• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(New)ChallengerApproaching! Roy!(Moved to LSTForums, Decloned RoyV1 is out)

Xis66

Smash Cadet
Rick roll? I've seen this link before! And nothing that would bring my pee to boil more than this be something i asked for and find out its something thats A-holishly not what I wanted or possible a video that starts off what I want then suddenly switches to some washed up singer singing an 80s hit on youtube.....nah your not that much of a jerk i"m going to watch your speedily replied video thanks alot :)

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Rick roll? I've seen this link before! And nothing that would bring my pee to boil more than this be something i asked for and find out its something thats A-holishly not what I wanted or possible a video that starts off what I want then suddenly switches to some washed up singer singing an 80s hit on youtube.....nah your not that much of a jerk i"m going to watch your speedily replied video thanks alot :)
Trolololol

Anyway, does this Roy have L cancelling? Or reduced landing lag?

:phone:

Thany

Smash Journeyman
I would say that Roy has practically non-existant landing lag on all aerials :3 (Would that be Auto-L canceling? Not up on par with my SmashBros terms...)

*working on something swords dance related*

EDIT

OP update~

The 3rd hit of the Swords dance, Double Edge Dance(AKA, Marvelous combination) has had its 3rd hit changed(aerial, and grounded) to be a slightly angled horizontal
slash, as opposed to Marth's which goes sorta up and around.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Oh.

Well in that case(after going to training mode with 1/4th speed) he appears to have almost non-existent landing lag, as opposed to auto cancel.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Update.
Side B's 3rd down attack has been changed to be like Melee's, and I've re-made counter.

Counter...
That was the literal first animation I ever made for Roy...It's been remade and looks a billion times better now...
*sniff*
My animating skills have truly blossomed in such a short amount of time! ;w;

Oh...By the way, if you don't grab the updated moveset file, the speed of the third down hit will be all messed up and waaaay too slow.

Be sure to take both! Two for one deals! >:Dc

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
That may be so, but it's better to actually have criticism so you can improve, rather than only being told that something is fine. The animations are very stiff. The third down hit doesn't flow from the previous slash because he is standing up instead of crouching a bit like the other third hits.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
It took 8 attempts to get that animation done.

I had him crouching and going into the attack for the first 3-4 tries, but that just kept messing up and making him flip around instead of turning. Given how fast it goes now, it's not like it's that problematic.

And what exactly is wrong with counter?

Thany

Smash Journeyman
@Toaster
If you pause in Melee after he's about to counter attack, it jumps from a frame of his defense stance immediately into a frame where he's got the sword above his head. No transition between otherwise. Instant. Whip out Melee and check why don't you? Roy's few unique animations were weird looking anyway. His left leg must be made of steel, given how all practically all of his weight is on it while bending it during his taunt.

Any other "stiffness" may also come from cleaning animations, as that tends to make them more jagged and twitchy. And back to the third down hit, I was more concerned about giving it a mostly-Melee-esque look and without killing its range. Plus given how the crouch-to-standing animation from the early attempts made him flip around like he was on a gravity-defying sugar high in-game, but not in the BBox preview, I scrapped it.(Yes, I've tested all 8 iterations of this animation I made in-game, too, groaning for each I time felt it isn't what I wanted it to be and marching back to the comp in the other room.)

And if you want to add some sort of "criticism" to help me improve, don't say it like this:

I'm sorry, thany, but the counter hit and third down hit animation are just quite terrible. :/
First of all, regardless of what you think, don't just bluntly say it's terrible. That's not something that's going to make me want to improve on previous work, it's going to infuriate me. Insulting me or my work is like trying to motivate me with a drill sergeant. It's not going to motivate me in anyway, except in wanting to claw the offender's eyes out. I mean you didn't even state what you thought was wrong with it until later, which feels more like being a jerk or a bully or the internet term "troll". You should've said something more along the lines of;

"That looks pretty nice, but have you considered editing the beginning frames to have it transition smoother?"

Or maybe;

"Counter looks quite nice. But the retaliation portion of it appears to be a little stiff from frames X to Y to me. Could you look into this?"

I happen to be a very fragile, timid and sensitive person, almost childlike in many ways. I can't really speak for you, but I can only assume that you wouldn't appreciate people saying things like "Ew, that's awful" about things you've put alot of time, sweat, tears, effort, heart and soul into. No one does, it hurts. It's never necessary to hurt others, when they could get their point across in a more mature manner.

And you know what? I think they're fine for my skill level. If others have a problem with it, I may make some touch ups in the future if they can ask in a polite, civil and kind manner.

But I am not going to change it for your sake. You could've been alot less harsh with your remarks, but you chose not to. You no longer fall within the realm of people I wish to please with this project. If it bothers you so much, make your own Roy, or go find another one, I can't say I'd be bothered. You can apologize if you wish, but I am not known for my forgiveness. "Do unto others..."

UPDATE

Figure I should do something productive with this post in terms of Roy, so I'm going to add some codes to help stabilize the port of him over Ike.

~IKE slot codes(Roy/Marth over Ike)~
Ike has 1 Jab??
04B0B9B0 00000001

Ike has 2 Jabs
04B0B9B4 00000002

Ike has 1 F-Smash
04B0B9C0 00000001

For anyone that uses Roy over Ike(I personally switched to R.O.B. for now) these codes will stabilize him more. The "Ike has 2 Jabs" codes is the only one I've really needed, but the others are there as a just in case measure.

Roy's PSA technically does have 2 "A" attacks, but the second "A" attack is mapped to his first one, so it still functions in-game as one Jab.

Royal_Blade

Smash Apprentice
May I suggest that you add in crawling but have it not crawl.

Because some people may use the port on Yoshi but don't use codes. (Like myself, things work just fine) But since Yoshi can crawl but the Roy (or whoevers being ported) can't do it, it freezes. So could you make a crawl that just functions as a crouch? So it might not freeze and Roy (Yoshi) will still think it can crawl but in reality it can't.

If you want to you can. It's not a necessity but it would be a nice thing to have. (For those who are using the port on Yoshi)

Infernape99

Smash Cadet
@Toaster (Originaly Posted By Thany)
Roy's few unique animations were weird looking anyway.
True...
---------------------
Don't worry thany your AWESOME doing all this animations don't pay attention to him it's your work to his work

camerino1

Smash Lord
Not to sound mean after what just happened, but did you try and test out the FS I gave earlier? If not it's ok, I was just wondering if you tried it :).

Wolfric

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GoodLuckTrying
Thany, criticism wrong spoken is criticism you should ignore. ^^

Also, remember to tell me if you want a video. :3 I could up some matches of Roy vs Marth and a match showing the whole moveset using Youtube's caption thingy.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
You shouldn't ignore criticism. If you don't receive criticism, then you won't know what to edit to make better.

ST was just directly pointing out things that may look incorrect and that's fine. You guys just thought he was being mean because he didn't compliment your work(not that it this project is made of shoddy work) or sugar coat what he was saying.

He was just being concise and direct.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer

Because some people may use the port on Yoshi but don't use codes. (Like myself, things work just fine) But since Yoshi can crawl but the Roy (or whoevers being ported) can't do it, it freezes. So could you make a crawl that just functions as a crouch? So it might not freeze and Roy (Yoshi) will still think it can crawl but in reality it can't.

If you want to you can. It's not a necessity but it would be a nice thing to have. (For those who are using the port on Yoshi)
IIRC a character like yoshi had CrawlData while marth(Roy) does not. You can't add CrawlData. You would need to port everything onto yoshi and build it from scratch, I would think.

Wolfric

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GoodLuckTrying
You shouldn't ignore criticism. If you don't receive criticism, then you won't know what to edit to make better.

ST was just directly pointing out things that may look incorrect and that's fine. You guys just thought he was being mean because he didn't compliment your work or sugar coat what he was saying.

He was just being concise and direct.

He was direct in some way, but this is not what is needed, what is needed is to actually SAY why is it bad, not just lay ahead this:

I'm sorry, thany, but the counter hit and third down hit animation are just quite terrible. :/
I'm not saying he's wrong. I, myself find most of the new animations "stiff"... And that's something that's 'caused due to Thany being new at this. I'm sure even her knows this, but that'll be fixed with practice.

I know standartoaster wasn't saying that to annoy anyone, he did as criticism, but it was expressed wrong and the reaction Thany had and I had was to be expected. Don't consider criticism or feedback something you type in 10 seconds for the heck of it.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Ah, well even if something like that is said, just ask them to give a better description. :)

also, @Thany, Ike has one fsmash code? I thought Ike already had one fsmash...

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
For the codes you posted earlier, it would make more sense to me to add in a code for one jab only, instead of having it in psa jab2 going to jab1. Just my opinion.

Also, quite sorry for how rude I came off. I'm not very good at pointing something out without it coming off as rude. I will try harder in the future.

If you could try and edit the third hit down animation so it flows better from the crouch to stand, I think that would definitely improve it quite a bit. It just looks awkward going from crouch to immediately standing.

When you were animating before and he was turning around in game, wasn't it because you used some bone like TopN?

Wolfric

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GoodLuckTrying
For the codes you posted earlier, it would make more sense to me to add in a code for one jab only, instead of having it in psa jab2 going to jab1. Just my opinion.

Also, quite sorry for how rude I came off. I'm not very good at pointing something out without it coming off as rude. I will try harder in the future.

If you could try and edit the third hit down animation so it flows better from the crouch to stand, I think that would definitely improve it quite a bit. It just looks awkward going from crouch to immediately standing.

When you were animating before and he was turning around in game, wasn't it because you used some bone like TopN?
Next time avoid doing a 10 seconds time post pointing something out that directly without explaining, please, 'cause it'll come out as rude no matter how you look at it... If you want to give feedback, do it as you are doing it right now .And yeah, most of the codes are useless other than the Jab. (I do agree with you on the "Stiff" thing, but I'll see how I can help on this matter)

I'm learning animating myself, Thany, hoping to see if I can help you a bit with this. ^^

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Big responding post time. Here goes.

Like...Codes to disable the Yoshi Slot's ability to crawl? No prob. I'll put more codes up on the OP in a little while for the other characters Marth PSAs can go over. They be Ike, Yoshi, Ness and R.O.B. without adding entry/result disabling codes I think. R.O.B. needs no codes, as his constants match up with Marth's perfectly.
Not to sound mean after what just happened, but did you try and test out the FS I gave earlier? If not it's ok, I was just wondering if you tried it .

Erm...Not yet, I'm afraid ^_^''' But I was thinking that implementing the new FS should be a latter addition, so that way I could package the complete download with both the new FS, as well as one that has Critical Hit with Fire. Just to give people a choice :3

Also, remember to tell me if you want a video. :3 I could up some matches of Roy vs Marth and a match showing the whole moveset using Youtube's caption thingy.
Hrm. If you'd like you can go ahead. But be sure to include the date that you record it so that...Uhh...Well it has to do with what "version" of Roy they're seeing in action. Future changes and whatnot.

also, @Thany, Ike has one fsmash code? I thought Ike already had one fsmash...
Actually, this is pretty strange.
http://opensa.dantarion.com/wiki/IC-Constants

For some reason, Ike has "2" F-Smash, like Link and Tink according to this. Not sure why, but I guess that's just how it's coded...Wierd though. I mean, Ike's F-Smash doesn't go into another attack with a press of "A", and it only hits once...Oh well. Ike's funny like that.

That's just how it was by default when I grabbed this particular PSA file. Plus, having a code for Ike to have 2 jabs can work for putting regular ol' Marth on him too. Also, given how Ic editing codes make R.O.B. replacements freeze, it's...Eerily convenient that the previous people made Roy's PSA consist of "two" jab(s)...But...Just for the heck of it.

Ike has 1 Jab
04B0B9B4 00000001

Well...Okay. I forgive you.

Yeah. Admittedly, I'm trying to at least get "V1" animations done for everything I want to swap out for more Roy-like animations first, then improving what's there as needed. (In Melee, if you pause at the very start of this attack, he has his sword though his head. o_O)

But yeah. Roy's current taunts, for example, I find the Up Taunt is pretty okay, but I can make it better. The side taunt came out awful in my opinion, and I've remade the down taunt once already, but I'm gonna do it again sometime soon.(That reminds me, I asked TCRhade about trying to make Win1 and Win3. I'll hafta ask him about those...)

Nah, No animations remain that I fiddle with TopN given how I learned it does nothing in-game. But when I rotate the HipN in BBox, it likes to make Roy flip around erratically. I don't think I still have the really old animation of the 3rd Down hit from Side B, but...Well, he was doing that in BBox before I grabbed his HipN bone and manually moved him to stop the spazzing he was doing...then he was doing it in-game ;__;

(I do agree with you on the "Stiff" thing, but I'll see how I can help on this matter)

I'm learning animating myself, Thany, hoping to see if I can help you a bit with this. ^^
Yay. But I find the jagged-ness of many animations comes from cleaning them. I actually went through all of the animations that were Marth's and cleaned them too(stupid filesize limit...) and it definitely made his mid-air backwards jump shaky looking, as well as his N-Air. It actually screwed up his walking animations, so I had to re-import Marth's default ones for now...But I do intend to change those to.

Are there any other sort of "main" animations left to be worked on?
When you say main animations...Does that encompass things like A moves, Specials, Wait animations and the like, but not so much things like Item animations, ladder climbing, etc? *slightly confused*

Hey Thany i just have do a animation of melee roy dodge:
http://www.mediafire.com/?x9i54ta8k41gywz
Wow, thanks. Can we use this? I was trying to make that, but was having some trouble when I tried...

Fun fact:
Roy has undergone a total of 3 redesigns before his final one which was used in Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, I'll be sure to include that in the next Fitmotion update :3

Also,

Does anyone know how I could go about putting the Sword of Seals in Roy's left hand for an animation? I'm revamping the Up and Side taunts at the moment, and for the Side Taunt to turn out the way I'd like it to it requires that I can attach the sword to his LHaveN node for part of the animation.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
That's not feasible without hard modding the model's bone structure, which would ruin every other animation.

You'll have to move the translation of the SOS accordingly in the animation.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Aw man...Had a feeling it wouldn't be a simple solution...

Thanks. Gonna see how that goes, otherwise I have another idea for the latter half of the taunt.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
OP Update.

I redid the Up and Side taunts, and added GFX and SFX to them and a few other moves, as well as adding multiple faces to Roy's animations (literally and Cut-and-paste job). He now opens his mouth for his down taunt, blinks during his Wait animation, and looks more terrified when drowning *evil grin*

We also have a more Melee-esque dodge made by Infernape99, with some minor work on the arm by myself.

I also made new WalkFast and WalkSlow animations, but they...Kinda aren't included.(that's what took me so long to update, intended to do it a day or two ago.) The WalkFast looked sorta alright, not grand, but it seemed to interfere with Roy's ability to move with items like the SuperScope whilst attacking...Hence, I dropped them.

Also, the sword stays in his hand for the entirety of the Side taunt, but I like to think it's pretty good. Nice nostalgia for anyone that's played to the end of FE6 :D

Raijinmaru

Smash Rookie
I finished my classes, and I'm back to sfx hacking for Roy. I continued from the last PM you sent me, but then I decided that If I wanted to make use of all the sfx, then I'll need to start from the beginning again.

I pretty much got the sword slashes covered and replaced now, the charge sound for the SpecialN will take some time and editing though. The dancing blade sfx is where I'm stuck at right now, matching the sfx from melee to be in brawl.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
@Wolfric

Mmm. That's pretty good. Kinda wanted to show off Counter, but I'm still pleased :3. Maybe we could have another one sometime that shows him off in battle? That'd be grand :3 Plus showing the Win2 animation. I think it turned out very well.(Hold Y after winning)

Forgot to mention it with the latest upload, but I did fix how Roy's leg is going from Win2 to Winwait2.

But also, where did you get the BRSTM used on that stage? I li~kes it <3

...Also, does anyone else remember if N-Air always had non-existent range like that?

@Raijinmaru

When you say the SFX for his Side B, do you mean the voice clips? I have those memorized moreso than the placement of any of his other moves :3 (In Melee, his B moves use the the same or only a copuple different SFX depending. Aside from his Jump and his taunt, his only other voiced actions were his Smashes and being hit/KO'd)

If you have access to Melee I can list the sound test digits that correspond to those; (As well as my interpretation of how to spell the cry that comes with it)

-------------------------- 1st hit = 13 ("Harumpt!") ------------------------

2nd High = 8 ("Huhh!") 2ndNorm = 7 ("Teh!") ------------------------

3rd High = 10 ("Jyah!") 3rd Norm = 12 ("Soriya!") 3rd Down = ("Tou!")

4th High = 11 ("Eeeyuh!") 4th Norm = 9 ("Yah!") 4th Down = ("Harumpt!")

The 4th High attack is the same SFX as his taunt in Melee, and the 4th Down is the same SFX from the beginning of his Side B, but it's played 4 times, but partly interrupted by the next one, like this;

Ha-*stab*Ha-*stab*Ha-*stab*Ha-*stab*-rumpt*last stab that holds no voice SFX*

Hope that helps :3

@KTH

That's awesome looking, especially the face and eyes. :3 (I must have those eyes)
The Melee skin tone really makes him look more like himself to me.

Top Bottom