• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Johnknight1 said:
As for Waluigi, he's still a no shot. Once the Geno fans like myself come out from the woods, his popularity will increase. He had a huge cult here on smashboards (probably the biggest of all characters not in smash, aside from maybe Mega Man and Ridley). It probably won't be as big as before, but trust me: it will be big.

The Waluigi movement will die early because he'll get AT'd again anyways... >.> Even if not, we'll own their logic so fast they'll shut up, go back to Game FAQs, and nag about how they got outclassed, outsmarted, and owned.
I think it'll return to form (to a lesser extend) if Geno is playable in Fortune Street, but I am doubting it. Ironically enough, I think this is Geno's best shot at a roster (he has practically none in Brawl) due to his famous Brawl cult. Personally, if the Geno Alliance was revived, I would be part of it, even knowing his poor odds.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Play this game.

It's Super Mario Galaxy, 15 years earlier with GUNS. :cool:

As for the Mario series, I see it like this:

Bowser Jr./Paper Mario (PM support may go up with his new game)
Waluigi (I just have a funny feeling about him unfortunetly)
Toad (I would have placed him higher but after what Sakurai said I have my doubts)
Doc

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
don't pretend like i don't exist, i know of Gravity Man... but yea... good for everyone else... Chargeman has the kewlest music in that game

D

Deleted member

So it's mainly moveset discussion right now? Meh, I've never immersed myself in that area of Smash Bros. gameplay.

I want to stay on-topic, so here's a little question. Suppose Nintendo was including remixed music in SSB4, but only remixes made by the non-professional fans who provide many of the remixes of sites like YouTube and OverClocked Remix. What are your choices for fan-produced remixes for SSB4?

Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins - Star Maze (Smouvmaster)

Wario Land 2 - Syrup's Secret Stash (Maxo)

Sonic the Hedgehog - Chemixtrixx (Prototype Raptor) (Two words: club music)

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Crystalline Caverns (McVaffe)

Metroid: Other M - Past is Prologue (sasukeshika) (Huge thanks to KumaOso for linking me to it; it's awesome)

Pokemon Black/White - Legendary Battle (REGIROCK) (Big thanks to SSBFan for linking to this)

Metroid Prime 3 - Rundas Vs. Gandrayda (Hauntershadow) (Actually a fusion of two pieces, not a true remix)

Metroid Prime 3 / Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story Dark Shapeshifter (Hauntershadow, strongbadman7) (Another fusion song, just listen to the choir and synth combined at 1:26 to 1:39)

BTW, anyone like my temporary new avatar?
I think the first one would be the best, since it feels the most like what you expect in Smash.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
don't pretend like i don't exist, i know of Gravity Man... but yea... good for everyone else... Chargeman has the kewlest music in that game
I wasn't, sorry if it seemed like I did. That wasn't a pic of him you posted so I thought you didn't know.

MM5 was severely underrated. Although I personally prefer Darkman's Theme.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The Mario Tornado is still there, btw. His Down Air wasn't iconic by any means.
Yes, but I wasn't saying the down air was iconic. I was saying that even the most iconic video game character of all-time, Mario, has had his move set tweaked before. So why should Link be immune to this=???

The Slingshot is only a few games, and most of the time, only Young Link uses them. He should get it, as it's more or less his item.
Discounting the handheld games and the pre-3D console games, here's the scoreboard:

Kid Link:
Ocarina of Time

Adult Link:
Twilight Princess
Skyward Sword

Besides that, any form of Link could use it. I just suggest Link because his arrows, bombs, and spin attack have been inconsistent and mostly terrible in each smash game. Toon Link had a pretty good version of all of his specials.

Also, that's the point I'm making with the Bombs. You can't beat most of the games without 'em. Same with the Bow and Boomerang. The Spin Attack? Not actually required in any game. Thus, the other 3 have no reason to leave compared to the Spin Attack. All should stay regardless, but you can't say the Bombs are better to replace than the Bow either. Especially since the Bow currently sucks and would be better overall. The best we'll get is upgrades regardless.
Well you can't get through the Legend of Zelda without a candle either. Heck, I think the candle was more important. It burned through walls, burned enemies, and lighted up a room so you could see everything.

Pretty much every item that isn't a side mission item you can't be the game without. Does that mean Samus should get her Ice Beam and Plasma Beam in smash=???

Toon/Young Link has tons of choices. Bombchu, Slingshot, Deku Leaf, and he could still keep his version of Boomerang without trouble. And that's just the B moves. But those are all used by him, and iconic with Young/Toon Link, not regular Link.
Link also has the hammer (which is more often recognized with him thanks to Ocarina of Time), the chain and ball, and now a whip. Why can't those replace current moves=???

Again, there's no reason it can't be a two way street and we see both changed.

One could get their bombs changed to a hammer that doesn't suck like Kirby's (either Link), the slight shot (either Link), bomb arrows (adult Link), whip (adult Link), fire arrows (Toon Link), the Deku Leaf (Toon Link), etc., while the other gets one of those previously mentioned items (or another item) to replace the bow and arrow.

In-Game, Meowth has no connections to team rocket though. If we had a GRUNT PT, then I would choose one of those levels, but Meowth in Game is found in Cerulean City, I BELIEVE. (Not IN, but near the Daycare below it) So that's why I threw him in with Mewtwo.

I loved Spear Pillar.

Meowth in game is connected to Jessie and James of Team Rocket. It is called Pokémon Yellow Version.

Also, referencing the anime connection between Meowth and Team Rocket is legitimate. Most people know him from the anime.

Also, you are right. Meowth was found near the Day Care in the Route below Cerulean City (where Misty is gym leader), but he was also found east of Celadon City (where Erika is gym leader).

Yeah... there's little chance we're getting a grunt of any team, especially since there is some new team every generation. I'm just glad Team Plasma wasn't boring like Team Galactic, Team Magma, and Team Aqua.

Spear Pillar... every time I play it, people camp.
Actually that's Brawl in a hand bag! XD

I just hate the layout. Without the stupid "phases" the Pokémon change it to, without the bottom, or with permanent holes to the bottom, it would be a much cooler and non-camper friendly stage.

As for the Mario Hierchy is like this IMO

Toad
Junior
Paper Mario (Hopeless IMO)
Geno
Waluigi
The rest of them
I gotta say I think Bowser Jr. has better odds than Toad... and I kinda want Toad maybe a bit more. Maybe. It's pretty close in my mind.

Also, how is Paper Mario so low=??? His games have sold a crap ton of units, and is considerably popular. Plus unlike Bowser Jr. and Toad he has starred in a game... now four times... :awesome:

Above all, I think Waluigi should be below "the rest of them." That is my biggest criticism of your list. :cool:

The list should be this:
-Paper Mario
-Bowser Jr.
-Toad
-Geno
-Kamek
-Wart
-Doctor Mario
-A mile of dirt
-Birdo
-Sky Guy
-A Mario Galaxy game worth of galaxies
-Every other random Mario character
Several complex temporary dimensional worm holes
-Waluigi
Behind the only copy of a canon Mario game Waluigi stars in
-Tingle

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think it'll return to form (to a lesser extend) if Geno is playable in Fortune Street, but I am doubting it. Ironically enough, I think this is Geno's best shot at a roster (he has practically none in Brawl) due to his famous Brawl cult. Personally, if the Geno Alliance was revived, I would be part of it, even knowing his poor odds.
I don't think Geno needs to be playable in Fortunate Street. All he needs is more hype. Smash is running out of popular retro characters, and he's one of the few left.

We have:
Little Mac: Had a recent game.
Takamaru: May star in a new game.
Balloon Fighter: Had a couple spin-offs somewhat recently without him.
Mach Rider: Has been dead for a while.
The Excite Biker: Has had some recent games, but he seems like a weak Mach Rider.
Bubbles from Clu-Clu Land: Had 2 games; that's it.
Urban Champion: Recently re-released. The game has mostly negative reviews, even amongst old reviews.
The Duck Hunt Dog: Just.... woaw. I still can't believe it's hype.

Tell me... what on that list doesn't make you want to say "huh... Geno should have a shot=???" Nothing... aside from the fact Sakurai would need to go through Square Enix. Sakurai seems to like Super Mario RPG, based on moves from Peach's move set coming from Super Mario RPG.

Even if it doesn't happen in the next two smash games, Geno will always linger over smash bros a bit. Once the wells of retro Nintendo characters dry, he's going to be the only real good "choice." Trust me, eventually, we probably will have Geno in a smash bros game, whether in 5 years, or 20, or a crap ton more.

yea... GravityMan.EXE was atrocious...
Oh my God he was. I hated him as a boss. Waste. of. time.

Actually, Mega Man Battle Network 4 and 5 should be defined as a waste of time. Mega Man Battle Network 6 wasn't too bad, aside from the easy difficulty. Still, that series lasted 3 too many games too long. 4 plus that Battle Chip Challenge game. Man that game sucked... >.>

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Oh my God he was. I hated him as a boss. Waste. of. time.

Actually, Mega Man Battle Network 4 and 5 should be defined as a waste of time.
Gravity Man.Exe sucked period. XP
Gravity Man (Classic) = EPIC :cool:

Although I really enjoyed BN5, or at least the Double Team version if you're talking about the GBA versions.

Agreed/Disagree - MM should get Gravity Hold as his U-Throw.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Idunno, picking Paper Mario over Toad/Junior is like picking Pokemon Ranger over Lucario. As a spin-off Ranger has done okay, but it's not why people love Mario.

Toad and Junior are just better choices. It's better to pick B rank from the A team, than A rank from the B team.

More so, I just....wonder what Sakurai THINKS of PM. I mean, does he see him as he saw Doc and Toon Link? If so, I don't like the way he would end up playing. IF NOT, then fine.

He's not a BAD choice, I just doubt the legitimacy of how well he would be executed, UNLIKE Toad/Junior. I have no doubts that they would end up well made characters. (Not cloney)

If you're going to seriously respond to this, PLEASE keep it short. I don't really care about the topic to take on a full argument. Like I said, my complaints are mostly based on how Sakurai PROBABLY/MAY feel about him. I still think Toad/Junior is a much smarter pick.

yani_

Smash Ace
Idunno, picking Paper Mario over Toad/Junior is like picking Pokemon Ranger over Lucario. As a spin-off Ranger has done okay, but it's not why people love Mario.

Toad and Junior are just better choices. It's better to pick B rank from the A team, than A rank from the B team.

More so, I just....wonder what Sakurai THINKS of PM. I mean, does he see him as he saw Doc and Toon Link? If so, I don't like the way he would end up playing. IF NOT, then fine.

He's not a BAD choice, I just doubt the legitimacy of how well he would be executed, UNLIKE Toad/Junior. I have no doubts that they would end up well made characters. (Not cloney)

If you're going to seriously respond to this, PLEASE keep it short. I don't really care about the topic to take on a full argument. Like I said, my complaints are mostly based on how Sakurai PROBABLY/MAY feel about him. I still think Toad/Junior is a much smarter pick.
I agree with you. The only thing I can really say about Paper Mario is that I'd take him over Doc. That's about it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yes, but I wasn't saying the down air was iconic. I was saying that even the most iconic video game character of all-time, Mario, has had his move set tweaked before. So why should Link be immune to this=???
He didn't lose any of his iconic moves. That's the difference. They're still there. There's no point in using that example.

Discounting the handheld games and the pre-3D console games, here's the scoreboard:

Kid Link:
Ocarina of Time

Adult Link:
Twilight Princess
Skyward Sword

Besides that, any form of Link could use it. I just suggest Link because his arrows, bombs, and spin attack have been inconsistent and mostly terrible in each smash game. Toon Link had a pretty good version of all of his specials.
Hold up, buddy. You can't discount the Handhelds. Those count too.

And it doesn't matter. Those are four of his most iconic special moves. I still think the Bow and Spin Attack are the worst, but the other two are great specials that can be tweaked, but never lost.

Well you can't get through the Legend of Zelda without a candle either. Heck, I think the candle was more important. It burned through walls, burned enemies, and lighted up a room so you could see everything.

Pretty much every item that isn't a side mission item you can't be the game without. Does that mean Samus should get her Ice Beam and Plasma Beam in smash=???
You can beat the game without the Candle. None of that was needed. You can use the Magic Rod the same way as the Candle. It's just harder. And the Ice Beam and Plasma Beam apparently didn't have room. They could be added in too. Metroid's not big in Japan, so thinking about more additions seems to not be one of his priorities. Also, the Charge Shot, Missiles, etc all are important to the character anyway.

Link also has the hammer (which is more often recognized with him thanks to Ocarina of Time), the chain and ball, and now a whip. Why can't those replace current moves=???
The Whip can be a Throw. And that was in the DS Game, can go to Toon Link easily. As for the Hammer and Chain and Ball. Explain why they can't work as Smash attacks?

Again, there's no reason it can't be a two way street and we see both changed.
Why remove his most iconic specials then?

One could get their bombs changed to a hammer that doesn't suck like Kirby's (either Link), the slight shot (either Link), bomb arrows (adult Link), whip (adult Link), fire arrows (Toon Link), the Deku Leaf (Toon Link), etc., while the other gets one of those previously mentioned items (or another item) to replace the bow and arrow.
Bombs don't suck. They never did. Very few people want Link's regular move set changed, as it fits him perfectly. It's Toon Link that's gotten heat for being a clone. They need to change him. Also, explain to me why the Bomb Arrows are needed? Especially since they might not show up in Skyward Sword, meaning it's a useless idea. Would've been cool in Brawl, though. Too bad they stuck with his classic Specials(which are fine the way they are, except perhaps the Bow, as it really isn't that good).

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I agree with you. The only thing I can really say about Paper Mario is that I'd take him over Doc. That's about it.
Melee made me love Doc, I can't say I would want a clone PM over a clone Doc.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think the charms Paper Mario could provide as a character could also be attained by a Paper Mario stage. That sort of charm is all that separates Paper Mario from Mario, and if a stage could provide it, I feel Paper Mario as a character would be a bit unnecessary. So then if Sakurai feels THE SAME WAY I DO (:troll:) about Toad, I guess that leaves Junior, but I hardly expect him. So then how about no new Mario characters. :awesome:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Paper, I think would be a good choice.

Junior, I can't say anything due to lack of knowledge.

Toad, I'm just not sure anymore now based on what Sakurai said about him.

Waluigi, I just have a feeling about him getting in unfortunetly.

Doctor Mario, I'd be fine if he came back but I doubt it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My most preferred is Bowser Jr.

Which is odd, because I actually don't like the character at all. But his transformation into Shadow Mario could be awesome.

I like the rest, notably, but I don't think they'd be worth bringing in.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Gravity Man.Exe sucked period. XP
Gravity Man (Classic) = EPIC :cool:

Although I really enjoyed BN5, or at least the Double Team version if you're talking about the GBA versions.

Agreed/Disagree - MM should get Gravity Hold as his U-Throw.
Gravity Man classic was awesome.

Double Team was... meah. I like that it temporarily abolished the dumb "team/split version" system. 1 game is enough!

The Paper Mario series has sold what? 10 million plus units. Plus c'mon: he's Mario, and he could be original. Everyone loves Mario. More (original) Mario... more popularity for smash bros.

Paper Mario has now 4 games to draw moves from, and maybe 5 or 6 by the time Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS comes out. He could use his hammer, transform into a boat, paper ball, or paper air plane, use some magic, use some jump moves, some fireballs, use some of the super moves from each game, and maybe even change dimensions or summon friends. Paper Mario in each game has all kinds of different moves.

Paper Mario has so many more moves to draw upon, especially since he actually fights physically in every game, unlike Toad and Bowser Jr. He might have more moves to pick from than Bowser Jr. and Toad combined.

Sakurai hasn't done anything with Paper Mario in the past because there were a ton more worthy characters. Now... most of them (sans Ridley, Mega Man, a new Pokémon or two, and maybe Dixie Kong/K. Rool aside) have appeared in smash bros. That has opened up a door to Paper Mario. A similar thing happened with the likes of Wario and Diddy Kong.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Johnknight: DT had both versions in one with extras. That's why I liked it, not to mention I personally liked the Liberation missions. I thought it was nice addition that I feel actually was less annoying then doing the standard minigame that you had to do to get to the boss normally in the series, not to mention less random encounters.

Has anyone made a moveset for Junior yet? I'm curious about what he could do.

At this point I'm predicting a major Mario rep war of the likes we've never seen before if we don't get one shown at E3.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Has anyone made a moveset for Junior yet? I'm curious about what he could do.
BKupa made a good one.

I've been meaning to make on. Though I feel general ideas are usually better. SUCH AS, a swing from his paintbrush would be your average close-range attack, but at the same time it would fling globs of paint as long-range attacks. You could mark the ground with paint to set up traps, maybe even change the paint to change the effect of those traps (stunning, tripping...). I like the idea of him being able to "draw" on the 2D plane on which you fight. Like an N-air might draw a circle in the air or something. AIR TRAPS. That could be a bit broken though, lol.

Shadow Mario would, of course, be stupid.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Suppose Nintendo was including remixed music in SSB4, but only remixes made by the non-professional fans who provide many of the remixes of sites like YouTube and OverClocked Remix. What are your choices for fan-produced remixes for SSB4?

BTW, anyone like my temporary new avatar?
@avatar:... meh.

@query: define professional? does the band Stemage count as professional?

Earthbound - Buzz Buzz's Revenge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCNGq9M_uIQ (k-wix)

Super Mario 64 - Ultimate Koopa Metal Remix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdakhQ_h7v0 (TheNintendoMaster64)

Kirby Super Star - Ska Buffet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYZQIUwezg8 (The overclocked Plaid Muffins)

EarthBound - Snowbound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Bvchh0p2I (bLiNd)

EarthBound - Vector Point Engineering Water Buffalo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqugCPFgMkw (Prophecy) (what? too much Bound Together? what can i say? it's epic!)

MegaMan 3 - Spark Man Metal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GpFByb2JmE (herrsolera) (i only wish it were longer... or that it looped somewhere)

MegaMan 2 - Heat Man, HEAT!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY8jJRvwKS4&feature=related (Hyadain)

yani_

Smash Ace
Melee made me love Doc, I can't say I would want a clone PM over a clone Doc.
Idk I mean honestly I did use Doc more than regular Mario but I feel PM could possibly be more of a doofy variant as opposed to just him in Doctor's attire. Just me though.

If Geno got in, I hope Mallow would become an assist trophy. He could make lighting bolts strike everywhere ( like Pikachu's thunderbolt but not as strong) and do a little HP Rain on the user healing 1-3% every few seconds :0

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
AT the end of the day Paper Mario is Mario. And he has a legitimate shot at being closely related to Mario in terms of playstyle. Talk him up all you want, Toon Link had a similar fate. Have you noticed that Alternate "reality" versions of characters are usually added at the last second? As clones? Doc, Young, and Toon Link. Something Toad and Junior come from the Mario series, WHICH IN ALL has sold 210 million copies. They span across all kinds of titles, not just four of them, (Toad is even in the RPG series) unlike Paper Mario.

Choosing him over those two is really, REALLY stupid. It's like deciding to bring Zucchini bread to a bake sale, instead of brownies or cookies. People aren't as familar with it, and won't take to it as much as they would Brownies. Plus Zucchini bread is just a worse tasting CLONE of the more popular carrot cake.

Besides, I have my doubts about Mario getting another character to begin with.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
He didn't lose any of his iconic moves. That's the difference. They're still there. There's no point in using that example.
Yes, but an iconic characters lost a move. Again, Link's iconic weapon-is the Master Sword. Beyond that, he has all kinds of weapons in each Zelda game. His bombs, boomerang, and bow and arrow aren't his only "iconic" secondary weapons.

Hold up, buddy. You can't discount the Handhelds. Those count too.

And it doesn't matter. Those are four of his most iconic special moves. I still think the Bow and Spin Attack are the worst, but the other two are great specials that can be tweaked, but never lost.
Well I can count the console games as more... influential because they sell more. Heck, every console Zelda game has probably outsold every handheld Zelda game... maybe Zelda II aside.

The console games definitely hold more weight. And even in the handhelds, Link is draw up as a older teenager who looks about 16 years old. If memory serves me correctly, Toon Link is 13, adult Link should be at least 19. That's kind of that awkward in between character that we can't really clarify if you think about it! :laugh:

You can beat the game without the Candle. None of that was needed. You can use the Magic Rod the same way as the Candle. It's just harder. And the Ice Beam and Plasma Beam apparently didn't have room. They could be added in too. Metroid's not big in Japan, so thinking about more additions seems to not be one of his priorities. Also, the Charge Shot, Missiles, etc all are important to the character anyway.
You have to burn through stuff with the candle. That's how you enter the 8th dungeon. There's like what? 20-30 something weapons needed to enter or get through a Zelda dungeon in the series=??? Why are just the Master Sword, the Hylian Shield, the hook shot, bombs, boomerang, and bow and arrow the iconic weapons=???

What about the grappling hook, the Deku Leaf, the various Hammers, the Ball and Chain, the various musical instruments, the various wands, the magic spells, the bug catching net, the running shoes, the enemy and NPC-controlling items, the magical objects, the bottles (lulz), the sling shot, or now the whip iconic weapons too=???

As for Metroid, the ice beam and plasma beam appear in the games popular in Japan, too Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid: Zero Mission. Probably Metroid: Other M too, but I haven't played that, so I can't say that for sure.

The Whip can be a Throw. And that was in the DS Game, can go to Toon Link easily. As for the Hammer and Chain and Ball. Explain why they can't work as Smash attacks?
Exactly. He could use nearly every Zelda side weapon as an attack. His whip could be his grab and neutral air. His hook shot could be his Z-air. His ball and chain used to sweep foes as his down smash. His hammer as his forward smash. His up smash could be a stab that fires up a sword beam.

His sling shot as his neutral B. Some magic wand as his down B.

Why remove his most iconic specials then?
His only iconic weapon are his Master Sword and Hylian/Mirror Shield IMO. That's what I think of with Link. A blonde, blue-eyed guy in a green tunic and fairy hat, the Master Sword, a Hylian/Mirror Shield, and a crap ton of rupees and random items.

"Iconic" is such a relative term.

Bombs don't suck. They never did. Very few people want Link's regular move set changed, as it fits him perfectly. It's Toon Link that's gotten heat for being a clone. They need to change him. Also, explain to me why the Bomb Arrows are needed? Especially since they might not show up in Skyward Sword, meaning it's a useless idea. Would've been cool in Brawl, though. Too bad they stuck with his classic Specials(which are fine the way they are, except perhaps the Bow, as it really isn't that good).
I didn't want Mario changed, but he was changed. He had a somewhat effective down air, especially in smash 64.

Honestly, I don't think he needs to get ride of a particular attack. Instead, I think both Toon Link and adult Link need to change. Give adult Link some of his new fancy Skyward Sword moves, maybe replace a special or two, and do the same with Toon Link. Have at least one keep some form of the boomerang (probably both), one keep some sort of bow and arrow, and one keep the bombs.

I also think Link should change the most because Link has been constantly terrible. Toon Link, on the other hand, was a very powerful and useful character. Even if he is a clone, he executed the move set so much better than Link did in Brawl.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
BKupa made a good one.

I've been meaning to make on. Though I feel general ideas are usually better. SUCH AS, a swing from his paintbrush would be your average close-range attack, but at the same time it would fling globs of paint as long-range attacks. You could mark the ground with paint to set up traps, maybe even change the paint to change the effect of those traps (stunning, tripping...). I like the idea of him being able to "draw" on the 2D plane on which you fight. Like an N-air might draw a circle in the air or something. AIR TRAPS. That could be a bit broken though, lol.

Shadow Mario would, of course, be stupid.
That's actually a good moveset. I like it.

MegaMan 3 - Spark Man Metal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GpFByb2JmE (herrsolera) (i only wish it were longer... or that it looped somewhere)

MegaMan 2 - Heat Man, HEAT!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY8jJRvwKS4&feature=related (Hyadain)
Love those MM remixes. :cool:

I'm not sure about Stemage, but I'm pretty sure The Megas count seeing as they were hired by Capcom to do the music for MM Universe (but we all know what happened to that).

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
@avatar:... meh.

Earthbound - Buzz Buzz's Revenge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCNGq9M_uIQ (k-wix)

Super Mario 64 - Ultimate Koopa Metal Remix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdakhQ_h7v0 (TheNintendoMaster64)

Kirby Super Star - Ska Buffet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYZQIUwezg8 (The overclocked Plaid Muffins)

EarthBound - Snowbound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Bvchh0p2I (bLiNd)

EarthBound - Vector Point Engineering Water Buffalo (Prophecy) (what? too much Bound Together? what can i say? it's epic!)

In how I meant to define professional in the question, I meant people who make a living composing and/or remixing game music. I was thinking along the lines of game composers, so Stemage probably fall outside that definition. Sorry for being unclear.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think it's kind of funny that some people are so sure that Mario will get a fifth character (maybe even a sixth?!?!?!) when people felt the exact same way for Brawl, YET WE GOT NOTHING. "It's Nintendo's biggest franchise!" really doesn't mean a whole lot when all the most recognizable characters are already in. Brawl actually REMOVED one, lol. Unless you want to say Wario replaced Doc. :V But if one says that, then one should also accept King K. Rool or Dixie as the new "Mario" character.

I think Toise or Chrono keeps reminding us that the Japanese don't really care for a new Mario character anyway. So I mean Y'KNOW.

INCIDENTALLY, does anyone remember (if this was even stated before) who is the most requested in Japan? AFTER Roy and Mewtwo? Or would something like that not really be too clear.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yes, but an iconic characters lost a move. Again, Link's iconic weapon-is the Master Sword. Beyond that, he has all kinds of weapons in each Zelda game. His bombs, boomerang, and bow and arrow aren't his only "iconic" secondary weapons.
No it isn't. That weapon does not exist in nearly as many games as the Bombs, Arrows, and the Boomerang. Do the research. The Master Sword didn't appear to ALttP, is in OoT, both Oracle games, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. The other 3 are in quite a lot more games. It's just his most iconic SWORD. Not his most iconic weapon. Hell, the Mirror Shield appeared nearly as much. And yes, they're the most used items. So they are the most iconic. All the other items are used quite a bit less.

Well I can count the console games as more... influential because they sell more. Heck, every console Zelda game has probably outsold every handheld Zelda game... maybe Zelda II aside.
You cannot say this as fact. Sakurai has not mentioned this at all. This has no bearing on Link in Smash. Likewise, the best argument this brings up is that the Bomb Arrow wouldn't fit either. Because it's only in one game, according to you.

The console games definitely hold more weight. And even in the handhelds, Link is draw up as a older teenager who looks about 16 years old. If memory serves me correctly, Toon Link is 13, adult Link should be at least 19. That's kind of that awkward in between character that we can't really clarify if you think about it! :laugh:
He's Young Link in the handhelds. Which use the same style as the original. Note how the Trophies say that Young Link was supposedly in the first Zelda game, not Adult Link. Which means the best fact according to Sakurai is that Young Link is more known. Also, the accepted ages have been between 10-12 and 17-19. None of those numbers were exact.

You have to burn through stuff with the candle. That's how you enter the 8th dungeon. There's like what? 20-30 something weapons needed to enter or get through a Zelda dungeon in the series=??? Why are just the Master Sword, the Hylian Shield, the hook shot, bombs, boomerang, and bow and arrow the iconic weapons=???
You get the Magic Wand in the 6th, and Book in the 7th. And why are they? Because they're the most used and well known. The Hookshot kept getting replacements and upgrades. You can't say they aren't iconic when they are. They keep appearing, so they're iconic. That's kind of how it works.

What about the grappling hook, the Deku Leaf, the various Hammers, the Ball and Chain, the various musical instruments, the various wands, the magic spells, the bug catching net, the running shoes, the enemy and NPC-controlling items, the magical objects, the bottles (lulz), the sling shot, or now the whip iconic weapons too=???
Only the Hammer was in a ton of games. The bottle was a taunt for Young Link. And how can they be iconic outside of the Hammer, when they use DIFFERENT instruments. The only iconic thing about them is Link likes to use instruments. Explain how the music will affect gameplay outside of maybe something like Jigglypuff's Sing? Which is not much she has anyway. Also, most of those items are one-shots. Or barely appeared. That's why they're not nearly as iconic.

As for Metroid, the ice beam and plasma beam appear in the games popular in Japan, too Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid: Zero Mission. Probably Metroid: Other M too, but I haven't played that, so I can't say that for sure.
I already explained this. It's not as popular in Japan, so it's not looked into as much. Also, please explain a way to incorporate them into the moveset without changing the B Moves, which happen to work fine.

Exactly. He could use nearly every Zelda side weapon as an attack. His whip could be his grab and neutral air. His hook shot could be his Z-air. His ball and chain used to sweep foes as his down smash. His hammer as his forward smash. His up smash could be a stab that fires up a sword beam.

His sling shot as his neutral B. Some magic wand as his down B.
Sounds great for Young Link. Link is the main character overall, so he should use his most iconic items. Bow, Bomb, Arrow. Spin Attack is his most used technique that translates well into Smash.

His only iconic weapon are his Master Sword and Hylian/Mirror Shield IMO. That's what I think of with Link. A blonde, blue-eyed guy in a green tunic and fairy hat, the Master Sword, a Hylian/Mirror Shield, and a crap ton of rupees and random items.

"Iconic" is such a relative term.
In your opinion. Too bad when people talk about Link's best items, they know the Bombs, Bow, and Boomerang are brought up for a reason. They're in nearly every game. Which is funny, because the Master Sword and Hylian/Mirror Shield aren't. The Master Sword has been replaced mutliple times. The Bombs and Boomerang never were, just upgraded. Why is this?

I didn't want Mario changed, but he was changed. He had a somewhat effective down air, especially in smash 64.
A made up move. Changing it isn't a big deal due to nobody recognizing it outside of Smash. This is a notable thing. He never had it before. Not Iconic.

Honestly, I don't think he needs to get ride of a particular attack. Instead, I think both Toon Link and adult Link need to change. Give adult Link some of his new fancy Skyward Sword moves, maybe replace a special or two, and do the same with Toon Link. Have at least one keep some form of the boomerang (probably both), one keep some sort of bow and arrow, and one keep the bombs.
Link keeps most of his moveset, including his B Moves, but his A Moves need changing. Including buffs and a better jump.

I also think Link should change the most because Link has been constantly terrible. Toon Link, on the other hand, was a very powerful and useful character. Even if he is a clone, he executed the move set so much better than Link did in Brawl.
That's a horrible reason to change most of his moves. His B moves weren't the reason he didn't do well. It was his weight, jump, slowness, and not very good A Moves. Change the part that's a problem. Young Link/Toon Link, on the other hand, it's a clone with better stats overall. He can change heavily with different B Moves. Those are apparently what people think makes others a clone. Why should Link change his B Moves when Toon Link is the one copying him? That makes no sense whatsoever.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I think it's kind of funny that some people are so sure that Mario will get a fifth character (maybe even a sixth?!?!?!) when people felt the exact same way for Brawl, YET WE GOT NOTHING. "It's Nintendo's biggest franchise!" really doesn't mean a whole lot when all the most recognizable characters are already in. Brawl actually REMOVED one, lol. Unless you want to say Wario replaced Doc. :V But if one says that, then one should also accept King K. Rool or Dixie as the new "Mario" character.

I think Toise or Chrono keeps reminding us that the Japanese don't really care for a new Mario character anyway. So I mean Y'KNOW.

INCIDENTALLY, does anyone remember (if this was even stated before) who is the most requested in Japan? AFTER Roy and Mewtwo?
Well they do have a point, heck on the blog character list thing we have in the backroom there is no realistic Mario character listed at all. So they do have a point IMO.

I think it was Ridley, King K. Rool, or Goroh. The former 2 I'm more sure on.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@Johnknight: DT had both versions in one with extras. That's why I liked it, not to mention I personally liked the Liberation missions. I thought it was nice addition that I feel actually was less annoying then doing the standard minigame that you had to do to get to the boss normally in the series, not to mention less random encounters.
Yeah, I never owned it, but I played it. I liked the added non-mini game boss missions, and the Liberation Missions.

At this point I'm predicting a major Mario rep war of the likes we've never seen before if we don't get one shown at E3.
I got dibs on starting the Mario newcomer representative war! :cool: :reverse: :awesome: :psycho:

Shortie can have some dibs on it too... I guess... :bee:

AT the end of the day Paper Mario is Mario. And he has a legitimate shot at being closely related to Mario in terms of playstyle. Talk him up all you want, Toon Link had a similar fate. Have you noticed that Alternate "reality" versions of characters are usually added at the last second? As clones? Doc, Young, and Toon Link. Something I dToad and Junior come from the Mario series, WHICH IN ALL has sold 210 million copies. They span across all kinds of titles, not just four of them, (Toad is even in the RPG series) unlike Paper Mario.

Choosing him over those two is really, REALLY stupid. It's like deciding to bring Zucchini bread to a bake sale, instead of brownies or cookies. People aren't as familar with it, and won't take to it as much as they would Brownies. Plus Zucchini bread is just a worse tasting CLONE of the more popular carrot cake.

Paper Mario could use items Mario doesn't. He also, unlike Toad and Bowser Jr. fights often.

Toad rarely fights. Heck, the only games he has fought in are Super Mario Bros. 2 and NEW Super Mario Bros. Wii if memory serves me right.

Bowser Jr. only fought as that dumb Shadow Mario (which would suck!) in Sunshine, and in robots in Galaxy. In the New Super Mario Bros. series he did fight hand to hand, but he didn't have too many attacks.

Your analogy doesn't make sense.

The difference is this: Paper Mario stars in 3 games (soon to be 4 and maybe 5 since a Wii U game seems very likely) and has a plethora of moves to use from each game. He is more well-known than Bowser Jr. (people probably mistake him for Bowser's eight other children from Super Mario Bros. 3 all the time), and he is more well-known than Bowser Jr. or Toad-because he is Mario.

People will be like "cool, it's like a 2D version of Mario that has some retro moves and some RPG-esk moves. Plus, he's paper!"

Plus, it's a great promotion of the series. Paper Mario is one of the only multi-million unit selling Nintendo series made in the 21st century that doesn't have representation in smash-aside from Animal Crossing and Nintendogs, of course. Nintendo wants to represent new series that have been popular. Animal Crossing has had a stage, and Nintendogs won't get more than an assist trophy, sticker, trophy, or other such cameo.

Toad and Bowser Jr. require the Smash Bros. development team to make up moves. Paper Mario... comes naturally, much like Ike or Diddy Kong would.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
He may star in three games, but everyone knows who Junior and Toad are. Plus, he definitely points to being more of a clone than anything else. Nope. Mario is more well known than Junior and Toad, not Paper Mario. He is MOST DEFINITELY not more well known than them. Heck Waluigi may even have him beat out. And if you consider him Mario, well he's already in Brawl. Why add him again? Doc is gone for a reason, why add another one? End of Story.

I made sense. I gave reasons. You can take them or leave them. Moving on from this topic~

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well they do have a point, heck on the blog character list thing we have in the backroom there is no realistic Mario character listed at all. So they do have a point IMO.

I think it was Ridley, King K. Rool, or Goroh. The former 2 I'm more sure on.
I'm pretty sure I've been hearing Ridley isn't in too much of a demand in Japan. At least ChronoBound has been hammering the idea that he'll need to be carried by Western support.

I do recall reading that K. Rool had some support. Actually, I think it'd be pretty funny if Goroh was the most requested ACTUAL newcomer. HE IS pretty long overdue. I mean, F-Zero only has one character and three stages to its name in Smash! (maybe that's appropriate, but still)

D

Deleted member

@---: IIRC, Ridley wasn't exactly wanted in Japan (unfortunately), although King K. Rool seems to be decently requested. I would say that K. Rool is pretty close.

As for Japanese not being interested in a Mario rep, remember that Paper Mario 3D is not out yet. Perhaps that will sparks up support for him in Japan?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm pretty sure I've been hearing Ridley isn't in too much of a demand in Japan. At least ChronoBound has been hammering the idea that he'll need to be carried by Western support.

I do recall reading that K. Rool had some support. Actually, I think it'd be pretty funny if Goroh was the most requested ACTUAL newcomer. HE IS pretty long overdue. I mean, F-Zero only has one character and three stages to its name in Smash! (maybe that's appropriate, but still)
Yeah, I think metroid stuff is more just "Yeah! Lets have more metroid stuff!" Not really Ridley. I can go fetch Toise and Chrono's stuff from the SSB4 discussion group if you like?

As for Japanese not being interested in a Mario rep, remember that Paper Mario 3D is not out yet. Perhaps that will sparks up support for him in Japan.
Paper Mario has been out forever, what are you looking for? I micro phase of a fan surge? He is well established IMO, and a new game may bring new fans, but it's not like he's being revived from thedead in any sense. If he had a lot of fans in Japan, they would already be there.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Yeah, I think metroid stuff is more just "Yeah! Lets have more metroid stuff!" Not really Ridley. I can go fetch Toise and Chrono's stuff from the SSB4 discussion group if you like?
Probably wouldn't hurt to post them again. You're talking about the little peeks into the Japanese Smash community, right?

AAAA I WISH IT WAS RIDLEY SPECIFICALLY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom