• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@ToonLink/YoungLink discussion:

Both those characters are so unlikey to be de-cloned. Young Link IMO has an even lower chance of being de-cloned because most of OoT/SSB Adult Link's items actually apply to Young Link as well. At least toon Link has a ton of original items.

Either character is probably going to be class A clone material, so I say to heck with them and why don't we open our arms to Tingle ;D Ehh? ehhh?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Tingle!! That's funny

It's a weird idea but unique nonetheless, it's better than habing a potential clone around. :/

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's a weird idea but unique nonetheless, it's better than habing a potential clone around. :/
I agree. I actually have a theory about clones. If clones weren't added into Melee(With the exception of Luigi), and we just got the cast of 20 or so, Brawl's roster would have been more well received. If Ganondorf wasn't added in as a clone in Melee, in Brawl we might have actually got a chance to see him actually be Ganon. Him and Falco may have actually been different. Not adding clones to Melee could have kept the vicious clone cycle from ever starting.

This cast wouldn't have been that bad:

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Captain Falcon, Ness, IC's, Kirby, Samus, Marth, Fox DK, Yoshi, G&W, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Zelda/Sheik, and Link.

We could have ALL these characters return in Brawl, along with possibly no clones. Win?

D

Deleted member

Smash Bros. must never go above the T rating. That's all that I'm saying.
Not sure why guns are going to give the game a likely M rating. Goldeneye 007 had guns and it was rated T. The Conduit had guns, blood (No gore), and mild language, it still had T ratings. A fighting games with guns is not automatically going to give it a M rating, especially considering that SSB4 will not have blood.

@Shortiecanbrawl: Hopefully, the clone situation gets better from Brawl which was better from Melee, but still less then satisfactory. Hopefully, some clones finally become unique.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Not sure why guns are going to give the game a likely M rating. Goldeneye 007 had guns and it was rated T. The Conduit had guns, blood (No gore), and mild language, it still had T ratings. A fighting games with guns is not automatically going to give it a M rating, especially considering that SSB4 will not have blood.

@Shortiecanbrawl: Hopefully, the clone situation gets better from Brawl which was better from Melee, but still less then satisfactory. Hopefully, some clones finally become unique.
I just think that firearms should only fire lasers, and not actual bullets.

Regarding clones, Ganondorf does come to mind, in terms of characters who need serious decloning.

D

Deleted member

I just think that firearms should only fire lasers, and not actual bullets.

Regarding clones, Ganondorf does come to mind, in terms of characters who need serious decloning.
In that case, to each of his own. Also, I agree that Ganondorf, Luigi, and Toon Link needs to be unique, Nintendo has the opportunity to do so.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I hope so too. While we went down from six 100% clones, to five 70% clones, I am hoping that SSB4 is a major revamp for the series and clones don't come back period. But, if it is just another installment, I hope for four clones, 50% unique.

D

Deleted member

I hope so too. While we went down from six 100% clones, to five 70% clones, I am hoping that SSB4 is a major revamp for the series and clones don't come back period. But, if it is just another installment, I hope for four clones, 50% unique.
That would be amazing. SSB4 would be like the first huge fighting game to successfully declone all characters with a large roster (40+).

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
70% lack of uniqueness from the clones in Brawl? Can you name them for me?

Those are some interesting ways to implement Sunset Shore's silhouette style.

What about for Meta Knight, you can still see his eyes, and his sword would still be glowing yellow.

For the Black Mage, his eyes would still be visible, and his staff's jewel would be glowing.
Good suggestions. For Metaknight, in addition to his eyes and sword, they can have his cape/wings highlighted as well as his gloves. I'm leaning more toward the cape/wings, eyes, and sword being highlighted and not the gloves but that's just me. Also, for the IC's, I think they can have Popo's coat's main color glow while the fringes on Nana's coat (such as the wrist area and the fluff that outlines her hood's opening, waist and ankles) are highlighted. The two usually have different colors, which is why I suggested that. Basically, have Popo's and Nana's glow scheme reversed when compared to one another.

EDIT: I would also like to reverse the Yoshi silhouette idea that I had. Instead of highlighting Yoshi's white stomach and cheeks, I think it would be better to have his skin's defining color glow. All Yoshi's have a white underside, so it would be hard to tell who's who if only that radiated. Also, the shoes are colored differently from their skin and that can confuse players on opposite teams. So, I think it would be best for a Yoshi's main color to glow, while the stomach, cheeks, eyes, saddle and spine remain black. I suppose the shoes can stay shiny on this stage, but it might be unneccesary since they could have Yoshi's main skin tone glowing.

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
I guess it's time to move on to Classic Controllers then.

Sakurai said he wants to move away from the Brawl engine and Melee engine enough so that it doesn't look like Smash 4 is basing itself off of either of them, so I'm curious on how the engine will be this time.
Did he say that now? hmm and well i don't want classic controllers! T_T

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Considering that MvC3 had guns used by Deadpool, Chris, Wesker, and Jill and still got a T rating even with Morrigan and Felicia's (especially Felicia's) boobs, it wouldn't surprise me to see "normal" guns being used in the next game. While we're at it, Chris uses a knife while Cody can use on in Street Fighter, but I think the problem with that is that people will be uncomfortable with Pikachu being hit with a knife.

In that case, to each of his own. Also, I agree that Ganondorf, Luigi, and Toon Link needs to be unique, Nintendo has the opportunity to do so.
Luigi doesn't necessarily have to. Just by design alone, Luigi was always subject to having similar stuff to Mario.

That would be amazing. SSB4 would be like the first huge fighting game to successfully declone all characters with a large roster (40+).
You could make an argument for Street Fighter as well. Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Sakura, Dan, and Gouken play nothing alike now aside from having similar special moves. Then you've got Yun and Yang who despite having a couple of similar moves (palm thrust and command grab) have to be approached differently.

D

Deleted member

KumaOso said:
Luigi doesn't necessarily have to. Just by design alone, Luigi was always subject to having similar stuff to Mario.
I mainly brought up him because Luigi is the least clonely out of the clones/lugified clones and as such, it would take the least amount of effort to make Luigi completely unique. I'm just wanting at least one character completely decloned. I'm much more concern about the status of Ganondorf and Toon Link.
KumaOso said:
You could make an argument for Street Fighter as well. Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Sakura, Dan, and Gouken play nothing alike now aside from having similar special moves. Then you've got Yun and Yang who despite having a couple of similar moves (palm thrust and command grab) have to be approached differently.
I was more of referring to having every character being 100% unique in every shape and form, which is, as much as I hate to admit it, almost certainly a pipe dream.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
While I feel weird saying this, because I am so against clones, I would have to agree that by Nature, Luigi is the only one I think who should be Similar. One could argue this for any character pairing really, but There is a ton of stuff you could do differently with most pairings. Ex: Link/Toon Link Fox/Falco all have unique abilities.

@BirthNote, I don't really know the percentages for how unique the Brawl clones are, but I do know they're pretty un-unique IMO. Look at Toon Link. At least they made an attempt with Falco and Wolf. (a severely crappy attempt)

In a sense, I hope Smash can at least get to this point. Unless you consider Fox, Falco, and Wolf to be equivalent to Ryu, Ken, and Akuma in terms of "Just Similar enough but still different". If you do, than I would want smash to take the unique character aspect even further than Street Fighter has taken it.

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
*facepalm*

You guys really have no clue what I'm talking about.

STICK

PAD

Lmfao apparently no one is familiar with fighting sticks?
Because of brawl and where i live Melee no longer exist. I tried to keep it up but no one seemed interested so i was forced to move to SSF4 which has really good mechanics and competition. I still play melee but only with friends not in tournies and such thing. :/
:) SSBM and SF for life! :)

Mishudo

Smash Journeyman
Holy crap, character wars. Clam your ****.
I don't think Toon Link should come back unless he has a better B moveset and FS.
Gannondorf and Falco also need new movesets.
They did a good job with Wolf.

I think it'd be a pimp stage if they had the Mii Channel or a Mii stadium, and when you play on it, your characters turn into their respective Mii's, kinda like G&W's makes them 2D.

D

Deleted member

Mishudo said:
I guess you could say that. Wolf is IMO, the second best clone in the game, next to Luigi.

Luigi > Wolf > Falco > Lucas >> Toon Link > Ganondorf.

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
@313

IDC DUDE!

I hate brawl, sorry, it was probably the biggest dissapointment in my life gaming wise. I DO NOT want another game with tripping, no hitstun, and slow, easy *** gameplay.
I'm with you man :/ It made me miserable knowing all that excitement i had would go to waste and not just that but I only got the wii for that wasted time...Brawl.... *sigh*

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
I'm with you man :/ It made me miserable knowing all that excitement i had would go to waste and not just that but I only got the wii for that wasted time...Brawl.... *sigh*
Over 400 pages have passed since that post, why you answerin'.

Mishudo

Smash Journeyman
I guess you could say that. Wolf is IMO, the second best clone in the game, next to Luigi.

Luigi > Wolf > Falco > Lucas >> Toon Link > Ganondorf.
Well because even though he had exactly the same thing as Fox, at least it didn't look the same at all! Except his FS.

Only thing with Falco is his gun shoots blue lasers, and he kicks his reflector, big whoopidoo.

Toon Link and Gannondorf are equally pathetic. At least Gannondorf has his own FS.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
@Shortie: LOL okay, just askin.

Anyway, I remember an event match that someone thought of called "This Ring Isn't Big Enough For the Three of Us!". It involved Little Mac, Kirby, and Dedede fighting in a boxing/wrestling ring--I think Mario & Sonic Guy suggested it. I like the idea, and when I read it I got an idea for a..."sequel" to that Event Match in which DK, K.Rool, Dedede, Diddy, Kirby and Little Mac were involved. All of these characters have fought or been fought in the ring before, so I thought it would be funny to have an EM that references it. Just an idea.

shadowtroop

Smash Ace
You know what I want? The ability to hack it like we've hacked brawl. All the unique characters in the world wouldn't mean a thing (since we can make them ourselves).

D

Deleted member

You know what I want? The ability to hack it like we've hacked brawl. All the unique characters in the world wouldn't mean a thing (since we can make them ourselves).
It's a give it will happen eventually. Why request it?

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
Awww man, really? were going back to this " DIS IS MY DREAM ROSTER" thing again? Thats what ruined the old SSB4 speculation thread. Please no. Instead lets focus on how we can make smash bros better, faster, quicker, funner not...brawl.
EXACTLY!!!! focus on mechanics and all that gameplay after that then we can talk rosters.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Well because even though he had exactly the same thing as Fox, at least it didn't look the same at all! Except his FS.

Only thing with Falco is his gun shoots blue lasers, and he kicks his reflector, big whoopidoo.

Toon Link and Gannondorf are equally pathetic. At least Gannondorf has his own FS.
Gannondorf?

REALLY GUIZ

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Holy crap, character wars. Clam your ****.
I don't think Toon Link should come back unless he has a better B moveset and FS.
Gannondorf and Falco also need new movesets.

I think it'd be a pimp stage if they had the Mii Channel or a Mii stadium, and when you play on it, your characters turn into their respective Mii's, kinda like G&W's makes them 2D.
You sir, just got Gannon-Banned; a term that people use when you misspell Ganondorf's name.

Anyway, there isn't too much you can do to make Toon Link even less semi-clone-ish. I guess you could swap the Hookshot for the Grappling Hook, but Link has the Clawshot now, which operates differently from the Hookshot.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Anyway, I remember an event match that someone thought of called "This Ring Isn't Big Enough For the Three of Us!". It involved Little Mac, Kirby, and Dedede fighting in a boxing/wrestling ring--I think Mario & Sonic Guy suggested it. I like the idea, and when I read it I got an idea for a..."sequel" to that Event Match in which DK, K.Rool, Dedede, Diddy, Kirby and Little Mac were involved. All of these characters have fought or been fought in the ring before, so I thought it would be funny to have an EM that references it. Just an idea.
I think it would be fun to see a Event Match involving Mr. Game & Watch where it is set on Little Mac's stage, the boxing ring, and Mr. Game & Watch must fight Luigi, Donkey Kong, Little Mac, King K. Rool, and King Dedede. Why these five characters?

Luigi - he was the main character in the modern version of Game & Watch: Boxing in Game & Watch Gallery 4
Donkey Kong - he was a guest character in Punch-Out!! Wii
Little Mac - do I need to explain?
King K. Rool - he was a boxer in Donkey Kong 64
King Dedede - his stage was a boxing ring in the original Kirby's Dream Land

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
While I feel weird saying this, because I am so against clones, I would have to agree that by Nature, Luigi is the only one I think who should be Similar. One could argue this for any character pairing really, but There is a ton of stuff you could do differently with most pairings. Ex: Link/Toon Link Fox/Falco all have unique abilities.
The thing that gives Luigi the most justification for being similar is that like Ken in the original Street Fighter, Luigi originiated as a pallete swap. Toon/Young Link, Falco, Pichu, Ganondorf, etc. did not originate as such. Each of these characters could have easily been given stuff that made them different based on in-game material and the fact that difference in size (Tink, Yink, Falco, and Pichu) should play a major role in their design diversity.

In a sense, I hope Smash can at least get to this point. Unless you consider Fox, Falco, and Wolf to be equivalent to Ryu, Ken, and Akuma in terms of "Just Similar enough but still different". If you do, than I would want smash to take the unique character aspect even further than Street Fighter has taken it.
Well, I don't think they differentiated those three enough. Look at Akuma, compared to Ryu and Ken, he has an air fireball, a teleport, a demon flip, and low health. That kind of diversity wasn't expanded on the best with Falco and Wolf.

EXACTLY!!!! focus on mechanics and all that gameplay after that then we can talk rosters.
It's always a bit of a pipe dream since most people here don't know what they're talking about. As I've told others, the best solution is to bring up new stuff to kill the character talk. I did that in the old thread and it managed to make things interesting until SmashChu came in.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

I mentioned Little Mac and King Hippo being Assist Trophies, so I was not the person who thought up that event match.

The one that I did up, which involves Little Mac and King Hippo, has you playing as R.O.B., and your opponent is Donkey Kong (who appeared as a bonus opponent on the Wii version of Punch-Out!!).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You sir, just got Gannon-Banned; a term that people use when you misspell Ganondorf's name.

Anyway, there isn't too much you can do to make Toon Link even less semi-clone-ish. I guess you could swap the Hookshot for the Grappling Hook, but Link has the Clawshot now, which operates differently from the Hookshot.
Actually, you have different kind of things available to Toon Link that would make him different just by going off specials alone. You've got the Deku Leaf, Megaton Hammer, Snake Rope (though SS Link has this), a moving sword spin, etc. that could be given to Toon Link to make him play nothing like Link.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Actually, you have different kind of things available to Toon Link that would make him different just by going off specials alone. You've got the Deku Leaf, Megaton Hammer, Snake Rope (though SS Link has this), a moving sword spin, etc. that could be given to Toon Link to make him play nothing like Link.
Don't you mean the Skull Hammer? The Megaton Hammer is an OoT item.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
They could always take Young Link from Majora's Mask and just have him use masks and stuff. I mean he'll still fight like Link somewhat, but it's better than being just a mere small clone of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom