• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
His opinion changes as much as ours do. He was not at ALL wanting to make a sequel after Brawl, and now look at him. He's actually excited, which in turn, makes me excited. So yes, there is a chance for Sukapon, however as it stands now all we can go on is the whole "Don't expect him" thing. Takamaru would be my #1 frontrunner, but Sakurai might get technical. He said that he wants Takamaru to appear in his own game. Soooo, yeah. I'm sad that he never left us a little secret note on Pit's trophy in Melee. "Will Pit ever fly again?" Yeah, he did Sakurai. He hasn't left us many clues.

Ah retro characters... The only characters that can, in my opinion, make the new SSB feel fresh again. :D

I'm all up for Takamaru, Sukapon, Mach Rider, Mike Jones, Balloon Fighter (or Alice from the Game Boy game), Little Mac (though we can't call him retro now, can we?), Lip, and a few others.

Chris the Ripper

Banned via Administration
omg,now thats getting preety annoying.Stop saying Goku wont get in!Didnt Sakuri also say that SSBB would be the last ssb game?So exsepct the "no anime character rule" to be broken.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Ah retro characters... The only characters that can, in my opinion, make the new SSB feel fresh again. :D

I'm all up for Takamaru, Sukapon, Mach Rider, Mike Jones, Balloon Fighter (or Alice from the Game Boy game), Little Mac (though we can't call him retro now, can we?), Lip, and a few others.
Little Mac still will feel retro, even though he got the Punch Out for Wii, the popular games were back in the NES/SNES days. Same way Pit is still retro in Brawl. Despite what others say I'd still like to see Balloon Fighter, I think it'd be totally unique

D

Deleted member

omg,now thats getting preety annoying.Stop saying Goku wont get in!Didnt Sakuri also say that SSBB would be the last ssb game?So exspect the "no anime character rule" to be broken.
Sakurai did not say that Brawl would be the last game, just the last game he would work on. Sure he may have changed his mind on that, but Sakurai can change his mind and he did with SSB4. That said, you're comparing apples to oranges. Anime characters don't deserve to be in SSB4 because they do not celebrate Nintendo's history at all. There are some things we can't expect to be broken and this is one of them. Based off this, your expectations are to put it nicely, incredibly unreailstic. You're going to end up disappointing yourself with the expectations you have.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I agree that they give this "OMG! NO WAY!" type of excitement that very few newer characters can. So, let's look at your list.

I'm all up for Takamaru,
I wouldn't be jumping for joy at his inclusion, but he's cool I guess.

Sukapon, Mach Rider
I like them enough.

Mike Jones,
I wish I had some video of his game. I have NO idea who this is. His namke reminds me of the rapper, and Nuke Dukem. Not a good combo.

Balloon Fighter (or Alice from the Game Boy game),
Love him, but Tingle FTW.

Little Mac (though we can't call him retro now, can we?),
Yeah yeah, that's fine. He's a tad overrated IMO. But I like him enough.

Lip, and a few others.
Lip's stick is in the game, why not her?

Didn't Sakurai say the same thing about melee, but didn't break the rule when creating brawl?
No he didn't. He had a "No third party rule" and actually, the most wanted third party was . . . . a DBZ character X)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I guess if Little Mac would still be considered retro, he'd be my frontrunner for Sm4sh's retro character.

He'd be followed by Takamaru, followed closely by Sukapon. Then Balloon Fighter I suppose. The last one I'd imagine would be given thought would be Lip. No wait, for whatever reason I'm going to throw Muddy Mole in last.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Okay, so with this next stage idea I am charting into some unfamiliar water here. I've never played a game from this next series, so if there are better ideas/choices please excuse my ignorance.

It's our cute yellow little fellow Starfy! After a significant run as an exclusive series in Japan, he has finally made his way stateside with the release of The Legendary Starfy. So, what better stage than a beach? A lagoon! One side of the stage is sand and the other side a giant rock. Separated by a body of water coming in from the sea. On the beach side you have two platforms, one hovering over the other. These platforms are important as occasionally the tide will pick up and the sea will flow over the sane and base of the rock. To keep from drowning you'll need to be on higher ground, err platform... As for the rock, think of the "rock" transformation in Pokémon Stadium 1. Other than that it's just a big rock...

Stage example:
.....__
__
---------\^^^^(---)

Stage Name: Gluglug Lagoon
Stage Icon: Bubble icon

The Legendary Starfy - Gluglug Lagoon
Densetsu No Starfy - Sea of Ice
Densetsu No Starfy - Deep Sea
Densetsu No Starfy 2 - Lobbers Cave
Densetsu No Starfy 2 - Game Over
Densetsu No Starfy 3 - Task Completed
Densetsu No Starfy 3 - Evil's Final Theme
Densetsu No Starfy 4 - Boss Battle
Densetsu No Starfy 4 - Ending
Densetsu No Starfy 4 - Dressup Fun
The Legendary Starfy - Final Boss
The Legendary Starfy - Super Tough

This one may take a little more "creative liberty", but hopefully everyone enjoys it. We could use a good beach/lagoon/cove stage. I was REALLY tempted to include Orange Ocean from Kirby Super Star on here.

Chris the Ripper

Sakurai did not say that Brawl would be the last game, just the last game he would work on. Sure he may have changed his mind on that, but Sakurai can change his mind and he did with SSB4. That said, you're comparing apples to oranges. Anime characters don't deserve to be in SSB4 because they do not celebrate Nintendo's history at all. There are some things we can't expect to be broken and this is one of them. Based off this, your expectations are to put it nicely, incredibly unreailstic. You're going to end up disappointing yourself with the expectations you have.
You do know no matter what you say,i still think Goku will make it. And if you dont like the idea of him getting in,how about Ryu from Ninja Gaiden?And what about that little star guy,he could be like kirby but a completley different moveset

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Ryu H. has a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy bigger chance than Goku, I'm also sure no one stated they dislike Goku but he just doesn't fit in logically.

Ninja Gaiden has been working with Nintendo a lot so seeing him wouldn't be a surprise and wouldn't break any of Sakurai's rules.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@Star

This stage would be majorly awesome. How does the water work though? Is it similar to how it plays in the water levels in Mario? Or more similar to brawl? How does the tide work? Is it a swift flood, or what?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@Star

This stage would be majorly awesome. How does the water work though? Is it similar to how it plays in the water levels in Mario? Or more similar to brawl? How does the tide work? Is it a swift flood, or what?
Think of Norfair, except with water. It would rise periodically and last long enough that a character could obviously drown. The water would function just like any other body of water in Brawl. You would know the tide is about to rise as you'd hear the water "swooshing" and see the water in between the stage begin sloshing around.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
D

Deleted member

@Starphoenix: I like your concept of the stage. I've never played it, but it looks very unique and uniqueness is what sets Smash Bros. apart from other franchises.
Chris the Ripper said:
You do know no matter what you say,i still think Goku will make it. And if you dont like the idea of jim getting in,how about Ryu from Ninja Gaiden?
Just because you don't want to hear what I am trying to point out to you doesn't mean that you should ignore this. Me saying that Goku will never get in is a fact because Sakurai said it himself that we will never see an anime character in SSB4.

For Ryu Hayabusa, he would be a great character and is a strong contender for a potential fourth third-party slot. Sadly, only Mega Man is a likely new third-party character and while much more likely then Goku (Who chances are zero), no one aside from Mega Man looks good.

As for Starfy, he would be a great choice as well (I have him under my signature). He has a good shot of being on the 3DS version, but they're reduced to mediocre because he has no console games. Hopefully, he's playable on both versions.

Chris the Ripper

@Starphoenix: I like your concept of the stage. I've never played it, but it looks very unique and uniqueness is what sets Smash Bros. apart from other franchises.Just because you don't want to hear what I am trying to point out to you doesn't mean that you should ignore this. Me saying that Goku will never get in is a fact because Sakurai said it himself that we will never see an anime character in SSB4.

For Ryu Hayabusa, he would be a great character and is a strong contender for a potential fourth third-party slot. Sadly, only Mega Man is a likely new third-party character and while much more likely then Goku (Who chances are zero), no one aside from Mega Man looks good.

As for Starfy, he would be a great choice as well (I have him under my signature). He has a good shot of being on the 3DS version, but they're reduced to mediocre because he has no console games. Hopefully, he's playable on both versions.
I want to say to you two words that ends my conversations in real life but i'll just say Ridley for SSB4 and Goku FTW!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Let's have Zoda instead. I want to shoot eyeballs at someone.
lol that'd be cool too.

Now...

What do you guys think of NINTEN from Mother 1? Shouldn't Mother 1 get a rep? We've got Ness for Mother 2, and Lucas for Mother 3.

Ninten's moves could be something like Teleport, Offense Up, Psi Magnet (mandatory), and Hypnosis.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Pokémon Black and White is demented! The story, some of the Pokémon, the whole historical background. My how things have changed.

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
lol that'd be cool too.

Now...

What do you guys think of NINTEN from Mother 1? Shouldn't Mother 1 get a rep? We've got Ness for Mother 2, and Lucas for Mother 3.

Ninten's moves could be something like Teleport, Offense Up, Psi Magnet (mandatory), and Hypnosis.
Mother having 3 reps is a stretch considering that the series isn't that big and only has 3 games. Ninten should probably just be an alternate costume for Ness considering they look almost identical.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

Am I the only one that wants to get rid of Ness? lol.

Having Ninten, Ness, AND Lucas would just be so... BORING! I know they may all play differently, and I suppose that would be all that really matters, but I'd really like a more.. diverse look? In the end they would all be big-headed psychic boys wearing striped shirts.

You could probably make a similar case for the space animals... but at least Falco is a different species.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Am I the only one that wants to get rid of Ness? lol.

Having Ninten, Ness, AND Lucas would just be so... BORING! I know they may all play differently, and I suppose that would be all that really matters, but I'd really like a more.. diverse look? In the end they would all be big-headed psychic boys wearing striped shirts.

You could probably make a similar case for the space animals... but at least Falco is a different species.
Ness is a staple to Smash Bros. (Not to mention my first main). It wouldn't be a good thing to drop him.

What I really want is more Earthbound songs. Brawl had.. NONE. No Earthbound songs whatsoever. Only Mother 1 and 3 songs, but not Mother 2.

Are they THAT paranoid about legal issues?

RaphaelTMNT

Smash Apprentice
Well here is my list of what I think the roster could look like for Smash bros wii u. I've got my choices color coded for their percentage of each character earning a roster spot in the game.

A given, already included basically!

Most likely will be included

Has a good chance

Right on the borderline

Most likely not

It's a possibility; but most likely not going to happen

1.Mario
2.Luigi
3.Peach
4.Bowser
5.Fox MCcloud
6.Wario
7.Zelda/shiek
8.Link
9.Marth
10.Samus

11.King Dedede
12.Yoshi
13.Ice Climbers
14.Ness
15.Meta Knight
16.Kirby
17.Pitt
18.Olimar
19.Pokemon trainer
20.Mewtwo

21.R.O.B
22.Falco
23.Donkey Kong
24.Sonic
25.Jiggly puff
26.Mr. Game and Watch
27.Ganondorf
28.Captain Falcon
29.Diddy Kong
30.Wolf

31.Snake
32.Pikachu
33.Young Link/and or cell shaded
34.Tails (Sonic series)
35.Petey Piranha
36.Tingle
37.Ryu (street fighter)
38.Bowser jr.
39.Raphael (TMNT)
40.Megaman

41.Krystal (Star Fox series)
42.Ridely (Metroid series)
43.king k rool
44.Lucas
45.Waluigi

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
I think Nintendo's already pushing it with two Mother reps. It's more bias than anything, since I really disliked Earthbound, but I'd rather not see Mother get more reps past Ness and Lucas.

MisterDrBob

Smash Apprentice
Well here is my list of what I think the roster could look like for Smash bros wii u. I've got my choices color coded for their percentage of each character earning a roster spot in the game.

A given, already included basically!

Most likely will be included

Has a good chance

Right on the borderline

Most likely not

It's a possibility; but most likely not going to happen

1.Mario
2.Luigi
3.Peach
4.Bowser
5.Fox MCcloud
6.Wario
7.Zelda/shiek
8.Link
9.Marth
10.Samus

11.King Dedede
12.Yoshi
13.Ice Climbers
14.Ness
15.Meta Knight
16.Kirby
17.Pitt
18.Olimar
19.Pokemon trainer
20.Mewtwo

21.R.O.B
22.Falco
23.Donkey Kong
24.Sonic
25.Jiggly puff
26.Mr. Game and Watch
27.Ganondorf
28.Captain Falcon
29.Diddy Kong
30.Wolf

31.Snake
32.Pikachu
33.Young Link/and or cell shaded
34.Tails (Sonic series)
35.Petey Piranha
36.Tingle
37.Ryu (street fighter)
38.Bowser jr.
39.Raphael (TMNT)
40.Megaman

41.Krystal (Star Fox series)
42.Ridely (Metroid series)
43.king k rool
44.Lucas
45.Waluigi

I think a lot of the characters from Brawl you think don't have a good chance are actually pretty likely.

Here's the pattern I've noticed so far: original 12 are safe, Melee vets who returned for Brawl are safe permanently too. I think the other criteria are being original enough or representing a series. So Snake, Sonic, Pit and Olimar are a lot more likely than you give credit (just to give some examples).

Plus you have to think about how Nintendo has used marketing for the roster. Ike is safe if another Fire Emblem game doesn't come out before the new Smash Bros., but if a new subseries is opened for FE, he'll be replaced by the protagonist for that game. Pit's getting a new game so he's a shoe-in. And Snake is pretty much guaranteed thanks to the remake of MGS3 for 3DS. And fan demand seems to be high for Mega Man. It wouldn't surprise me if Sakurai included him this time around. It worked for Sonic, didn't it? Raphael seems completely out of the question since he didn't originate in a video game. Other than that (and Petey, I can't see how he'd work as a playable character), I think you make some pretty good guesses.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Well, i hate you all then, i love the Mother characters, so... Just no. :-P
Loved Earthbound, so i'd actually love to see the person that can actually DO all the special moves on Earthy boundy(a. k. a. Paula). She should also have pray somewhere in there.

Anyway, Shinhed, if you look at the songs, you'll realise there actually is an Earthbound song in there: Humoresque of a little dog. Unless it's also in M. 3, or in M. 1, Humoresque of a Little Dog is pretty much just the store song(in Earthbound) sped up with a few extra bits in it.

Anyway, my main point is, i wanna see the psychic kids in the next one + 1. And before anyone goes off at me for how much they were already repped, just think about mario, zelda, and pokemon, and how much they will likely be repped in the next one.

Not going off on a rant or anything. :p

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Anyway, Shinhed, if you look at the songs, you'll realise there actually is an Earthbound song in there: Humoresque of a little dog. Unless it's also in M. 3, or in M. 1, Humoresque of a Little Dog is pretty much just the store song(in Earthbound) sped up with a few extra bits in it.

Not going off on a rant or anything. :p
Humoresque of a little dog is also the store song for Mother 1.

It's a shame, but couldn't they at least give us the Fourside theme? It was a really nice tune.

Then again, I found Mother 1 songs a lot more memorable for some strange reason. Earthbound's final boss theme HAS to be in SSB4. Even if you hate Earthbound, who cares? It kicks ***.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZRyJDOVRlk

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I know, talk about saving a franchise.

Too bad a lot of the Pokemon designs are still *** :/
Every series has dumb pokemon. So don't start that. Black and White was pretty good. what do you mean saving a franchise? I've liked every Generation so far?

RaphaelTMNT

Smash Apprentice
I think a lot of the characters from Brawl you think don't have a good chance are actually pretty likely.

Here's the pattern I've noticed so far: original 12 are safe, Melee vets who returned for Brawl are safe permanently too. I think the other criteria are being original enough or representing a series. So Snake, Sonic, Pit and Olimar are a lot more likely than you give credit (just to give some examples).

Plus you have to think about how Nintendo has used marketing for the roster. Ike is safe if another Fire Emblem game doesn't come out before the new Smash Bros., but if a new subseries is opened for FE, he'll be replaced by the protagonist for that game. Pit's getting a new game so he's a shoe-in. And Snake is pretty much guaranteed thanks to the remake of MGS3 for 3DS. And fan demand seems to be high for Mega Man. It wouldn't surprise me if Sakurai included him this time around. It worked for Sonic, didn't it? Raphael seems completely out of the question since he didn't originate in a video game. Other than that (and Petey, I can't see how he'd work as a playable character), I think you make some pretty good guesses.
The reason I had Sonic and Snake at such a low rank for returning is because of their 3rd party status, but I'm very confident both characters will return. And just like you said for Ike, if another fire emblem is released before the next smash bros he will be replaced by the main hero, just as Ike did with Roy. But yeah I guess Olimar and Pit could go a level up.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Fair enough Shinhed. :)
Just on a side note about that, i've heard Giygas was rated one of the most disturbing bosses of all time.
One note.. I just played through Earthbound again (first time since I was like 8, so like 12 years ago) LOVED IT. In regards to the music, I was thinking "why the hell is the music for the sound stone not in Brawl" Unless I'm completely tone deaf. It's one of the most meaningful songs in the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11bhsQRhrrQ&feature=related (here's the sound stone melody) Granted it's not a threatening song but it'd be nice if it made an appearance.

On the other note. When I was facing Giygas, it was like 4 am and I don't get creeped out easily. But for so strange reason, maybe it's Pokey's big dumb head, I was very uneasy. Had to check behind me a few times to make sure there was nothing going on :p

I do agree that 2 reps is all you need. I can't see Earthbound getting another rep, nor Mother 3. Adding Ninten would be the same as Ness, they are pretty much identical. But it would be interesting to see what would happen if they added Claus. I still think 2 reps is good for it, and I am a huge fan of Earthbound. As long as they have a lot of extras from the series, it will be properly represented.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Awww... :(

But anyway, i can see your point, it's just i'm slightly worried about them cutting off lucas' PK thunder 2 like they did with ness from 64 to Brawl(actually i think it was 64 to melee, but, anyway...). I also wish ness would get his screaming bat back. It was so amazing in the first one.

anyways...

Hoots

Can Be Combative
The Raphael guy really included Raphael in his roster. That's almost like me putting Al Swearengen in a roster of mine, except my name isn't alswearengen_deadwood....

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
OMFG Brawlies all over wtf! Stop it!
We want good mechanics and such not more to the roster which makes it more complicated to balance chars. -.-

Hoots

Can Be Combative
OMFG Brawlies all over wtf! Stop it!
We want good mechanics and such not more to the roster which makes it more complicated to balance chars. -.-
Speak for yourself. Id much rather have a 50 character roster that isn't balanced than a 25 character roster that is. The tourney players are only gonna play the top 5 chars anyway.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Every series has dumb pokemon. So don't start that. Black and White was pretty good. what do you mean saving a franchise? I've liked every Generation so far?
Yea, too bad that Sakurai is forgetting the 3rd gen, so far 1st gen, 2nd gen. and 4th gen. Pokemon have been represented.

Obviously the 5th gen. is going to get rep. that's either Zoroark or that other pokemon.

I hoping to see Meowth this time around.

Zombiesarecool

Smash Cadet
Speak for yourself. Id much rather have a 50 character roster that isn't balanced than a 25 character roster that is. The tourney players are only gonna play the top 5 chars anyway.
Quoted for the win. I want awesome unique characters that might be under or overpowered to others. How awesome would it be if I could murder someone as Tom Nook with a bugnet. True competitors will learn to exploit weaknesses and strengths of characters rather than using a "mario" ya dig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom