside me. Always, you will."

The great majority of this movie is perfect to me. I was completely enamored with the childhood sections of the film. I've never seen a movie capture the essence of growing up like this. It gets so many tiny little details right that even though this character comes from a very different upbringing from me, I found myself feeling extremely nostalgic throughout.

Unfortunately, the last 25 minutes of the movie are very wtf and a bit of a letdown. Sean Penn has a rather pointless role as adult Jack. This works alright in bits and pieces, but the last act of the film is more focused on this aspect and....well, I just plain don't understand it. I don't get what the point of it is, and as it is in this version of the film it's pretty indulgent.

Still though, if there is any film on the planet that has me excited at the prospect of the full length six hour version, it is this one. The emotions it conjured in me completely overshadow the flaws it has.

5/5

Top Bottom