• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Roy was also popular.
Not as much as Ike. The main problem with Roy was that he was a clone. Sakurai's goal was to eliminate clones and while that wasn't the case, he did partly achieve that by making clones less visible (The only obvious clones are Ganondorf and Toon Link) Even if unique characters are getting the axe, it's going to be Lucario as I don't forsee two unique players being removed.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Really? I thought PoR and RD were pretty good. RD a bit less, but good nonetheless.

Maybe that's why FE12 isn't come to NA... :(
I believe it was the worst selling overall... I think PoR was the best selling Fire Emblem game in the US, but that's not saying much since we've only gotten like 4 of them...

•Col•

Smash Champion
Not as much as Ike. The main problem with Roy was that he was a clone. Sakurai's goal was to eliminate clones and while that wasn't the case, he did partly achieve that by making clones less visible (The only obvious clones are Ganondorf and Toon Link) Even if unique characters are getting the axe, it's going to be Lucario as I don't forsee two unique players being removed.
Sakurai never intended to eliminate clones.... That's just something people started to say that stupidly caught on. :/

EDIT: Whoops, double post

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
At the very least Lucario and Toon Link are going to be removed (with Toon Link being swapped back for Young Link in light of the 3DS remakes of the N64 Zeldas and Toon Link going into hiatus according Aounuma).

The only ones of Brawl's newcomers that I think are absolutely safe from being cut are Wario, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Pit, and Olimar.

Keep in mind that we don't know how high Sakurai will be able to make Smash 4's roster (keep in mind the 3DS's handicaps), so Sakurai could very well be forced to cut much of Brawl's (and possibly even Melee's) veterans in favor of getting a decent amount of newcomers.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai never intended to eliminate clones.... That's just something people started to say that stupidly caught on. :/

Then why were Pichu, Dr. Mario, and Roy removed? Because let's face it, to most people, they weren't great additions. They were filler characters that weren't needed and was there purely for filling up the roster. Out of the five filler characters in Melee, the only one that was worth adding was Ganondorf, and he was disgraced by being made a clone of Captain Falcon. It definitely contributed to Dr. Mario's removal (I suspect he was going to Mario's alternate costume in Brawl) and I believe it also contributed to why Pichu and Roy are not in either (Roy was planned, but was removed).

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Roy was also popular.
Do you know how stupid Sakurai will look like if he brought back a character that was already removed ? and BTW the thing about Roy game being the 3rd most selling game in the series it show how much the advertisement worked.....the game was nice but it was too simple compared to complicated mechanics like PoR or RD where PoR and RD characters can have moves created easily because they can Learn special skills that adds to their unique critical strikes, Marth move set barely had basis while Ike move set had basis for every single move even Eruption (Bolganone the spell).

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Huh? How did Ike have a bigger role in his game than Roy did...? They both were the main character in their respective games...

Also, just because Ike wasn't a clone doesn't make him more important... And who could he even be a clone of? Being a clone of Marth wouldn't make any sense.

And a unique moveset means nothing. See: Mewtwo
Well it's obvious that Ike wasn't included simply to "promote" him in Brawl, he was already established despite the game being out for 2 years, Sakurai could have easily have added the RD version of Ike or Macaiah if promoting them would have had something to do with it.

What i'm saying is that Roy IMO isn't as popular or as significant as Ike is.

...and what is it with Mewtwo?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
If it is favored for a removed character to come back, putting it back wouldn't be stupid.

Like how many MvC3 fans want Megaman in there, if he ever gets in Capcom won't look stupid.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

Yes, Sakurai was not intending to cut anyone, except for possibly Pichu whom was probably the only Smash Bros. character to be despised. Young Link was basically given a new style in the form of Toon Link. Pichu was probably going to be replaced with Plusle & Pinun whom look only like palette swap of Pichu.

Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario were all planned to return. Sakurai actually said that he had planned more characters for Brawl but could not place them in due to time constraints. These characters are likely thought of as being the "Forbidden 7", characters who possess file folders in Brawl, but are not playable. These characters include:
Mewtwo
Roy
Dr. Mario
Dixie Kong
Toon Zelda
Toon Sheik
Plusle & Minun

Mewtwo and Roy were likely the last ones to be scrapped considering there is a list of planned unique victory themes in Brawl's coding, with each character on Brawl's roster (with the exception of Wolf) having been planned to have had their own unique winning theme. Interestingly, Mewtwo and Roy were part of the list.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Well it's obvious that Ike wasn't included simply to "promote" him in Brawl, he was already established despite the game being out for 2 years, Sakurai could have easily have added the RD version of Ike or Macaiah if promoting them would have had something to do with it.

What i'm saying is that Roy IMO isn't as popular or as significant as Ike is.

...and what is it with Mewtwo?
Mewtwo case is different because it seems him and Lucario were going to be considered clones and I think Lucario is the better fit for SSB but you know I would love to have Mew Two back :) but again it will be a stupid move from sakurai to remove a newer character and put back a melee character instead, be cause sakurai want to be constant when he works he will forget about Melee and base everything of Brawl.....

•Col•

Smash Champion
Then why were Pichu, Dr. Mario, and Roy removed? Because let's face it, to most people, they weren't great additions. They were filler characters that weren't needed and was there purely for filling up the roster. Out of the five filler characters in Melee, the only one that was worth adding was Ganondorf, and he was disgraced by being made a clone of Captain Falcon. It definitely contributed to Dr. Mario's removal (I suspect he was going to Mario's alternate costume in Brawl) and I believe it also contributed to why Pichu and Roy are not in either (Roy was planned, but was removed).
First off, clones aren't "filler" characters. At least they weren't in Melee. They had some extra time during development, so Sakurai decided "Hey, why not throw in some clone characters?"...

Anyway, both Dr. Mario and Roy were both supposed to return in Brawl as playable characters... Pichu is the only exception because Sakurai himself said Pichu was meant to be a joke character... And even then, the Plusle/Minun team would've probably been the spiritual successor to him.

If Sakurai wanted to remove all clones, Ganondorf would not be the way he is right now. There is absolutely no excuse for it.

Even though I've played as Ike in Brawl WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than I have any other character in any other game... And even though I wouldn't like it one bit, I can easily see him being cut in favor of a new FE lord.

OmegaXXII

Do you know how stupid Sakurai will look like if he brought back a character that was already removed ? and BTW the thing about Roy game being the 3rd most selling game in the series it show how much the advertisement worked.....the game was nice but it was too simple compared to complicated mechanics like PoR or RD where PoR and RD characters can have moves created easily because they can Learn special skills that adds to their unique critical strikes, Marth move set barely had basis while Ike move set had basis for every single move even Eruption (Bolganone the spell).
This guy has the right idea, Roy's game simply didn't compare to Ike FE, therefore fans were more impressed with FE12 than Roy's.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Yes, Sakurai was not intending to cut anyone, except for possibly Pichu whom was probably the only Smash Bros. character to be despised. Young Link was basically given a new style in the form of Toon Link. Pichu was probably going to be replaced with Plusle & Pinun whom look only like palette swap of Pichu.

Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario were all planned to return. Sakurai actually said that he had planned more characters for Brawl but could not place them in due to time constraints. These characters are likely thought of as being the "Forbidden 7", characters who possess file folders in Brawl, but are not playable. These characters include:
Mewtwo
Roy
Dr. Mario
Dixie Kong
Toon Zelda
Toon Sheik
Plusle & Minun

Mewtwo and Roy were likely the last ones to be scrapped considering there is a list of planned unique victory themes in Brawl's coding, with each character on Brawl's roster (with the exception of Wolf) having been planned to have had their own unique winning theme. Interestingly, Mewtwo and Roy were part of the list.

Plusle & Minun were never intended actually and Pra_Mai I think it was the random box.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
This guy has the right idea, Roy's game simply didn't compare to Ike FE, therefore fans were more impressed with FE12 than Roy's.
What part of Ike's game being the WORST selling one did you not understand? Sales talk.

Also, FE6 is regarded as being the best games in the series. The only other ones I see that are more acclaimed than FE6 are FE4, FE5, and FE7.

By contrast, FE10 (Ike's second game) is regarded among the weakest in the series, only looked better as its sandwiched between Sacred Stones and Shadow Dragon. Though personally I found Sacred Stones to be a better game than Radiant Dawn.

Heck, I OWN PHYSICAL copies of all the Japan-only Fire Emblems and beaten them on a tv. Unlike most people who ILLEGALLY download ROMS and emulators.

I even wrote the most detailed review of Fire Emblem Thracia 776 on GameFAQs. I know my Fire Emblem.

OmegaXXII

Even though I've played as Ike in Brawl WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than I have any other character in any other game... And even though I wouldn't like it one bit, I can easily see him being cut in favor of a new FE lord.
Well that's your opinion, but what if there isn't a new lord?? What would happen then??

But ultimetly it's Sakurai's decision if he wants to cut him or not, personally I don't see him going anywhere because of his series of games and I doubt Sora is simply going 'to forget' about him that easily.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
What part of Ike's game being the WORST selling one did you not understand? Sales talk.

Also, FE6 is regarded as being the best games in the series. The only other ones I see that are more acclaimed than FE6 are FE4, FE5, and FE7.

By contrast, FE10 (Ike's second game) is regarded among the weakest in the series, only looked better as its sandwiched between Sacred Stones and Shadow Dragon. Though personally I found Sacred Stones to be a better game than Radiant Dawn.

Heck, I OWN PHYSICAL copies of all the Japan-only Fire Emblems and beaten them on a tv. Unlike most people who ILLEGALLY download ROMS and emulators.

I even wrote the most detailed review of Fire Emblem Thracia 776 on GameFAQs. I know my Fire Emblem.
Radiant Dawn is the biggest game in the franchise you can't deny that and it was amazing (PoR was better imo) but really since when sales talk in SSB ? Fire Emblem in term of sales is a weak franchise the only one who talks is Sakurai my friend ,because he is a big fan of the game and I think he is actually fond of Ike, why would he let him a starter character if he didn't like him and BTW most fire emblem Lord tend to look speedy even Roy and the only compatitor for the Power spot is Ike and Hector ( Ike wins for being already in SSBB and Hector will have a hard time), Radiant Dawn Ike have the look of a slow character to, so Ike still has something to brag about.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm still noticing that some people want Toon Link to be cut. The thing is, nearly all of his normal attacks are sword-based, unlike Link, who has some leg-related moves.

Also, unlike Young Link, Toon Link is more of a semi-clone. And of course, more people would treat Toon Link as a separate person, due to his cell-shaded looks.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I'm still noticing that some people want Toon Link to be cut. The thing is, nearly all of his normal attacks are sword-based, unlike Link, who has some leg-related moves.

Also, unlike Young Link, Toon Link is more of a semi-clone. And of course, more people would treat Toon Link as a separate person, due to his cell-shaded looks.
I see it that way, one of them is from the young link time line and the other is from the Adult link timeline.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
Plusle & Minun were never intended actually and Pra_Mai I think it was the random box.
I don't think there is any proof yet available as to saying that Pra_Mai was the random selection box. It was just an assumed rumour. However, it is true that Pra_Mai could stand for about anything (including the random square). However, Plusle and Minun at the time of Brawl's development seemed quite likely due to their high popularity and the fact that Pichu did not reappear in Brawl (the duo resembles Pichu).

D

Deleted member

"ChronoBound said:
At the very least Lucario and Toon Link are going to be removed (with Toon Link being swapped back for Young Link in light of the 3DS remakes of the N64 Zeldas and Toon Link going into hiatus according Aounuma).

The only ones of Brawl's newcomers that I think are absolutely safe from being cut are Wario, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Pit, and Olimar.

Keep in mind that we don't know how high Sakurai will be able to make Smash 4's roster (keep in mind the 3DS's handicaps), so Sakurai could very well be forced to cut much of Brawl's (and possibly even Melee's) veterans in favor of getting a decent amount of newcomers.
- I wouldn't say at the very least we will be losing two Brawl newcomers. Lucario is likely, I'll give you that, thought not as much as Mewtwo since he is programmed better then Mewtwo, but as for Toon Link, we'll have to wait and see. For now on the latter, we need to wait up and see if a Toon Zelda game gets announced on the 3DS/Wii-U before deciding whenever or not he's likely to go. He's also been in Spirit Tracks, a major DS game. Even if Toon Link does get replaced, I don't consider it a removal, more of a cosmetic change of the Link's, at least in my opinion.

- I understand Lucas and the unlockable newcomers, even thought I disagree with their removal, but how is Pokemon Trainer in any danger of being entirely removed? if anything, he'll be replaced with a 2nd/3rd/5th male counterpartner. And based off Melee, Sakurai will cut off unlockable characters before he goes with the starters.

- We have no confirmed information in regards to whenever or not the 3DS and Wii-U version will be the same. Until we get more information, this is purely speculations. Even if this news is true, I highly doubt Sakurai is going to put in nearly as much newcomers as he did with the past three games because people are much more likely to give scathing backlashes to veterans removal then if a popular newcomer doesn't make it in.
First off, clones aren't "filler" characters. At least they weren't in Melee. They had some extra time during development, so Sakurai decided "Hey, why not throw in some clone characters?"...

Anyway, both Dr. Mario and Roy were both supposed to return in Brawl as playable characters... Pichu is the only exception because Sakurai himself said Pichu was meant to be a joke character... And even then, the Plusle/Minun team would've probably been the spiritual successor to him.

If Sakurai wanted to remove all clones, Ganondorf would not be the way he is right now. There is absolutely no excuse for it.

Sakurai treated them as filler characters, that's why they weren't as high of a priority as characters in the game. There is no confirmation that the Plusle/Minun team actually existed. I can also argue that Sakurai ran out of time to develop the characters, which is why we still have clones. If he had about three years to develop Brawl, it would be much more likely that he would have gotten rid of clones. With SSB4 probably being the biggest game in the franchise yet, I guarantee you that the problem with be either sized down or completely removed.

Also, as I've said before, Ike is a starter and no starters have been cut yet. That means Sakurai is going to do everything he can to ensure that Brawl's and Melee's starters stay, plus we have no confirmed information on whenever or not we're getting Fire Emblem 13 on time.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I see it that way, one of them is from the young link time line and the other is from the Adult link timeline.
Still, in Melee, Young Link is merely OoT Link's child form, and the two are one in the same.

In Brawl, Link and Toon Link are not related by any means, so they can't be treated as the same person.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Radiant Dawn is the biggest game in the series you can't deny that and it was amazing (PoR was better imo) but really since when sales talk in SSB ? Fire Emblem in term of sales is a weak franchise the only one who talks is Sakurai my friend
How is Radiant Dawn the biggest, in length? Radiant Dawn did have the most chapters, until Fire Emlem: New Myster of the Emblem got released. In terms of quality, Radiant Dawn was less well-received both fans and professional reviewers.

Also, Fire Emblem USED to be a big seller up until Path or Radiance, Fire Emblem would sell about 300K (which is pretty much the average for most games in the series). The only games in the series to sell around 150K were Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, and Thracia 776 (which was a Super Nintendo game released in LATE 1999).

Since the release of the Tellius arc, Fire Emblem has struggled to reach the 300K milestone. FE12 did come close to about 275K in sales though. Its too bad that Shadow Dragon sold so poorly in the West, since due to it we were unable to get FE12.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
Everybody seems to be thinking that the new rep would be Zoroark or Victini. I understand that those two are well known; however, could there be other representatives like Minccino and Emolga? It would be like putting Pichu in melee. These two are also well known in the Pokemon Black and White Games.

OmegaXXII

Well that may be so, but like I told Colaya, just because he had the worst selling games DOESN'T mean he automatically has to go.

I find no justification in that, even if FE6 was regarded better, maybe in the fans eyes he was regarded a better character but in Sakirai's eyes IMO feel overlooked that when he developed Brawl.

You can't say that Roy is far more popular than Ike, otherwise Ike would have never happened, look at G&W for example, Sakurai kept him even though he wasn't as popular with the fans.

Overall if FE6 was better than FE12 it still doesn't hurt Ike's or Roy's chances by any means, but we certaintly won't be seeing both.

D

Deleted member

Everybody seems to be thinking that the new rep would be Zoroark or Victini. I understand that those two are well known; however, could there be other representatives like Minccino and Emolga? It would be like putting Pichu in melee. These two are also well known in the Pokemon Black and White Games.

Sakurai is not going to perform another Pichu, after the backlash he got for putting in such a horrible character.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Everybody seems to be thinking that the new rep would be Zoroark or Victini. I understand that those two are well known; however, could there be other representatives like Minccino and Emolga? It would be like putting Pichu in melee. These two are also well known in the Pokemon Black and White Games.[/IMG]
Emolga could see a Poke Ball appearance. Not too sure about Minccino though. They're too random anyway.

The only reason Pichu was in Melee was to represent baby Pokemon, and for the fact that it is Pikachu's pre-evolution.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
How is Radiant Dawn the biggest, in length? Radiant Dawn did have the most chapters, until Fire Emlem: New Myster of the Emblem got released. In terms of quality, Radiant Dawn was less well-received both fans and professional reviewers.

Also, Fire Emblem USED to be a big seller up until Path or Radiance, Fire Emblem would sell about 300K (which is pretty much the average for most games in the series). The only games in the series to sell around 150K were Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, and Thracia 776 (which was a Super Nintendo game released in LATE 1999).

Since the release of the Tellius arc, Fire Emblem has struggled to reach the 300K milestone. FE12 did come close to about 275K in sales though. Its too bad that Shadow Dragon sold so poorly in the West, since due to it we were unable to get FE12.
It was the biggest in terms of story, time they took to work on , it had biggest budget (obviously) and I won't allow you to treat a great game like Radiant Dawn so badly I really don't understand what was bad about it but remember PoR and RD were the biggest games of Fire Emblem to date in every term, I don't what do you have against Ike but you better know that Ike didn't steal your beloved Roy place and you must believe in the fact that Roy won't comeback next SSB4.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I really doubt Sakurai is a fan of Ike and/or his games...

If he was, Ragnell wouldn't be modeled as a 2-handed sword in Brawl and Ike wouldn't be as slow as he is.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249

Falco is Hardly considered a clone in the same light as toonlink but he only has one more unique move. I think it's just because both links are well link

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I really doubt Sakurai is a fan of Ike and/or his games...

If he was, Ragnell wouldn't be modeled as a 2-handed sword in Brawl and Ike wouldn't be as slow as he is.
Ragnell is a 2 handed blade in-fact the in-game stats support Ragnell/Alondite being the heaviest swords.... but as you know Ike style is rough like greil's so in-game stat don't mean anything in SSB.

PF9

Smash Lord
As for items, I'd like to see a lot of weapons from the Wars series be in the game. And if Snake returns (and I hope he does), bring some Metal Gear weapons in as well.

OmegaXXII

It was the biggest in terms of story, time they took to work on , it had biggest budget (obviously) and I won't allow you to treat a great game like Radiant Dawn so badly I really don't understand what was bad about it but remember PoR and RD were the biggest games of Fire Emblem to date in every term, I don't what do you have against Ike but you better know that Ike didn't steal your beloved Roy place and you must believe in the fact that Roy won't comeback next SSB4.
Agreed, the fact that "it sold poorly" has nothing to do with Ike being cut in Smash at all, it's mindboggling people would say such things without considering the possibilities.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As for items, I'd like to see a lot of weapons from the Wars series be in the game. And if Snake returns (and I hope he does), bring some Metal Gear weapons in as well.
Keep firearms out of Smash Bros.. Stick with laser firing blasters.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Ragnell is a 2 handed blade in-fact the in-game stats support Ragnell/Alondite being the heaviest swords.... but as you know Ike style is rough like greil's so in-game stat don't mean anything in SSB.
..... Yes, on the Smash Dojo Sakurai said th Ragnell was a 2-handed sword and is modeled that way in Brawl.... But it's a single-handed sword in PoR/RD... Anyone who's played it should know that...

And yeah, it's supposed to be SUPER heavy, but that's just a testament to Ike's amazing strength by wielding it with one arm AND still being fast.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
..... Yes, on the Smash Dojo Sakurai said th Ragnell was a 2-handed sword and is modeled that way in Brawl.... But it's a single-handed sword in PoR/RD... Anyone who's played it should know that...

And yeah, it's supposed to be SUPER heavy, but that's just supposed to be a testament to Ike's amazing strength by wielding it with one arm AND still being fast.
But Ike was strong to and he have a great skill....Sakurai had to choose something between these stats and marth doesn't look like the character with strength...while Ike does look like that.

•Col•

Smash Champion
But Ike was strong to and he have a great skill....Sakurai had to choose something between these stats and marth doesn't look like the character with strength...while Ike does look like that.
More like Sakurai probably doesn't know much of anything about Ike... <_< So he just kinda made stuff up for him...

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
More like Sakurai probably doesn't know much of anything about Ike... <_< So he just kinda made stuff up for him...
Nope.... Ike with all these stats on his side would've been very broken and overpowered while slowing him down is a good Idea and giving him a great strength to go with the flow.... (but I must be honest he overslowed him and it wasn't even funny to die with Ike while doing Nair).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ike had to be slowed down to avoid making him overpowering.

Don't forget that Mewtwo and Wolf were treated in similar fashions too; Mewtwo had a high speed stat in RPGs (base speed of 130), and Wolf was the fastest playable character in Star Fox Assault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom