• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

my guess for top tiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
But isn't he kinda too slow? I mean, Azen will always be Azen. But metagamewise, is he even fast enough to be considered viable? All of his strongest moves are slower than everything in Melee except Warlock Punch, Falcon Punch and Ganondorf's U-tilt so he can't even combo into them that well.
Well he's slow, but he hits way too **** hard. His range is massive and his hitboxes stay out for a LONG time too. I know I haven't played the game and all, but I have seen videos where Ike is basically getting his *** beat the whole match, but he lands enough blows and punishes enough mistakes (teching to standing is a very bad thing to do against Ike, as it gives him a free easy fsmash) that the Ike would still win.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
Sigh sigh you guys..... you see M2k is just trying to predict what he thinks is gonna be the tier list and we just have to wait for that tier list to come out which will after lots of tourneys are played and See which character wins the most tourneys

Tier list is compiled by tourneys remember this and Tier list changes thats how it was in melee thats how its gonna be in Brawl its all about the Competitive play.

So if you make a tier list remember on what to base it off

LunaEqualsLuna

Smash Apprentice
I don't think I've ever killed anyone (and they didn't even DI) at 100% (let's for argument's sake say the connection doesn't happen while they're off the stage). And it's kinda slow. But it's still strongish. Pit still lacks good KO:ers besides bair, though, IIRC.
His forward smash is strong enough to ko at around 110%.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ike is slow if you use slow moves.

He has enough fast moves with little to no lag to control space and be high tier.

Also quick draw gives him added mobility in a game where mobility is limited.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
i just hope fox's *** up kick got nefed. what an annoying way to have somebody enforce "Thou Shalt Not Land" on you
It's marginally weaker now. He can still combo into it, though.

The thing is that the ceiling has been lowered in Brawl (even for returning Melee stages), so Fox's upsmash will now kill you at around 120% (from 110% in Melee (PAL)).

His forward smash is strong enough to ko at around 110%.
Without DI.

Ike is slow if you use slow moves.

He has enough fast moves with little to no lag to control space and be high tier.

Also quick draw gives him added mobility in a game where mobility is limited.
I just think there are too many characters better than him to be High. I mean, there are others who can do all that + more and KO with moves that don't almost literally have 60 frames of startup.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
LOL. So there is a space limit on who can be high?

If a character is good enough and has enough good match-ups then they are high tier or top tier.

Ike is solid enough to be high tier. I don't think for one second he is as good as Marth, or Pit, or Metaknight.

But he is good enough to be a little below them.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I'm guessing my main man, Mario, is going to be middle tier again, but this time it could be upper middle tier with all the buffs he has gotten. And Mew2King's guesses for top tiers are reasonable. As for Ike, well...he's a beast. Enough said. :)

Andromeda

Smash Lord
I think that the differences between the tiers will be very small compared to the ones in Melee. So I think that the top tiers only will be the most popular characters, not the best.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
so these are the people you are going to main with, how many tier lists have there been now? hah

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I think that the differences between the tiers will be very small compared to the ones in Melee. So I think that the top tiers only will be the most popular characters, not the best.
Characters that actually win tournaments more often are most likely the best. It's quite obvious. Roy was more popular than Marth until people became good with Marth and realize how bad Roy was.

3Years

Smash Lord
idk why but i think that tiers arent gunna make much of a diff. if all the characters are floaty now idk we'll see how it turns out =)

kook321

Smash Apprentice
Yea, not much differents between the characters but there is difinietly an advanatge using a higer tier character.
Curiosly as to why King dedede was not predict to be a high tier.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Yup, I definitely agree with M2K's list. It's no surprise that the characters with the best disjointed hitboxes and best projectiles are are considered great characters. With the reduced hit stun in this game, they can build damage more safely than anyone else.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
It's looking like most characters will be high tier, thank god.

This game seems way more balanced than melee. Good job!

Fader

Smash Cadet
In this topic we suck up to a pro's speculation on the top tier characters.

Seriously, even though this is M2K who dominated and knew practically everything about Melee, his views alone cannot be taken for truth. We need other speculations and observations as well. And please remember, top pros in Melee don't necessarily mean that they'll be top pros in Brawl (although I feel M2K will still be up there).

I'm not saying M2K ISN'T right, I'm just saying that we shouldn't just take his personal speculation for granted right away. It's like the April Fools tier list that was thrown out years ago, with Link being in Top Tier. Let's not jump to conclusions, and question every bit of detail. And yes, to throw things out even more, tiers DO exist. However, not enough people have Brawl yet, and the competitive scene has not gone very far.

If a pro smasher was to tell you that a bottom tier character (not naming any characters) was a top tier, would you agree? Probably not.

P.S. Who isn't Azen good with? Azen = Too good at any game, especially Pokemon Puzzle League.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
LOL. So there is a space limit on who can be high?

If a character is good enough and has enough good match-ups then they are high tier or top tier.

Ike is solid enough to be high tier. I don't think for one second he is as good as Marth, or Pit, or Metaknight.

But he is good enough to be a little below them.
Yeah, since High Tier is right after Top Tier in Smash and if 12 characters are better than Ike (like, a lot, as in, on a different level), then he's gonna be at least in the tier below High (Mid).

Even Guilty Gear XX Accent Core has different tiers (5-6?). It's because unless all characters are the same, there will be different levels. And there are just too many characters much better than Ike for him to be High.

Glitch-Mew2

Smash Journeyman
his list is pretty reasonable. his guesses were my guesses as well. i also believe that DeDeDe, ROB, and G&W will be up there as well.

even though the game is more balanced out, characters that are more versatile (camp-able, projectile spamming, great at close combats) are going to have a good advantage to them, since they are able to switch up their styles to any given situation

Kirby is also alot better too, he may not be all the way up there but he'll higher than mid-tier

Taekmkm

Smash Cadet
Guilty Gear's tier list is more based on match-ups than actual character strength. Jam is high tier, but gets incredibly owned by Testament, top tier, that you would have better luck with Zappa or Bridget, low tier. The Jam player needs a skill gap difference of Azen vs. say your average top 40 MLG-er.

UncleGrandfather

Smash Cadet
I was totally thinking of maining Pit too. Now I probably will because he seems better and better the more I read about it.
I am trying to talk my buddy into maining Olimar just because he seems to be good too. I may end up maining him myself though.
Interesting predictions M2K, You're probably right.

Ken34

Smash Journeyman
Well he's slow, but he hits way too **** hard. His range is massive and his hitboxes stay out for a LONG time too. I know I haven't played the game and all, but I have seen videos where Ike is basically getting his *** beat the whole match, but he lands enough blows and punishes enough mistakes (teching to standing is a very bad thing to do against Ike, as it gives him a free easy fsmash) that the Ike would still win.
i agree, everyone blows ike off cause they see his slow smashes, but what people dont realize is a good ike can ****, his ground game(tilts, jab combo) have deceptive range and they hit HARD, his bair is amazing good, and super fast, and if you do his fair correctly and get the auto cancel, its amazing as well.

BentoBox

Smash Master
It's looking like most characters will be high tier, thank god.

This game seems way more balanced than melee. Good job!
And that is the incoherent conclusion that most seem to be coming to on these boards. Every character has seemingly improved a great deal and all of a sudden, everybody's thinking that their mains-to-be have their shot at top tier (like it mattered). Why is it that such assumptions keep being brought up?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Guilty Gear's tier list is more based on match-ups than actual character strength. Jam is high tier, but gets incredibly owned by Testament, top tier, that you would have better luck with Zappa or Bridget, low tier. The Jam player needs a skill gap difference of Azen vs. say your average top 40 MLG-er.
As opposed to Smash where individual matchups are also a part of the tierlist? Seriously, if a character beats Top Tiers but gets incredibly owned by low tiers, then their placement in the tiers will suffer.

Zelda is a perfect example of this. She didn't get particularly owned by the Tops and Highs. She did fairly well. She's really low on the tierlist because she gets destroyed by the Low Tiers (in Melee, that is).

Then there's Peach who's basically the equivalent of AC-Millia. Pretty even matchups all the way except for the tops and she stays high. And there's Low Tiers Roy and Link who can play deceptively well against the Tops.

Some people have bad matchups lower on the tierlist. But overall, they're good, which is why they're high.

i agree, everyone blows ike off cause they see his slow smashes, but what people dont realize is a good ike can ****, his ground game(tilts, jab combo) have deceptive range and they hit HARD, his bair is amazing good, and super fast, and if you do his fair correctly and get the auto cancel, its amazing as well.
It won't be deceptive if the opponent knows about it. Unless the Ike is facing someone who hasn't faced Ike a lot before, his deceptive range will mean squat (if his opponent is also good, that is).

His fair is so slow, people will shieldhop you on reaction so the auto-cancel won't mean squat.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
And that is the incoherent conclusion that most seem to be coming to on these boards. Every character has seemingly improved a great deal and all of a sudden, everybody's thinking that their mains-to-be have their shot at top tier (like it mattered). Why is it that such assumptions keep being brought up?
Do you even know what incoherent means? And this has nothing to do with my main at all, it has to do with all of the characters.

PR3Y11

Smash Journeyman
haha... my guess was that olimar would be one of the top tiers too, he's just ridiculous, fighting olimar is the equivalent of fighting a marth in melee for me

Mama

Smash Ace
Good to hear about Ike. I'm no FE fan (yet) but I think Ike is cool.

Also people need t realize that tier lists are always present in fighting games. Thats just the way it is and it wont change just because Brawl came after Melee. People who are hoping for a game with no tiers are simply SoL.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Good to hear about Ike. I'm no FE fan (yet) but I think Ike is cool.

Also people need t realize that tier lists are always present in fighting games. Thats just the way it is and it wont change just because Brawl came after Melee. People who are hoping for a game with no tiers are simply SoL.
Just about. They have this mindset in which no matter which character they choose, every character is equal, even if there's a match between a swordsman with huge range, speed, and power goes up against a swordsman with a butterknife and a cape used for shielding in a fighting game.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Do you even know what incoherent means? And this has nothing to do with my main at all, it has to do with all of the characters.

2 incoherent
without logical or meaningful connection;

in·co·her·ent (
n
k
-hîr
nt)adj.1. Lacking cohesion, connection, or harmony; not coherent:

yes, do you?

How can most characters possibly be high tier? Most characters are seemingly good therefore most characters are high tier? Would there be a need for tiers at all if they're all occupying the same spot? Obviously not. It doesn't matter how good you think a character is, and how thin the line may be between tops, mids and lows is also irrelevant. Melee standards do not apply here.

orochizoolander

Smash Rookie
This is a really stupid thread theres no possible way to tier characters in a game that hasn't even been out for a month yet, correct me if i'm wrong but last time i checked toptiers are based on who had the most good matchups and the fewest bad ones which is impossible for anyone to know given brawl hasn't been out that long.

Theory fighter is broken lol.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the characters will be equal, I just think the tiers in brawl will be closer together than in melee. Don't worry, you cigarettes will have your top tier chars again :psycho:

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
This is a really stupid thread theres no possible way to tier characters in a game that hasn't even been out for a month yet, correct me if i'm wrong but last time i checked toptiers are based on who had the most good matchups and the fewest bad ones which is impossible for anyone to know given brawl hasn't been out that long.

Theory fighter is broken lol.
I think you don't get that he's just making a guess to see how it will stack up to the real tier list once it comes out. Obviously he knows that this isn't a tier list.

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
I agree with most of his guesses, actually. I also know Ike will be a lot better than people are assuming.

People with the mentality that tiers don't exist are just being silly, though I disagree with people who dismiss it as being decided only by tournament results. It is more a matter of match ups than it is a matter of tourney results.

Games with no real tournament scene can have tier lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom