• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Toad needs to have similar attacks as Olimar,but his neutral B will be like the Peach´s one(but with more knockback),and his Front B will be a headbutt.

yani

Smash Lord
Sakurai: Correct. I know I’m the one who’s being interviewed, but I’d like to ask you how Nintendo felt about having outsiders in the game.

Iwata: You mean, whether or not it was okay?

Sakurai: Right.

Iwata: Everyone understood for the most part since that’s the nature of Smash Bros. However, there were debates about where to draw the line. For the most part though, it was readily solved since we were comfortable that you were in charge for the selection. I myself thought it was best to make the game as inclusive and entertaining as possible since festive opportunities like Smash Bros. come along only once in a great while.

Sakurai: I’m glad everyone felt they could trust me. For my part, I have no regrets about incorporating Snake and Sonic into the game and I think their inclusion was well worthwhile.
From an Iwata asks. No regrets.

Hmmmmmmmm...... Can't think well due to lack of sleep. -_-

I honestly think we're thinking a little too..... Cryptically.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I guess Sakurai doesn't view it as Nintendo All-Stars either. Just characters he likes. Or Iconic. Or both. :p

Anyway, about the Toad Rush, it either originated in Kart Fighter or M.U.G.E.N.

I guess Sakurai doesn't view it as Nintendo All-Stars either. Just characters he likes. Or Iconic. Or both. :p

Anyway, about the Toad Rush, it either originated in Kart Fighter or M.U.G.E.N.
Actually, it didn't originate from any of the 2.

BUT, it's actually Toad kart only that he's not on a kart. He's running instead. He's known for being a fast character on and off kart (I don't understand why he's known for that because he's one of the slowest characters in Mario Kart 3D). Oh and the follow ups are actually based on his mushroom and physical abilities from Sports Mix and SMB 2.
Why you think that?
Whenever we see some sort of small *** message, we analyze it then we find out the message and assume that it has a huge impact on a character's "chances" or something.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Actually, it didn't originate from any of the 2.

BUT, it's actually Toad kart only that he's not on a kart. He's running instead. He's known for being a fast character on and off kart (I don't understand why he's known for that because he's one of the slowest characters in Mario Kart 3D). Oh and the follow ups are actually based on his mushroom and physical abilities from Sports Mix and SMB 2.
Different Toad Rush in this case. I was referring to the move that was actually named it, not the one you made.

It was basically a clone(if you will) rush.

D

Deleted member

In regards to Sakurai saying a character must be unique, I don't think it necessarily means the character has to have different moves so much as to play differently from others. This can be applied to everyone, even clones, as you can't just transfer your style to one character.

I'm willing to hear from SmashChu (or any active Shulk supporter like him) on why Shulk is likely, but I don't really see Shulk in Smash. Nothing indicates that Sakurai would like to see Shulk in Smash and I feel that it's popularity is overstated. While Xenoblade may have universal critical acclaim, I feel that the hype for Shulk will die down as we get further and further from Xenoblade's North American release (as has been happening to Ghirahim and Victini). Perhaps it will remain strong in Japan, but we have to remember that Sakurai looks outside of Japan for what people want to see and outside of Japan, Isaac, Little Mac, and Saki all beats him. The best I feel he'll reach is beating both Starfy and Ray in popularity (currently) and even then, as I stated before, I doubt it'll hold.

As for the Duck Hunt Dog, I'm not sure why people say he isn't getting in. I find it likely that we'll get a character few people expect. Like Arcadenik said, people don't hate him, they LOVE to hate him. Some people suggest Sheriff due to them thinking that he was the first character created by Nintendo, but that's not true. Another character I could see as the unexpected one is Diskun, but I think Duck Hunt Dog is more likely, especially with being 20x more well known than Sheriff/Diskun.

Finally, covering Sonic and Snake. If this was a roster on who I feel should be in a 53 character situation, I would bring back all Brawl veterans and swap 6th gen Pokemon and Duck Hunt Dog with Sonic and Snake since they do deserve to be in (although I still between a 6th gen and Duck Hunt Dog are good choices). And if I were to expand said prediction roster to 58 characters, I would add both back. Sadly, I feel that cuts are likely to happen and I think that third-parties veterans are the lowest priority since there has never been a case where third-parties returned in another cross-over game in the sequel unless it was developed by said company and this game is not being developed by Sega or Konami.

@Luco and berseker01: Nice to see ya again! Oh and Luco, your music is awesome.

Here's a remix from Mega Man 10 you will love. Same goes to all Mega Man fans.
Johnknight1's #100905 said:
You remind me a lot of the guy who ran the Mega Man pre-Brawl thread.
I'm gonna run the Toon/Young Link thread and a thread for character predictions (based around my character picks) once Smash Wii U/3DS get their own board(s).
I will as well and it will be as awesome as yours. Remember, I came up with the idea of being Wiseguy's successor first.
I think Tails is very possible. I have him as a sleeper pick of mine.
I guess I could see Tails if Sonic became a permanent guess and we were a few games off, but I feel it's a bit premature to add both in this time.
* From Smash 64 to Melee, the roster size increased by 14 to 26. From Melee to Brawl, the roster size increased by 13 to 39. So naturally the roster size increasing from Brawl to Smash 4 would be 12 characters to a grand total of 51 characters.
I don't think there's any consistency based off only one decline in increase of characters. While the increase have been between twelve and fourteen characters per game, there's no real pattern to show up how large the roster will be. It could be our largest expansion, it could be more conservative with it's expansion, and it could just as likely be a similar amount of expansion that we got in the last three games.
* 3 years development will be the minimum. Don't forget, this is 2 games we are talking about, not 1. I wouldn't be surprised if it took 4 or 5 years, but 3 1/2 is what I expect.
Sakurai stated that the game would take two to three years. 3 1/2 might be possible if Sakurai starts with a 2 1/2-3 years development, but I don't think we should expect an gigantic amount of time in development as there is only so much money they can throw at this game before they have to release it.
KumaOso said:
I get the feeling that the WiiU version will come out first followed by the 3DS one. That being said, I think a simultaneous release has its merits too.
I'm going to say we're getting a simultaneous release. I think Sakurai wants to be able to sell both version as well as possible and having one version released later could affect it's sale, especially if it's the 3DS version.
Johnknight1's #100919 said:
-Shigeru Miyamoto says he can get any character in smash he wants.
Forgot to add this as a reason for why I picked Toad as the Mario newcomer in my prediction roster. Toad is, after all, one of Miyamoto's favorite characters and one that easily came up.

@Young Horsetail: Yeah, it seems like it. Even Pieman0920 shows up from time to time.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I see what you did there.

Spelling with Unoun was the reason why they're my favorite 2nd gen legendaries.
I once wrote an essay in high school consisting of nothing but Unown letters. It was a good 4-5 pages in length, and was great material, though I forget what I wrote about. Unfortunately, I got an F.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I see what you did there.

Spelling with Unoun was the reason why they're my favorite 2nd gen legendaries.
I would hardly classify those useless little things as legendaries, even if the movies refer to them as such.

Although I did use to pass notes spelled out with Unowns in class so the teacher didn't know what I was saying. :laugh:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Don't make demise his FS,it fits better as ganondorf's default costume(because zelda and link will probably be SS but next to a twilight princess picture...)
Ganondorf and Demise are two different people (they're almost the same, but they aren't), and there physical builds are quite contrasting because while Ganondorf is big, Demise is a huge-tank-of-a-dude. It could work if he was shrunk down, and if Ganondorf did not get his sword in SSB4 (which most people hope for... still), so I prefer the idea of Demise being a perfect FS for Ghirahim because it makes so much sense and Ganondorf finally getting his sword and true identity.

In regards to Sakurai saying a character must be unique, I don't think it necessarily means the character has to have different moves so much as to play differently from others. This can be applied to everyone, even clones, as you can't just transfer your style to one character.

I'm willing to hear from SmashChu (or any active Shulk supporter like him) on why Shulk is likely, but I don't really see Shulk in Smash. Nothing indicates that Sakurai would like to see Shulk in Smash and I feel that it's popularity is overstated. While Xenoblade may have universal critical acclaim, I feel that the hype for Shulk will die down as we get further and further from Xenoblade's North American release (as has been happening to Ghirahim and Victini). Perhaps it will remain strong in Japan, but we have to remember that Sakurai looks outside of Japan for what people want to see and outside of Japan, Isaac, Little Mac, and Saki all beats him. The best I feel he'll reach is beating both Starfy and Ray in popularity (currently) and even then, as I stated before, I doubt it'll hold.

Shulk (and Ghirahim for that matter) are supported for a few reasons, one of them being about the first snippet you mentioned pertaining uniqueness of their playstyle. Both characters are sword wielders, which are uncommon, but that isn't quite it. In the case of Ghirahim he has a very unique style that even just his appearance adds another flavor to it. Then in terms of his move-set, the possibilities are immense, not in just different moves, but allowing different mechanics and style. Even my measly move-set shows he can be different. His game is also very popular, and he actually does have a good fanbase, unfortunately the SSB fanbase and that fanbase don't overlap very much, or at least that is not shown around these parts.

As for Shulk, as you said his existence is now well known because of Operation Rainfall and the great reviews that were I think just slightly less than Skyward Sword's own over-hyped reviews. His move-set also can be quite unique, I'm not sure if you've played the games, but the moves that his Monado gives him is literally so different from what everyone else is doing that he would be like no addition yet. Where he doesn't have the benefit of being in a big franchise like Zelda, unlike Ghirahim he is the lead character in his, and the ending of Xenoblade leaves open for even more appearances (we can only hope). You can hardly go to a page on youtube pertaining to Xenoblade and avoid someone posting a comment about him needing to be in the next SSB.

Now, they aren't guaranteed, but I do feel among newcomers both have legitimate chances. What their likelihood is I wouldn't dare pretend to know, but they stand out compared to a lot of what is being asked for in my opinion.

Damn heel. Haven't even played that game and your getting my hyped for this fabulous hunk o character~!

EDIT: So realistically how big of a chance does this dude have of getting in. Because I want him in. :I
[COLLAPSE="Since you haven't played you might not get this buuut~"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Play the game and your hype will multiply, guaranteed. As I mentioned above, his chances are certainly not high, but adequate enough to not give up on him.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Toad is, after all, one of Miyamoto's favorite characters and one that easily came up.
I'm pretty sure Miyamoto does not like Toad very much, at least as far as Mario Kart is concerned Toad is his LEAST favorite.

That’s the most challenging question! I’m sorry that I cannot come up with an interesting answer. Somehow, it’s habit to me, but I play with Mario. He’s a very balanced character.

Who’s your least favorite character?

Toad. [Laughs]

My favorite character is your least favorite character?

I understand that he has some popularity. Somehow.
http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/02/10/shigeru-miyamoto-zelda/

That certainly doesn't do Toad any favors,

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Oh man, that line. Ghirahim was such a cool villain.
Hades kind of reminded me of him, which is why I like Hades so much. :D My most favorite two villians. I'd even consider putting Hades in my Betting Corner roster... he seems unlikely but at the same time... he IS the antagonist of Sakurai's new game.

I can say that without spoilers by now right? :awesome: kthx

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think a part of me hates Skyward Sword. It's a classic game, but IMO it's a lower tier Zelda game just like Twilight Princess. I feel that if any Zelda newcomers were to get in, it should be from the best games in the series, not the most recent (which IMO would be the original, A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and the Wind Waker).
i have a question for all of you.

how many of you knew where Ness came from before playing SSB 64
and how many of you have actually played mother1/earthbound/mother 3?
I had no idea who Ness was, but I do remember seeing EarthBound advertisements as a kid in game stores. I thought as a kid they looked stupid. But boy, I've played EarthBound and beaten it a few times after I got Smash 64 and Melee, and it's an incredible game. I also beat Mother 3 a few years ago, and I got halfway through MOTHER 1 before I accidentally deleted my ROM file of it! :mad:

In Smash 64 I didn't recognize Captain Falcon, either. Unless I'm mistaken, he hadn't bee shown much outside his ship until F-Zero X and Smash 64.
From an Iwata asks. No regrets.
This is my response, although I have said this a trillion times since even before Brawl came out. B****es need to recognize that Sakurai like the Metal Gear and Sonic franchises, as well as Snake and Sonic as individual characters. :embarrass:
I once wrote an essay in high school consisting of nothing but Unown letters. It was a good 4-5 pages in length, and was great material, though I forget what I wrote about. Unfortunately, I got an F.
Was it at least the F in Unown letters=??? :awesome:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Why the Falcon would any of you write in Unown letters=???

If you were real MEN, you would write like men.

Like what Captain Falcon does. He writes out his letters by punching through walls, making a hole, and turning the hole into a letter. :falconmelee:

The, Captain Falcon takes a picture of each hole in the wall, and uses them as each letter he posts on the internet! :shades:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Why the Falcon would any of you write in Unown letters=???

If you were real MEN, you would write like how Captain Falcon does; by writing out your letters in holes in a wall, and posting the pictures of the hole letters on the internet as letters! :shades:
Why are you telling us about real men? :troll:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
OMG guys, I heard Miyamoto hates toad.

I'm sure that makes him deconfirmed

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
"Don't turn the mustard upside down, or else it will turn into ketchup."-not Gary Oak

Because you boys need a good whipping for not wanting Ridley in Smash bad enough. You must pay for your Sins!

@ Pyscho
OMG I heard someone's sister hates Mario. That confirms him by deconfirming him, which is not actually a real word. (unconfirming is!) :awesome:

@ Shorts
You get it mai boi. That is why you will get DINNER!!!
Sadly, I feel that cuts are likely to happen and I think that third-parties veterans are the lowest priority since there has never been a case where third-parties returned in another cross-over game in the sequel unless it was developed by said company and this game is not being developed by Sega or Konami.
There haven't been 3rd party developer characters that made a fighting game as much money as Sonic or Snake before. The only single character that ever created as much hype was Link in Soul Calibur, and he's a 1st party developer company character.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
OMG guys, I heard Miyamoto hates toad.

I'm sure that makes him deconfirmed
He posted that in response to the notion that Miyamoto liking Toad increased his chances.

Someone did say Miyamoto can somehow get any character he wanted in, which I am skeptical about without a source or any reason why he has that power, but even under the assumption that is true it doesn't really mean he is going to force anyone he likes into the roster.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@SSB Fan: That's pretty much what I said. They need to have unique potential first.

...Whether they come as a clone means nothing, really.

Of course, this applied since after Brawl.

Ninten really has no unique potential and because he has pretty much the same moves as Ness anyway, would be better off as a costume and a Trophy.

Where Pichu actually does have moves Pikachu doesn't, despite him ending up as an easy clone.

Keep in mind I don't mean unique in personality, which clearly doesn't crossover to Smash that well.

@PsychoIncarnate: Please tell me you're paraphrasing it. Miyamoto hates Toad in Mario Kart, specifically.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
He posted that in response to the notion that Miyamoto liking Toad increased his chances.

Someone did say Miyamoto can somehow get any character he wanted in, which I am skeptical about without a source or any reason why he has that power, but even under the assumption that is true it doesn't really mean he is going to force anyone he likes into the roster.
I said that, because MIYAMOTO HIMSELF said that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Although I can't accurately predict what will happen in the future (nor can anybody), I believe Shulk will still retain his spot as critically-marveled cult oriented character. While this niche doesn't guarantee him the best chances (like you said, he still has competition that currently out-classes him), Shulk still represents his own (1st-party, currently new to Nintendo) franchise, (as compared to Ghirahim or Victini, who just represent the most recent iteration). I think this puts him in the same boat as someone like Ness in Smash 64 or Melee, where their game wasn't the most recent (and granted there were two Mother games at that time), but was still held in high regard by critics and a relatively large cult-following, which I believe Shulk also has.

Plus Sakurai stated he's looking for characters from new Nintendo franchises, and unless Dillon starts getting his own series, Shulk is the newest one we have, (although depending on his hypothetical reveal in SSB4, he might no longer be the newest).

However, if Xenoblade starts becoming a series in it's own right, there will be a whole new argument for him.

As for the Duck Hunt Dog, I'm not sure why people say he isn't getting in. I find it likely that we'll get a character few people expect. Like Arcadenik said, people don't hate him, they LOVE to hate him. Some people suggest Sheriff due to them thinking that he was the first character created by Nintendo, but that's not true. Another character I could see as the unexpected one is Diskun, but I think Duck Hunt Dog is more likely, especially with being 20x more well known than Sheriff/Diskun.
I believe that the DHD would work well in Smash (especially as the token WTF or retro character), I just don't find him that likely due to never really expanding from his role as a massive troll that doesn't actually affect the game, even if he is iconic. However, if he did get in, I would be elated. And I also agree that (while not that likely), he is much more likely than Sheriff or Diskun.

I know you asked this awhile ago, but I felt like as a Shulk supporter, I should reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom