• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Is the New Super Mario Bros. 2 a reboot of the actual SMB2, or is it what I expect it to be, another bland NSMBW remix?

:phone:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Still, Marth, Roy, and Ike in the same game now? Words beyond epic. Now if only Ike didn't look like a derp.
Like I said, the stock market will have a field day with the redesigns.

Is the New Super Mario Bros. 2 a reboot of the actual SMB2, or is it what I expect it to be, another bland NSMBW remix?

The latter. :p

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Still, Marth, Roy, and Ike in the same game now? Words beyond epic. Now if only Ike didn't look like a derp.
I'm rooting for Marth, Roy and Krom now. As long as Krom's playstyle is similar to Ike's I'll be fine.

Is it just me, or is Roy carrying two swords?

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Let me say that I'm a tremendous Mario fan, and my complaint about NSMB2 isn't about how it's another NSMB game (I love the direction of the New series) or the name, but rather:

The screenshot below looks like it could've come from the DS game. Seriously, I don't know what's going on with this shot, and why it's one of the visually poopiest 3DS shots I've ever seen.

And to you meanies being meanies about New Super Mario Bros.: stop being meanies. It's the same ol' Mario, just without all the nostalgia that makes everyone think SMB3 and SMW are the best forever and always. Really, the games have some better level design than the (S)NES games. Some.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I'm lost for word Roy have been redesigned to the better (hope his stats are better now) xD awesome looking to, I bet they did the redesign because they are planning to do Eliwood DLC and they didnt want everyone to mix him with Roy..

D

Deleted member

I'm rooting for Marth, Roy and Krom now. As long as Krom's playstyle is similar to Ike's I'll be fine.

I think that is his sheath.
You know, the thing he didn't have in Melee? :p

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Let me say that I'm a tremendous Mario fan, and my complaint about NSMB2 isn't about how it's another NSMB game (I love the direction of the New series) or the name, but rather:

The screenshot below looks like it could've come from the DS game. Seriously, I don't know what's going on with this shot, and why it's one of the jaggiest 3DS shots I've ever seen.

And to you meanies being meanies about New Super Mario Bros.: stop being meanies. It's the same ol' Mario, just without all the nostalgia that makes SMB3 and SMW so awesome. Really, the games have some better level design than the SNES games.

It's got a P meter!

I'd rather have a SMB2 remake though

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That image is exactly why I refer to the NSMBW spinoffs as bland; to the untrained eye, it's the same game with the oh-so-nostalgic Tanooki suit (with no other SMB3 powerup, no less) thrown in as half-arsed 'innovation'.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Ike will probably get a proper DLC release eventually.

Surprised how radically Roy changed, though I suppose it isn't all that much different. I wonder if he's getting a custom class or getting the Star Lord treatment.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I think that is his sheath.
You know, the thing he didn't have in Melee? :p
I couldn't tell, I was going to say if it was a dual blade I can only imagine the people begging for Roy to return in Smash Bros as a dual blade wielder. lol

Ike will probably get a proper DLC release eventually.

Surprised how radically Roy changed, though I suppose it isn't all that much different. I wonder if he's getting a custom class or getting the Star Lord treatment.
From what it looks like Marth is a unique class, so I see no reason why the other lords would not be?

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
That image is exactly why I refer to the NSMBW spinoffs as bland; to the untrained eye, it's the same game with the oh-so-nostalgic Tanooki suit (with no other SMB3 powerup, no less) thrown in as half-arsed 'innovation'.

Dude, the Super Mario games of the olden days did the exact same thing. I can agree that we need less Tanooki and more new power-ups, as well as more varied locations, but it's a sequel for a reason. It retains the same basic elements and visual style.

Seriously, the level design is brilliant in NSMBWii.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Btw, the guy who redesigned Roy is apparently the artist who did the designs for The Last Story.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

I don't want Ike cut. I vehemently hate the idea of cuts. Though canonically, Krom can do both Aether and Quick Draw. Ike, however, was one of the most popular newcomers introduced in Brawl, though I cannot see Krom and Ike coexisting (much like Lucario and Zoroark). I think Sakurai is simply going to make it Marth, Roy, and Ike. My personal hope for Smash 4 is that no one from Brawl is cut, and Mewtwo and Roy are brought back.

I am very pleased with Roy's re-design though, and I think it would make him stand out even more in Smash 4.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
From what it looks like Marth is a unique class, so I see no reason why the other lords would not be?
I suppose, but would he really need to be a different class? I don't have enough info about Marth's class in FE13, nor do I know enough about Roy's off the top of my head, but as long as he has his unique look, I'd have to wonder if Roy would actually need a different class. Leaf from what I understand is distinctly different then what I assume FE13's Marth class is like.

D

Deleted member

@Chrono: Difference between Ike/Krom and Lucario/Zoroark is that the former pair are actually similar to each other while the latter pair has very little in common other than the fact they are anthro canines.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Btw, the guy who redesigned Roy is apparently the artist who did the designs for The Last Story.
That explains the black and white that was added to his design. Anyone else get an Ike vive from the redesign?

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I don't want Ike cut. I vehemently hate the idea of cuts. Though canonically, Krom can do both Aether and Quick Draw. Ike, however, was one of the most popular newcomers introduced in Brawl, though I cannot see Krom and Ike coexisting (much like Lucario and Zoroark). I think Sakurai is simply going to make it Marth, Roy, and Ike. My personal hope for Smash 4 is that no one from Brawl is cut, and Mewtwo and Roy are brought back.

I am very pleased with Roy's re-design though, and I think it would make him stand out even more in Smash 4.
Atleast now we know Roy doesn't live under his father shadow anymore xD, I would kill for Ike DLC with a redesign.....

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Wait a second....does Roy's new getup look sort of really similar to Ike's to anyone else? I mean it has a slightly different color scheme, and more accessories, but its actually really close on further inspection.

Also, how is Roy's cape attached? Is he just holding it?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The Roy DLC is being released during Golden Week, which is a week of a set of Japanese holidays occurring in the same week. I think FE13 is going to have a big first two weeks.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Dude, the Super Mario games of the olden days did the exact same thing. I can agree that we need less Tanooki and more new power-ups, as well as more varied locations, but it's a sequel for a reason. It retains the same basic elements and visual style.

Seriously, the level design is brilliant in NSMBWii.
It's frustrating to see such clear potential in a SMB2 reboot entirely skipped over for something that will most likely bring absolutely nothing new or noteworthy to the table. Level design is fantastic and all, but when the core game feels so identical to begin with, even this doesn't feel like enough to warrant a sequel.

D

Deleted member

The Roy DLC is being released during Golden Week, which is a week of a set of Japanese holidays occurring in the same week. I think FE13 is going to have a big first two weeks.
Must be the sign I was looking for.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Wait a second....does Roy's new getup look sort of really similar to Ike's to anyone else? I mean it has a slightly different color scheme, and more accessories, but its actually really close on further inspection.

Also, how is Roy's cape attached? Is he just holding it?
Marth = Lucina's model

Roy = seems to be going for Krom...

D

Deleted member

It's frustrating to see such clear potential in a SMB2 reboot entirely skipped over for something that will most likely bring absolutely nothing new or noteworthy to the table. Level design is fantastic and all, but when the core game feels so identical to begin with, even this doesn't feel like enough to warrant a sequel.

You have to remember two things:

1. SMB2 wasn't originally a Mario game to begin with. It was Doki Doki Panic with Mario and co. replacing the playable characters.

2. Canonwise (if there's any shred of it at all), it was all in Mario's dreams. So unless he has a similar dream in a future title, I doubt it will be rebooted.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You have to remember two things:

1. SMB2 wasn't originally a Mario game to begin with. It was Doki Doki Panic with Mario and co. replacing the playable characters.

2. Canonwise, it was all in Mario's dreams. So unless he has a similar dream in a future title, I doubt it will be rebooted.
Mario has to sleep eventually.

I want my Mario 2 sequel

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Hence why it is a personal thing. The primary reason I like Ike is because he is my secondary main in Brawl, outside of that he doesn't do much for me. Krom I actually like, and if he was able to inherit Ike's playstyle, than that is as good of a combination as peanut butter and chocolate, personally. While I still don't think Krom is really all that similar to Ike, but after Roy's redesign I just cannot pass on him now. It does not change what I believe will happen, but what I want to happen has.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
The problem is that a Super Mario Bros. 2 reboot would be just as strange as the original was, timing-wise. I mean, I love the gameplay of SMB2, but it came at an incredibly incongruous time in the, admittedly young, SMB lifespan. I'm sure you know this, but it wasn't even a Mario game; it was Doki Doki Panic with Mario characters subbed in. It would be just as odd to eschew the regular platforming of the NSMB series at this point in its young life for a reboot of SMB2. I would also not be so quick to say that there is likely nothing new to be brought to the table here. Those greenhorns that Miyamoto has let take over did a brilliant job with 3D land, so I trust they'll do something refreshing with NSMB2.

I would agree though that it's a bit early for a new NSMB. I mean, unless it just blows me away, I would rather them focus their resources on something else.

Also:

And now I want to be a corrupt mobster mayor in Animal Crossing 3DS.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The stock market certainly changed it's mind fast. Still waiting on news related to FE13's story and Krom though.

BTW, I just looked on his wiki page, turns out Ike dyes his hair blue:

[COLLAPSE="Child Ike"]
[/COLLAPSE]

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The thing about the Marth and Roy DLC content is that a lot of people will download it since they are both FREE (up until May 31st) and both being released during critical periods (Marth's during launch, and Roy's during Golden Week).

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
The stock market certainly changed it's mind fast. Still waiting on news related to FE13's story and Krom though.

[COLLAPSE="Child Ike"]
[/COLLAPSE]
Please, stock market is for chumps. I make no bones about it, I'm fickle. What I want can change day from day. However, what I know or believe is in an entirely different compartment than that of my wants.

Opinion ≠ Belief

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

[COLLAPSE="Child Ike"]
[/COLLAPSE]
That whole picture looks like it's in sepia.

I doubt it represents his true hair color

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
So, one of you Fire Emblem-heads answer me this. Would it be pleasing to any aspect of Fire Emblem fandom for it to have 4 reps (Marth, Ike, Krom, Roy), and have one of them be a clone?

By which I mean one of the two scenarios:

1) Marth, Roy (Luigified Marth clone), Ike, Krom (completely unique)

2) Marth, Roy (completely unique), Ike, Krom (lighter, Luigified Ike clone)

Or would Krom as a clone make no sense? Basically, someone tell me what those 4 FE reps would look like if either Roy or Krom were a clone.

Or maybe we'll get super lucky and get 2 unique FE characters in Roy in Krom, but I just see one or the other getting prioritized, and the other getting a clone treatment (in the unlikely instance that we do get both).

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Most of the blue haired lords are similar. Heck
Krom's genes apparently let him make an offspring that's pretty much a dead ringer for Marth and it doesn't matter who the mother is
. I'm just commenting on the outfits here.
Ever saw Vanguard Ike ? the armor is too similar to Krom and the and the way they fight...

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Roy deserves to be the most not-clone of all.

Gosh, with that new design, and his potentially amazing moveset, who even needs a NEW face for Fire Emblem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom