• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ness discussion

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Brawl combos have been reduced to "hits in a row without getting hit by your opponent".

And even that doesn't hold true all the time. :/

Peek~

Smash Lord
Official Ness moveset power rankings

1. Dair
2. Uair
3. Grab
4. Utilt
5. Bair
6. Dsmash
7. Usmash
8. JAB
9. Nair
10. Fair
9001. Magnet/Absorb
9000000000001. Fsmash

The Star King

Smash Hero
Ness's Uair is my favorite move :(

Bair is definitely better than Dsmash.

Jab is too high.

PSI Magnet is awesome in teams.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
and dair over uair????
if your good enough to combo fair/nair with ess then they instantly become better than jab three fold.
if your not then i could see why jab is higher

DMoogle

A$
I can definitely see d-air over u-air. Ness' d-air is arguable the second-best spike in the game, and possibly the best tech-chasing move in the game.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
I can definitely see d-air over u-air. Ness' d-air is arguable the second-best spike in the game, and possibly the best tech-chasing move in the game.

Dair:
best tech chaser in the game
Great for spiking
weak at approaching most characters from above
weak at approaching most characters from the side
Great for shield breaking

Uair
Great to spam/juggle heavies upto %50 region.
Great combo starter into nair/fair/usmash/utilt
Great coverage from above approaches.
good coverage from side approaches
near perfect for approaching most characters from below
good for approaching some characters from side
Great for shield breaking

imo uair>dair

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Yes, uair can be used to "approach" when they are above you (I would usually call this a defensive move rather than an approach, but whatever), but dair is very good when they are below you too. It's actually better in some ways because when you are above someone you can vary the speed of your approach by fast falling.

And for approaches from the side dair > uair as well because of the better hitbox when you do it with Ness's extended horizontal DJC.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
uair does not have a good reverse hitbox (trades hits too much) and Ness's horizontal djc is much better when used in reverse. It's also better when used from above than below

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Erm, the reverse hitbox for uair is way better than dair. Not only is the hitbox larger, but his entire head is invincible.

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/5238/nessuair.gif
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/6572/nessdair.gif
No, because the hitbox moves forward as you are doing the horizontal DJC. By the time you are at the end of it the hitbox is on the wrong side.

and most utilt's/uairs beat dair anyway i.e approaching from above not a good option.
Approaching from above gives you way more options than approaching from below. But anyway, I'm actually talking about approaching from the side, but using Ness's horizontal DJC to get above them and hit them with the dair.

Peek~

Smash Lord
I kind of want to know why Peek put jab over Nair and Fair.
Mainly for its pressure followups/antigrab(though shieldjump+quick spike is better)

Peekjab uses:

Jabgrab
Jab -> Grab (After the 1st hit[offguard], works after the 3rd as well[techchase or catch])
Jab -> Quick jump spike (Pressure[offguard], possible to repeat)
Jab -> Spike/Nair (1st hit knocks them off platform. Example )

Jab combo somewhat(still testing %s)
Spike -> Jab(3rd hit ONLY) -> Spike if edge of platform (example)

Of course jab has to connect in order to do anything of this. Otherwise PREPARE TO BE GRABBED if youre past the jabgrab stage

Fairs only real use is Fair chains which can sometimes be started by Nair. Nair can lead to spike/bair after a spike/usmash/utilt. It also has some tent potential but being a dreamland player...you know

Im actually thinking I should have put PK Thunder over Fair

DMoogle

A$
and most utilt's/uairs beat dair anyway i.e approaching from above not a good option.
In practice, this rarely happens (except for vs. Falcon's u-air or Kirby's u-tilt).

Trading hits IS fairly common, but Ness is pretty good at gaining the upper hand immediately after trading hits.

The Star King

Smash Hero
No, because the hitbox moves forward as you are doing the horizontal DJC. By the time you are at the end of it the hitbox is on the wrong side.
Dair is still also a mediocre horizontal DJC option with it's meh hitbox. Bair outclasses both of them for horizontal DJC, anyways, so it doesn't matter.

Horizontal DJC isn't the only way to approach, either. You can often run under an opponent in the air and start DJC uairing under them, which beats most aerial approaches due to the ridiculous hitbox and the head being invincible. Didn't you see the posted vid of Sima?

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Yes ... but in my experience people don't just run into uairs often. They will outspace them from the side or time an approach between them. I'm watching an old video of mine (here) and Pika's grab goes right through djc uair spam.

I guess it depends on your definition of "approach". I wouldn't consider playing defensively with djc uairs to be an "approach".

blaze3927

Smash Ace
i would consider going to the point i think they will be at next, and attacking is considered an approach.
f.e dash djc uair. makes a great approach compared to djc dair:
ill see if i can find my old ness videos and reupload them. people dont usually just run into djc uair, but it can be used in many ways
a pivot uair/bait uair/dash uair/pivot dash uair. because its so fast and has great range/coverage.

and @ moogle this actually happens a lot, ness ditto's utilt kills the dair from above/kirby utilt/pika utilt/falcon usmash/falcon uair/pika uair/link utilt/fox ftilt.
the only way it would trade hits is if ness finishes his dair about his body height off the ground, which would mean either quite a bit of ending lag, or quite a bit of startup, any higher/lower and the speed at which a utilt comes out would beat it.
its actually rarer to see it trade hits.

Peek~

Smash Lord
Official Ness Matchups I like Power Rankings

1. Vs Yoshi
2. Vs Luigi
3. Vs Samus
4. Vs Juggs
9000. Vs Kirby
9001. Vs Falcon
9002. Vs Fox

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I think Mario should be up there. It's a challenge and it's fun to fair chain him.

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
i don't think falcon is the worst match up for ness. I would say that falcon can be stronger depending on the stage, but ness can amply defend himself. I would say his lesser match ups would be pikachu an fox for sure.

The Star King

Smash Hero
i don't think falcon is the worst match up for ness. I would say that falcon can be stronger depending on the stage, but ness can amply defend himself. I would say his lesser match ups would be pikachu an fox for sure.
Maybe you should re-read the title of that chart. It was ranking the matchups in terms of enjoyment, not how good they are for Ness.

Peek~

Smash Lord
Im out of ranking ideas, ill come up with something soon I hope

Anyway I stopped 3 kirby fsmashes with ftilt couple of days ago, felt awesome

wiscompton

Smash Rookie
tit's give me so many issues. usually when i know i need to use one i'm too caught up in the moment and it turns into a fsmash. lol, i just can't calm down enough to use them effectively.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
tit's give me so many issues. usually when i know i need to use one i'm too caught up in the moment and... i just can't calm down enough to use them effectively.
PHP:
<script type="text/javascript">
function toggleMe(a){
var e=document.getElementById(a);
if(!e)return true;
if(e.style.display=="none"){
e.style.display="block"
}
else{
e.style.display="none"
}
return true;
}
</script>

<input type="button" onclick="return toggleMe('para1')" value="Toggle"><br>
<p id="para1">
bahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahaha
</p>

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
^^ at least use a collapse section<_<

@Wiscompton even I know what you meant... But tit's... Really?
That makes it even funnier. lol

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I can see how samus would be an easy match up: I've seen her charge up ball of energy deflected many a time. You can also deflect foxs's, but you are never fast enough to get his second one, so he can get quite annoying. Best bet with fox is to get whatever small hits on him you can, and either get lucky and baseball bat him closer to the end, or grab him. I like to play on 200 percent dmg however, so i just grab him and he's a dead fox.

Top Bottom