• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NCSU Smash Rehash - Series 1 - "Fists Will Fly At This Location" [9/03/11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
its true, I'm only a Cookin Cadet atm, but I'm looking to reach that Master Chef level soon. please teach me jaurice =D

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Hey, since this is like an "experimental series" or whatever...

I was randomly looking around the boards and came across the thread in the melee discussion, discussing the swiss format for use instead of round-robin pools. (Using the swiss format's results to seed a traditional double elim bracket). I attended a tourney like that *forever* ago (think 03/04, I think it was a MunkAid, or it might have been up in the mountains- Ashe County maybe?) and remembered it was lots of fun, lots of matches, and iirc it went pretty quick. Maybe something you might want to check into/think about including?

Incase you aren't familiar with Swiss (I don't have the link handy, but its in the melee discussion forum) your split the entrants into a top/bottom half based on skill (usually through some outside rating system; chess uses ELO... and there's no standard like that in smash) so I suppose you could do it randomly; it shouldn't be hard to be like: "Ok, these dudes are obviously the top 15 players, these aren't... split the group along that line."

Anyway... split them in half, and pair them up randomly (one top half, one bottom half) and let them play. Winner gets +1 point, loser gets +0. Next round; put two 0's vs one another, and two 1's vs another. Next round; pair the +2's together, the +1's together, the +0's together- so on and so forth. You wind up with people close to the same skill level playing one another which winds up separating those handful of players that are close together in skill that you might not be able to really differentiate via traditional pools.

After all that, seed accordingly based on the numbers.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
hey that sounds fun...might have to try that sometime o.o

Ya, in the link they do some discussion on it and it turns out that its actually quicker than traditional RR pools, yet players wind up playing more matches/sets. If I can ever find a decent venue in the HKY area, and have free time...ill host a tourney (been meaning to for a long while) and def use this. but yeah, check it out... im sure you'll have time by 202-something. =P

Stockfield

Smash Champion
I like The Swiss format.

I've played it before, not with Brawl but when I used to go to Yugioh Tourneys that's the system that was used.

:phone:

Stockfield

Smash Champion
Lolololol I just noticed that the title said "Fist will fly at this" not "**** will fly at this location".....Definitely read that completely wrong.

archer.

Smash Lord
Well I was thinking about bringing my kids to this but I guess that's not gonna happen now.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
also, Im making a door fee just cuz I saw how ****ty NC Brawl was with setups at g6. come on, there were 4 setups and georgia brought 3 of them =/ thats pathetic.

so you either give me $2 or bring a setup. your choice :chuckle:

if this still doesnt work, then the next door fee will be higher, so bring setups !!

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I think I've already gotten one local to come to this. I'm working on getting another. and hopefull I can pull Mizu to this.

Stockfield

Smash Champion
Hey Rocket next time you make the PR picture and I'm on there can make sure you put my name as Stockfield not just Stock please.

pooka216

Smash Cadet
Hey im kinda new to the whole tournament scene and me and my friend have been looking for one to go to in Raleigh for a while. Like does everyone kinda know each other and is everyone various ages because we are juniors in high school. I have no problem meeting new people of any age or anything i just don't know what these tournaments are like...

Stockfield

Smash Champion
Tournaments are awesome man you and your friend should definitely come.

We have people of pretty much all ages so it's cool. Don't worry about not knowing anyone, we welcome anyone and everyone.

Except for Jreece.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
yeah theres high school and college kids alike at these...just cuz its at a college doesnt mean anything. feel free to come =] its for everyone.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Yeah, I've been coming to these since I was a Sophomore in High School. It's totally cool for you to be coming to these.
Exception being Jreeece.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
In fact if you meet someone called jreece you should probably not talk to him because he's not supposed to be there in the first place probably. Also steal his doorag and give it to me plz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom