• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

my guess for top tiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
Who cares dude dont worry about this until we get the game! Just focus on the gamestop tournament right now dude lol

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
Er, right. This topic should be locked. All of the other Tier topics have been locked, and this was a topic revival. Give it a few months!

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don't think the tier list is going to be as dramatic in brawl as it was in melee.. In melee the characters were soo drastically different that people fussed over who was better, who was not so good, and it evolved into what we call the "tier list"..

but in brawl, i don't really see any characters that are drastically "worse" or "better" than others.. imo the tier list is going to be forgotten in brawl..
That's what I am expecting. Most of the worse characters were removed from Brawl or made better. Also, without wavedashing and L-canceling, there won't be broken characters (Fox and Sheik). The game will be a lot more balanced.

I assume the lowest characters are going to be ones who are best in 4vs rather then 1v1s (i.e. Ness).

Valdens

Smash Ace
Kind of stupid that M2K gets special treatment and his tier topic isn't locked, whereas EVERY other one was. Favorites, anyone?

benf

Smash Rookie
M2K I appreciate you trying your best to convey with words how the game looks as of now.

Everyone else ****ing seriously quit making the thread 3x as long and don't **** all over it.

OMG DUDEZ SAKURAI TOOK OUT WAVEDASHING SO WE WOULDN'T HAVE TO READ THESE WAAH WAH WAH

edit: **** spelling

Waddle

Smash Ace
Wait a ****in second. I thought you, M2K, didnt like Brawl. I thought I read someplace or heard somewhere that you didnt really like Brawl that much. What is with the Change of Heart (The Yugioh card)?

benf

Smash Rookie
Waddle it takes ****ing a ton (notice this number is not concrete) of time and effort to fully explore a games true depth and enjoyability.

M2K is making threads like this that you **** all over because he wants to know if the game that is driving everyone crazy is worth it, just like I DO.

Waddle

Smash Ace
Ive played Brawl before, benf. And I know it probably takes a ton of play to actually like it. Ive played it for 2 hours and quite frankly, I dont really like it. If M2K can change his mind and actually get into this game, it must be pretty good after all :).

benf

Smash Rookie
Waddle I'm going to be a big hypocrite within just a matter of posts in this thread:

Sorry for singling out what you said, I just hate how its so easy for me, you, and everyone else to fill a thread up with meaningless bull**** that makes the rea info harder to find.

I am very frustrated with the average post intelligence on thread where the entire topic is about who can most easily win the game.

Metzger

Smash Apprentice
Honestly most of your picks match what I've seen so far, with a couple differences.

I'm not sure Falco is going to stay up that high in the end. I think he's clearly better than Fox now, but I'm not sure about him and Wolf. Not a fan of the new mechanics of Falco's reflector. Could go either way I guess, I think it'll come down to who has better aerial priority between the two and I'm not sure who that really is yet.

Marth... ah Marth, master of F-Air spam. Looking at the other potential "top tier" characters right now I actually think this will move Marth closer to where he is now on Melee's tier list, because most of the other top tier match-ups are going to be against some powerful campers. Toon Link and Pit in particular are going to be hard for him in the long run, I think, and you're definitely going to see a lot of those two (probably regardless of how good they really are).

My personal wildcards are Diddy Kong and Samus. I don't think Diddy's recovery is anything to write home about, but he seems to have some ridiculous combo potential (priority may hurt him, though?). Samus - personally I think Samus got some really nice buffs that seem to be flying under the radar, and she's still got her crazy recovery and a good weight advantage in what are likely to be common tourney match-ups. Sure, her projectile game is not quite as strong as Melee, but she is still a ridiculous camper and both her ground and aerial game seem to have been stepped up a notch to compensate. My only question regarding Samus right now is whether or not she's got enough KO power in her limited kill shots to seal the deal with enough regularity.

Obviously, tier discussion like this isn't very meaningful given there's been so little time with the game, but I think it's still entertaining regardless. I'm excited to see just how much the Smash community is going to uncover in the coming months that will shake up what we think right now about Brawl - looking back on discussions like this will probably be just as funny as it was with Melee; Ganondorf for top tier, amirite?

S0X

Smash Cadet
I think wolf is top tier and so is Lucario there both really solid characters.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
Kind of stupid that M2K gets special treatment and his tier topic isn't locked, whereas EVERY other one was. Favorites, anyone?
[Do you know why M2K's thread isn't closed? It's because M2K was the one that made the comprehensive SSBM list that had about every piece of information Melee-worthy ever. And this isn't a tier list, per say, this is a list of who he thinks will be the best at the game. Singling out 5-6 characters who might be the best is not taking all 35 characters and placing them on a list because people want to. I personally think that Marth, Olimar and Pit will be top tier characters (along with, my personal opinion, Snake). It's just a matter of saying "very knowledgeable opinion>scrub opinion."

And from talking to M2K, he does hate Brawl, but is still looking to be the best at it.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
I really wish that all these people who supposedly "hate Brawl" would send us people who want to play it their copies and go back to Melee quietly. Hell, if it weren't so close to English release I'd even pay 'em for it.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I've heard GaW is broken according to WC players. IDK. Otherwise I agree with this list.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I really just want to know why this kid is above the rules?
M2K?

He is arguably the best Melee player in the world. He's created numerous strats and data for the Melee community, and just plain owned at the game. Now he is doing the same for the Brawl community.

His name now stands out in the community after all he has done, aka, he's someone who "matters", unlike yourself.

Also, keep in mind he's just posting his opinion. I think the opinion of one of the greatest players worth reading compared to random noobs who think they'll finally be good at smash once Brawl is out. Is this to hard too understand?

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
That's what I am expecting. Most of the worse characters were removed from Brawl or made better. Also, without wavedashing and L-canceling, there won't be broken characters (Fox and Sheik). The game will be a lot more balanced.

I assume the lowest characters are going to be ones who are best in 4vs rather then 1v1s (i.e. Ness).
The lack of wavedash and l-cancel will actually serve to make other characters crappier.

Slow guys like Ganondorf and Bowser relied heavily on these to speed them up so they could compete with the fast people. Now they're doomed to be slow and laggy forever unless something new comes up.
Lots of characters were actually made more balanced by wavedashing. Luigi, Ice Climbers, and Mewtwo, for example, would have been nearly useless in competitive play without wavedashing.
Wavedash and l-cancel are not what made Fox, Falco, Marth, and Sheik top tier. Without those two things, they were still much better than the majority of the cast.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
In Melee, Fox, Falco, Marth, and Sheik still **** the most of the cast without advanced techniques LOL (especially Sheik and Marth).

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
That's true, they lose so much combo potential...but...the rest of the cast, like low tiers and such, are also extremely worse. Fox and Falco don't have as much lag as other characters do when missing L-cancels, plus Fox still has speed, up throw Uair, and upsmash while Falco has lasers, Dair, and Fsmash.
Alot of casual players think Fox and Falco are amazing even without seeing them played competitively.

Anyways, yeah, let's get of this topic, I mean, advanced techniques don't make effect whether or not the cast is balanced or not, especially since they applied to every character, not just 1.
Oh wait, in Brawl, there's techniques which are very useful that only some characters can do...talk about balanced, eh?

Fletch

Smash Master

OrlanduEX actually addressed this from the opposite side, but wavedashing and l-canceling actually balanced the game way more by allowing characters to keep up with Sheik.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
No tier list topics. You want to discus tiers, use the topic in Tournament Discussion (unless it was moved to tactical brawl disc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom